Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Power Steering

trench12trench12 Member Posts: 5
Has an oil change at the local Ford store last week and the service writer informed me of the need to have my power steering fluid changed at the next service ($87.00). I was under the impression that the PS system was electric. Whats the deal??????

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Power steering is a hydraulic system that requires fluid to transmit the power generated by the pump.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    We have electric power steering on our 09 Escape. I was curious so I looked under the hood. No evidence of a power steering reservoir. If there is hydraulic fluid how do you change it?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If it is an EPS system then it will have no belts, pumps or reservoirs. My understanding was that Ford started using EPS in the Escape starting in '09 but apparently it was included in the '08 models. Can anyone verify this?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Yes, it applies to 08 as well. Our daughter has an 08 and there is no ps reservoir. Same as 09.
  • mcdmommcdmom Member Posts: 1
    38K miles, suddenly having to steer manually. Does anyone know if this is a fuse, or electronic issue that a dealer has to repair?
  • josee8josee8 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 08 Escape, I called the 800 ford customer service number to report it. You should as well. The dealer wants to charge me $1,600 to fix the problem!! This should not be happening on a fairly new vehicle.
  • dhoodletdhoodlet Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $1,330 to replace a electric power steering motor on my Sons 08 Ford Escape with 72K. Ouch. New technology is nice but crazy expensive to replace. There has been many issues with this motor as I have read. I am surprised there is no recall. That is a dangerous thing to go out on a vehicle. My Son is in the army is and only days away from driving 1,000 miles with a 2 year old for Christmas when we had it fixed. That could have turned out tragic. Ford should compensate for this somehow.