Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    About gas mileage.... you may wish to check your odometer against the mile marker signs on your local interstate. Some prior years have an error of about 3% in the miles shown on the odometer and the actual distance covered. My '07 Limited is off by 3%, the standard error. Speed shown is correct, just the distance is off. The error, if you have it, is more than obvious in just 5 miles of driving, you will pass the 5th mile marker and will be waiting for the 5th mile to complete on the odometer. This topic was discussed many times on different boards here on Edmunds.com.

Also... If you drive about 53 to 57 mph average you should get the highest possible mileage figures for any car, that's how they are built. Load factor (weight) means very little in places like south GA, FL, the plains areas or the desert southwest. Only when the little hills become steep or you hit the real mountains does vehicle weight seriously effect gas mileage. Keep us informed... :)
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    Good input fin! I never thought about my trip set being off in the car. Personally I think my computer is off a tad. Sometime the computer is saying I get a little over 34 mpg. Anyone else get this kind of reading? I do a reset after every fill up and carefully log everything. It's pretty flat down here is SC, GA line.
  • southcentralkssouthcentralks Member Posts: 10
    I can agree with you on the grill. I did look past it and traded in my Lexus for a new Avy 11 model in December of last year. I found an after market that looks just sweet and I am glad I did not install it myself. I make too much money with my fingers to get them cut up on the mesh. The photo on the website looks like my Avy down to the blizzard white pearl paint. Check it out and see it does not make you feel better about the front end. I get a lot of comments on it too.

http://www.carid.com/2011-toyota-avalon-grill/eg-classics-grille-92384.html
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Nice, I'm going to give that A LOT of thought. It makes a nice change.

Skip
    edited September 2011
    I looked at your site about the grill. I cannot say for sure I like it. Coming from the car business, I know that alternating some of the factory installed things can actually lower the value. Espcially on high end cars. NOW, please do not think for a minute I'm saying it lowers the value. I just know in some cases, depending on what you do, will LOWER the value of your car/truck.

For example. I saw a beautiful Lexus the other day. Nice car, late year model. Then I notice the wheels on the car, it looked like bicycle wheels. NOW, I KNOW this will lower the value of that Lexus. Plus not to mention what those wheels does to the ride of that car. He's has to feel every bump in the road because there is no tires, all rims.

If the owner likes it then I guess that's all that matters. The grill, looks ok but I don't think it's for me. Does that make since? I do LOVE the Pearl White. Beautiful color, great choice!

I have to ask, what you do for a living that makes your hands so valuable NOT to install such an object like this. Do you mind me asking?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You are so right about the after-market wheels. Most times, especially on a car like that, it's just hideous. Plus, they not only change the ride, but totally mess up the geometry of the car! They handle way different on those rims, they either oversteer or understeer, and worst of all, those wheels are often not round, and you can never balance them right. Hate 'em! I guess they're ok on a 10 year old Town Car with hydralics, but not on my Lexus..... :cry:
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Just returned from a 2,500 mile trip and real happy with the car. I did notice my odometer showed 30 less miles than my GPS indicated. I believe the GPS.

I've not reset my MPG since I purchased the car and I left home with it showing 27.5 and when I arrived at my destination it showed 27.7. That was with four adults and luggage. I put around 400-500 miles driving around Branson MO and the surrounding countryside which is very hilly. When I departed for home the odometer again showed 27.5 and it showed 27.5 when I made it home.

Got something from Toyota asking me to complete a survey which was quite long. They wanted to know any problems I've encountered and how serious they were. I really haven't had any problems but there is some areas I don't like and would like to see them changed. I tried to work that into the survey.

With a few exceptions I'm a very happy camper.
    Wow, we're heading out bright and early tomorrow, for a trip of 2500 - 3500 miles, and Branson is on our list of stops as well.

2 Adults, and tons of luggage. 2 weeks on the road, and cloths for 2 weeks.

Skip
    edited October 2011
    Great time of the year to visit Branson.

I think the Gatlin Brothers will be there and they put on a great show.

Let us know how your car performs.

PS: If your looking for a day trip that will show you the best of the ozarks let me know and I'll give you the directions along with places to get some awful good food.
    edited October 2011
    Wow, we're heading out bright and early tomorrow, for a trip of 2500 - 3500 miles, and Branson is on our list of stops as well.

Now that's what I call a trip. I wish my wife would go on a trip like that.

As for the MPG guage. I reset mine every fill up. Log everything into a book and keep the receipt. This really adds for your resale value. People love records. Naturally I keep all other records too. I even log when I clean the car.

I also received the survey from Toyota. One thing I wish I had mentioned is that the 2011 Avalon doesn't have any sensor's to show another car in the blind sides. Other cars like the Buick have this feature. Plus if it's raining, the back up camera is hard to see out of. VW has a flip up camera. I think this is an excellent idea.

2012 Avalon Peak------------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2I2YsvI68

Stay safe on your trips everyone.
    Just watched the video once but didn't see or hear anything new.

Here is a video that shows you how to adjust your rearview mirrors that will completely eliminate your blind spot. At my age it took some getting used too but it really works and now I would never go back to the way I used to adjust them. This is also taught by the senior driving course.

http://youtu.be/KwzUE6PHk4U
    edited October 2011
    I'll have to try this. I understand the concept. He's basically saying adjust your mirror out a little more by leaning your head.

I don't think our cars adjust the mirrors when it's automatically adjust our seats. Does it? Toyota should ad this.

I have to agree with you on the video. I didn't see any difference in the 2011 and the 2012. ONLY the steering wheel. The buttons are different. They HAVE to change something. I didn't see a review on the Avalon. It was very good. Here it is for all interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7i8FwVba3A&feature=related

Another review site said the Avalon got 0-60 in 6.2 seconds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbuomVNEctU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list- =PLDF5B5103B3FC8A32

My wife went with my mom the other day. My mom (Bless her heart) didn't know how to adjust her side mirror. She has a small car, Sentra, LTD. It's a nice car and very quick. I couldn't believe Mom was driving around that small town of her's ONLY using the rear view mirror. The two side mirrors where pointing up.

You take care Gramz! How many miles you have on your car now? 25,000?
    It ends up that you adjust your mirrors more than just a little bit. When you get them adjusted and sit normally in the seat it seems you're looking at nothing.

If's very hard to leave them in this position but if you do and get into a lot of traffic with lanes on both side of you I think you'll really like the vision you have. I never consider changing mine back now. The first time in in 45 years of driving that I don't have to turn my head to check traffic and I feel confortable not doing it.

Yes, when you open the doors with your fob the side mirrors adjust.
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I tested my 2011 over 50 miles on the interstate. The odometer was 2.8% shorter than the actual mileage (as indicated by mile posts). This is about the same as on my 2007 Avalon and similar to everyone else's reports.

Now I am curious as to why this situation exists. Certainly Toyota would be aware of it and is OK with it. For what reason? Is it just a little extra cushion in the customer's favor (1,800 miles on the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty) to avoid being called miserly, if they get challenged on a warranty claim denial?
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    Yesterday I took a 200 mile round trip on a flat to gently rolling interstate highway and got average mpg computer readings of 34+ in both directions, using cruise control, 70 mph (2000 rpm), no a/c, in perfect 70 degree weather with no wind, and just golf clubs and one piece of luggage in the trunk. Grooving to the tunes of the '50s and '60s courtesy of XM radio. The car is a real joy.
    We have noticed an unpleasant sensation, through the steering wheel of our 2011 Avy Base model. My best description is it feels like the steering column is loose, not tighten up and has a little play of just a few CM. It seems to bottom out but recovers. My bride and I have noticed it is duplicated when we are turning, either left or right, and only when we hit the transversal street where there is an uneven height of the roadway. Sometimes this can be just the slight dip on residential streets where there is a concrete gutter 2 or 3 feet wide...more like a strip or swale of an inch or some before the asphalt meets it on the other side. Maybe its in the suspension? We are pleased with the car. overall performance, ride and features but we are just a little North of 15K on a full wrap warranty and it doesn't appear anytime else while driving and its beginning to bother me. Has anyone else had this situation? I don't seem to find any service bulletins...any comments?
    edited October 2011
    I have noticed some very SLIGHT movement in my Avalon I (LTD model). After adjusting the telescopic steering wheel, AFTER the adjustment I notice some very slight play. I adjusted it out.

Recently I adjusted the steering wheel back in. I haven't driven much since I did this but I think it's gone. I do not believe MY problem is with the front end but in the steering column.

My movement in the steering wheel was very slight. Not enough for my wife to notice. I'm the primary driver and maybe that's why. There is NO clucking noise, only a very slight movement.

I will keep you updated, since I did adjust the steering wheel to much further in. Hope this helps.
    Marketing REO FC properties nan48.
    Whether I am in the office, at home or in the Avy I am on the laptop 70 to 75% % of the time. After 23 years of reporting to Clients on marketing their assets if I couldn't use my fingers now...I would have to retrench and get some voice activated software to type on the tablet. Back in the day it was Kodachrome, 1 day PhotoMat, Fedex and then fax machines came around...but that went the way of the internet and email over the past decade.
    I can say I have had more compliments about the roominess of the back passenger area in this 2011 model and how comfortable the reclining back seats are than I could imagine. Which is good because it takes a little time writing the offers up with all that bank paperwork.
    Thanks, I was just curious. I know hands are very important. My wife recently lost some function in her right hand. She is limited on what she can pick up.

I never thought her work would fire her because of this. She's a Chemist not a brick layer. We are in litigation over this. We have been for a few years now.
    edited October 2011
    I have noticed some very SLIGHT movement in my Avalon I (LTD model). After adjusting the telescopic steering wheel, AFTER the adjustment I notice some very slight play. I adjusted it out.

Recently I adjusted the steering wheel back in. I haven't driven much since I did this but I think it's gone. I do not believe MY problem is with the front end but in the steering column.

I have MUCH less movement after adjusting my steering wheel down closer to the dash. At times I still feel some slight movement. I am convinced that this movement is from my steering column and NOT my front end. I hope this helps. Next oil change I'll have them look at it. I'll keep you posted.
  • robin5robin5 Member Posts: 19
    I ordered my remote start with the car and trust me, WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!! It almost never works and now I find the remotes don't even work for the panic without a few tries. The car simply doesn't recognize its own remotes until I'm right on top of it. MUCH worse than my Highlander. It took over eight months for them to admit there is a problem with the starter. I finally took the car home with a new EID computer for the started, but that wasn't the problem. After two absolutely scathing customer (dis)satisfaction reports to Toyota, they never even called to discuss it. I finally called them and insisted they check again. NOW they admit the remotes aren't recognized by the car. It's been there for almost a week and they still don't know what's wrong. They claim no other dealer has reported this problem. I reminded service that I complained for over eight months before they responded and that was only at my insistance. There could be problems all over the country that the dealers deny. They claim the remotes work every time up to 170 feet. When I make them show me, it doesn't work, BUT THEY STILL CLAIMED THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. Now they admit it, but can't find out what's wrong. Ugggh!
    I ordered my remote start with the car and trust me, WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!! It almost never works and now I find the remotes don't even work for the panic without a few tries. The car simply doesn't recognize its own remotes until I'm right on top of it. MUCH worse than my Highlander. It took over eight months for them to admit there is a problem with the starter. I finally took the car home with a new EID computer for the started, but that wasn't the problem. After two absolutely scathing customer (dis)satisfaction reports to Toyota, they never even called to discuss it. I finally called them and insisted they check again. NOW they admit the remotes aren't recognized by the car. It's been there for almost a week and they still don't know what's wrong. They claim no other dealer has reported this problem. I reminded service that I complained for over eight months before they responded and that was only at my insistance. There could be problems all over the country that the dealers deny. They claim the remotes work every time up to 170 feet. When I make them show me, it doesn't work, BUT THEY STILL CLAIMED THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. Now they admit it, but can't find out what's wrong. Ugggh!
    Re 'low tire' light: CHECK YOUR SPARE. My Highlander and my husband's 4Runner let us know when the spare air pressure is low. My husband's spare is a tire he removed from the car when he replaced the tires and it has a slow leak, so he's refilling it every week or so.
    Have not had a low air light come on in my 2011 Avalon in 16 months of Michigan driving.
    Remotes SUCK, though.
    I'm 5'3", 130 lbs. My husband is 6' and 160 lbs. We drove my 2011 Avalon with air conditioned seats on a 1300 mile trip and there were no lumps for us. Must be an issue for larger drivers.
    I REMOVED MY DRIVER'S SIDE HEADREST AND PUT IT ON BACKWARD because it pushed my head forward so that I couldn't just sit back and relax. I haven't read any mention of those damn headrests!
    Mine didn't have Bridgestones when I bought it, but my snow tires are Bridgestone. I bought dedicated snow tires for my 2011 Avalon Limited and like the way it drives in Michigan snow. The tires are rated for 130 mph (heavy foot here), aren't noisy at all, and handle well wet or dry.

Bridgestone BLIZZAK WS-70 215/55R17 94T. $130 each at Belle Tire Dec. 2010.
    Sorry, but for me, the BLIZZAK's suck!

I have to go home a different way, if we get more the 6" of snow.

I'll agree that they are quiet and comfortable, which is what I THOUGHT I wanted in a tire (I put on 35,000+ miles a year and want quiet and comfortable).

Here in Maine 6", 8" 10" or more snow storms are pretty common, so I'll be doing some research on a better snow tire for me.

Skip
    Regarless of what that site says, I can't see them producing a 2013 Avalon in Nov. of 2011. Maybe I read the site wrong. I can SEE them bring the 2012 Avalon in Nov. 2012. In fact I think it's already here. I think!

For me, I like the 2011 LTD. I'm not one of these guys who has to have the latest and greatest. When I bought mine Avalon, I knew the car would last many years. As of today I have 12,800 miles on it. The 2011 is truly a remarkable machine. I have no complaints.
    I believe you. I'm having a similar issue with a new car I bought, (not a Toyota), the dealer has no idea what to do about it because it hasn't been found before. At least not at that dealership. I've checked the blogs, nobody else is reporting it. So I may have one of the few with the problem. And you may too. That doesn't help either of us, and it's very frustrating. Sometimes, with the electronics in these cars, bugs are very hard to locate and kill. I don't know what to do but keep trying. Eventually, should there be no relief, I'll have to lemon law the car, or sell it. But I don't really blame the manufacturer or dealer. The manufacturer orders parts from 1000 different sub-manufacturers, once in a while, they don't work right. They should care, they should do everything they can to resolve it, but it happens. Sorry for your frustration.....and for mine.
    Has anyone feel any kind of play in their steering wheel? I have some very slight movement. I don't think it's in the front in. I'm also certain it's in the steering wheel column. I have adjusted my steering column several times. 13 thousand miles on car as of today.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    A while back someone posted that Toyota was working on a new blade arm to eliminate the noisy wipers. Has a solution been found? My dealer claims not to have heard anything yet. Mine drive me crazy in anything other than a heavy rain....they are quiet then....but in a mist or light rain they skip, and make lots of unpleasant noises. Any suggestions?
    I have the same problem, but I think it's just the wiper getting broke in. I did hear of someone replacing the wipper blades and helped. I would have to look back.
    I'm really curious as to what causes the problem.

I'm hoping my last forever as they are the quietest wipers I've ever had. Even it they only make one pass they are extremely quiet.

Makes a guy wonder?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    On my 2008 Limited, when I squirted the windshield washers they always performed one last swipe across the windshield after pausing for awhile. On my 2011 Limited, after the wipers finish their passes, they simply stop with no final swipe. Is that everyone's experience or are mine not working correctly?
    The manufacturer orders parts from 1000 different sub-manufacturers, once in a while, they don't work right.

FINALLY! A reasonable customer who understands the reality of building a car. My compliments on your intelligence and comprehension of the complexities of modern manufacturing. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    So basicaly... you've impressed yourself?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Oops!!! I didn't realize that was me! No wonder I agreed..... Sheesh. Can you please delete that message I wrote? And this one? I'm so embarrassed!!! :blush:
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    My 2011 Avalon has exactly what you have described. Exactly. I have about 27K on it. I have not had it looked out yet however.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Oh gosh, no!! It's fun, nvbanker. I thought you did it on purpose... I would've if I'd made such great insights (that may have been ignored by others).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ok, so we took a 2 week trip in our 2011 Avalon, and here's what I'd like to say.

- The Nav systems made this trip a delight.
    - The tires were nosier then I'd like them to be
    - The wipers were very squeaky
    - The MPG was fine (we had a lot of stuff in the car / trunk)
    - The radio didn't seem to go up in volume as the car went faster or got loader inside
    - The seats were ok, not great, but ok

On the Nav system, yes it would be nice to add or edit while driving without using voice commands, but being able to use voice commands was just fine. When it went to the split screen while highway driving, so VERY nice.
    It wasn't perfect, and on 2 occasions, told us to take the next right (which would have put us into the farmers field). But once it realized we didn't turn, it got us back on track just fine.

The tire noise was a real big deal for both of us, a real big deal, and a real big pain in the butt. It caused us to stop a bit more often so we could get some piece and quiet.

The tires are Bridgestone Trunazs.

MPG bounced around, but so did the terrain and our speed.

I'd like quieter glass also. When it rained hard, the windshield was very noisy and unless we had the radio on 25 + for volume, we couldn't hear it, and we aren't that old or hard of hearing (yet:))

Skip
    Yeah, looks like nobody else even noticed! Obviously, they don't read me! :cry:
    Tire Noise: I have Bridgestone Turanzas on my Lexus also, and they're quiet. Much much quieter than the Dunlops I've had before. So I can't explain that, especially if they came with the car new. Tread design can make a world of difference on tire noise.

RADIO: You do know that you need to set the speed-controlled volume to a level of increase you desire, don't you? If not, you do.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Look at the lease rate for NY. Toyota is nuts if they think I'd pay more for an Avalon just because I don't live in NY. Wise up. Same stupidity with Lexus leases. :mad:

Lease Deal:

Deal: $349 per month for 36 months with $2,699 due at signing (New England)

Deal: $309 per month for 36 months with $2,999 due at signing (New York)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals/Toyota-Deals/
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited November 2011
    Just got back from Toyota with my new NAV disc. My '11 was one of the early ones and had the 09 disc, so I thought it a good idea to update. So far, so good, plus there seems to be a few minor screen changes. Map loaded seamlessly...total time to change out the discs was about 4 minutes, including system re-boot.

Part number, for anyone who is interested, is 86271-GEN06-11. Cost was $169 (supposedly Toyota List...and I had a $100 credit at the dealer, so it worked out nice for me!...I'm sure it might be cheaper if one were to look; however, who knows.) which, I believe, is less than previous Toyota NAV update DVDs....
    edited November 2011
    nan,

I have the same issue. Tech supervisor at the dealership said it was the adjustment system, not the steering linkage itself. I played around with my adjustments and it seemed to get better; however, if you are looking for it, it is there. The wife doesn't notice it at all...and I've learned to ignore it.

Now, if Toyota would replace the steering wheel adjustment system to one like in the Lexus......where it is all power.....that would probably eliminate the issue completely.
    edited November 2011
    nv,

Been off the forum for a while and started laughing at myself when I tried to find the original post you were replying to, finally realizing that you, indeed, were replying to yourself!

I'm glad the mod left it! Thanks for the smile and reminder that there are other humans on this forum like me!

Now, if you'd have disagreed with yourself..... ;)
  • jwillinjwillin Member Posts: 16
    How did you find out they had an update? Do you have to pre-order?
    edited November 2011
    I read last month that an update was coming out sometime in October. I was servicing my car and spoke with the parts department. Tech there said they keep a list, so I got on it. I had to pre-pay 'cause right on the Toyota tag it says:NO RETURNS Except for Warrantable Concerns". They called once they were available and got my CC number. It showed up in two days.

The packaging had a date on it of Oct 3, 2011.

HTH
    I played with the steering wheel and it's better. It's only a slight move but it's there. My wife doesn't notice it but I do. I really like the car. With that said this is one small problem that is really bugging me. We paid a lot of money for a these cars so there should be no movement in the steering wheel at all. MY OPINION! I'm still wondering if the movement is tied to the front end. Maybe I'm just looking for something wrong. When I can I'm going to take to dealer. If nothing else just to log in where I had a problem. In case it breaks in the future. 13,100 miles on car, owned for year and 1/2
    Yes, at least I agree with myself, but that is little comfort when I don't recognize my own post! :surprise: