Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe

kabhkabh Member Posts: 7
Does anyone know if Hyundai will be redesigning the Santa Fe in 2010 or 2011?

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The Santa Fe will be "refreshed" early next year. New grille, taillights, minor trim changes, etc. The next full-blown makeover won't occur for another 18 months-2 years+.
  • kabhkabh Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your response. Do you know of any place I can see a picture of the redesign?
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    In Canada we have the new 2010 Santa Fe; it's on their site. New 3.5 L engine, tons of other improvements. Looks great.
  • luvwowluvwow Member Posts: 11
    I just test drove this one tonight I had also test drove the 2009 model last summer It was rainy and getting dark so my real test will be tomorrow with my three kids and hubby in tow but I did like how this handled seats were comfortable this was a limited model that I tested was very quiet as well. The acceleration was fine for merging onto the freeway. I test drove equinox earlier in the day and there was a lag in pick up on this car compared to the santa fe and the weight of the doors when closing the santa fe just feels like a safer heavier car. I did see the new tuson on the lot as well love the exterior of the car this one had combo leather on bolsters and arms with hounds tooth design I think on the cloth material not sure if it would be big enough for our three kids and all the stuff we need to carry but I liked it. I think it would be perfect for smaller family or someone that has kids that get along better than mine. They are in van now with space between them. I am cross shopping the kia sorento,and a few other I have tested out tribeca did not like the arm rest on this car did not slide foward enough for me it handled ok.I looked at the gmc terrane I prefer higher seating position this suv is lower than the equinox its sister plus it looks more truck I prefer sleeker cuv or suv with car like driving.
    FYI if you are military there is discount at hyundai plus check usaa with their car buying service see what discounts you can get on any car purchase. :)
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if the Santa Fe is going to be redesigned for MY 2011? Since they did the KIA Sorrento, I figured they would do the Santa Fe shortly after.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    You really need to test drive the Sorento EX. I never thought I would say that, but I did yesterday and was very much impressed. It seemed so much more substantial than the Santa Fe which I drove a Limited V6 FWD today. The Santa Fe was okay, but I liked the Kia so much that I am hoping I can get my wife to go over tonight to drive it. She really loved the Equinox which we drove Sunday. It was the LT2 with everything but Nav and DVD. I was quite impressed with it as well and through my Company I can use the GM Supplier Discount which would save me about $2000. Chevy is not dealing on those vehicles at all. The biggest issue is that you can't find any on the lots. The LT2 we drove was Gold with black leather. We both hate Gold and she will not get black leather. She wants a light color. What got me to give the Kia a try was that Consumer Reports latest issue rated it the third best small SUV/Crossover just behind the CRV and RAV4 which I don't like either. The Sorento I drove was a V6 FWD with every option that brought the retail to just over $33,000.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    Well, I went one of the local Hyundai dealers today. I am looking for a specific configuration on a new Santa Fe and inquired whether they could order one from Hyundai. They said they could but I needed to get the order in ASAP. They claim that Hyundai is shutting down Santa Fe production at the Alabama plant soon and moving it over to the new Georgia plant. When the Georgia plant starts production, it will be a new, redesigned Santa Fe. By redesign they mean all new body, not the 2010 makeover on the lots now. They said the power train options will remain the same though. But I can not find anything anywhere on the web to support this. I would truly like to see some pictures of the new body though to see whether it's worth waiting for. I know I can pick up an SE 3.5L AWD right now in $25k range and the incentives aren't that great yet. But give it a couple more months and they should be better.
    I have asked this question myself in another thread, but drew total silence. I am going to be making a decision tomorrow morning on if I'm buying a 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD. I have looked at the Santa Fe Limited, Toyota Rav4 (too narrow. Middle row might hold three small children across), and Chevy Equinox. I think the Sorento is great, but if the Santa Fe were to be re-designed like the Sorento I might wait. Hopefully someone in the know will respond asap. I am having trouble deciding whether I want to give up my 2004 Mountaineer V8. It is a great vehicle, but terrible on gas. It has so many more features that I would lose by switching to the smaller suvs.
    I called the local Hyundai dealership and asked about the Santa Fe re-design. The Salesman told me that yes it will be a major change in the styling and be on the same chassis as the Sorento in the 2012 model release. The Sorento is a larger vehicle which would be great. Also it probably will offer the Panoramic sunroof. Now I have a very difficult decision. Put a deposit down today on a 2011 Sorento because they have to go out of state to get an EX V6 Fwd with the Premium 2 package in Titanium Silver. Car Max has offered me a great deal to purchase my Mountaineer which expires tomorrow. Or I wait for the Santa Fe because I feel more comfortable with Hyundai's reliability. I'm afraid that with all that's going on in the gulf with the spill and the Obama Administration using it to get Cap and Tax rammed through, that the price at the pump will sky rocket which would make a vehicle with a V8 and AWD that gets 11 to 12 around town worthless next fall when the car is available. What a dilemma.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The 2011 Santa Fe will be almost exactly the same as the 2010 except that it will be built in Georgia rather than Alabama. The new Sorento is based off of the Santa Fe's chassis, not the other way around. Sorento isn't any larger than the Santa Fe: from their websites the wheel bases are exactly the same and the Santa Fe is actually a little bit longer.
    I see that the Santa Fe is actually 1 inch longer, but interiorwise the Sorento is more roomy. 1 inch more rear legroom, though the front seats of the Santa Fe offer an addtional inch which is unneeded unless your 6'6" or taller, and with the back row of seats down it has 37 Cu. ft of cargo space versus I think 31 for the Santa Fe. Same Engine and apparantly the same chassis already. My bad on that. Essentially they are the same vehicles except the Santa Fe's exterior is just a bit outdated. Also, CR rates the Sorento much better than the Santa Fe. When Santa Fe is re designed I'm sure it will be beautiful. Anyways, try driving both and you will find that the Sorento just feels like a more substantial vehicle. Thanks for the Information. I have a feeling that when the Santa Fe comes out I'll be wishing that I waited once more year.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    I don't know if a 2 or 3 point difference in a Consumer Reports rating counts as a much better score, but Santa Fe is recommended and Sorento is not. Also, Santa Fe was a Consumer Reports Top Pick a couple of years ago, but I don't know about Sorento's history with CR. Sorento has a more squared-off exterior design which increases the cargo carrying capacity, has a more updated dash and more sporty handling. Santa Fe has sleeker styling which gives up cargo capacity, a better ride and a longer history of safety and other awards. But Sorento is outselling Santa Fe. That may be due to super-hot- selling Sonata being built in the same Alabama factory as Santa Fe, and Hyundai may be skewing production toward Sonata and away from Santa Fe.
    CR stated that Santa Fe's Fit & Finish had slipped. The Sorento is not recommended for only one reason and one reason only. It is too new according to CR. You better hope it's recommended because starting 2012 both cars will be the same vehicle and are essentially the same now with the same drive train. I also don't know what you are looking at when you state the Sorento is more squared off. Have you really looked at the Sorento? You have to understand that I'm not trying to put down the Santa Fe. I like Hyundai vehicles. My wife and I wanted to downsize from our beloved 2004 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 because we only have one kid at home now who will be leaving for College next year. Not to mention the savings in gas if the Sorento lives up to it's EPA rating. If only the Santa Fe would have been updated this year, but our Mountaineer's trade in value had actually increased from what it was two years ago when gas prices were nearing $4 per gallon. We could not take the chance that gas prices would be skyrocketing next year. The Sonata and Genesis are beautiful and I'm sure the Santa Fe will be just as sharp in 2012. I bought a new Sonata back in 2003 and gave it to my adult daughter back in the fall of 2008 when I replaced it with a 2009 Fusion. It now has near 70,000 miles on it. That's why I am so open to buying Hyundai or Kia vehicles. You can't beat the value and the reliability is now matching that of the Japanese Automakers.
  • jaytrjaytr Member Posts: 1
    There are some important improvements in the 2011 Santa Fe:
    Better gas mileage
    Stronger V6 engine (276 hp vs 242 hp in previous)
    Quicker acceleration (maybe 0-60 in 7.5 sec vs. previous 8.2)
    Styling: exterior changes
    Bluetooth and USB become standard
    ">link title
    We think it's worth waiting until Fall 2010 for this 2011 Santa Fe.

Read this 2011 Santa Fe Preview
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Those are the specs for the 2010 Santa Fe already. Those changes arrived after the first of the year. The next big change for the Santa Fe is scheduled for the 2012 model I believe.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Correct...I would not be suprised if they have a short 2011 MY run, or may skip it altogether...Keep in mind that 2012's can show up as early as January 2011.
  • dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2010
    Well, as most already know, Hyundai moved the Santa Fe production from their Alabama plant to the new KIA plant in Georgia. And they started production of the 2011 Santa Fe on September 27th. It never made any sense to me why they would go through the hassles and costs of moving production for the current body just to squeeze out 1 more year with it. Seriously, the stamping presse are huge and staging the lines is no easy task either. But I finally got some "official" word from the Hyundai rep that the 2011 will in fact have some new sheet metal and lines. It is supposed to bring the appearance more in line with the Tucson. The changes are officially being dubbed a refresh instead of a redesign. And it is not the same as the minor updates seen with the 2010 run. It does have new curves to it. And they say that they will continue to offer 3 trim levels. The powertrain options will also be carry-overs. And they do plan to offer some new colors too. Official release date is October 15th.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2010
    Nothing new today....

Why would they do a refreshed Santa Fe last year (more than a refresh considering the engine upgrades), and another refresh this year, when a brand new redesign is close on the horizon?

I guess we still have to wait and see.
    Sounds like relatively minor changes in trim levels for 2011, with a full redesign coming for 2012.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/kia-georgia-plant-starts-2011-hyundai-santa-fe- -production-25001.html

"Compared to the 2010 version, the new Santa Fe comes equipped with six standard airbags, including side air curtain airbags, ABS with BA, EBD, ESC, three-point seatbelts and adjustable head restraints and Tire Pressure Monitoring System."
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    "Compared to the 2010 version, the new Santa Fe comes equipped with six standard airbags, including side air curtain airbags, ABS with BA, EBD, ESC, three-point seatbelts and adjustable head restraints and Tire Pressure Monitoring System."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I have all of that on my '08 SF?
    edited November 2010
    It's probably just changes in trim. More standard kit on the lower-end models perhaps?

Hyundai USA has updated their webpage now, so you can get the full details as to what's changed, if anything.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe/
  • rppautorppauto Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2010
    i bought 2011 santa FE AWD SE few weeks ago in central NJ.

i noticed that it does not have the twin exhaust below rear fender. i didn;t notice it until after i bought the suv.

hmm.....

few things i didn't like about the vehicle..

vehicle rolls a lot a low speed traffic light turns (suspension is a bit weird. BUT its perfect on the freeways)

rear seat vents do not throw any heat even after 10 minutes of good heat in the front vents

- When i stop the acceleration (# front seat passenger seat does not recliner completely forward (i mean, it does not fold down all the way).

#
    Average speed calculator is a total joke. i have 700 miles on the car out of which 500+ are due to my trip from NJ to DC, but the Average mph shows me as 37mph.
    Useless.

pluses....

# smooth
    #good value for money in terms of features offered

# good cargo space

#better looks than RAv4

# good packaging of the features

# windshield de-icer.

If you are pondering between rav4 and Santa FE and mpg is IMP to you then RAV4 is the way to go. believe me, i have researched every SUV in the range of 20k - 35k in the last 2yrs :)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited November 2010
    Strange about the rear heat vents. I read in a Hyundai Forum elsewhere that you can get heat only after all the rear heat duct warm up, and they go a long ways in cold metal and plastic. Others just turn off the rear vents in winter for short trips. I'm looking at this vehicle as well, and not happy to hear that those cool-looking vents aren't that useful.
    Thanks for your comment.
    OK. if there is "separate" heat duct, then it may explain the delay.

But, i thought i was using just the engine heat (my "A/C" was OFF).
    So, i am not sure on this.

My wife gets royally pissed as she and baby sit in the rear seat and buying this non-Honda / non-Toyota "SUV" was my idea : )

For now, i have turned OFF the front vents.

BTW, if you test drive ur SF then try checking the suspension during turns and bumps.
    I think Hyundai could have done better here. and also check MPG if you can.

Feel free to ask me if you have more Qs.
    edited November 2010
    The GLS AWD model I drove had no suspension noises, even going rather quickly over speed bumps in my neighborhood (just to test that). I wonder if the AWD suspension is refined for the rear-driveline?

As to the heater - this truly sucks. Close 'em down for winter, I guess. At least you'll have the rear vents in summer for A/C or Venting.

From the owner's Manual:

"• The air flow of the 2nd row outlet vents is controlled by the front climate control system and delivered through the inside air duct of the front doors. If the door is open or not closed completely, the air flow of the 2nd row outlet vent is not delivered properly. Make sure the front doors are closed completely.

• The air flow of the 2nd row outlet vents may be weaker than the instrument panel vents for the long air duct in the front doors.

• Close the air vents in cold weather. The air flow of the 2nd row outlet vents may
    cool a little during heating operation. (Use the 2nd row outlet vents during
    cooling operation.)"

So, as a workaround, it looks like there are heating ducts under the front seats, just for the back seat passengers. So maybe use just the "Floor" setting for heat, and close off those rear side vents.
    Yes, i see ducts on the floor below the front seats.
    Let me try that tomorrow.

Thanks a lot, buddy.

Ya, my SF's suspension seems kicky. I mean, when there are speed bumpers, the suspension seems to "kick" off the bump (rather than absorb it), thus leading to a bit of bumpy ride.

Similiary, during turns, if the road is uneven that it does have that see-saw effect.
    May be its just me.

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Have you played with the tire pressures?
    tire pressure is OK. i don't remember the psi but i remember that it was as per the tire spec.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2010
    Only thing else I can think of is to wait and see if other new owners (or more test drivers) notice the same thing. Could just be a vehicle characteristic. You could always go test drive another one yourself too.
    CR found the same issue with suspension noise. I can only assume that since my rental was AWD, the slightly more complicated rear suspension on it prevented the noises. The rear suspension in mine was silent in the 600 miles I drive it, even over speed bumps and up driveway aprons.
  • virgil5virgil5 Member Posts: 1
    You don't have to forget the use of 2nd row vents; this is a real feature that works well... when you do this little operation. I have a 07 Santa Fe and when the first winter with this SUV arrived, I had the same problem. But, i tried this and since then, it works very well. 1) when the heat is beggining to exit from the front vents, close the 2 front vents beside the doors (for me, it's enough but you can close also the 2 front vents each side of the radio); in less than 1 minute, the heat is going to exit from the 2nd row vents. It looks like all the heat comming from the front is ''pushing'' the cold air inside the ducts to the 2nd row vents. When the warm air exits from the 2nd row vents, you can now open the front vents and the heat is now coming out from all the vents.
    thanks. yes, i think that would work.

but without such a workaround, i dont get heat in rear vents even after 15 minutes and 20miles.
    my dealer is checking on it.

will keep you posted
  • viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    Based on message traffic from Santa Fe owners on transmission problems one should think twice on a new 2011 that has the same drive train as the 2010.
  • rmingrming Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have a link to any information on possible changes for the 2012 Santa Fe? I want to replace my 03 Camry with an SUV. I have narrowed down to the Santa Fe and the Sorento. On 2011 models, Santa Fe is the winner, but it is lacking a few small features that the Sorento has. I like the interior styling on the Santa Fe much better. One big knock on the Sorento is the red interior lights. I had a rental Optima and I could hardly stand the red lights at night. However the Sorento has push button start and turn signal indicators built into the side mirrors. These are not deal breakers, but it would be nice to have on the Santa Fe if just waiting a few more months on the 2012's adds these features.

I am not in a hurry to buy and it will probably be sometime in the fall at the earliest. Also, I would consider the Sorento more favorably if the 2012 ditches the red lights in favor of green or blue. Since the Santa Fe had a pretty major restyle in 2010, I would not expect a major restyle for 2012, but I could be wrong. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    One other thing that was missing on the Santa Fe was reverse sensors. It had a back up camera, but it is very difficult to judge distances with it. I bought a Sorento EX V6 and it had both. I personally liked the Sorento inside and out over the Santa Fe. The red lights are bad on a bright sunny day when you have sun glasses on. Can't see any of them. Just as bad as the green lights on my 2009 Fusion. I have a feeling the Sorento and Santa Fe will be pretty much alike interior wise in 2012. They are now being built on the same assembly line that Kia built. I have no idea why these companies chose these colors. Didn't anybody test them before hand?
  • rmingrming Member Posts: 9
    You are right. I forgot about the back up sensors. I would like that feature too. I had a pretty long list of stuff I wanted at the best price possible so I figured I would have to compromise on a few things.

I agree with your assesment. With these two vehicles already being so similar and now on the same assembly line, I was hoping that the extra Sorento goodies might find their way to the Santa Fe in 2012. Will wait and see.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Are the 2010-11 Sorrento owners complaining as much about the transmission problems as we Sante Fe owners are ???
    If so, there should be a huge cloud of suspecion over the purchase of either one.
  • jerry158jerry158 Member Posts: 5
    Kia is building and shipping the 2012 Sorentos now (see my post under 2011 Sorento for the changes) but has not updated their website to mention the 2012.

Would think the 2012 Santa Fe would be shortly behind.
    There is in fact a recall on the 4 cylinder Sorento. Fortunately I own a V6. I'm sure any problems in future builds will have been addressed now that they have discovered a problem.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Unfortunately, the transmission problems are showing up in the 6 cylinder
    AWD. Don't be so certain that problems in " future builds " have been addressed since Hyundai is not even fessing up to the Transmission issues.
    Try this link for the details of some very good additions to the 2012 Sorento. Maybe Santa Fe will be the same. http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/whatsnew2012.php
    Here's more from the Kia forum website:

Changes of note:
    - LX I4 Trim - I4 GDI is added to AWD's and as an option on FWDs as part of convenience package. Adds 16hp and +3mpg. Also adds protection to cloth seats.

- LX V6 Trim - Lowered price as 3rd row is now optional.

- EX Trims - Adds UVO with back up camera, voice control, hard drive in dash, text message vocalization, etc. Newly designed wheel hubs (5 spoke vs 10), protection to cloth seats, LED interior illumination. New packages allow for power pax seat, memory seat and mirror, power folding mirrors.

- SX - adds stainless steel rear bumper protector, back up warning sensor, heated (now 3 settings) and ventilated drivers seat, memory seat/mirror, power folding mirrors, wood trimmed/heated steering wheel, cloth covered pillars, power pax seat and Black Dove offered as interior on all colors.

Packages:

PK1 - Leather, heated seats, auto dim mirror with homelink, folding mirrors, memory seat/mirror, power pax seat, navigation, infiniti sound, 3rd row. Available on EX 2.4

PK2 - Leather, heated seats, auto dim mirror with homelink, power pax seat, infiniti sound, pana roof. Available on EX 3.5l

PK3 - pana roof (SX Only)

LPK - Auto dim mirror, folding mirrors, memory seat/mirror, navigation, ventilated seats

Prices (I am only interested in 3 AWD models so thats all I priced)
    73442 EX 2.4 GDI with PK1 - MSRP 31450 INV 29600
    74442 EX 3.5 with LPK and PK2 - MSRP 34980 INV 32830
    74482 SX with pana roof - MSRP 36350 INV 34060
  • mdawggmdawgg Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where and/or how I can download the owner's manual for a 2011 Santa Fe?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hyundaisales2hyundaisales2 Member Posts: 1
    The 2012 Kia's are grounded and the 2012 Sante Fe's are not because of 2 reasons... They are protecting potential transmission issues in their first build cycle by adding a more enhanced chip. TRANSMISSION ISSUES are a rumour like the pedals in a Toyota. Its a simple computer Chip problem. Also, 2012 not grounded yet because late 2010 Hyundai was contemplating going back to a 7 passenger sante fe
    The 2012 Kia's are grounded and the 2012 Sante Fe's are not because of 2 reasons... They are protecting potential transmission issues in their first build cycle by adding a more enhanced chip. TRANSMISSION ISSUES are a rumour like the pedals in a Toyota. Its a simple computer Chip problem. Also, 2012 not grounded yet because late 2010 Hyundai was contemplating going back to a 7 passenger sante fe

What do you mean by "Grounded" hyundaisales?
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    I was wondering the same thing...what does grounded mean?....BTW, I have a 2011 SF with 4,000 miles on it and so far , so good with the tranny.
  • chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    If you followed the Sante Fe Transmission Thread, you would see that the issues with the 2010-2011 are beyond the rumor stage. After several computer updates and even tranny replacements, many of us are still experiencing the rough shifts and mechanical SLAMS
  • higgledyhiggledy Member Posts: 28
    Does the Santa Fe share the same chassis and drivetrain with the Kia Sorrento?