Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I stopped by the dealer and told them that the new wiper arms / blades not only didn't make it better É it made it worst!

He informed me that Toyota has just come out with new wiper blades, that he feels is to help cure this issue, but that Toyota wasn't just replacing them for no reason, and seeing he just replaced my blades and arms, he'd have to check with Toyota to see what to do next.

Hell the 2013 MAY get announced this coming thursday, maybe I'll just wait and see.

Skip
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    I would say it's your dealership NOT wanting to replace the wipers. Dealerships are all different. I had no problem AT ALL getting them to replace my entire wiper arm and others in here have had no problems getting theirs replaced either. There is a problem, it's logged into Toyota's data banks, so I'm sure they know about this problem. The problem shows up more in Washington state where there is a lot of rain but the wiper's do have a problem. It can be fixed. Hope this helps!
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I have had my LTD 2006 for many years. No wiper issues, I just get rainX latitudes at walmart and good to go. Only problem with car has been the L Xenon self balancing motion stopped but Headlights are fine otherwise. Great car can't let it go until the new 2013
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    I posted , on page 66, item number 1296.....my problem with my 2011 LTD Avalon, noisy wipers....

bottom line.....factory fix......no noise.....took NEW ARMS and NEW BLADES.........If your dealer is telling you he doesn't know about any fix........THE DEALER is lieing to you!!!!!

I live in zip code 98520......have lot's of rain, so I know about quiet wipers.....now I have them....
    I live in zip code 98520......have lot's of rain, so I know about quiet wipers.....now I have them....

Bill from wa is right. I had to tell them to "look it up", I told them that on the West Coast they had more problems than here in Ga/SC. Not much rain here. Avalon went in, techs got a hold of it, came out with new arms and blades, problem was sloved. Hope this helps!
  • pat147pat147 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Avalon and thru my own fault I wore the car battery down to nothing. This being the case, I was unable to open the trunck with the release on the dash board, the key fob, or the button on the trunk.

Two dealers said that there used to be a key lock hidden on the trunk in previous models but could not find one on the 2011 Limited.

How do I get into the trunk in this situation. Also, there is no valet lockout on this car so that wasn't the problem.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    The only way I could think of is to open the pass through from the rear seat and with some sort of long pole, use the emergency release located in the trunk. I believe it glows in the dark so it should be visible.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I wanta know "how you wore the battery down to nothing"??????? Sound like you need to get a battery charger.....could save you lot's of problems in the future.

I do wish, they had the glove box switch to disable the "trunk switch", was a nice feature in my 2004 Avalon, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to Toyato.
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/05/2013-toyota-avalon-2012-new-york/

Not sure I like the front grill placement. Have to see it in person.
  • musicislifemusicislife Member Posts: 16
    I'm not sure I like the bulbous front end. I do like the rear though. I'd like to see how big the rear deck is. With the looks of that sloping rear window it must be huge. I see they removed most of the wood trim in the interior. The multi-function buttons on the steering wheel look interesting. I don't like the looks of the two obvious holes that are the cup holders. The back-lit display appears to be easier to read than the current one.
    I can't wait to see, feel and drive one, but until then, can we get some spec's?

- Rear room, more or less then current model?
    - Just how smooth / quiet is it?
    - Price range?

I'm thinking from these photo's, there will be one in my driveway this fall:) (Dark Blue)

Skip
    edited April 2012
    I've never been a fan of a long back window. I remember driving the 73 Ford Fast back and you could not see out the back. Usless window on the Ford. Lets hope the rear window is not like that.

First thing I saw I didn't like was the cup holders.

I would have to see the specs before I fall in love with this new Avalon.

I do love the so called "Duel Exaust" pipes. Very well done. Again I would like to see the specs. Lost of power? More MPG? Room in the back?

I have several compliments on people riding in the back our Avalon. One person said it's almost like riding in a limo. Just have to wait and see for me. Not a big rush with 16 thousand miles on my 2011 and my big extended warrenty.

Just found a picture of the 2013 Avalon, I don't know, I don't believe the back window is anything like the 73 Ford Fastback, close but I bet you could see out of this window, I did find out the 2013 has less horsepower 3.0 engine, We have a 3.5 engine, 248 pounds of torque at 4700 RPM, the 2011 is faster but probably the 2013 is better on gas. ? ?

Photobucket
  • southcentralkssouthcentralks Member Posts: 10
    In so far as wheelbase length, if the NY Auto Show reveal of dimension is correct, then it is the same as 2011 and 2012. This then places the interior dimensions of the cabin on the redesign. Overall width may be wider and length may be longer to provide the roominess that the videos allude to. Interesting, though I wish the QNX OS was used in lieu of MS Sync electronics.
    "I'll be looking for someone who can make a new name badge for the front and back:), then this car will be complete:)

http://www.designsbyskip.com/oldcars.htm"

Skip
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    Nan48.....where did you hear the 2013 Avalon will have a 3.0 liter engine?
    As soon as I can get one of these made, it will replace the front and back ones on the new model, and then it will be complete:)

Just a bit more class.

Skip
    Looks like the passengers will be able to control the air / heat right from the back seat?

- http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/toyota-avalon-2013-picture-11.html
    edited April 2012
    Not sure, but I think I'd would have rather seen the mirror bezels painted the same color as the car?

Skip

http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/toyota-avalon-2013-picture-6.html
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Sure an ugly seam on the left side of the dash on picture 10.

Looks like 80 is still straight up on the speedometer.

Cup holders look like an after thought.

My 2011 may turn into a high mileage vehicle. We'll see
    I'll have to see it in person but I'm not liking the front one bit and the overall profile looks a lot like a newer Sonata.

I'm not sure but there are, what seems to be buttons in the back. You might be right. I wonder about the leg room. Is it the same?
    http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-187454.html

In this ad on the internet, it says they won't tell you the MPG till spring. I think Spring has Sprung. So anyone out there know?

I probably won't tade in because there seems to be a price increase and I haven't seen anything on a Limited yet. I suspect later on in the year they'll have a LTD. (Limited)

I might look at a Prius C, if I went for MPG. I like the speed and the MPG of the 2011 and 2012. Avalon, but that's me and we don't drive a lot.
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    Do you still have those new ivory carpeted floor mats. If so, I would be interested. I have a 2011 avalon with the ivory interior that came with the black mats. I think Toyotas idea of constrasting colors leave much to be desired aesthetically.
    Here is an excerpt "And speaking of faces: is that a gigantic chrome egg-crate- textured, horizontal water-melon hanging out of the front of the “all new, emotional” Toyota Avalon? Yet another “all new” Toyota face, another brand striving for consistent visual identity?

“Faces” on cars do matter, folks! And not that many car companies understand that."
    from
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/04/11/how-designers-put-a-face-on-cars/- - 2/

This is the part of the new design I can't warm up to, it's overdone. I might stay with my 2011 Avalon.
    I wish I could see it. I'm not connected to face book. :(
    I'll wait to see the final production, but it's KIND OF growing on me:) Of course that might be me hoping the final version is a bit smaller.

Skip
    edited April 2012
    Photobucket

Now let me know what everyone thinks of the 2013 Avalon front Grill. Is it a face only a mother can love? hmmmmmm, it's certainly different!
    I really don't like it, buuuutttt if the car was great in every other way it could be liveable.

I think Toyota developed a bumper into a grill. I haven't looked at one in person but it looks like it's a grill, perhaps to let the engine cool better and give it better MPG. ?? It's different. Unless it improves the proformance, I personally don't like the new grill but I would have to let you know for certain when I see one close up.

I did read articles that said "Toyota was trying to appeal to younger group". One article said Toyota's Avalon comes with a free membership to AARP. And so on.

For now all I can say it's a change. I'm not sure how that plastic shinny so called crome would hold up to 80 MPH bugs slamming into it, in the country. Any thoughts on that. Knowing Toyota they tested for that.

For now, my 2011 Avalon LTD, with 16 thousand miles is just fine. I paid 3.66 per gallon for gas yesterday, OUCH! My next car might be a Prius. MIGHT!
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    From this picture I think the front grill is absolutely ulgy! Also, it does not look practical. Damage would be major with the least little incident to the front. The rest of the car especialy the side view looks pretty good. I was hoping for a more conservative grill something like on the front of the Lexus. Just my two cents!
    I don't mind a couple of dings on my front bumper, but now there is none. Also, if in NJ, where do you put the front license plate, unless they did away with it. Make the grill a little smaller, move it up to take the place of where the Toyota insignia is, and center it (replacing the smaller grill opening) between the head lights where the narrow smaller opening now is. Then you have an overall winner, and a car with a bumper returned (slightly ahead of the grill so if touched by another car, in parking, the bumper is touched first, not the grill) and a place to hang a plate. Just my humble thoughts. Other then that, this sounds like the best Avalon to date. If they do this, I'm a buyer. I hope they see the light and make the change. That seems to be the major complaint from all I've been reading, hopefully they read it too. As it is, I won't buy it, it's not practical. They didn't think it through. When they got rid of the old real chrome steel bumpers, to plastic that was one thing, but to get rid of a bumper in the front is nuts. Good luck to all.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2012
    I remember a few pages back about some speaking of a slight loosness in their steering columns. My wife started noticing a slight click in the column and you could feel it move when you drove, so I thought it was just a loose adjustment. Took it into the dealer, who agreed that there was a looseness; however, the senior mechanic said the click that came with the slight (1/8th inch or less) movement was a defect and they are replacing the entire column under warranty.

Will keep the board informed once it is replaced. The Service Manager did not respond when I asked them if their was a TSB out about this...and I'm truly surprised at how fast they are just replacing the entire column.
    I had the slight movement but no clicking. I mentioned it to the dealer but they checked the front end. It's only moving a little and only notice by me. With that said my wife said she finally notice it the other day. Please keep us update on your steering problem.
    Did a search on the net, came up with the following site:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/327965/20120413/2013-avalon-toyota-specs-picture- s-new-york.htm

2013 looks good, like the following features......what I didn't like was going back to 210 HP vs. the 268 HP the 2011 and 2012 have.....Hope the 210 HP is a mistake, I like that "extra zip" when I need it......at a little over 27,000 miles, my gas mileage, kept in a book, is a little under 28 mpg......leave the hp alone and give me the "sports suspension", I would be happy.

"The redesigned Avalon does come with a lot of swanky trim, from touch controls for climate and audio to "special lighting, including ambient night illumination," but more interesting is the fact that it will come with three driving modes: Eco, normal and sport."
    Well, steering column now replaced, AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No movement in the column at all, no clicking. Steering is tight and much better than ever. It has never felt this good. I was actually just expecting the clicking to go away but the solid nature of the steering with this replacement is noticeably improved.
    :D
    My problem is my steering only moves slightly sometimes. It's not a problem that others notice. Can you describe your problem better to me.

When I last took my car in to be checked, they check out the front end. I know there's no problem in the front end. The movement is almost something I got use to but I would like for it NOT to move any.

So can you tell me in detail more about how your column acted and what did you say to your tech to make them take notice.

Thank you for your time, 2011 Avalon 17 thousand miles
  • potat0epotat0e Member Posts: 12
    Thanks marv15, good article.

The idea of a hybrid sounds good to me. I'd love (almost) double city mileage. The Highlander hybrid is rated 28/28, but it weighs 4641 with SUV aerodynamics, so the Avalon should do a lot better. Hopefully, high 30s in the city. I'd love that.

Maybe a year ago one of the car mags had a paragraph or two on the new Avalon. It said that Toyota's president set a target, that the new Avalon should be the most refined car available in its price range. (The mag wondered what that meant for the Lexus ES.)

It's interesting now to hear all the talk about sharper handling and hipper sheetmetal and younger and athletic stance, etc. It worries me. To me, that sounds like they're saying "we want to be more like everything else on the road". I LIKE the things that made Avalon unique, and I don't want to lose them.

For example, I'd love it if they brought back the bench seat. LeSabre is gone. Park Avenue is gone. Buick doesn't make Buicks anymore. Town Car/Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria are gone. Etc. OK fine, that's progress. But, people who love that kind of car haven't disappeared. I think Toyota should say "thank you" to all the car companies that left that market, and they should hold on to it, with the Avalon.

OK, if they can look hip at the same time, great. No problem. Just keep the almost-limousine room, the comfortable seating position, the compliant ride, etc. Just one (old) person's opinion.

The article talked about competitors, including the Hyundai Azera. Interesting, and true. But, for me, they should also have mentioned the Hyundai Genesis. The Genesis looks good to me and its V6 price might even be lower than the Avalon's. I think my next car will be either a Genesis or an Avalon. I read that there will be a new Genesis in mid-2013 as a 2014 model.
    Buick doesn't make Buicks anymore.

What exactly does that mean? I have a 2012 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 and it pretty much is everything a Buick always was. Quiet, roomy, powerful, great riding, and loaded with amenities.

I hope the new Avalon is a winner, I'll have that to look forward to once my Buick lease is over. I loved my 06.

As for the Avalon having a bench seat and a column shifter that won't happen. The last model to have that was 04 and there weren't many made.

The Genesis looks good to me and its V6 price might even be lower than the Avalon's.

The Genesis doesn't ride anything like the Avalon. I had a 09 and it was very jittery and sport tuned. The opposite of the Avalon.

• potat0epotat0e Member Posts: 12
    "The Genesis doesn't ride anything like the Avalon. I had a 09 and it was very jittery and sport tuned. The opposite of the Avalon. "

Good to know, especially from someone who's actually owned one. Thanks.

From the articles/reviews we've seen so far, does it seem that Toyota wants the new Avalon to be more "sport tuned" too?
    I think they want it to appeal to a younger audience, but knowing Toyota they will put a focus on comfort.

We will just have to see, I hope they just improve on a good thing. I would be driving an Avalon again but couldn't wait for the new model and the 2012 was very close to the 06 I owned.

My 2011 Ltd., just turned 29,000 miles.....car runs great, good mileage, power is awesome but I want new......The 2013 has some features that I feel all cars should have..."blind spot indicator", different tires sizes, switchable driving mode".....plus redesigned interior, with more 12 volt outlets.....I HOPE there are some new colors.....not much change since my 2004....some other car manufactures seem to "have more interesting, creative colors".

Toyato Avalon is a nice car, for the money........I like being able to use regular gas.......I have looked at Lexus and Infiniti, just tough to justify $4000 - $10,000 more for about the same quality of car.

How about you??????
    edited May 2012
    What I learned from wholesaleing cars is this. The MORE expensive the car is, the faster in value they drop.

For this reason I almost didn't buy an Avalon. However, we could afford it and I wanted to treat my wife. I knew we would lose on the money end of the deal if we chose to sell.

As a driver/owner of almost all kinds of nice cars out there at one time or other. I think Avalon deliverers a lot of bang for the buck as any other car. I'm not just saying that because I bought one. I choice the Toyota because of quality, and resell value.

I don't think I could buy a car were I had to put high test gas in one. I mean, I wouldn't. Other people might but not me.

If I drove more than I probably would look at a prius C. I got 17 thousand on my 2011 Avy and love it. I forgot when we bought it but when they first came out. I don't know the value of it today but I'm sure I would lose plenty if I sold it. Hope this helps, But hey, it's not for sale. Well, I shouldn't say "not for sale", EVERYTHING is for sale in my house, except the wife and dog hmmmmm, maybe the dog
  • mrbill541mrbill541 Member Posts: 2
    I want to also document the steering wheel clicking problem. My 2011 now has 19000 miles and what once was a brief clicking sound starting about a year ago is now very noticable turning the wheel in any direction. My wife does not notice it and it was initially so intermittant that I could not demonstrate the problem at the dealership. I believe it is now noticeable enough to be able to demonstrate the problem to the service advisor. When I can spare the vehicle for the day, I will schedule a service appointment.
    Well, you could 'feel' and visibly see a slight movement in the column, no matter how you adjusted it. Not horrible; however, enough to be annoying. Then, my wife started to hear a clicking sound. I never heard the clicks, probably because I'm deaf in one ear and mildly hard of hearing in the other (no pun!). When we took the vehicle in for service, we described it as such. The service writer drove the vehicle to the service bay and said that he had driven hundreds of Avalons (mostly at slower speeds in the service area) and that "there is something not right in the steering...I hear a click, too, and that's not normal. I'm going to have a senior tech check it out." When we picked the car up later, he said the tech was going to replace the column, and that was that.....and all covered under warranty.

Haven't looked back since and, 2000 miles later, I still notice how much tighter the column is, and the wife says: "No more clicking."

HTH :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I bought a 2008 Camry Hybrid. I ran it 70,000 miles and couldn't wait to get rid of it this spring. It was typically reliable as all Camrys are, the mileage was ok, (around 38 in town), but even that doesn't pencil. At $4 a gallon, you still have to drive it about 75,000 miles before you break even from the premium on the car when you buy it. My biggest complaint was the miserable lack of power at any speed, and the roughness of the start-stop all the time. Very annoying. I have no interest in any more hybrids. They'll have to do something better than that to attract me. Considering the Ford Ecoboost next time.

Love the Avalon - but won't get one in the Hybrid flavor if they make one.
    Thanks for the update. I drive 35,000 miles a year, and unless you are getting some 20 - 30% more mileage and or the car is REAL comfortable, REAL quiet É REAL nice, in the end you don't save enough going with another car in a cars class just because of gas mileage, especially if you need to use premium fuel.

Recent 2300 mile trip
    2011 Avalon - $259.00
    2011 Camry Hybrid - $228.00
    2011 Prius - $179.00

I don't see a big enough difference here, to go with anything but the Avalon.

- Bigger
    - More Comfortable
    - Quieter
    - Safer

For me, the difference needs to be $150.00 or more to even consider a different car for a trip like this.

Skip

PS I just want more info on the 2013 Avalon, the Hybrid was never a consideration for me. Now AWD, this I might consider.