Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    This car has been passed around a lot. I would be very careful with that low of miles.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    There's an interesting crimp in the tether for my Lexus as well. I don't think it helps, but I've learned to deal with it.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Is that dealer in Kansas, I think, still selling the Toyota Extended Warranties for less than other dealers? If could could I get the contact name and telephone number?
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We don't permit contact info to be posted here (no names, no numbers), but they're welcome to post the dealership name and you can let google do the work from there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    The info is right here in this forum. Post #883

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS EXT. 565, I'm not allow to post the name or the phone number. I don't want to violate any of the rules in this blog. Hope this helps,
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Present situation:
    Toyota Sienna LE 2009
    Subaru Forester S 2002
    3 kids, and all are getting bigger
    Tight garage

I would like to replace the Forester.

I am having issues with getting the kids to fit in the back of the Forester, or, if I need to pick up my oldest from high school and her friends. A new car has to solve that problem, or its pointless.

Another way to put it, if the minivan was broken, we could still take a trip from Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and not have kids complaining they are uncomfortable. Not to Colorado, but a day trip length. Or say kids to college.

I would like to replace the garage, but it looks like it isn't going to happen. I also question that even if I do replace it, I still would have a problem with larger vehicles, because I have to make a sharp S turn to get in.

I like many cars, for instance, Subaru Outback, Highlander, 4Runner, Camry, RAV4, Venza, Honda Pilot, and now, the Avalon. But some of them are too big. I am now willing to give up AWD.

I like the heated seats (like my Sub), full size spare (like the Sub), heated mirrors (like the Sub), large back seat with a comfortable middle seat. Other things too, folding mirrors, hands free, heater vent towards the back seat. Much to like, not many objections.

Reviews of the Avalon say they are pricey, so I have to ask, if I am willing to purchase an Avalon, are there other cars in that price range, for instance some of the Nissan or Infiniti cars, that might be suitable. Honda Accord? Any opinions?
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Many thanks, made contact with Jerry
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I had a 2000 & 2004 Forester, both of which I liked. I know what you mean about the terrible backseat in the Forester, one of the few downsides of that car. I now own a 2005 Avalon Limited and a 2010 Outback, both purchased new. The OB is very nice, much nicer and more refined than my Foresters. However, it can't touch the AVY, which is more powerful, rides better, more comfortable with a limo like backseat. And it is very easy on gas for a big car. It has also been very reliable. And remember, I really like my OB.

BTW, I live near Pittsburgh and have never had a problem in the winter with the Avy, which has about 96,000 miles on it. The redsigned Avy, which is due out in within a year, will be on my short list when I trade in my current AVY.

I've also test driven a Venza. It reminds me of an Avy SUV. But I did not think it was worth thousands more than the OB, which I think the Avy is.
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    See comment #708 on Pg 36 !
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    On the turn signal lever you can turn your lights on, turn to automatic, turn off DRI and turn your lights off.

Closer to the steering wheel on the turn signal lever is a control where you can turn SOMETHING? on and turn SOMETHING? off. I can't determine what this something is. I've looked in the manual with no luck. Can someone explain this?

Thanks
  • daktaridaktari Member Posts: 9
    I'm pretty sure that's the control ring for the fog lights.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Thanks, that's it. Found it in the manual also.

Something I've never used.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    Yes, it's definitely the fog light switch. Nice thing is that one doesn't have to use the fog lights when they're not needed. Many cars have them integrated into headlights so that they come on every time the lights are turned on. The Avalon has a better system and will allow them a longer life before replacements are needed.....at least it would seem that way.
  • gumpfu007gumpfu007 Member Posts: 3
    Picked up a new 2011 Avalon on Saturday, Feb 25. They had to change the battery saying it had sat in the showroom for a long time, which seemed odd. I signed all the papers and supposed to go by and drop off my check tomorrow. I drove it 150 miles on Saturday with no problem I get up this morning and the maintenance warning light is on. Owners manual says to take it to the dealer. I'm wondering if I am getting a lemon and do I have any recourse to cancel the deal since I haven't paid? It may be something simple and I don't want to be unreasonable, but what are my options here?
    They put air in the tires and warning light went out. Brand new car and low on air? Strange. I had a Buick with tire pressure monitors that came on randomly. More trouble than they were worth.
    If the car sat for awhile, it's entirely possible. Get used to tire monitors they are required equipment on all new cars.

I wouldn't worry about the little things. A car that sits for a while with all these options will drain the battery. I personally do not like a car to sit but my car sits a lot too. I've had no problems at all with my battery.

I love my Avalon but I'm thinking about selling it. Nothing wrong with the car or any complaints. It's just we're not driving that much and I really only bought it to drive back and forth to Birmingham AL for my wife's treatments.

Any takers on my 2011 Avalon LTD, I'm asking 32, comes with factory warranty plus an 8 yr. 100,000 mile extended warranty, I have 15 thousand miles on the car. It's the limited edition and of course there is savings of no sales tax for all buyers. All records including EVERY fill up. Car has no dents, nothing wrong, garage kept. Perfect, not as much as a door dent, with tinted windows and a nice pin strip. Silver! The price might sound high but it's really a new car.
    edited February 2012
    I wouldn't worry about the little things. A car that sits for a while with all these options will drain the battery. I personally do not like a car to sit but my car sits a lot too. I've had no problems at all with my battery.
    edited February 2012
    I love my Avalon but I'm thinking about selling it. Nothing wrong with the car or any complaints. It's just we're not driving that much and I really only bought it to drive back and forth to Birmingham AL for my wife's treatments.

Any takers on my 2011 Avalon LTD, I'm asking 32, comes with factory warranty plus an 8 yr. 100,000 mile extended warranty which is transferable to anyone. I have 15 thousand miles on the car. It's the limited edition and of course there is savings of no sales tax for all buyers. All records including EVERY fill up. Car has no dents, nothing wrong, garage kept. Perfect, not as much as a door dent, with tinted windows and a nice pin strip. Silver! The price might sound high but it's really a new car.

Photobucket
    I was away on a long cruise only to find my tire pressure gauge lighting up when I returned. Actually it turned out to be the spare tire that was soft. The spare should be checked when the light comes on as it may be the culprit.
    I notied my spare going low too. Always making the warning light come on. I thought that was odd being it's the spare. It's happened twiced now.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    My 2011 Avalon is close to my last "Free Oil Change".....My Toyato dealer, does a good job but think they try to "over sell". At the 15,000 and 20,000 oil change, they wanted me to replace the cabin air filter......I said "NO". They never showed me the filter, so yesterday, I spent 10 minutes...and checked it myself.

Tools needed, 1 phillips screw driver. Here is procedure:

1. Take everything out of glove box(reason the filter is behind).
    2. Take the 1 screw out of the "piston rod holder", on right side.
    3. Glovebox has 2 tabs, 1 on left and 1 on right. Push these, toward center of glove box.....can do these, 1 at a time.
    4. Front of Glove box, will drop down....allowing access to the "cabin filter housing".
    5. Has tab on either side.....push/pull out......cover is now loose.
    6. Filter is right there.....pull it out.

7. If you have Toyato do it......filter is $25.00 plus labor to put in...
    8. Filter Price in stores is from $10.00 to $14.00.....my labor is cheap.
    9. Put new filter in .... mine had alot of stuff in it.....I tapped it on the cement but will replace, when I have a new filter.

Total time......Less than 10 minutes......

PS.....I like my Ltd., have 2 parties that want to buy it.......I'm waiting for 2013 before I make a move.

Total time to do this.....less than 10 minutes
    edited February 2012
    Thanks, that's excellent information. I was offered 30 grand for my Avalon, NOOOOOOOO, I said! I might just keep it. Thanks again for information on the air filter. What are your offers? I'm curious. Sounds like you have about the same miles as I do. That's low miles, not even broke in. I would write down the date on the filter or on your records. The date you changed the filter.
    1. I wrote down the date and mileage on the cover of the "cabin air filter", both for myself but also any Toyato techs., that might "want to check it"

2. No dollar amount talked about but it would be whatever the high book is at the time. Just makes it nice that others want a nice "used" car, and can't/won't spend the $$$$$$$$$ to buy brand new.

I like new, can afford new, pay cash for new......so sure not going to "take a bath" by trading the car in, with a dealer.
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    Can't wait.
    Eric
    Posted on: February 7, 2012 6:42 pm

I work for Toyota. Here is what I have to say about the new Avalon.

Has a Jaguar XJ like side view with the current Avalon tail lights
    The one I saw was white
    Had a walnut interior
    Biggest change in any toyota in many, many years
    Front looks like the current Lexus LS; almost identical
    IT IS HUGE
    It officially gets rid of the “granny car”…
    Apparently the EPA is 25/35
    There WILL be a hybrid version. (Mystery large Toyota hybrid)
    It will be shown at the NY auto show

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-toyota-planning-gas-sipping-avalon-19-new-mode- ls-for-2012-166917.html#ixzz1oZ5DJKbD
  • marco33marco33 Member Posts: 15
    Since you work for Toyota, maybe you know the answer. I have a 2011 avalon, and the driver and front passenger seats are very uncomfortable. seats are cooled, and the air plenum that connects cooling air duct to underside of seat jabs me and my wife. i went thru all teh normal channels at Toyota, had two cases opended' and there is nothing they can do. seat basically needs a bit more padding.

Did they fix this and/or change the front seat design for 2013? Other wise love the car, but am looking to get rid of it due to discomfort....
    I don't work for Toyota, notice I cut and pasted from a Motor Trend article, what Eric posted who says he works for Toyota. Sorry I can't help. I have the heated seats not the cooled ones. I decided that when told by a friend the cool seats aren't that comfortable.
    My seats are very comfortable, I've had no issues with my 2011 Avalon. I'm waiting to see the 2013, and then will decide whether to by the new one. If the EPA figures Eric posted are true, I might take the leap.
    If you like the car???? Do you want to keep the car????? If the answer to these 2 questions is yes.....then I'd find a upholstery shop, tell them what you want.....they can get it done, so that it will be more comfortable. Would be a "heck of alot cheaper than a new car".....

My Unlimited Avalon, just turned 25,000.....last free oil change. I have the cool/heated seats...have zero (0) complaints......I'm 6'3" and 250+ and they work and feel great.....
    I personally believe your seat to be an isolated problem. I'm 5'10", 230 lbs. I have an extremely bad back with Harrington Rods in my back. If the 2011 Avalon had bad seats, believe me I would know. I have 15 thousand miles on my car as of today and almost all of them have been HWY miles.

They could have left cushion out of your seat. Maybe there is something else wrong. I know if my seats bothers me, then I would have it fixed. I would check out other Avalon's to make sure it's JUST your seat. With my back, I have a hard time sitting in a lot of seats. The Avalon is not one of them. Hope this helps.

I am looking forward to seeing the 2013 Avalon. I'm especially anixous to see the specs on the 2013, like the gas mileage. I'm not sure I would give up power for gas milage though however I might. The 2011 Avalon has PLENTY of power. I think we can all agree on that. If anyone gets solid proof of specs on the 2013, please post them first thing.
    Seat coolers do firm up the seats in any car. I've noticed it in the Avalon and specifically the LaCrosse I'm driving now. The first one I drove didn't have coolers and was very soft. The model I ended up buying does and at first I was concerned the seat was a little on the firm side. After a few days I got used to it, and actually like it. Just did about 300 miles yesterday and was comfortable the entire trip.

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Sorry, nope. Well unless there are multiple isolated cases. I too find the seats to be less then comfortable on long trips.

5' 10" 165 lbs and a bad back.

My trips average 500+ miles per trip with many being 5-7 days and 3,000+ miles for the 5-7 days.

Avalon 2011 LTD with headed and cooled seats. Now I will say, it's not fair to judge these seats to some degree, when I've had 3 Buick Park Avenues, with MUCH large and MUCH softer seats.

I WILL take the 2013 Avalon for a LONG test drive when I do, and I WILL if at all possible, RENT the car I'll purchase next and use it for a few days. It should be the best $200.00 +- Ill ever spend before purchasing my next car (If they rent the car I'm interested in at the time).
    If you can't rent it, ask the dealer for an "extended test drive". When I bought my LaCrosse I asked the dealer and they gave me the sales manager's demo. I had it for well over an hour (I bet during the week you could keep it for most of the day). They didn't even ask me to replace the gas I used!

That's a good idea - my when I buy cars, the dealers let me take them home overnight - or I don't buy them.
    Well I hope to have silence with my wipers, now that they have changed them.

The numbers on my paperwork are:

85211-ac010
    85221-ac010
    85212-ac011
    85222-ac012

I don't believe these are the same as others have noted?

Skip
    I can releate to quite wipers. It sure is nice.
    The numbers you have on your paperwork are the same as mine. They are wonderful and very quiet. They also clean very well. If they continue to operate as they have since Feb 6 when they were installed, I will be extra pleased.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Why are there 4 part numbers for two wiper blades?
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    Did the Dealer replace the wiper components under warranty, and if so what did you tell the dealer and did they give you push back ? Did it apprear that they know there is an issue and that it is common knowledge to them what the proper fix is ?
    edited March 2012
    The dealer DID replace my arms under warrenty. I explained to them this problem was already logged into Toyota's data computers banks. He said "if it is then our techs will know". All I can tell you is I came out with new wiper arms and blades and no noise. I have 15 thousand miles on my Avalon almost 16 now. I've owned my car over a year now. They did act like they knew nothing of this problem and was quite surprised by my complaint. I guess they haven't had many complaints, because we haven't had much rain in this area for almost 2 years. Hope this helps.

On our recent trip my Avalon got almost 29.2 MPG by my figures and 32.1 by the computer figures. I still believe the computer to be off by 2 mpg. The car perform excellent. My driving habits are not as good as my wife's and I got 25.4 when I drove. 27.1 with the car's computers. I'm still impressed by the power of the 36 hundred pound car.
    I told them that on a recent trip, the wipers were a REAL BIG pain in the [non-permissible content removed], as they were squeaking both ways (up & down), and that it was all the time, and loud enough that I had to have the radio at 15 to 20 to try and drowned out the noise.

They did it under warranty, with no grief at all. They said they hadn't heard of any recall or notice on the problem but wanted to do whatever they needed to, to make and keep me happy.

The car is 11 months old, with 24,000 miles on it.

Skip
    2 arms and 2 blades

Skip
    :(:(

Damn it, these are even worst!!!

I'll be going back to the dealership to complain and see what can be done.

- Did they change them, or only say they did? (I'll be marking these so I'll know)

- Not only do they squeak, but they also kind 'of pound on each swipe, at the beginning and on the return swipe.

You DON'T notice it when the wipers are on intermittent only when they are on full time.

Skip
    There is the *right* fix out there, believe me, I know. My wipers are fixed and they seem to changed the whole arm. Make sure and tell the techs it's logged into Toyota computers about this minor problem.

I know it don't seem minor but my car was at the dealership about 30 mintues and came out fixed. NO CHARGE either. Hope this helps,
    It will debut at the 2012 New York Auto Show New York (Apr 4-5, 2012) ...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/27/next-toyota-avalon-spied-wearing-its-sleek-ne- w-shape/
    SEE SPY SHOTS
    We got our first glimpse at what the 2013 Toyota Avalon may look like thanks to a an artists rendering that appears to take some creative license. The teaser really only shows us that Toyota wasn't kidding when it said it was taking the Avalon upscale, with a dramatic, sloping roof line that conjures thoughts of the Audi A7.

The Avalon is only days from its world premiere on the big stage at the 2012 New York Auto Show, but we have some spy shots that tell us even more. The photos show us what we already knew; that the artist rendering isn't exactly representative of reality. But the pics also show that the sleek roof line and vastly reworked proportions are very real.

The Avalon prototype has enough protective cladding to give the Storm Chasers tank a run for its money, but we do see what looks like a very different front fascia, LED taillights and a pair of impressive chrome-tipped exhaust outlets. From the rear, we get a better sense of how the sedan will look, and it appears there may be some tape covering up the lines that would tell us if these prototypes are in fact hatchbacks.

Spy photos were also taken of the reworked interior, but the insides were also covered up beyond recognition. We are able to see an attractive leather steering wheel and completely reworked redundant controls. We can also see expensive-looking french stitching above the gauge cluster, as well as upscale gauges themselves.

Open the link and Click on the gallery to view the high-resolution spy photos of two different prototypes. Stay tuned to Autoblog for the official reveal pics of the 2013 Toyota Avalon
    Looks like too much credit is being given to the remake, to me. As it has been with the Camry, Corolla and many other Yotas, the main section of the car remains unchanged, the roof, doors, glass. They get new front ends, rear ends, and interiors, while the happy middle remains the same for decades. The Camry has been virtually the same under in the middle section since about 1990. The looks may be dramatically different under the cladding, but I doubt it's a "whole new car". Not the Toyota way. Continuous improvement, slow and sure is their model.
    Here's hoping it's a killer.

I just stopped by the local Toyota dealer, and he took a 2009 LS 460 AWD in trade with 67,000 miles on it:)

Skip
    I told them that on a recent trip, the wipers were a REAL BIG pain in the [non-permissible content removed], as they were squeaking both ways (up & down), and that it was all the time, and loud enough that I had to have the radio at 15 to 20 to try and drowned out the noise.

I would explain this problem has been LOGGED into Toyota data banks. This is a knowned problem, especially were it rains a lot.