Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ogataogata Member Posts: 1
    I needed to replace my brake rotors (4) of my q7 after only 25000 miles. The cost is also not covered by the warranty despite the wear of the rotor being extraordinarily fast. By the way I also purchased the total maintenance plan that unfortunately does not cover anything that brakes. The tires of the car also needed replacement after 20,000 miles. The cost for the rotor and tires are over $3k. On top of that, the leather seats are cracking and the decorative coating of the plastic door handle is pealing. It is not a cheap car and I expected a lot more from AUDI but I am extremely disappointed. This is the second AUDI but unfortunately it will be the last.

For anyone considering to puchase this car please go with a Japanese car maker, they test the parts thoroughly prior to using them. My other Japanese SUV is doing very well even after 60,000 with no major problems.

Stig
  • ny_driverny_driver Member Posts: 22
    My Q7 has 21K miles and the brake pad warning lights went on today. Guess I need to plunk down some cash to replace the pads. They have been squeaking recently but I had the car inspected by the dealer in Feb and no problems with the breaks then.
  • niketalk1niketalk1 Member Posts: 2
    Got my 2009 Q7 about two weeks ago and started to notice this squeaking/rattling right above the driver. It seems to be coming from the panoramic sunroof, worst when it's hot and slightly noticeable when it cools.
    With that said, it leads me to believe it may have something to do with the Texas 100 degree heat that we experience so much down here causing some materials to expand?
    I am going to take it in for service on Monday but wanted to see if anyone here on the board has experienced similar problems?
    It also didn't help the fact that the stealership guy I spoke to was somewhat of an anus.
  • rdawsrdaws Member Posts: 7
    it's poorly built...traveling with family on a road trip this last weekend and stopped for gas. gas cover door failed to open. I took everything out of my trunk to remove trim piece to pull the "emergency release" string and guess what...nothing happened. I smacked the crap out of the cover and it opened...it is a poorly built automobile...i have a list of almost a dozen things that have failed on it, three critical (i've been stranded once!). oh, and yes, my panoramic sunroof rattles...I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS LEASE TO BE UP!
    Argh, took to dealer today to get inspected. All 4 pads and rotors need to be replaced. Labor and parts of $1700 in NYC. Considering I only have 6 more months on my lease, annoying but a safety issue.
  • sdemandersdemander Member Posts: 4
    How many miles on those brakes?
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    My Q7 was rear ended. Small dent near the license plate. The other driver agreed to pay. I got 2 written estimates ($800 and $850), and the guy sent me a check for the higher. My lease is up in Sept. Should I have the repair now, or just turn the car in with the dent? I guess the question is, do you think Audi Financial will charge me more than $850 for the damage?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The other driver paid you for repairs to your car so why wouldn't you simply use those funds to pay for the repairs to your car? If Audi Financial were to charge you less (unlikely), would you reimburse the other driver for the difference?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • johnbombjohnbomb Member Posts: 7
    I guess we are lucky. We have a 2008 3.6 with 24,000 miles. Only minor issue we have had is the button to close the lift gate sometimes does not work (very rare). No rhime or reason. The tires look good so far, though we will need to replace them in the few thousand. They lasted much longer than our previous Audi Allroad (12K at the most on two sets) and major alignment issues. No issues with the Q. I am worried about the cost of the brakes. I am sure that is coming soon. My two major complaints are the harsh ride with the 20" wheels and the annoying exhaust note in the cabin anytime you press the gas slightly. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the sound of a good exhaust, but I only want to hear it when I really step on the gas. Not bad, but I would like to see Audi do a better job of sound dampening on a $50K-60K car. Is should be silent at highway speeds in the cabin.
  • johnbombjohnbomb Member Posts: 7
    We love our Q7,but I wish I opted for the 8 cylinder (diesel was not available). While the 3.6 is rated to pull 6000lbs, it struggles to maintain 60mph when I am towing my 5000lb boat. The slightest hill or grade will make the 3.6 strain. I tend to manually shift when towing as well. This helps, but I bounce between 4th and 5th on the freeway. I would strongly suggest anyone planning on towing more than 3000 or 4000lbs go for the new diesel or the V8. My wife loves her Q and wants to keep it when the lease is up, but I may opt. to trade in for a Q7 diesel. But only if Audi decides to cover brakes under the $500 maintenance package when we are ready trade up. If they don't cover brakes, as much as we love Q, I may be looking elsewhere. My BMW covers everything, Audi should too.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Because I would rather not be without my car for a few days. If I can avoid that hassle and just turn the car in as is, without being gouged by Audi Financial, that would be a good thing. If I were to save some money in the process (agreed unlikely), I would consider it small payment for my troubles.
    That's fair enough. Surely, your time has value and can be put into the cost equation.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • doctoothdoctooth Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to fill both tanks on a 2009 Q7 3.0 TDI with Adblue? I know Audi has an emergency container that can be purchased that will add 1 gal. but not completely fill both tanks. Thank you
  • exgator24exgator24 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a nw SUV. I have narrowed my choices down to the Audi Q7 and the Acura MDX. I was wondering if anyone had any insights to help me make a decision. Thanks for the help!
  • doccoloradodoccolorado Member Posts: 8
    Too bad Audi doesn't follow Volvo's lease lead, they provide $1,000 (USD); in end of Lease Insurance,

and yes, it even covers the tire wear !
  • kerryjthkerryjth Member Posts: 67
    I am getting rid of my '07 Q7 next month .. I was a 1st time Audi owner.

My net feeedback is ...If you want high quality customer service and product go with the MDX ( or X5, Murano or Volvo )... If u have fallen in love with Q7 .. buy it ( pay below invoice - plenty of Q7s in stock ) but your set expectations VERY low on customer service and product quality and HOPE u have no problems with the vehicle.

Check edmunds on Q7 maintenance section ... I wish I had read it prior to buying Q7 i.e. Q7 MMI
  • hoonie99hoonie99 Member Posts: 4
    My answer is NO! After having owned this car for the past 2.75 years, I am extremely happy that my lease is coming to an end. Initially the car was great, once I hit the two year mark, things started to fall apart. The squeak/rattling in the sunroof, battery died twice (dealership didn't do a required service repair), replaced the brake pads at a cost close to $1,000, etc. I also have the Audi Service plan but as everyone says, that covers nothing except the scheduled maintenence. Service in most dealerships is horrendous, if you must get the Q7 I would suggest that you buy it at Princeton Audi, if you are in the NJ area, or at least get it serviced there. They are more courteous and accomodating (in addition to being less expensive.) Its been my experience (as well as a good number of people that I have spoken with) that Bell Audi charges an arm and a leg for everything and also has reps that act like they have a stick up their [non-permissible content removed]. This will definitely be my last Audi, its been a headache for a while now. I would suggest you take a good look at the X5, slightly smaller but service and performance, much better. I also agree with the members of this board that the Japanese cars, such as the Lexus' trump all of them, but the ride is too soft for me and the handling a little soft as well.
  • iquaiqua Member Posts: 7
    I just about to buy my end-of-leased Audi Q7. My choices were to buy this car or replace it with leasing Q5. Q5 is too small. I drove MDX a couple time. It's a different car compare to Q7 all together. It's a Honda. I drive Q7 because I love Audi's machine, can;t compare it with driving MDX or other Japanese cars. Audi could cost more in maintenance . The brake is the first to replace, then the tires since this is heavy car. MDX is light, you can tell when you drive it. I can't stand MDX/Lexus shifting gear, like a jigsaw. So all come to who you are. If you're Audi.. you will love it. But if not you will despite it to the single little problem. In my case I will question anything about MDX.
  • kymgattikymgatti Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure why people are being rude to each other on here. We're all here for the same reason. Anyway - I don't think the person meant that the cup holder interior is tilted forward. They meant that the front wall of the cup holder is shorter than the back side - which when you think about it is kind of crazy. It's only a couple of inches tall already and for God's sake - you're moving forward most of the time with the vehicle. All it takes is one not-so-gentle tap of the (hard core) brakes on this car and the cup goes flying. IF someone pulls out in front of you - it's not your fault. I currently have the same problem with the MMI being broken in my Q7 and am taking it in for repairs Monday. I came on here to research if this is a common problem because it baffles me that if a drop of liquid falls onto that are it causes thousands of dollars of damage. You're moving in a vehicle with liquid potentially a few inches from a (now I find out) very sensitive and delicate area. I would NEVER have allowed liquids in my car in that cupholder if I knew the control panel was that sensitive. After all - aren't SUV's created for the family on the go that needs space and comfort, while still being "rugged"? Other than this I LOVE MY CAR!! I have had many luxury vehicles from Cadillac (won't ever buy another) to many Lexus (Lexi?) (which were great) IF this MMI breaks - you can't use any of the controls for the NAV, the stereo, the car in general - nothing. It is poor design to have put it next to a potentially "wet" area if there isn't a way to seal it better. They should at least have a sticker there with a warning. My lifestyle has always been the same but I have never had this problem in a car before.
    I had several posts on this and some of the respondent seemed to be AUDI employees from their emotiional defense of audi's poor design.

Net is AUDI makes a good product BUT they are ARROGANT and will not admit mistakes...

Make sure to fight any suggestion of u paying to fix MMI due to a spill... go to AUDI USA HQ if the dealer pushes back....

this is a visiible cutometr sat issue ... no new news to them so if they feign ignorance call them on it

GOOD LUCK
    Missed this email, I had 22K miles on the vehicle. What bothered me was that I had the car inspected (NY State) in Feb and they checked the brakes and said nothing. If I knew the pads were worn so much, I would have done something then.

That being said, I still love my Audi.
  • kerrynjkerrynj Member Posts: 1
    I have 32,000 miles on my Q7. I have put two sets of brakes on this truck. My last time at the dealer the service guy let it slip that the brakes were NOT to spec. So they put brakes that can't truly support the weight of this truck. I noticed from day one that I always had brake dust on the rims. That was a sign and the squeaking.This is the fifth Audi that we have had, never have we had the problems with the others.I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AUDI. :mad:
    Add to the list of problems: leakage from the massive sunroof...we had a seal fail on the sunroof drain and it allowed water to leak into the headliner and floorboard (via the A-piller)...my wife's friend had a similar problem with her Q...oh well...counting down until the lease is over... :mad:
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I'm new to Audi Q7 discussion as I have owned the vehicle only for 3 days now. Brake wear issue caught my eye though and after reading the car manual (or part of it) one question came to my mind:

Is there some sort of trend that people with severe brake pad/rotor wear issue would live in northern states, i.e. in snow and ice during winter months?

It would be nice if people would mention this in their postings.

I'm thinking about this because from the car manual I understand that the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) uses brakes for slip control, i.e. there is no differential locks. I'm not sure but I think this really is the case. This would mean that in areas with snow and ice in winter time brake pads and rotors would wear much faster because the slip between wheels is controlled by applying brake on the wheel which is slipping. And the driver would probably even notice this, just wonders how nicely the Quatro work on slippery surfaces.

Manual also states that if you drive over certain speed with wipers ON the system makes brake pads to periodically "touch" rotors to keep then clean. Manual also states that the driver wont even know this but as the pads touch they will experience a little bit wear. This would also add to brake wear.

Just my thinking...

Arrie.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    For $125 you can buy front and rear pads for your audi. Lifetime warranty. You will need a mechanic who will replace just the pads as needed -- take the old pads back and get a credit. There are lots of autoparts stores with these available. you can also get them online.
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    Where are you finding pads with a lifetime warranty for only $125? I would love to know, because at 34K miles I am now in need of my 2ND set of brakes for my Q7.
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    Has anyone yet turned in a Q7 from lease? If so, what were your experiences? What did they try to charge you with? Did the dealer try to get you to buy it? Did they offer a good deal for buying or leasing a new one? I saw that Audi is offering $5000 towards the purchase of a 2009 Q7, plus $4000 manufacter to dealer cash (this is on the Edmunds site as well).
    Check the search engines " lifetime brake pads audi q7". Autozone had some and there are a number of quality after market manufacturers that have them. Brake pads are easy to replace -- even on an audi. Any local repair shop can handle the job. You don't need special knowledge -- just good skills and tools. As far as warranty concerns -- the brakes aren't warrantied by audi anyway.
    It isn't about the pads, my friends. It is the width of the rotors. These are evidently very thin and they're soft. The pads are actually creating grooves in the rotors that can over time can cause brake failure. Audi went with this design to eliminate the squeal that has plagued the audi line. Too bad they went with undersized wimpy rotors...
    If you go to partstrain.com you can find new rotors from low to high prices. Can't say whether they will do the job but from what i've seen of dealer prices you could replace rotors and pads every 15k miles with labor for 25% of dealer price for one brake job. Don't know if these rotors are noisy but you can always turn up the volume on the sound system a bit. Check it out or not. Not recommending anything -- just an option. Of course, if you can arrord a Q7, what's a few grand for a brake job from time to time. Enjoy the free coffee in the customer lounge.
  • nachinachi Member Posts: 9
    I just noticed that there is water after a rainfall gathering on the floor of the front passenger side footwell. Seems to be coming from the front. Am bringing in for service Wednesday night. Will let you know what happens.
  • nachinachi Member Posts: 9
    Here goes the experience I had.
    Get to the dealership and the service tech pops the hood. Starts clearing away some leaves and says "there are alot of leaves in here. this could be causing a backup which may be why water is coming into the passenger footwell. This would not be covered under warranty". IMy response was dont tell me a couple of leaves is going to create an issue to a 50K+ SUV. I dont want to hear it. So he says well It may just be coming in from the sunroof but we will check and let you know. The follow up call i received was to confirm the water was in fact coming from the a-piller and was covered under the warranty.
  • meva75meva75 Member Posts: 1
    I got 08 Q7 last November . Two weeks later the MMI Console stoped working. I took in for repair where I was told something must have gotten spilled on it and it was not covered . NOTHING GOT SPILLED AS FAR AS I KNOW!!! I was quoted anywhere from $ 1500 to 1100 to get it fixed since Audi doesnt cover spills . After numerous calls to very unprofessional customer service ,I had no choice but pay for the repair . Since I had paid for premiums like navigation , camera and ipod interface not enjoying it while the poorly designed MMS stopped working was not an option. Two days ago my MMI stopped working again . In the morning I took it to Audi . The same thing. Again nothing to my knowledge got spilled !!!! The guys at the audi told me that they have average of 2 claims that MMI stops working on the Q7 . They said it doesnt even have to have anything spilled on it sometimes all it takes is a dirt that gets stuck inside , Of course they would charge me $ 1100 to get it working again . This is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why wouldnt they fix the flaw in the design knowing about it ??? IS THAT AUDI WAY TO MAKE MONEY ON LOYAL COSTUMERS ????? I am seriously considering getting another car . Any ideas
    The dealer has flexibility to cover 1st MMI failure so escalate to the owner of dealership. If you do have to pay it should not charge you more than $900 with parts.... they should do it for COST !!!

Next log a complaint with AUDI HQ. This is a WELL KNOWN problem with MANY posts here ... They even had a audi shill in this blog argue why electronics under a cup holder. do not need to be sealed ... like the MMI ... almost FUNNY if it did not cost me $

Also mention the Q5 has the MMI on the dash which is the only reason I stayed with AUDI when I got rid of my '07 Q7

AUDI USA has poor customer services and their dealers are arrogant (although my service guy is good) BUT AUDI makes a great car ..

They should hire a Customer Service Exec from Toyota

Lastly you paid $50K + and should NOT take any of their nonsense so complain until they relent

GOOD LUCK !!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think the service tech's remark was basically sound and could very well have caused a leak in your vehicle. What happens is that the leaves, being organic material, degrade and break down into a kind of brown slop, which then clogs the drain holes in the fresh air cavity under your vents. Then you have a moving fish tank, and as you turn or brake the water spills into the passenger compartment---since this part of the car was not built to hold a gallon of water---merely to drain out some rain water as it falls in there.
  • powderhound1powderhound1 Member Posts: 2
    You lot don't know you're born. I have never read so much rubbish on cupholders in my entire life. If you insist on purchasing coffee by the bucket then get a drinking straw and strap it in the boot - which is away from sensitive electronics - and thus avoid sloshing it all over your MMI controller. Anyone who expects Audi to pick up the tab for a punter's fumbling clumsiness surely has a screw loose...

All this whining about what you expect from a $50-60k vehicle too; I paid $135k for mine (4.2 TDi S-line, loaded) and that included a 15% discount. You get what you pay for and I have had no problems or glitches. Brakes are going strong still at 30k miles (in 1.5 years), summer tyres have been replaced (continentals that came fitted) and winters still have at least this winter left in them.

If you have the diesel available then buy the 4.2 TDi S-line if your budget runs to it. Much more torque than any of the petrols, faster across the range and reasonable economy. Q7 makes my company X5 look and feel very second best, ML is gutless unless you can run to ML63AMG and who on earth would ever compare a Japanese plastic pursuit ship to a premium German mile-muncher?? Next someone will recommend an Escalade as an alternative. The only car that I enjoy as much for the long trips is the new RS6 avant, but the fines are boring...
    I had the same problem (I didn't recall spilling anything either - but I did use that cup holder so I guess a drop could have gotten away, since the cup holder is NOT built properly to securely hold a cup in the first place) with my car and went to the manager in the service department as well as calling Audi HQ directly. Within the day they called me back and split the cost with me - which ended up being under $500. I still felt that I should have to pay for anything due to it being a design flaw. At this point - I do not use the front cup holder AT ALL to ensure that not even 1 drop of fluid hits that MMI. I use the cup holder in the door now- or the back cup holder. I never use regular coffee cups anymore - only those with a lid! I use the front cup holder for my cell phone now...
    I think if anyone were "sloshing" liquids on their MMI we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. We're talking about a DROP of liquid POTENTIALLY hitting that area. They say a DROP is all it takes. IF a drop is all it takes why design the area with TWO CUPHOLDERS 2 inches away from it? Hence all the anger and frustration over poor design.

Anyway- Who in the hell would buy a $50K-$70K car and then SLOSH liquid everywhere? No one.... And yay for you having tons of money to throw down on a car. You must be so proud! By the way - $50-60K on a vehicle is a LOT of damn money. Get in touch with reality pal!
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    Just to add to this very interesting topic about how sensitive the MMI seems to be.

I have my Q7 3 weeks old now and have been very interested to read all the horror writing about MMI shorting out from just a small water or other drink spill on it. This all seems to be a result of very poor design and I think there is an understandable yet not acceptable explanation for this.

In Germany where I have driven a lot of different rental cars it is not normal to find cup holders at all. It is not customary on German (or Swiss, Austrian, French,Spanish...) roads to see driver to eat or drink while he is driving. This is why most cars don't even come with cup holders. If you want one you need to special order your car with it. 4 weeks ago I rented a MB S350 in Dusseldorf and it did not have one cup holder in it but I'm quite sure you can get one if you order your car with one. Not sure with MB though...

From everything in Q7 cup holder design you can see that it is a poor adaptation for people who insist having one, i.e. mostly for N.A. market. What makes it poor is that the front edge of the middle arm rest that holder is built in to must be kept low so that the MMI can be used without overly bending your wrist. There is no room to make holder deeper because of the room AMI takes underneath it. Obviously normally so superior German car engineering missed important point here, the MMI moisture sensitivity. They would have been better not to supply cup holder at all for the front middle console.

Now, someone with a lot of money or other vice thinking people are stupid if they spill coffee or other drinks in their car and get mad when $1000 damage is easily caused when they are not warned about it should think about it a little bit. If Audi would have a big sticker inside the car warning people of the danger with spilling something it would be a different story but they do not have a sticker. Wonder why? Is it that some people would not buy the car if there was one? Perhaps.

Personally I do not know any other vehicle that has so expensive component positioned in such jeopardized location as MMI in this Q7 is. Audi should have made a better design for this as cup holder really is in very stupid position and when there is a cup holder spills can be expected. It is not if it will spill, it is only when.

Would be interesting to see some poor victim of the spill take Audi in a court over this. And I think Audi would loose. If they had a big sticker warning or some other way informed potential buyer of it before buying the car then they would be covered.

I have also seen posts that Audi repair says something was spilled on the MMI that shorted it out when people say they did not spill anything on it. How can you prove you did not spill as this now is an easy way for Audi to avoid paying repair under warranty by just claiming there was a spill.

How about moisture from condensation? I live in Louisiana and during some winter time months there can be very severe condensation moisture inside the car. Does warranty cover if this shorts out the MMI? This clearly would be poor design damage again.

For the cup holder need in U.S. is a good reason. We, or some of us anyway, are used to drive very long distances (or times). Personally I travel sometimes driving 10 hours straight (yesterday 6 hour drive) only stopping for gas and for that drink that I need to be able to keep going. I have never stopped at any gas station and drink or eat at location. In that easily lasting half hours drinking/eating time you loose 35 miles of travel so I choose to drive and drink my coffee or soda in my car while driving. This is very normal in the U.S. and this is why cupholders are found in every U.S. made (and most U.S. sold) cars.

If you want to get in the game then do it correctly, i.e. if you "half [non-permissible content removed]" add cup holders in the vehicle in location where they should not be to be able to sell cars in this market area then at least inform / warn your customers about it. Audi did a very poor job with this.

Even knowing about the sensitivity of the MMI to moisture I still love this vehicle. It drives by far better than anything I drove before, including the MB 350S and Audi A6 Avant S-line. This vehicle is something else. Of course I have not driven my Q7 at 155 MPH as I did with the A6, which probably would change my opinion but for the 80 MPH and lower speeds this is the best so far.

Arrie
    Here's a thought -- go to waldomart and buy one of those cupholders that fits into the window/door seam. Get one to match the interior. :P Then get a piece of plastic wrap and cover the problem area. It's clear and no one will ever notice. Good to go. ;)
    Well PUT ...
    I'm with the Europeans on this one. A modern car is like a modern computer, and all it takes is one drop of coffee to fry a keyboard on a laptop (been there, done that)---this is why laptops don't have cupholders. :P

The modern car's environment is by definition *hostile* to electronics as it is, even in areas where the driver cannot reach.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My ThinkPad has a built in drain in case of spills. You can't immerse it but it's spill resistant. Minor accidents won't necessarily kill the $1,000 shiny object.

High tech plus good engineering. ;)
    That's the THEORY anyway :P
    The pay must be plenty good at edmunds if you can afford 1k on a Think Pad. I get mine for a buck at the dollar store. It's not shiny unless you count the spirily wire thingy that holds the pages together.
    This may or may not be related but you may want to have a look at the Audi A4 Ignition Coil Problems discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    Don't worry about it. They are replacing every Audi car with new coils. You would have an engine light on if this was a problem on your car.
  • accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    Thanks to all who post here. Your insight is so valuable to folks like me considering a purchase of this magnitude. I totally agree with the cup holder as after thought sentiment expressed here....do it right, or don't do it at all. The claims of moisture shorting the MMI remind me of a similar cell phone experience. Took it in for repair after taking a call during a light rain, and the VZ rep shows me this little white dot turned red, signifying the VOIDing of the warranty. :mad:

In some ways, you know better, but they (designers) should have considered the possibilities (we Americans DO drink and eat in our cars) :surprise: . I guess the lesson is don't use that cup holder. :P
  • sdeutschmansdeutschman Member Posts: 2
    my car literally stopped in the middlde of the road dead- then it had to be towed into Audi. I received it back and then none of the automatic locks worked - the dealership said they did not do anything and wouldnt fix it- the MMI doesnt work - they claim its my fault- I turned the car in early its a lemon- never again
    just search on MMI in this blog and u will be amazed at how many people have problems with MMI

i was given incentives to stay with audi when my Q7 lease expired... I bought a Q5 and love it

GUESS WHAT even though they claim Q7 MMI is perfectly designed they changed it on new Q5 .... the MMI in Q5 is in the DASH and as a result not vulnerable to spills etc....