Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Whirring Reverse?

rick94110rick94110 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Dodge
Hello Dusty: Read the threads. Have No reverse. Asking for advice for right steps to take. I ... Just bought Dak ‘01 3.9 auto with 119k. Tran oil not pink pink, but not brn brn either. No stink, no burn. Since the oil was dirty, I imagine there’s been deferred maint… Zero on code. Shifter Recall not done yet. I parked, came back, on reverse a rattle/grinding noise for a few seconds and I put it in park to make it go away. That’s all the noise I heard. Later that night, drove home. Rechecked code: Zero. Tried reverse. Now a whirring noise. Has very slight feel of engagement. There’s a little trouble getting it into the Park from Reverse so that the dash light shows park, but it will get there. Will warm engine and check tranny level next. Will check lines. (Hav to buy book). I called the Richmond Dodge Service, but it’s been 3 hours, and they still haven’t called back. So… next step, somehow get the right tranny fluid, replenish or replace. And Next step? Get out and rock the car from side to side a bit? Man! Or…
Ah. Sounds like the shift cable is binding (46RE) or you have a bad Transmission Range Sensor (mounted on the side of the transmission).

*Gear selector out of adjustment

* Rear band loose (adjustment)

* Throttlebody malfunction (dirty or worn)

* Broken or severely worn rear band

*Defective or inoperative front clutch

*Overdrive thrust bearing failure

Comments

• rick94110rick94110 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, Now I really read the threads. Here's the order of the recommendations:

Since it's deferred maintenance, and the tranny oil is brown, change it with the right fluid, check the magnet, if there is any for shavings. Test, if not :(

Call the Dodge servicer about the Recall. Might not that have something to do with it?

Check the shift cable (46RE) Test, if not

Check the transmission Throttle Cable. If sticking it can cause most of your issues. If not

Transmission Range Sensor (mounted on the side of the transmission). But wouldn't this show up on the Reader with code????

If not it's up to the mechanic to make a determination, and I don't want to be bamboozled: In order of checking.

* Rear band loose (adjustment) (Don't they do that when they change the tranny oil?) What if someone used the wrong oil. Do I trash the whole thing???)

* Throttlebody malfunction (dirty or worn)

* Broken or severely worn rear band

*Defective or inoperative front clutch

*Overdrive thrust bearing failure

Linkage out of adjustment

*inoperative or worn front clutch

*Rear band misadjusted

*Worn or broken overdrive thrust bearing

*Broken direct clutch spring">
This discussion has been closed.