Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kerryjthkerryjth Member Posts: 67
    Hey Host Guys/Gals,

You are right and I have decided to take my lumps and not use the cupholder (dealer suggested I place a towel over the MMI) and to NEVER buy an AUDI product again ...

Also to be a vocal advocate on how lousy AUDI products and customer service is to friends and relatives ... which may seem like pissing in the Atlantic BUT you would be surprised how influential word of mouth (word of web) is on high proice item purchase decision ....

On the McDonald's anaology 1 flaw... Mc DOnald's fixed the problem so it would not recur VS. just to stop selling coffee ... AUDI's solution is stop using the product as designed.....

Why cant they just seal the UNIT - especially given they could have done it while they replaced the unit .. even better yet tell their supplier to seal the next version...

You guys provide a great service here and I wish I had used it before I made the $60K mistake .... I know one of the posters said "Why would audi waste their time reading your posts" I think any good marketer knows voice of the customer ( this is known as opposite of arrogance) is key to success so scanning your posts would be a great & CHEAP source of market intell....

THX!

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

• dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    and working directly for Audi are 2 different things. Audi isn't designing cars for people to drink their coffee in.

We live in a litigious society where people are always looking to send blame somewhere else.

The reason why they put the MMI where it is, is it's the most ergonomic place, and least distracting for the driver.

You can buy a car that has great cup holders, the only problem is then you'd be driving a Lexus, and that's about all they are good for.
  • larislaris Member Posts: 11
    LOL! I LOVE this! This is great...I have had my '08 4.2 since Feb. and haven't had a single problem. I keep my coffee in the armrest and have never even remotely bumped it. I think you are right, this IS a good design in terms of ease of use, my old Touareg ( loved that car ) was a tad more distracting to use. I have excellent service with Audi Canada, they are awesome. I find it so hard to believe that Audi doesn't listen to complaints, they are VW, and as of recently, Porsche as well. Pretty well reputed car companies.
    My only complaint is that there is not enough space for my crap in the armrest or the glovebox...

All this fuss reminds me of how 60 Minutes did that documentary on Audi's back in the 80's when people were saying the car accelerated by itself...and it turned out to be women under 5'4 who mistook the gas for the brake.

I disagree about the Lexus though, if you want cup holders, buy a Ford Flex, you can get a fridge in it too :shades: ....
    Steve stated "I've just seen the photos, but the placement of the cupholder sounds like a design flaw to me"

Maybe we can all AGREE on 1 thing

the tilted forward cupholder above the unsealed MMI is a poor design.

Assume we all agree on that AUDI should just admit the flaw and fix it ! Just take a smart engineer assign it to her/him for a few days and PRESTO !!

Why is that such an unreasonable request ?

• mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    Maybe we can all AGREE on 1 thing

the tilted forward cupholder above the unsealed MMI is a poor design.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree again. The cupholder is not tilted forward (but is, of course, above the MMI). Here is a picture from my Q7. The armrest may be tilted forward, but the cupholder remains pretty much level.

edit: the original picture was too big for this site so I reduce it.

The full sized pic can be viewed here in case you're interested
    check this out ... I really wish I had used this SITE before spending the $60K on the Q7 ,,, so does this customer...

from EDMONDS customer reviews AUDI 2007 Q7...

Wish I would've done my homework

Written by: schwartzps on 10/29/2008

Detailed Ratings

Overall Rating
    Performance: 6 Fun-to-Drive: 8 Build Quality: 4
    Comfort: 6 Interior Design: 3 Reliability: 4
    Fuel Economy: 4 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 quattro 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Review

Like many of you I fell in love with the Q7. I've had it a year here's my issues: electrical system went out (brains of the car), fuel gage failed, 3 tire flat tires within 1 year. Also had the same problem as someone earlier as a very small amount of liquid spilled next to the drink cups. It shorted my system to the tune of $1,000. Love the car and hate the car at the same time.

Favorite Features

Overall look, sunfroof, navigation system, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Seal off electrical by the cup holders. Allow room to remove items that fall between the front seats (black hole)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yeah but you could suggest those improvement for just about every new car on earth.

Take a 20 oz cup of coffee, put it in ANY cupholder on any new car, and then pour it out on whatever is underneath the cupholder.

I bet you'll cause *serious* mayhem in 90% of the cars.

Modern cars are all about design compromise. The content is complex, the electronics mind-boggling (way more than the 1969 lunar lander, well over 70 microprocessors) but fuel efficiency requires ZERO wasted space and no extra weight.

Things will just collide on a modern car, somewhere. If not your misfortune, other car owners will suffer similar misfortunes. You cannot totally mishap-proof a car or a house, can't be done.

Best you can hope for is that your complaint will result in a design change someday (maybe).
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW you took a picture!!!!!

u prove the soda can is level in the cupholder BUT the CUPHOLDER is SLANTED (a.k.a. not level ) toward the UNSEALED MMI SYSTEM...

what happens with a L or XL Dunkin Donuts Coffee cup is it can easily spill because the cupholder is TILTED ...

So back to my point.. Can we all agree with STEVE on potential design flaw

the tilted forward cupholder above the unsealed MMI is a poor design.(even if a coke can is level - LMAO )

we should all plan a tailgate party so we can discuss in person .. Hamilton can you invite the lady that spilled the beer too...

LMAO
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW you took a picture!!!!!

u prove the soda can is level in the cupholder BUT the CUPHOLDER is SLANTED (a.k.a. not level ) toward the UNSEALED MMI SYSTEM...

what happens with a L or XL Dunkin Donuts Coffee cup is it can easily spill because the cupholder is TILTED ...

Like I said, I think that we'll have to agree to disagree again. However, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, so I won't really take umbrage over the fact that you are challenging my integrity and claiming that I am or have doctored the picture. Here's an idea. PROVE me wrong. Show me that the cupholder is really tilted forward towards the MMI.

As for the X or XL Dunkin Donuts cup? I've had them in there too. Yes, they're taller and pose a greater risk at tipping, the circumference also increases (e.g. cone shaped) so it is actually held in more securely than the Coke can.

So back to my point.. Can we all agree with STEVE on potential design flaw

the tilted forward cupholder above the unsealed MMI is a poor design.(even if a coke can is level - LMAO )

Um. No, we can't all agree, because I have already should evidence contrary to your opinion.

--------

As an aside...I think it speaks volumes that the most talked about issue on the "Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair" forum is the design of the cupholder (whether that is due to a lack of readership or a lack of actual/real problems). I remember when we had our Touareg and the boards were filled with complaints left and right.

Anyway, I'm sure kerryjth will bring us back to our regularly schedule programming... :P
    Hey Mr.Shiftright... in most cases your point is valid however this is such a basic obvious design flaw and it COSTS $1000 to repair so its not just a carpet clean bill. Check you site I am not alone in this complaint etc...

I checked with BMW and Mercedes and they BOTH seal their interior electronics from liquids i.e. typical spills Why can't AUDI ?

AUDI need to step up and admit the flaw and fix it ... their arrogance is unbelievable!

HERE YA go guys ... REVIEW from a 2008 Q7owner... AUDI WOULD NOT EVEN repair the MMI from her 1st SPILL like they did mine... Note she too discovered it is a "EXTREMELY COMMON PROBLEM" from Edmund's posts ... but she too read it TOO LATE !

WOW ! AUDI ARROGANCE GROWS ! (did not think possible !)

They are the BEST !!!

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Disappointed

Written by: Stephanie on 09/05/2008

Detailed Ratings

Overall Rating
    Performance: 8 Fun-to-Drive: 8 Build Quality: 7
    Comfort: 7 Interior Design: 3 Reliability: 5
    Fuel Economy: 5 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Review

My husband purchased this car for me and traded in our A4 cab for it. I loved it at first. Then a month into ownership, the trunk latch broke. It wouldn't close all the way so I had to drive the hour away to the nearest dealership (twice) to get it fixed. 2 weeks ago, my MMI system stopped working and it was stuck to only play CDs. I took it in today and was told you're out of luck because you spilled something on it. Had I known this was such a common problem, I wouldn't have bought this car. Now I have to shell out the money out of pocket to replace the MMI system. After reading a bunch of reviews, it seems to be an extremely common problem.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements
    ANOTHER ONE,,,,,,, they capture exactly my feelings !!!

Wish I would've done my homework

Written by: schwartzps on 10/29/2008

Detailed Ratings

Overall Rating
    Performance: 6 Fun-to-Drive: 8 Build Quality: 4
    Comfort: 6 Interior Design: 3 Reliability: 4
    Fuel Economy: 4 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 quattro 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Review

Like many of you I fell in love with the Q7. I've had it a year here's my issues: electrical system went out (brains of the car), fuel gage failed, 3 tire flat tires within 1 year. Also had the same problem as someone earlier as a very small amount of liquid spilled next to the drink cups. It shorted my system to the tune of $1,000. Love the car and hate the car at the same time.

Favorite Features

Overall look, sunfroof, navigation system, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Seal off electrical by the cup holders. Allow room to remove items that fall between the front seats (black hole)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The pic helps, thanks.

Here's a shot of the console from the German Audi website (link).

Having seen the picture may I respectfully suggest you have it all BACKWARDS?

Audi should move the cupholder, not seal the electronics.....and honestly, I don't know what "seal the electronics" could possibly mean. Electronics need air circulation or they overheat--you can't put them in a Ziploc.

The cupholder is in a bad place, right behind the gearshift.

I have a suggestion. Put a flower pot or something in the cupholder and get an aftermarket holder for the upper console area, AHEAD of the gearshift.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and honestly, I don't know what "seal the electronics" could possibly mean.

It simply means to place a barrier between a possible spill and the electronics and it's a trivial matter to accomplish. Even if overheating were a potential problem, you simply create vent holes at the sides and/or bottom of the housing containing the electronics. I don't think the OP was suggesting that the electroncs be embedded in resin or polystyrene which, of course, could create its own problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Drainholes in electronic boxes? Now THAT sounds like something the French would do--LOL!

But maybe you're right, I dunno.

Porsche had this problem with computers under the driver's seat. They didn't seal them, they moved them. But it took a few years to do that.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Drainholes in electronic boxes?

Just take a look at the housing of the computer you're using right now. It has vent holes all over and it's filled to the brim with electronics! :)

Drainholes are another matter entirely but underwater cameras are sealed pretty well. ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Looking at the photo of that dash, I really don't see a good place to stick a cupholder at all.

I'm thinking gimbal hanging from the headliner :-)

Seriously, get one of those Wizard things from Wal-Mart that clip into the door between the door panel and the glass. That way you'll just burn your lap if you spill your Starbucks.
  • tfinantfinan Member Posts: 13
    Let's get one of the keyboard skin providers to make a custom one for the Q7 MMI !"
    like this!
  • chickdrchickdr Member Posts: 12
    There are factory cupholders in the door map pockets. They will hold HUGE drinks and are not close to ANY electronics. How hard is it to use those if you can't keep your drinks from spilling in the first place?

And to Kerry- once again- why do you argue the cupholder is tilted? Did you not see the PROOF the cupholder is completely level? Do you think mml7 has the can tilted? Look at your cupholder again. The bottom is flat, not tilted. The ARMREST is sloped to make it more comfortable for yor elbow. It's irrelavent anyway as if you slam the brakes, hit a huge pothole or have an accident, the cup is coming out no matter what the slant of the cupholder is. Can liquid spill on the controls, yes. Could this happen in other cars? Yes. There is no way to "seal" electronics from coke/coffee spilling as it is most certainly going to gum up the bottons/switches not matter how you make them. I simply do not believe BMW/MB electronics(in the same location) are impervious to coke/coffee spills. As others have said here and on the Audiworld forums, you can rinse the MMI with water or use electronics cleaner to clean out debris from spills and this has worked well for others.
    You should look at the Toyota Sequoia. It looks like a good deal for the size. The 2008 can be had for $12k under sticker. Unfortunately the NAV is terrible according to forum reports.

Separately I had to replace the mirror glass on my Q7 because the mirror got caught on the garage door frame. It cost $450 just for the part and I installed it. It wasn't much fun to pay for something with a car under bumper to bumper but we broke the mirror. Now someone else has hit the same mirror in a parking lot and the housing is loose.
    This is going to be my last post regarding this "issue" because it's really not particularly productive to hear you rant and rave over the same thing over and over again. Frankly, it makes this discussion forum far less useful and attractive than other Audi forums.

I don't think anyone here has disagreed with you that placement of the the armrest cup holders with relation to the MMI is a particular good one. If you had stopped to take a breath and actually read/comprehended people's posts, I think you would have seen that.

What I am and have repeated pointed out is that you want to blame Audi for everything and that you don't accept responsibility for your actions. As I stated 8+ months ago...how is it Audi's fault that you knocked over and spilled liquid not once, but twice on the MMI and shorted it out? Again, following your logic, I should blame Apple if I spill coffee on my Macbook and short out the motherboard?

About 4 months ago, I back into a post in my Q7 because I was in a hurry and didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Fortunately, no one was injured but do I blame Audi that the D-pillar creates a large blind spot especially with the 3rd row head rests up? Do I blame Audi that the rear parking sensors take a split second to engage and provide warning? NO It was my fault. I took my lumps, paid my insurance deductible and will be dealing with the fact that my carelessness will lighten my wallet over the next 5 years with my insurance premium increases.

Now back to the HOST "REALISM" ...... I start to shop for new SUV... BMW or Lexus or Acura ? thoughts ??

Anything but an Audi. Lexus gets raves over customer service, go seek them out first.

peace,
    mike
  • larislaris Member Posts: 11
    Umm, it appears that nobody has noticed that the Q7 is equipped with more than one cup-holder. Might I suggest checking out the drivers side door? An excellent, easy to reach cup-holder resides there, perfect for a Starbucks Grande.....a bottle of water, whatever you fancy. There, problem solved. Electronics can remain in the best position and everyone can get back to enjoying their great cars, and their coffees.
    ;)
    Good to know about the existing door cupholders.

And good to hear that we can all move on to other issues in here now.
    Now that we all agree AUDI has poorly designed the MMI & cupholder BUT REALISM tells us that our opinions do not matter to AUDI so it may have just been a good venting experience and no more !! LOL

Let me move on to the problems with thei AUDI ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.....

some more details ....

The 1st week I had the car the windows stopped working. An electrical problem... so I bought it and they took 2 days to fix it ...

then 6 months later the electrical tailgate stopped working .,,, took them 2 days and they claim it was fixed....

then the problem intermittently appears but when i bring it in to dealer they can not recreate.. so now I pull up to my Golf Club and they all cannot understand why a $60K SUV has with a tailgate that stops half way up ...

Also the car battery would drain every once in a while especially if I had my GPS or Valentine plugged into the cigarette lighter. So I stopped keepin them plugged in and when I took it to the dealer he could not re-create it and siad I should not have to unplug the deices. so he thought i may have left the interior light on - which I know I did not.

so once again I just deal with it ....

then after my 25000 miles service i get car home and every week I have to have it jump started.... and the tailgate stops working ....

I bring it in and they can not re-create the DEAD BATTERY but say it is software

They make a softwar update ...

1 week later I have to call for a jumpstart...

Now I have to take it back into dealer who really is trying to fix it ( but this is a major pain )

BUT how do you recreate a dead battery or tailgate problem ??

Anyway has anyone else had a problem like this ? Any solutions I can share with my dealer.

Maybe I just have a :lemon:
    What has been your experience here?

I have had the battery die mid-June, mid-September and early November. Parts were replaced each time (satelitte radio receiver, battery and battery manager and rear passenger door handle which did not allow car to go into "sleep mode"). I don't know if it is fixed permanently yet. I need to go over my records but wonder if these problems are related to an update for the rear hatch software that was applied in May. I find it strange that a car would start having electrical problems at 15 months after exhibiting none prior to that.

I used roadside assistance for the jump and have quickly followed with an appointment at the dealer. It has been a hassle but I have been treated fairly.
  • sdemandersdemander Member Posts: 4
    I ws envisioning the same thing...great idea really. :)
    Exactly, Audi just does not get Customer Service but they make a car that is fun to drive ... you are the best .. thx

• sdemandersdemander Member Posts: 4
    I emailed the company that you sent the link to. They just may be able to do something like that. Ya never know! I'll keep you posted. :shades:
  • rvl1rvl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 3.6 audi Q7, and it is driving me nuts. It sounds like it is coming from the tank, but not sure.

Was very curious if your problem ever got resolved?
  • chickdrchickdr Member Posts: 12
    Ours has had 3 random dead battery occurances(all in our garage fortunately). Each time simply jumping it was enough to get it back to normal(no dead cells in the battery). No explanation has been found. You will find a lot of info over on Audi World forums as others have had the issue too. As others have said- there is an MMI module which can cause issues. BT modules have been blamed as well(and door handles...). In my case the dealer told me leaving the key in the car causes a drain as the computer never shuts down when it "sees" a key. It has made no difference in my case(sometimes keys are left in the car, sometimes not). I do not think the issue has been solved by Audi yet. Electrics are not a VW/Audi strongsuit.

See I don't mindlesslessly follow the leader and say Audi's have no faults - do it?
  • mdhsmdhs Member Posts: 3
    Who did you contact and what was your approach to be reimbursed for your brakes. I just had mine replaced for $800 And they still are making a lot of noise.
    Thanks for any input you may have !
  • roadddog53roadddog53 Member Posts: 7
    I just hit 14K miles on the car, and took it in for service last friday.

They quoted me $840 to replace the front brakes and rotors.

I said, "there's no way the rotors have worn out after 14K miles!"

and they said that's the only way to get rid of the noise i've been getting.

I'd like to know what the first guy said to get reimbursed as well.
  • asa2asa2 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all-I have an 08 ML 350 that I love but we need to get my wife a new car-something with 4 wheel drive as we are both on the road alot, sometimes with a family of 5, sometimes on our own for work in wintry weather.

I rode with a friend who got the 09 Q7 and I thought it was an awesome layout interior-wise, but couldn't help but notice the seats are really uncomfortable. Does anyone else find them to be ridiculously hard after owning/riding in something else? Do they "wear" in a bit after use? I liked the car alot for her b/c it was more like a wagon than a truck but after riding in it, compared to the ML, don't think I could last from here in NJ up to VT to ski. It just sort of irked me. Perhaps they have some sort of premium seating option they did not get? I of course did not mention it to friend as we were driving...I used to have an X5 and that was okay comfort wise, but maybe we'll stick with the GL for now. Just curious about others thoughts on the seating and if there are options that make it worthwhile? Thanks
    When I bought my q7 I had the same concern on seat comfort BUT once they break in they are very comfortable.

The issue I had with my Q7 is that the interior electronics (MMI) are not sealed and if you spill even a little water on them which is easy to do with the poor design of a cup holder directly above and tilted towards the unsealed MMI electronics....

Once the MMI is shorted-out AUDI claims no responsibility and charge you $1000 to replace maybe $100 in electronics.

Audi is very polite BUT arrogant... So they politely tell u to go pound salt

I love how the card drives BUT AUDI has horrible customer service and if I were you I would stay with MB or look at BMW..

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
  • stoakstoak Member Posts: 1
    We have an older q7 but we got it in part because of the seats. Thought it was more comfortable than the BMW. GL was definitely nicer.

We have found that little things are constantly going wrong with our Q7 and service has gotten poorer over the years (our 3rd Audi).

Best of all the SUVs we tried on snow (important in Alaska).

Hesitate to bring it up because it was a heated argument before but the center cup holders are horribly placed for us. I will just say that we are not capable of not spilling drinks placed there with kids and a dog. Can't use the cup holders or it costs us a grand every time we have a spill. The BMW is much better designed for this and it is not a problem for the GL. We will probably turn it in for the GL.
  • grn95grn95 Member Posts: 48
    I still cant seem to understand the break issues. Years ago I swore to never buy a GM car ever again as the brakes would always need replacing around 20k. Here is a $50k vehicle and I am going to have to replace the brakes at 15k and it will cost over $800... That is absolutely ridiculous. I have a Japanese made Pathfinder and I finally replaced the front pads only at 68k!! Rotors were fine, bake brakes are fine, and I couldnt have went longer on the front pads. Total cost $40 for me to replace the pads with Ceramic Pads. And back to some posts around page 15 or 16 of this discussion, I see nothing Audi Maintenance Package is going to do aside from oil changes for $500. Made the mistake of ASSuming the AMP would take care of all maintenance (brakes, etc) for 3 years. Brakes are "maintenance" items. It should be called the $500 Audi Oil Change Package. All in all so far I love this vehicle, major complaint so far is the clear coat on the roof. It is somewhat rough not smooth like the rest of the vehicle. Talking with dealer and hope to bring it in soon. It has no visual impact thankfully and with the Panorama roof there isnt much of it anyway.
  • grn95grn95 Member Posts: 48
    Re: Seats being uncomfortable, in my opinion they are extremely comfortable. Quite firm and supportive. No complaints at all aside from they make me want to sleep while driving with the heat on the seats in the winter.
  • afshinhafshinh Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY MMI.
    I HAVE A 2008 Q7(SINCE 6 MONTHS) . THE MMI COMPLETELY TURNED OFF.
    DEALER TOLD ME ITS NOT COVERED BECAUSE THIS COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A SPILL. THEY ASKED FOR $885 + TAX.
    THE MANAGER AGREED TO GIVE ME 50% OFF THE PART.

I CALLED A SECOND DEALER AND THE FIRST THING THEY ASKED ,AFTER I TOLD THEM ABOUT THE MMI , "DID YOU SPILL ANYTHING ON IT?"

I CALLED AUDI CUSTOMER CARE AND THEY TOLD ME THEY CAN ONLY HONOR THE 50% OFF AND NOTHING ELSE.

I TOLD THEM ITS A DESIGN FLAW .
    IT SEAMS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. BUT THEY DIDNT CARE.

I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY THAT AUDI DOES HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY DONT STAND BEHIND THERE PROBLEMS.

HOW DID YOU GET THEM TO PAY YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME THE MMI BROKE DOWN?

THANKS
    I complained to the local dealer then called AUDI America HQ execs - jI ust kept asking to talk to the person's boss and do not take NO for an answer. In my case they finally relented. The dealers has funds that AUDI can release to cover this type of stuff. My suspicion is AUDI knows they have a MAJOR design Flaw and if they admit it then it will cost a lot of $$$...

My advice... get rid of the audi and buy a BMW or MB or Japanese...

My lease expires in 4Q and I plan to buy a BMW ...

AUDI customer service is a DISASTER !!!

I am their worst nightmare since whenever anyone asks about my Q7 I tell them the truth and all they have decided not to buy an AUDI ...

AUDI Americas HQ really are clueless if they think they can screw with their own customers!!!

GOOD LUCK !! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • liujialiujia Member Posts: 1
    I accidently put the auto gear into P while the car was not completly stopped. The day after i noticed that the car has a vibration problem when at low speed and low revs. Is it beacause of that, or something else?
  • rdawsrdaws Member Posts: 7
    Have a 2007 Q7 and have been going round and round with service and customer care about having to replace brake rotors at 22k miles! It is $1000 for the front and will be for the back. Alledgedly, Audi went with "high performance" (re: softer metal) rotors in 2007 to reduce brake squeal and as a result, the pads wear the rotors down and now they need to be replaced at the same time (pads and rotors). At any rate, anyone looking at a Q should budget that in to their cost when calculating the cost of a lease. Also, total care maintenance program is a joke! I'm really unhappy with the cost of ownership. Between tires/brakes, you will spend $2500-$3000+ in maintenance during your lease. Better off going Japanese or BMW (rotors/pads are covered in the 4 yr maintenance package with BMW)
  • mdhsmdhs Member Posts: 3
    We had to do our brakes at 14,000 ! It is a real problem that Audi needs to address.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Add me to the list. Just replaced the brakes and tires at 24K, though both were long overdue. Tires were below the 3/8" minimum (for lease return) at around 18K. At 24K, outer edges were below 1/16. Dangerous enough that I couldn't take a chance. Brakes started squealing around 18K, by 24K it was unbearable. At replacement the pads were paper thin. Rotors were starting to wear, but they didn't require any work.

Only 6 months left on the lease, but they would clearly have charged for these items if I returned the car this way. Plus there's the safety issue. Cost me $1K, but had to be done.

BTW, I replaced the Continental tires with Goodyear Eagle LS. Ride seems smoother and quieter than before (though the old tires were nearly bald), traction seems good. Half the price of the Conti's.

FWIW, my Volvo XC90 went through brakes and tires faster than I was used to. Guess we should expect this with heavy SUVs.
  • nofunorgamesnofunorgames Member Posts: 1
    :surprise: Audi Q7 with 1000 miles on it- Had a heavy snow last week and as it melted and slid off the car, it broke the plastic cover thing on the rear windshield wiper
    I was amazed to find it was a plastic cover! :cry:

do you know if this cover is standard issue or a part of an accessory package?

do you know what it it called?

any idea of the cost? will wiper work without this cover on it?

looked for a recall on the part- but did not find anything

thanks
  • sgangulysganguly Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2009 Q7 3.6 (Prestige). I have not gotten delivery of the car yet, and was planning to purchase the maintainence package. I'm surprised that it does not cover brakes. I was that between the warranty and the maintainence packages I would not have to pay a dime for the next four years. My current drive is a 2002 530i, and that goes thru brakes every 20K miles but I had a 7 year maintainence plan that covered everything.

We have a 2007 A3 which has the extended maintainence package - but so far brakes have not been an issue on that car. This is a nasty surprise.
  • iquaiqua Member Posts: 7
    Lease the same car 2.5 years ago. On second year.. about 18K need to replace all breaks.. the sign for the break came out... I think spend about $1500 - $2000 for front and back. Q7 positive point is on the break.. it has very good one... but this could be become the reason the dealer doesn't cover it, they knew it wears off easily..... Interesting point about BMW maint. plan that covers everything.. the lease come out pretty soon.. time to shopping for other "better" car. Oh also need to replace the tires too.. another $1500.. I got the maintenance plan for this car negotiated on the lease but seems useless.. covers nothing..
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    I am 2 years in on my lease, and had to replace brakes at 16K miles. Plan on it as an expense every 15-17K miles, for at least $1000. Also plan on tires at 20K miles. Both the tires and brakes were a nasty surprise. At least for the tires I was able to get the replacements at TIRERACK.com. They had the same tires as the dealer at $135/tire, vs. a quoted $400 per tire (just for the tire) at the Audi dealer. They wanted $1850 total for 4 tires. It is a great driving and comfortable car, but the Q7 is very expensive to maintain. My old Lexus LX went 60K miles before needing either tires or brakes. I am back to Japanese after this experience.

If you have not taken delivery, I would cancel the purchase, and go back to a BMW, or switch to a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti. They may not offer the maintenance plans, but you end up paying more with the Audi care items that are NOT covered, than you do on regular maintenance on the Japanese cars.
  • rdawsrdaws Member Posts: 7
    it's actually misleading how they sell it. It's the "audi total maintenance" or something like that...it only covers the service calls. you still have to pay for mundane things like windshill wipers....audi did a big break reconfig in 2007 to combat squeeking breaks and simultaneously removed the rotors from the warranty...think they knew anything? if i was a lawyer, this would be a great class action....anyone know any good class action lawyers?