Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Touring Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    edited July 2010
    I'm not a fan of SUV's, so it is hard to recommend any. However, when I was shopping the ET, the Hyundai Tucsan had a LOT more travel on the driver's seat than the ET. It gets one mile per gallon better gas mileage too due to the 6 speed automatic transmission. The down side of the Tucsan is that visibility is much worse than the ET, and the rear seating is awful as the C pilar makes it hard to get in and out of it. The storage compartments are actually better on the ET as well. Nonetheless, if you are mainly concerned about driver comfort, the Tucsan is a winner. The highly proclaimed Sonata may also work, I can't remember. Again, I was turned off by the awful rear head room on the vehicle. I pay for 4 seats, I'd like to get 4 adults in any vehicle I buy. That is why the ET was so appealing. Incredible room and features for very little money. I did not get as great a deal as everyone else $18,200 out the door for a GLS with PP #2, Bluetooth, floor mats and rear cargo liner.
  • hyundaivirginhyundaivirgin Member Posts: 8
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the MPG figures are EPA estimates, and these come not from driving the car but from simply measuring how much fuel is burned with the engines running at different paces on a stationary testbed. MPGs for SUVs usually end up worse than estimated (because the EPA is not figuring for wind resistance enough or at all?). This is borne out by real-world values where the Touring consistently beats the EPA numbers but the Tucson does not. There are articles on the web on the Equinox being an especially poor performer relative to EPA numbers.
    that is very true. There have been repeated complaints of Tucsan owners not coming close to the EPA numbers
    How'd that Costco promotion work out for you? I didn't even think of Costco when I bought my car this time because my previous experiences with the Costco Auto Program prices were not good, but your price sounds excellent. Do all Hyundai dealers in your area work with Costco, and did they let you choose any Touring in stock?
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2010
    It appears there will be few changes.
    Can anyone confirm the Carbon Grey color is being discontinued ?
    Has anyone seen the titanium color?
    I believe the Titanium is between the silver and carbon grey in darkness???
    BTW So far the silver roof rack looks strange on most colors vs. black!
    Will production for 2011 ETs be stepped up a lot over 2010s?
    2010's are about gone where I am...
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    edited July 2010
    If Huyndai offered Popular Package with GLS manual, I would wait for 2011 and skip the end-of-model-year $1K discount.

BTW, gray is my favorite color on that car, but it is no longer available in the above configuration in my area.
  • bikracerncbikracernc Member Posts: 2
    It seems I have the opportunity to buy a '10 ET GLS AT for $14,309 (MSRP $18,309) in NC. They have others at the same price. What do you guys think?
    What do you mean by "too good"? Is it a legit dealer?
  • bikracerncbikracernc Member Posts: 2
    I was told if we were a loyal Hyundai owner (we are) or a recent college grad )it's been a few years, so no) that we qualify for the rice. I just haven't seen anyone getting that low of a price online.
    Of course it is a good price, but personnally, I would not get one without PP#2 and Bluetooth.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Since the 2011's appear to be dropping Carbon Gray I am looking for a new color I like on the ET. White of course is old reliable. Does anyone know of a website that has REAL photos of ET's in Atlantic Blue or the 2011 Titanium. So far only spot I could find was the Hyundai/Canada site. Even then it was just a color swatch.
    Also,If I hold out for the SE version... what will be the impact of the 17" tires. Will the car sit higher even with the lower profile tires (60's?). I had a Vibe with the 55's and never really warmed up to them. Expensive to replace and would occassionally 'float' on snow because of their wide track.
    Any common problems owners are finding with ET's so far?
    Thanks.
  • maxchemaxche Member Posts: 4
    That's really a good price......
    the Polar White is a spectacular color on the ET. It really accentuates the silver trim. The 17 inch tires are much more harsh to ride on than the GLS' 15 inch tires. I went for the GLS for that very reason. I have had two Vibes (2003, 2009) and think the ET GLS with PP#2 is a much better vehicle. I just wish the driver's seat went back another 2 inches. As such, I drive the '09 Vibe and the wife drive's the ET.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    I'm looking for an auto ET 2010 in the Raleigh, NC area. What dealer gave you the $14K+ price?
  • thinkingofbuythinkingofbuy Member Posts: 2
    Ha-of course the dealer made a mistake (of course, right)? The real price is 16,191. They are now offering me $800 more for my trade, but unless they come down from 16,191 or offer even more, I won't be buying there. Modern Hyundai of Concord (near CLT).
    Just pulled the trigger on 2011 Gray GLS Manual. $15.5K + tax & lic. Will take delivery in a few days. Capitol Hyundai of San Jose.
    Congrats. See you on the 101. I'll be in the grey GLS with roof racks.
    I'm a 280 guy. :)

Of course I forgot to ask about OTD price, so I fully expect an interesting discussion about hidden junk fees when I show up to take delivery (just chalk it up to previous experience with dealers). ;)

Speaking of roof racks, I still can't comprehend why Hyundai does not allow PP#2 on a GLS with manual. Telescopic steering wheel and roof racks were options I would have definitely bought if Hyundai offered them. Seems like unnecessary loss of revenue to Hyundai.
    I'm with you on Hyundai's limited options. I wished they would have offered beige with carbon grey too.
  • heyheymamaheyheymama Member Posts: 5
    $16633 OTD. Bought over the internet after contacting two different dealerships.
    My dealer posts pics of all their cars, and they have one in the Regatta Blue at http://www.cammisahyundai.com/VehicleDetails/769307273. Currently they don't have Atlantic Blue or Titanium. They do also have a 2011 in Carbon Gray, contrary to what you heard.
    That's an excellent price. Where did you get it from?
    Where are you located? Is there no sales tax in your area?
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    What was your price before tx/lic/doc. And, that was a 2010 Elantra Touring or a 2011 ? And, was that auto trans. ?
    Absolute Hyundai, Mesquite, TX - suburb of Dallas
    Absolute Hyundai, Mesquite, TX - suburb of Dallas. Sales Tax is .0625. See my reply to post #128 for breakdown.
    My subject line had the car's spec: 2010 Automatic GLS PP#2
    Also, it's Polar White with beige interior

Breakdown:
    Price of vehicle $16490.69
    Rebate $ 1000.00
    Tax $ 968.17
    Vehicle Inventory Tax $ 36.59
    Tag $ 75.80
    Title & Inspection $ 61.75
    --------------------------------------------------
    OTD $16633.00
    Let me add that I did not negotiate. I emailed an offer for $16633 OTD. One dealership counteroffered at a higher price. My second dealer, Absolute Hyundai, agreed to meet it. Absolute chose how to break out the subtotals, which I copied here from the final invoice. We spent two hours at the dealership kicking tires, test driving, and completing the paperwork; we got no hassles.
    hwyhoto wrote:
    > For those who are tall with long legs, if you bought the GLS manual, how
    > do you find the driving position after a while? Are you comfortable?

Well, I have found out and answered in this thread:

hwyhobo, "2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring Seats" #1, 27 Jul 2010 11:37 pm
    I have PP#2 with auto. I like the telescoping steering, but as I am tall, I don't find the HET very compfy on the gas pedal. I need another 2 inches of travel in the seat rail. Again, since I am not the primary driver, I don't mind. It is a shame that H did not allow the seat to go back further, and allow you manual owners a bit more creature comforts.
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    I guess being 5-11 and lightweight makes the ET just right for me. I took it into the high sierras for my annual rock climbing trip, and the tight curves with no one around was fantastic, especially using the manual transmission. I wish it had a little more power for coming out of the tight curves but I'll take the great mileage instead.

My 2010 ET SE manual has been great on the highway, I actually can drive long distances without getting lower back fatigue like my old 94 4-runner. The only thing is that if I put my seat back too far, I can't depress the clutch all the way to the floor, but it's just a matter of finding my seat position again.
  • 67gtx67gtx Member Posts: 9
    I am 5'10" with long legs and I have a 2010 GLS manual trans which does not have the telescoping wheel. When I adjust the seat for the proper distance from the wheel, the seat bottom is too close so my thighs to not come in contact with the seat bottom hense, there is no thigh support, which is very uncomfortable after just a short drive. What I did was remove the two front seat bolts and placed a shime under the seat frame which, when longer bolts a reinstalled, lifts the front of the seat up about 1.5 inches. This perfect for me because my thighs are supported by the seat all the way to the end of the cushion. THIS GREATLY IMPROVES THE COMFORT OF THE SEAT!!! This should work well for anyone who has no thigh support
  • dmxrobdmxrob Member Posts: 4
    2010 Elantra Touring GLS, PP#2, everything but bluetooth and sunroof. They are asking $18,000 (including 1k rebate). This is in Zip code 65201. Am I being taken for a ride here? That seems mighty high for a 2010 model with 2011's lining the lot.
    :confuse:
  • crowheartcrowheart Member Posts: 36
    That is a rip-off! I paid 15,952 for my 2010 GLS with the PP#2 Auto in May with the 1000 dollar rebate applied. I know for a fact you can get them cheaper now.
    That is pretty outrageous that they are starting that high, look elsewhere.

True Car for you zip code shows
    http://www.truecar.com/Hyundai/Elantra_Touring/2010/best-price-report-9E21F542.h- tml?colorInfo=Black%20Noir%20Pearl,Beige,6292_001_NKA.jpg&optionInfo=6618694,635- 9422,6618700,6359417&incentiveIds=3000269889&trimId=320561&modelId=19971&zipcode- =65201
    They are rip-offs...
  • woodgnomewoodgnome Member Posts: 2
    Is 13,995 + ttl a good price for a new 2010 ET GLS, MT with added door and fender guards, pin striping and nitrogen inflated tires?
    Nitrogen inflated tires? :surprise:
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Totally unnecessary as regular is made up of almost 90% nitrogen. We got it free awhile back and honestly, felt no difference & the tires lost it just like having free regular air. Skip it and save the $!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• woodgnomewoodgnome Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,
    So what do you think about the overall price offer?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Sounds like a great price, and just remember, the new 2011 version is due out soon. So if you're intent on getting a 2010 model and there is sufficient inventory in color, etc., I'd go for it. Good luck!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• misterbillmisterbill Member Posts: 60
    I read a review of the 2011 model and there are very minimal changes. Unless there is a concern that getting the 2010 will reduce the resale value when you sell it, I'd say go for it.
  • tyler1032tyler1032 Member Posts: 3
    MSRP on the car is $18,125 the sale price on it is $15,125 plus t.t.l. This includes the $1,000 rebate and the $500 finance bonus. I did 60 month term at $298 with 3.9% financing and some change for 60 months with zero out of pocket. This was without the trade as well. With my trade ($600) and gap insurance I'm paying 290.44 for 60 months.

Deal or no Deal?

The car is a new 2010 Vivid Blue/Black fabric 2010 Elantra Touring GLS with an automatic transmission. The car has carpeted floor mats and mud guards.
    So you are saying the car is really $16,625+ttl for a GLS that does NOT have the Preferred Package #2, correct or $1,500 off of MSRP?
    they took 1500 off MSRP as a sale price and no it doesn't have the preferred package. Just mud guards and floor mats. Then they took an additional 1500 in rebates off the cost. So 3,000 less than MSRP.
    edited November 2010
    I paid $18,372 out the door for my GLS with Preferred Package #2, bluetooth and floor mats. It seems I paid around $900 more than everyone else at the time. So if I could have lived without the color I wanted and not gotten the car with bluetooth, I could have bargained for about $17,472. If they are wanting $15,100 + about $500 ttl, you are at $15,600. That sounds like a good deal to me. My only caution would be on getting a car these days without bluetooth since the hands free law will eventually cover all 50 states. I got exactly the car I wanted and will very likely get the 2012 HET when it comes out. I think that highly of the car, and I know you will too. Good luck and happy T-day.
    Thanks! Yeah this car was for my wife. I can't wait to see the 2012 ET after seeing the new redesign of the Hyundai Elantra. I'll probably get a stick shift version of it when it releases. Glad you're happy with yours. We are too!
  • mantis60mantis60 Member Posts: 1
  • emccdedemccded Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011Elantra Touring SE with manual trans. I paid $16,600 plus a trade of my 2000 Mazda Millenia with 150K miles. I think the trade amounted to about $2K so the cost of the car was about $18,600. It came w/the Bluetooth (a great option) plus the cargo net, iPod cable and carpeted mats. MSRP was $20,720 and had a $500 cash back offer, so the list price could be considered as $20,220. I think it's easier to negotiate on a manual transmission model.
  • bear7bear7 Member Posts: 10
    We just bought a new 2011 Touring mainly for my wife to drive. I did a LOT of research and test drove a LOT of cars before buying. I looked at the Scion xB, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Prius, Honda Insight, Mazda 5, Golf, and Chevy Cruze. It was exhausting.

I read good things about the German-designed i30 (Touring in the US), the great H warranty and reasonable price. I admit I've had a lifelong prejudice against H cars (I remember the Excel! Scorpios never forget!) But I test drove the Touring because it seemed to have everything we needed. After test driving and liking the European-style ride, I used TrueCar.com for a quote and got two quotes from VA dealers (Gateway & Pohanka). Pohanka's was lower but Gateway is nearby and their Internet salesperson quickly agreed to match Pohanka's. We got a new '11 Touring GLS, A/T, PEP #2, mats, iPod cable and rear bumper protector for $16,560 including delivery, dealer prep & rebates. This is at least a couple of thousand below invoice. We are extremely happy with the car, the dealer, the warranty and the no-BS purchasing experience. No more overpriced Hondas for me. :D
  • vincent607vincent607 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Elantra Touring SE with auto trans. I paid $20,448 (no trade) OTD. It came with a cargo net, cargo tray, iPod cable, wheel locks and carpeted mats. There was a $500 cash back offer and I paid 7% sales tax in DeKalb County, GA as part of the price above. It is dark gray exterior. Could of had vivid blue for cheaper, but could not look at that for 5+ years.
  • bear7bear7 Member Posts: 10
    Yikes! 7% seems high for a sales tax. In Virginia we pay 3% on cars and 5% on everything else. Yeah, Hyundai is doing $500 cash back on 2011s and $1,000 cash back on 2010s. But we wanted a "new, new" car! SE must be nice..leather, etc. I personally have to pay for, insure, maintain, and gas 4 cars for my family (4 adults) so I try to economize as much as I can. Damn, how I wish I lived in a U.S. or European city on a subway or tram line! I'm a new Hyundai owner and so far, so good!