Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Denali XL Gas Gauge and Oil Pump Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,

It's difficult to advise some next steps for you at this point. As a dealership will likely charge you a diagnostic fee, I would recommend that if you had considered visiting them to wait until this concern occurs consistently (as you say that right now the oil pressure problem has been resolved ant the engine noise is gone). If you're going to pay a diagnostic fee, I want to make sure that you are able to get some results from the visit instead of them saying that they're unable to diagnose anything.

For the 2006 model year, the powertrain warranty had not come into effect for GMC vehicles, unfortunately, which I realize is an important factor for many as well.

I know that this suggestion may not leave you with the most peace of mind as I can tell that you are interested in resolving this before it escalates. I see that you used kilometers as a unit of measure, and am guessing that you are a resident of Canada. Have you worked with GM of Canada before? They can be reached at 800-263-3777, and while like me the representatives on the phone don't have technical expertise they can assist you in the process of working with our dealerships.

I wish I could do more, but hopefully this has helped in some way,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • phil2226phil2226 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sarah,
    The problem reoccured within 5 mins of driving time this morning. I'm very reluctant to go to a dealership. In my past experince, the troubleshooting includes too many aspects of a marketing plan.

I'll have to try research the problem more.

Thanks for your reply.
    I am sorry to hear about your situation, cfitzy, and understand that you are frustrated and don't feel safe in your vehicle.

If we can look into any additional options that may be available, please send us an email with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails, will set up your Service Request and advise you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I certainly understand and wish you the best as you seek to get this resolved! :)
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • phil2226phil2226 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sarah,

I'd like to say that I'm sure there are at least a dozen different problems that all appear to be the same when reading all these complaints. My promlem was that the previous owner of my vehicle followed poor maintenance practices and used inferior parts. This "common" problem was not GM's fault.

As I said in an earlier post, I had just purchased my 06 Envoy Denali, the next day got the "low oil pressure, turn engine off" message and was horrified when I googled if and heard of all the problems.

I did hours and hours of research and finally decided to do an engine flush (which should not be part of routine maintenance) changed the oil twice that day and installed a premium oil filter. Just in case, I replaced the oil pressure switch and also had the oil pressure tested at the filter to be sure the oil pump was okay. A 1000 miles from now, I'm going to change the oil again and install another premium oil filter to make sure the debris from the engine flush is completely gone.

If I can offer advice to other people with similar problems, don't trust that the discount oil change people are protecting your investment even if they charge you a lot of money and make you feel that you are doing the right thing. I'm not a fan of dealers but they will at least install the recommenfed part for your vehicle your best bet always, is to have a mechanic that you trust.
  • timbo65timbo65 Member Posts: 22
    hey "kpick", sorry to be the bearer of bad news but... my '04 garage kept, low mileage envoy started with oil pressure gauge going to full max on wet days. it now works when it wants, but the speedo is pegged at 130 mph, that used to only happen when wet, but it has not moved in 2 months... i took truck in to GMC dealership, and they say "you need a whole new gauge cluster" about $600. and no, they would'nt even split the parts with me !!! the service writer even said "this is a huge problem with the envoy line, be thankfull its only speedo and oil pressure" thats not working !!! it plain sucks that they wont do a recall.. if any lawyers read this thread, a class action suit would have tons of people to join..... its too bad cuz i always bought american.. no more.
  • moosedb1moosedb1 Member Posts: 11
    Timbo65,
    I am 100% with you. Are there any Attorneys in this forum or does anyone know of any that will look into C/A suit for us? If so let the forum know and he will have a ton of backers.
  • juliusdjuliusd Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get your problem fixed? I had a similar problem with my 2003 GMC yukon SLT. I may have a solution for you.
    GM said they will offer no assistance and i needed to replace engine at my expense.
  • juliusdjuliusd Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear that! I thought you were dealing with a faulty instrument cluster. i had mine replaced for a fraction of the dealer cost.
    hi moose,
    i have spoken with an attny. about possibly taking on a "class action" suit.
    his office has spent a couple of hrs. with me and online looking into this, and says we have a very good case and cause.. hopefully an attny. comes forward on here with the same frustrating problems, cuz that will surely put him/her in a fighting mood !!!! i will keep you all posted if this firm in Boston will take it on...
  • julien61julien61 Member Posts: 5
    No I did not and I'm not about to replace the engine!
  • rainriderrainrider Member Posts: 1
    I hate to even think about changing the 4th oil pump in my denali but there it sits on my driveway again with oil pressure reading between 25 psi and zero, with the associated ""stop engine" message on. I know the issues with this car and realize that GMC isn't overly interested in correcting it but I'm looking at what to do. The last three pumps where from GMC dealership I installed the last one 10 months ago myself. Does anyone have an alternate MFG for the oil pump. I dropped pressure after a mildly hard acceleration from 20 to 50 mph. I don't know if the spline drive on the pump slips or if the crank drive tines are worn but the car only has 60k miles on it. Is there a fit issue with putting a cast iron 5.3 liter block into the car instead of the alluminum one in there now?? I burn a little to much oil in my opinion but GMC says that it is within in aceptable tollerances, about 2 qts between oil changes and yes I keep an eye on it. The oil was full in the car at the time of this issue repeat. Any help would be appreciated, PJ
    Hello PJ,

I'm sorry that the oil pump has been such a problem for you on your Envoy. If you decide to work with a dealership on this repair, please let us know as we would like to be available to assist in any way possible.

Also, I see you mention that your vehicle is burning oil. I wanted to be sure to let you know that the accepted rate of oil consumption is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). If your rate differs, it may be worthwhile to have your dealership perform an oil consumption evaluation.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • benbobbidict1benbobbidict1 Member Posts: 1
    since last summer, the fuel guage would flip, the 'check engine' light would come on, at certain fuel levels, at first, then around december, never stopped flipping, and the light never went off. i called my nearest gmc dealer, told the problem, informed them i had read HERE that gm paid for all but $150, no hassle, and the svc mgr looked it up, and said 'ok'. i waited a month to see if anyone posted news of a gm recall, paying for all, but did not happen. this is capitaland gmc in glenville, ny. left it for half day, picked it up, now, i don't have to set 'tripB' all the time to keep from running out of gas. mine gets around 14mpg, 25gal tank, so when it hit 300miles, i filled it. now, that aggravation is gone. thanks to you bloggers telling me that it would cost only 150. i looked online, saw a pump/sender was $300, my son and i were going to yank the tank ourseves, killing most of a day and spending more.
    i am dealing with the very popular "instrument cluster failure". how did you go about replacing it at fraction of cost ?? i had it to the dealership, and they offered nothing as a break. not split the parts or labor... the service writer said this is a huge problem with this line. i dont think i should have to foot the whole bill for GM's failure to install a dependable part in the 1st place.. its like they designed these to fail at 3 yrs. old to drum up income on parts and service... i think this girl sarah means well but unless she can authorize some type of reliefe i dont need to be told make an appt. at dealer.. did that..
    It's great to hear that everything has been resolved for you, benbobbidict1! :)

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning timbo65,

I see that you have already been to the dealership for this and that you are hesitant to do so again. If you wanted to explore what options may be available through the Customer Assistance Center, what we can do is get the Service Request established, gather necessary information, and evaluate the case (there are many factors that are considered).

If you wanted to start this process, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lesiamckenzielesiamckenzie Member Posts: 1
    First, I love my truck. I absolutely love my Envoy. But, after having the problems I am having with this truck I will never buy another GMC product again and from what I am reading, financially, you can't afford that kind of decision from your existing customers.

First, my midgate window regulator has been out for over 2 years. Fortunately, it is in the "down" position. Second, my instrument cluster has been going "bonkers" at random with incorrect readings on temperature, speed, and oil pressure. Third, my check engine light is off and on due to a bad oxygen sensor. And finally, last night with a 9 month old on my hip my rear glass got "stuck" in the down position-tail gait would not open-and DIC instructed me to go to the users manual for a Midgate issue (which was not the problem at all). We currently have a tarp draped across my car because we don't want it to rain inside as we cannot get the window up. We have been directed by the manual to take it to the dealer and have no choice at this point as the back glass will not come up and the tail gate will not open. Imagine producing a vehicle WITHOUT a tailgate safety release/reset-shame on GMC.

My car has less than 90,000 miles on it and it's almost 9 years old. To say the least, it's been well taken care of. I have had the oil changed and kept my reciepts just like I should have because I do love my truck. When I clean my car, I use q-tips and toothbrushes. However, the fondness I have for my truck will NOT outweigh common sense when it comes to making a decision to buy another.

My issue is now with GMC. I cannot tell you how many posts I have read online concerning a model vehicle that only 12,000 were made describing the EXACT same problems I am having with my Envoy. How many of your customers have to report bad window regulators and bad instrument clusters before you do something about it. One website indicated that I may indeed have to wait on replacement parts because "so many have been ordered that they are on back order now."

Wait...you mean GMC has had such a large number of these regulators ordered that they are now on back order and GMC refuses to issue a recall???

If you refuse to stand behind the craftmanship and the parts in this American made vehicle, I will never purchase another. Not only will I never purchase another, I will make everyone in my WORLD aware of the problems I am having with this vehicle and GMC's lack of committment to stand behind their vehicles.

SHAME on GMC. What a way to represent the American automotive industry.
  • rachelnjrachelnj Member Posts: 2
    If you file a lawsuit please let me know. I have an 05 Envoy and the fuel gauge stopped working about a week ago. I received a letter from GMC stating that there was a recall on it about a year ago and not to take it to the dealer unless you currently had the issue. They are only covering the repair at 50%. It seems to me that if they knew that there was an issue before I did that they should cover it at 100%. I called the dealership and was told the repair would be about $480. That means that I pay $240 out of pocket for their faulty equipment unless it is still under warranty which it is not. How could it be I purchased the car used in 2010 and the warranty expired in 2008. My SUV only has 61,000 miles and yet they refuse to pay. I spoke to GMC customer service and they stated that the issue was only with half of the cars so only half of the costs would be covered which makes no sense. In addition my speedometer is not malfunctioning and according to several sites that I have looked at this is a wide spread issue. There was a recall but not for my model. They need to pay! This could cause accidents and other issues. What would they do if someone stalled out because they didn't know how much fuel were in the car and got into an accident? Or if I am speeding because obviously I don't know how fast I am traveling are they paying for the citations? This is ridiculous. I LOVED my vehicle up until these issues and the way that GMC treats its customers. So basically if you are able to get anywhere with the lawyer please post.
  • jakawhite3421jakawhite3421 Member Posts: 4
    If any one has the same complaint. Please contact me and send me your contact information to make GMC pay us for the trouble! My GMC Has only 46,000 miles and the cluster in the dash sending unit in the tank and the fan clutch went out at on 46,000 miles! Please lets get this going contact me!
    I am with you. If there is a suit i am all in. I had bad fuel sending unit, and the topper was i had to replace the Engine 114k well maintained vehicle
    Rachel, i am ready to make these GM crooks pay. Let's try to. Make it happen
  • rachelnjrachelnj Member Posts: 2
    I'm all in. Let me know how you would like for me to contact you.
    I'm ready also. I own a 2005 Envoy. I've had a gas guage repaired. Now, I'm suffering with the oil senosr issues. I've also had the issue with the fan clutch at about 40,000 miles!
  • envoy05envoy05 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2012
    I also have the same problem as you julien61, with my 2005 Envoy XL. I have seen a lot of posts about just call your dealer and they will split the cost with you or it will cost $150 to replace. Called Todd Wenzel GMC and he said $450 just for the fuel sending unit. So I am all about recovering my costs.
  • ugmikeugmike Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2007 Envoy. I think the fuel guage went about 20 months and 50K miles ago. I currently have 145K on it and finally need to have the fuel gauge fixed since I need to pass emissions for a plate renewal. Can't get the check engine light off without fixing the fuel gauge. Maybe more is wrong there too. No help or feedback from the dealer other than pay me, pay me, pay me... Don't recall ever getting a letter about an offer for GM to pay half - not that a cowardly offer like that is sufficient to a major issue. But now even if I had such a letter I understand there were mileage limitations. The tire pressure light goes on and off whenever wet. Plus like others the front speakers work on occassion. Add me to the list of those having "fun".
  • joevegas7joevegas7 Member Posts: 2
    my fuel gage recently stopped working , my master fuse blew the other day, the tire pressure lights go on and off whenever they want, after reading all these posts i am not looking forward to other things going wrong but it seems like they are unavoidable....great
    joevegas7,

I'm sorry that the gauges are having some difficulties on your vehicle; have any of these issues been looked into as of yet?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • edmunds42edmunds42 Member Posts: 1
    I had 2006 GMC Envoy which is giving inaccurate gas level readings. This is known problem with GM SUVs from 2005 -2007. the NHTSA has gotten 668 complaints. GM agrees to pay 1/2 the fee to fix it. My half was $194. The dealer stated they will not paid 100% because it is not a safety issue. I told them -"Try running out of gas on the entry ramp to the George Washington Bridge and see how safe it is". GM should recall theese vehicles and fix them
    edmunds42,

I'm glad to hear that you have gotten 50% of the repair costs covered. How is your vehicle running after the work was finished?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • joevegas7joevegas7 Member Posts: 2
    i do not have the time to take it to a dealership, i had my mechanic look at it and i demmed it not worth paying for, when i have the time to go to a dealership and deal with the hassles of going to a dealership i will get it done if they pay half
    Good morning joevegas7,

I certainly understand time constraint. Keep us posted if and when you decide to go in.

Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lizstllizstl Member Posts: 1
    hi i have 2004 envoy having problems.....oil pressure low stop engine check gages now it wont turn on where can i get help
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ladyt2004aladyt2004a Member Posts: 2
    I am also having the same problem, I have a 2007 gmc envoy xl and my gas gauge went out. I understand that gmc is doing a 50/50 split on getting this repaired is this correct is it possiblo? What can I do to get this repaired? I am a single mother on a budgeted income.
    Bring your vehicle to a GM dealership & they will honor the 50/50 split on the gas guage repair. It cost me about $191 for the gas guage repair. Hopefully, you won't experience the oil guage problem. :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ladyt2004a,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your question and concerns. If you would email me your VIN and current mileage to SocialMedia@GM.com I would be happy to verify that for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tenvoytenvoy Member Posts: 1
    2006 Envoy
    Have had the same problems for 3 weeks with my Envoy. Took in to have part replaced today. I also had to pay 1/2 for the repairs and I am furious!! After reading numerous customer complaints for the same issue same vehicle I feel GM should be responsible for the total repair/replacement to my vehicle and I will be contacting GM directly with my complaint! If I do not get any results with GM I will be making my complaint known to ANY media organization that will listen as I feel we as consumers are truly being taken advantage of by General Motors!!!
  • jakawhite3421jakawhite3421 Member Posts: 4
    EVERY ONE OF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I HAVE LOW MILES AND EVERY THING WENT OUT. IT COST ME $ 2000.00 FOR REPAIR. 48,000 MILES FOR A GMC AND IT TO DO THIS IS NOT A GOOD COMPANY FOR ALL OF US TO PAY! I AM PISSED AND WE ALL SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND GET A LAWYER AND GET GMC TO PAY US BACK FOR THE LEMON THEY SOLD US!!!!! IF ANY ONE WHANTS TO DO THIS SEND ME YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION AND WE WILL GO FOR IT!!!
  • acortezacortez Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the complaints and mine is similar. I have a 2006 envoy with low miles, my check engine light stays on, my gas gauge does not work cant tell you how many times i ran out of gas.. and gmc says there is a tbd on all this but will not cover the costs.. I do not have money to fix the problems that my lemon is causing so it just sits.
    Good morning acortez,

Have you spoken with the Customer Assistance center already on this? If we can look into anything further for you, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include the last 8 digits of your VIN, summary of the situation, the name of your dealership, and your name and contact information).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    hi acortez,
    sorry to say your not going to get much from GM on this. sarah seems to really care about the problems the millions of our GM cars are having, but has no power to make GM repair or recall stuff... i put my truck into dealership and told only fix is a new instrument cluster [$700.] !!! screw that ... i found a place online that will totally rebuild your cluster for $300. and they do it fast !! overnight your faulty set, and have it back in 2 days... its really too bad cuz i loved my envoy, but GM lost a longtime customer....
    good luck cortez...
  • shaiyeshaiye Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have been in the same situation, to where I am trying to sue for my vehicle. I purchased an 06 GMC Envoy Denali cash in 05, using the money from the military that was given to me from my husbands death. I have had several problems out of my vehicle, resulting to even purchasing a new engine for $8 thousand + in the year of 07. my truck is currently down again, because i was told I needed a new engine again, how convenient is that is goes out after my 3yr warranty on the new engine. To make matters even worse the dealership I bought my vehicle from and who did all my oil changes and repairs including the engine is now closed. I called the local delearship and gave my VIN# to see exactly when my engine was replaced, and they didn't include that in my carfax report, they worded it totally different. No one has information on the dealership or knows where their files are, which leaves me in a tough situation. If any one has any help or leads as to what I should do please respond. I have contacted a lemon law attorney, but all they say is that they can get the fee reimbursed for the cost of the engine. Although it sounds good, it still doesn't add up to the 38thousand I paid for the car.
  • trekerdantrekerdan Member Posts: 1
    I ended putting coils in from strutmasters ,not to hard to do you can unplug the level sensors so you salvage the air compressors
  • dditoredditore Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like some have had similar problems. First off, I had to quit using the dealer as their prices were 3-4 times what others charge, and they typically did work not needed, or oversold. Now, first off, we love this vehicle and regardless of the poor service would buy GMC again. We have taken regular care of this vehicle, and did not have major problems until this year. First the ac went out on the way to Vegas. We did go to a dealer for that. $1700! Now this week my daughter was driving when suddenly the check oil light came on. She drove right home. I checked and could not find any oil! We had just changed the oil 2 months ago and regularly check. Also, the vehicle does not smoke, and no stains in the driveway. Our mechanic said the engine was blown. On taking the engine out, he found that the seals were blown, causing the oil to be blown out at speed. Now I know the warranty is out, but these huge expenses all at once are disconcerting, especially with how we have cared for this vehicle. Another reason to not use the dealer, is the ballpark of almost $6000 versus $3600. Anybody had this, and what did you do?
    Read all other post in response to mine. Thia is why many are look into class action. The same thing happened to many of us and we had to replace engine. If your gas guage has not gone out yet it will and then maybe cluster electrical problems. Many of our died with less than 100k some not much over but you're just getting started with the cost. Hate to give bad news.
  • dditoredditore Member Posts: 4
    Ok I have read, and it looked like an attorney was contacted, and you wanted in, and I believe, Rachel and more. If so, I want in, and what do I do? :mad:
  • richking2richking2 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I brought my 2006 Envoy used in 2009 with 42,000 miles on it. I have had all oil changes and took very good care of my vehicle. I was told that a diagnostic was $1040...and it would not go towards the repair. It would be just to know what happened or why my engine blew. I have been reading these posts and realize that the 6 weeks my car has been out of order, I have been on a wild goose chase. I dealt with one dealer who quoted me $6700 just for the engine. Claimed they could not find a used one because these engines are supposed to be 'bulletproof'. Labor would be another 2100. Found a dealership that would do the diagnostic, and they found out that my car had a valve spring that broke off into the 3rd cylinder. As if I know what or how that happened. To make a long story short, GM paysfor half the repair which means I need $4300 to fix my car. I owe $9000 on it still. With no engine the car is worth $3000 maybe. I feel like my engine had problems from the beginning, GM SHOULD COVER ALL THE COST. Why would they offer half unless they felt some responsibility? My car has 72,000 miles on it which means in the last 3 years I have put 30,000 miles on it and then the engine blew. I was on an expressway with my 2 babies 9months and 2years old when this engine blew. Scared is an understatement for the way I felt when this happened. I live in a city where GM is huge, many of my family members worked for them at one point or another. I cannot believe the way I have been treated by their dealerships with their outrageous prices and their customer service assistance. By the way my AC is also gone in the car, I'm scared to ask them to look at that...I 've heard that the Denali motors have had some problems and that I should surf the net for similar stories like mine and came across this site. If anyone knows of any legal action I would like to be apart of any cases...I have called a few myself and I am waiting to hear back..I don't have $4300 to put into a 2006 Gmc Envoy Denali...even with a new engine its still a 2006 and only worth blue book value....Please help....believe it or not this is the short version of my 6 week ordeal.
  • ladyt2004aladyt2004a Member Posts: 2
    Have you started a lawsiut , I would be willing to go in the lawsuit so that GMC can pay for these lemons we bought. Have you gotten anyone else . contact me if interested.

Tanya