Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-series GT

james27james27 Member Posts: 433
edited August 2014 in BMW
The specifications on the new 8-speed transmission in the GT says that it is modular, and designed to support all-wheel drive without changes in length, so this is likely to make all-wheel drive available eventually on the GT. Most of the info I've found implies that won't happen until late summer or fall 2010. Most articles are also kind of mute about whether the diesel will ever show up in the USA. Combining both diesel and all-wheel drive is yet another variable into the pot. With the diesel expected to account for 60% of sales outside of the USA, they may not find enough to make it here. But at the equivalent of 40mpg highway (extra-urban cycle) in Europe, I think it would be a great addition here.

Anyone else interested in this combination? Does BMW listen? Anyone heard anything on this?

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A diesel? Yes.

An 8-Speed automatic transmission? No.

AWD? No again.

I'd like a 5-Series GT with a diesel engine, RWD, and three pedals under the dash. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    A manual is fine, except when your normal drive is stop and go traffic. It just gets tedious. The weight penalty of all-wheel drive and the fuel penalty is worth it if you live in the snowbelt and your driveway rises 30' in a short distance in the winter!

The new GT does some neat things to improve efficiency:
    - alternator doesn't charge the battery except on lift off or braking
    - (not sure if this is in the US version) automatic grill louvers for faster warmup and aerodynamics
    - the transmission is more efficient than the one it replaces by 6% because of lower internal drag. The engine RPM at cruise is really low (7 and 8th are overdrive)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "A manual is fine, except when your normal drive is stop and go traffic. It just gets tedious."

I suppose that different folks have different opinions, however, I MUCH prefer to drive a stick in heavy traffic than an automatic, and I've put my money where my mouth is pretty much every day for the last 32 years (when I bought my first car with a stick). Over that time I've lived in metropolitan areas of (in order) San Diego, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, Cupertino/San Jose, Chicago (again), New York, and now Boston.

"The weight penalty of all-wheel drive and the fuel penalty is worth it if you live in the snowbelt and your driveway rises 30' in a short distance in the winter!"

Hmmm, over the last seven winters we've had four with 100" of snow or more and our driveway is a 9% grade. The only thing I needed to get my RWD BMWs up the driveway, even in the worst of conditions, was a good set of winter tires. No way would I want to saddle a car like a BMW with AWD. :)
    I had a chance to test drive a 540GT today. This had all of 20 some odd miles on it, so that may change as it gets some mileage on it. I found it tended to hunt gears at 30-40 mph on a curvy/hilly road. If you were going faster, it might not have done that. It feels like a heavy car even with this large engine. Acceleration was strong, but not explosive as you might expect with a twin-turbo V8. Handling through the curves was quite stable, as you'd expect from a BMW. It did not have the dynamic drive to adjust the stabilizer bar. It did have the 20" low-profile, run-flats. You could feel the roughness through the steering wheel, which might be ignored after awhile (I didn't drive all that far). I think the stock 18" tires may be better in this regard with their higher sidewalls. I was also surprised at the tire noise. That also may be better with the smaller diameter rims, but not sure.

The all-wheel drive versions are due in July 2010. There are no current plans to import the diesel. Too bad; I think more competent diesel choices would improve their acceptance here along with the better environmental impact.

So, I'll check back when the 6-cylinder model arrives, but am disappointed they aren't thinking diesel as well. There's more than economy to those, but they have a poor image here that isn't being helped by a dearth of choices. In this model, the 530dGT is rated at 42mpg on the European extra-urban cycle...an eye opener compared to the 21mpg of the 540GT including a $1000 fuel hog tax bill on purchase. Admittedly, fuel economy isn't always a big driver when buying this class of vehicle, but it certainly doesn't hurt if the negatives aren't onerous.
    edited March 2010
    In the rest of the world, there are now 4 engine choices for the GT: the 530 and 540 gasoline engines, and the (originally available) 530d and a new 535d. The 535d makes 299Hp and (I think it was) 500ft-pd of torque and is on par with the gas 6 in accelleration. The penalty in fuel is about 1-2 mpg on the highway, down to 42 on the larger diesel although that number appears to be preliminary.

Here's hoping BMW will bring at least one of these diesels in for this vehicle next model year when the x-versions(all-wheel drive) arrive.
    At the NYC auto show last week, I was told the diesel motor will be available on the GT next (calendar?) year. they said corporate often doesn't tell them much until just before it happens. The brochures they were passing out listed both the 535iX and the 550iX models in addition to the original (US) 550i.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    It feels like a heavy car even with this large engine.

That's one of my problems with the GT. It is a heavy car. The US spec 550i weighs right at 5000 lbs. That's 400 lbs more than a 750i, fer crissake. I can't get my mind around that.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    On the other hand, that's 400 lbs less than a X5.
    BMW issued a press release on 15 April that describes the x-drive versions of the GT and the 7-series. The 550iX and the 530dX gt's will become available in June overseas, and the 535iX in September along with the 535dX. The USA will be getting at least one of the diesel versions (including the X-drive?) next year. We may get the 535iX about the same time as overseas. The 530dX rates about a 32mpg average mpg on the Euro cycle and tops 40 on the highway. Not sure what will happen here. I'm holding off for the 530dX, since it is one of a few cars that I have enough headroom in. My New England driveway makes x-drive a very desireable option. Not necessarily my first choice, given enough room, but one of the few that I fit into that I'd be willing to drive long-term.
    The German website now shows the 550ix GT. Soon, here.

The BMW people at the NYC autoshow in April indicated they were told the diesel would show up in the USA next calendar year. Sooner, rather than later, I hope.
    Earlier this year, BMW said that the 550ix and the 530dx would be available in Europe around June. Haven't seen the 530dx. They also said that the 535ix and the 535dx would be available (again, in Europe) around September. It appears that things are not going as originally planned. Anyone have any insight?

As noted above, they also indicated a diesel version of the GT would come to the USA next year. Anyone have any insight as to whether that includes the x-drive version (my preference, if available) and when? I'd really like a new car by next spring!
    BMWUSA added the 535i x-drive GT to the European Delivery Program list today.
    Michelan just shipped the first run of PA3 snow tires in 245/50-18 run flats. If you wanted a snow for this winter, you might want to check them out as they will likely be scarce.
  • biffinatorbiffinator Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I saw one in the parking lot where I work, gorgeous, imo, and will definitely be pretty rare I think. (otoh, 3 series is about as common as a chevy where I work)

The weight is a bit of a stunner. The 535 (w/out x drive) is about 4650 lbs.

Look on the bright side, 550GT w xdrive is about 100 pounds less than a ford crew cab pickup truck! :-) I'd still love a GT. Maybe if I get a hefty raise every 3 months for the next 3 years...
This discussion has been closed.