Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is the 2010 Honda CR-V Quieter?

hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
Hi,guys
i wanted to find out did 2010 crv got less noisy and more quieter than 2009 and this question can be answer people who drove 2009 and 2010 before making decision on their crv.

Comments

• markk1markk1 Member Posts: 30
    Just purchased a 2010 LX and test drove a 2009 & 2010. Thought the 2010 was noticeably quieter. In fact we thought the 09 was one of the nosiest cars we tested (Forester,Rav4 & Eclipse were all quieter). One item to note is that the 2009 was an EX with a moon roof, I'm not sure if that made a difference. At any rate my new CR-V is very quiet (but not as quiet as my mom's Camry, but it is a lot taller also
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    wind noise intrusion is reduced noticeaby when the interior moon roof "cover" is closed.

All Hondas seem to have above average road noise. I think it due to the use of stiffer bushings and less isolation in the suspension which give the car it's better steering feel. I think they also try and keep the weight and costs down by using less sound proofing material.

Its' worth noting that the new Equinox for example, is much quieter, but uses active noise cancelation and weighs something like 500lbs more.

My '04 Accord also had a fair amount of road noise and our '07 Altima only seems a little quieter.
    According to test results from C&D, the actual noise when crusing at 70mph was average at 69dB. This is compared to 68dB for the Accord, 70dB for the RAV4, and 67dB for the Nissan Altima. Pretty comparable overall.

So the real issue is likely that road noise is slightly louder than the engine noise and wind noise, and therefore seems louder, but the overall volume of each is very quiet.

Example, I can yell inside a library and seem very, very loud. But if I do the same standing on the tarmac at a major airport and you won't be able to hear me at all.

The point boeing, that objectively using sound measuring instruments, the CR-V is no louder than any other vehcile. But subjectively it may be percieved as having more road noise and wind noise in many road conditions.
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    i was looking at my 2009 crv windshield area about seal on bottom area and i found there were no glue but only plastic ,rubber without glue which can explain why so much wind noise then i looked my 2007 honda odessey van which has same situation and i went to autozone where they suggested to use glue which can seal those plastic and rubber....because windshield area cause more wind noise than other part in car......it is more shame on honda part...as every honda car has more road noise/wind noise then toyota and some well know brand

thanks
    hp
    Well, according to C&D, it NOT noiser than the RAV 4. You're trading one sound level for another. I think in the RAV 4 and other cars, the engine noise drowns out the wind and tire noise, the Hondas are the opposite.

FYI - the bottom of the windshield is not exposed ot higher pressure high volocity air. Its' shielded somewhat by the top of the hood and wipers.

Most wind noise is from the mirrors, top of the windshield, A-pillars roof rack, and door frame and seals.

The plastic piece is not tightly glued because it needs to expand and contract due to temperature changes. It's snapped in place, but uses foam rubber to fill the gaps. The gap vaires by temrpature and parts tolerances. It may seem to fit tighter on some cars than others. You could apply some glue, might you might have issues in hot weather with the plastic warping. If the sound level could be reduced just by adding a little adhesive, Honda would have added it to the assmebly procedure.

There isn't more sound proofing in the doors, roof and floor because it addds weight and cost. The CR-V sounds level are already comparable to the competition so there no need.

The new Equinox for example is a little quieter, but not by much, and it's also much, much heavier, more expensive, doesn't handle as well or have good steering feedback.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    i was looking at my 2009 crv windshield area about seal on bottom area and i found there were no glue but only plastic ,rubber without glue which can explain why so much wind noise then i looked my 2007 honda odessey van which has same situation and i went to autozone where they suggested to use glue which can seal those plastic and rubber....because windshield area cause more wind noise than other part in car......it is more shame on honda part...as every honda car has more road noise/wind noise then toyota and some well know brand

thanks
    hp

Take the headunit from the Oddyssey and put it in the CR-V. They should be a simple plug-and-play. you should notice a significant noise reduction. Oddyssey radio has "active noise suppression" component built in, similar to the noise cancelling headphones.
  • bbenbben Member Posts: 3
    Anyone get one of these lately? Trying to get a handle on the dealer mark-up.

The dealer net is $28370 inc Transportation (body side mouldings, fog lights, 4 wd and navigation)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Are definatly quietier. We have no idea what they did but it is actually quite noticible.

Road noise comes up pretty often with Hondas and a lot of this comes from the tires. I changed the tires on our 2003 CRV and noticed quite a difference.

Honda tells us that they can reduce road noise at the expense of the precise handling Hondas are known for. Everything is a trade off.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's good to hear. Or, in this case, not to hear. :shades:
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I have a 1998 EX 4WD CR-V, am about to get new tires, now using Michelin XP radio. Would like to stay with Michelin, but the XP's are noise, thinking of changing to the Hydroedge, do you think this tire would be less nosier on the road. Also thought about trying the Kumho solus KR21 tire, not sure this tire would be a good pick. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Some of the older model Michelins may be a bit quieter, but I'm afraid the issue on Honda is an apparent lack of sound deadening. No matter the tire, you will probably hear more road and suspension noise than on some of the other brands. I imagine some of its competitors have different issues - its all trade-offs when picking a model.
    edited June 2010
    All objective tests using sounds measuring instruments shows the actual sound level is the same or better than other CUV's in it's class. Of course that's a weighted average. Tire noise is more prevalent that on other vehciles, But it might also be a result of having less engien and widn noise. If you increased the engine noise, you'd find the tire noise seems quieter.

The tire noise, most believe is also related to the stiffer bushing or desing of the suspension. It's a trade-off for the steering having good weight and feel unlike most others. Our Nissan Alitma has a numb feel to it in comparison... and my parents Toyota Camry is even worse.

I honestly don't really notice what most complain about. the sound is there on some surfaces, but that's noticeable on all cars I've owned. My wife and I can easily carry conversations just as easily as in our other cars at speed. defnitly quieter than my compact cars.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2010
    I agree, it seems to be a Honda issue, but the Michelin's were just too noisy. I decided to go with the Kumho Solus KR-21, and what an improvement in ride quality and noise reduction, at least a 80 percent improvement. Tried them in the mountains and on some really bad roads under construction, passed the test with flying colors. These are by far the best tires I have used on my CR-V, compared to the Michelin's and the Bridgestones I used in the past. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a smooth quite ride.

Dan
  • kazoo2ukazoo2u Member Posts: 11
    Just a thought for those of you with some time to really tackle this issue.

Just redid all speakers in '08 CRV. At same time, applied sound deadener material [sheets/rolls of black butyl rubber, easy to work with] to inside door panels. Noticed an improvement in road noise sound levels. Looked into the spare tire wheel well - almost all bare metal. :surprise: Got adventurous & removed all lower rear interior panels & carpet under rear seats. Guess what? A lot of bare metal. All of this bare metal acts like a sounding board. Got some sound deadener & good quality trim removal tools. Covered much of the bare metal areas with the sound deadener material. Then replaced trim & spare.

Just got back from a 5441 mi. road trip. [Total mpg - 29.234 @ 70 - 72 using CC whenever possible. :) ] On most roads @ highway speeds, could easily listen to music with volume levels no higher than 12/13. Well worth the time & money investment.
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    Any updates on 2010 or 2011 CRV road noise? My wife has a Pilot. I vowed never to buy another Honda based on the road noise. I am sure some folks have some limited success with different tires, however, most of the noise is transmitted from the road to tire to suspension to frame to the passenger area. The Pilot is so noisy that it makes listening to the radio problematic. Wind noise, not a big issue. Road noise, bad. The question is whether Honda has figured out how to resolve this and whether the new CRV's have a fix installed.

Thanks !
  • rmacarthurrmacarthur Member Posts: 5
    You know when you pay 28-30K for a top of the line CRV you should certainly NOT have to rebuild it to get a quiet ride---that should be standard at least in the top dollar vehicle. Good grief you removed all carpeting and interior panels and paid good money to fix something that should have been standard from Honda. The factory owes owners a fix.
  • researcher8researcher8 Member Posts: 9
    I have rode extensively in Honda CRB (own one), Accord, and Odyssey and they all give my ears problems. They are all very, very noisy. Why doen't Honda fix the problem. It is so irritating. Oe cannot talk inside at road speed.
  • researcher8researcher8 Member Posts: 9
    I do not buy what Honda told you on noise. My other car a 1996 Lexus LS400 is so quiet and it will turn and handle on a dime. Of course, top roofs do cause some wind noise.