Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2012
    Thanks skip, I'm glad other people have thought about this MPG savings. I have 17,800 on my Avy, LOVE it and I'm getting pretty great gas milage for such a big car.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for the info.

I just turned 35,000 miles and I can't say enough good about the Avalon. I haven't reset the MPG since purchase and it now sits at 27.6. I usually lose a few tenths in the winter when I go to the Phoenix area, but gain it back when I return to the Dakotas.

I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip and I kept track manually of my mileage and it was 29.7 which included one tank into a headwind. For the cabin size and the power, I can't think another car can come close to this.

Now for a problem. I sometimes would like to leave my cell or ipad in the car charging but haven't been able to figure out a way. When I shut the car off I lose power and if I leave the ACC on I can't lock the car. Any suggestions?????
  • southcentralkssouthcentralks Member Posts: 10
    The solution would be to have a *dumb* copy of the ignition key made at any auto, locksmith or box store that cuts keys.

In my line of work I rarely turn off my base model Avy 2011, winter or summer, having all sorts of power hungry items plugged into the power sockets or converter. I can lock the single driver side door leaving the car running or with the ACC switch on with no problems go on my inspections comming back to a nice and warm or cool cabin depending on season.

I have several copies, one in by wallet, another in my laptop/tablet sleeve, and yet a third in my satchel or oversize bag. The *dumb* key copy cannot start the car nor open the boot...just unlock/lock the door.
    edited May 2012
    Hey, thanks a lot. I didn't even think about trying the key that's inside the FOB. It works.

I really can't see a reason for getting another one made unless I'm missing something? I would use the one in my FOB and then keep the FOB with me?

Thanks again.
  • southcentralkssouthcentralks Member Posts: 10
    Perhaps, if you are thinking of taking your key out of the spare FOB? A key copy is $2.95 to $3.00 as opposed to opening the spare FOB up and taking the key out and ruining it. I don't know what the limited model FOB looks like as I did not purchase that model though I believe it had an onboard sensor to unlock the doors and a run/start button and my slaesperson said I would not have to take the key out of pocket.

My Toyota dealer told me it would cost around $295.00 to replace any key FOB if I lost or damaged it so it made sense to me just to have a flat metal ( no plastic end) to lay tighter in my wallet.

Hope this helps?
  • potat0epotat0e Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, good points. You've got to save money, not just gas. But if the money works out, I'd sure like to fill-up less often.

The start/stop thing concerns me. I thought an engine needed to be running to keep friction surfaces oiled. "Starting it is a terrible thing to do to an engine" is a saying that has stuck with me for years.

So, stopping and restarting your engine at every stoplight could lead to engine damage, no? They probably have worked that out, but I would worry. Even if it doesn't hurt the engine too much, it can't help it.
    edited June 2012
    Site deleted because of false information.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    That article you posted cannot be true/accurate information

They contradict them selves right here:

Avalon style was inspired by the Audi A7, Jaguar XJ and Lexus lines. The Avalon will retain the V-6 engine of 3.5 liters but will intensify its handling.

2013 Toyota Avalon comes with a 24-valve 3.0-liter DOHC VVT-i V6 210 hp 5,800 rpm 220 lb-ft 4,400 rpm motor for both XL and Avalon XLS.

And this quote simply has me LAUGHING!!!! A manual trans in an Avalon????

For transmission, consumers can choose between a five speed manual or a continuously variable transmission

Could this comment have been for the Scion also mentioned in the above?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I assume the writer of the forum meant a 5 speed manual, automatic, much like we have in our Avalon's. Assuming you own a 2011, or 2012. Our transmissions are 6 speed but can be used like a manual.

A vaurable transmission was a big concern for me. Less torque, with less horsepower MIGHT mean better MPG but I have no evidence to support that.

I didn't write it, someone else did. I only posted the site.
    I've been reading a lot and that post cannot be correct. I stand corrected and was too quick to do my research. Road and Track said they will keep the same transmission and engine. That's good enough for me. I won't post that till I find out for sure. Just an update.
    Assuming you own a 2011, or 2012. Our transmissions are 6 speed but can be used like a manual.

I had an 06 and loved it. The new model is of interest, I just hope that front end they are showing is tamed a bit. The lower grill as it is in the pictures is a deal-breaker.

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Yeah, I've read a few posts that say it's a 5 passenger sedan, unless you get it with e bench seat:)

It sucks, but it is a wait and see thing we have going on here.

Skip
    No bench seat since 04.... not gonna happen. I don't think there is a single new car made any longer that offers a bench seat in the front.

The DTS/Lucerne and the Panthers were the last and they are gone now.

edited June 2012
    The Grill, well, it will take me some time to get use to. Plus the car being more stream line like a fast back. That's another big change. Remember the old 73 Mustanes fastback. I hope you can see out of a 2013 Avalon better than you could see out of the old Mustanes.

I have 18 thousand miles on my Avalon and hope I can get 20 thousand for another Free oil change. My MPG seemed to dropped some lately. I checked the air in my tires and the air pressure is fine. So I'm not sure why the MPG has dropped. I still get excellent gas mileage though. I hope there not putting something extra in the gas. I guess if you're going to drive nows the time. We're paying about $3.09 here in Southern Ga. and if you drive to SC ( about 10 miles away) you'll can but gas there for around $2.98 per gallon.

I really like my 2011 Avalon. I've only had the one problem and that's the clicking noise in the steering column. It's still there and I will tell the dealer next visit. The steering wheel seems loose. NOTHING wrong with the front end.
    How long do they give the free oil changes? I think it was 2 years or 36 thousand miles. Right?
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Free oil changes was 2 years, 25K....just got my last one at 24970 miles. :cry:

I wish you luck in getting that steering column replaced. Very happy with how it improved mine! :shades:
  • myprobmyprob Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for your post! My 2011 Avalon had noisy wipers from day one. It took 3 new pairs of replacement blades and still the noise was horrible. After 30,000 miles, 1 year and 8 months, I complained at my dealership again and was told that they couldn't just "throw parts" at it. I showed the service man a copy of your post and he finally agreed to order the wiper arms. It might have helped that there were customers behind me hearing my story. A week later the arms and new blades were installed and the rainy-day driving is now enjoyable. It shouldn't have taken that long to fix the problem. Thanks again for posting your experience.
    :( And after having done it to my car, they still squeak:(

Now, I wish I had marked my old arms, because they said the replaced them, but the fact that it still squeaks, makes me wonder?

The good news is it only squeaks at the end of each movement. That being when the blades stop on top and and the bottom. They are quiet in the middle of the windshield.

I'm just hoping it doesn't rain much till I get my new 2013 Avalon:)

Skip
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    I have now had my 2011 for about 6 months. With the summer heat, I have used the cooling seats option on a number of occasions. I have noticed that they do not cool nearly as fast or as well as my 06 limited did. I also have noticed that the seats do not seem quite as comfortable. I wrote this off to the fact that the car is new and the 06 was well worn in. Has any else noticed these issues with the 2011 versus an older gen 3 avalon. I am especially interested in thoughts regarding the cooling feature. Does anyone know if toyota changed the system? The heated seat feature works great as it did in the 06.
    I can't say one way or the other, but my 2011 seems just fine, great no, but then again, I'm not sure how much colder I would like the seats to get.

I will say after awhile they don't seem to cold at all, but once I get up and sit down again, it's back to "Cool".

As for comfort, it's a long on going debate / discussion. I personal feel the seats may not cool as well, and they are likely to be a bit more uncomfortable then other years, as Toyota (and others), work to make the cars lighter and more fuel efficient.

Bigger, heavier more comfortable seats needed a bigger, stronger system to cool the seats. So smaller, lighter seats allowed for a smaller fan?

I believe that these are some of the areas that folks complaints may have made their way to Toyota, as some of what I've read about the 2013 leads me to believe these will be better on the 2013 É here's hoping.

Skip

PS I do enjoy my 2011 and folks stop me and say it's a nice looking car - pretty regularly:)
  • clemsonlori98clemsonlori98 Member Posts: 4
    I just traded in my 2009 Hyundai Sonata (loved it) for a 2011 Toyota Avalon (w/ 8000 miles on it) due to needing more leg room in back seat. I compared the trip odometer reading from home to work and the Avalon reading was off by 2 miles (less). That seems quite significant. That will affect the average MPG that I am seeing also. Other people have this same issue?
    I just completed a trip and my odometer showed 480 miles and my gps showed 492. I then went online to see the thoughts of others and found a lot of discussion back and forth on which one was right.

It had always been my thoughts that the gps was correct but after doing some reading I'm not so sure the odometer isn't more apt to be correct. I have checked the odometer against mile posts and it looks to be dead on.

Isn't the Avalon great for comfort, both front and back.
    I have read postings from other Avalon owners saying that the trip odometer is off. They tested it by getting on interstate and going past mile markers etc. I test drove other cars w/ lots of leg room in backseat like the Buick Lacrosse but when I drove the Avalon, that was it. I said, Sign and Drive. I was a Hyundai lover, and still am but they didn't have a car that has this much leg room in back seat.
    edited July 2012
    I've been telling others in this blog that my tripometer is off by two miles. In all honestly I'm not sure what is off. What I do know, if my car says I'm getting 29.9 MPG then WITH MY FIGURES, I come out to about 2 mpg less about 27.9 It does vary from station to station but that seems to be about right.

So when I write down my MPG and I do every fill up. I write down the MPG my car computer says then I write down my MPG figured on a calculator. I've always kept records like this on all my cars/trucks.

Most people in her say that my figures is off, NOT the computer on the car. I'm sticking to my guns and say the car calculations on the car is off.

Again it varies on how much, usually about 2 mpg. Hope this helps!

I sat in the back seat of my Avalon for the first time. I mean I have sat back there but I never rode in it till now. I am really surprised on how roomy the back seat is. It's remarable on the amount of room. NOW, I know what others have been telling me is true. Wow! I just fell in love all over again. I have 19,000 on my LTD Avalon.
    The Avalon has had odometer error since the redesign in 05. My 06 was off and we all (here on the forum) had just about the same error (3-4% low).

You did good buying a 2011 with such low miles. Was the car a demo? I'm curious on how much you paid. I only ask because it will give me some idea on what my car is worth these days.

I can't compare the 2011 Avalon with any other year Avalon because it's the first one I ever owned. I have owned a lot of high end cars though and this is one of the best. The MPG, the roomy interior, the power, it's just unbelievable workmanship.

I really have no complaints. I've only had one problem. The steering column has some sort of poping. The dealer in SC said they would fix it, IF I could point out the problem. It's a problem that only happens sometimes. So it's hard to pin point.

Good luck with your new Avalon and welcome to this blog. :surprise:
    The steering column has some sort of poping

A 2011 is doing this? I thought this was limited to the 05s and 06s. Toyota replaced mine no questions asked when I brought to the service manager's attention.

It was a fairly common problem with the Avalon.

Also here is a note for all you 2011/2012 Avalon owners. If you are considering selling/trading in your cars do it now. National rental car just made a HUGE purchase of the last 2012 Avalon Limiteds for use in their fleet. In a year or so when they hit the market, the used car values for the Avalon will drop.

Avalons at National

I would guess this will depend on how many they purchased and where in the country you live.

Yes National has a place in damn near every state, but where it being the larger airports, cities away from the airports shouldn't be hurt by this.

National will likely sell them piece meal, so that should mean, fewer hit the market all at once.

National likely has auctions where and when they sell cars, which means, some larger dealer gets a bunch, and well, if said dealer is in Texas, then folks in Vermont don't have to worry to much.

Now the good news is, that many more folks will get to drive an Avalon and that should be good for Toyota.

I want to know why they are only renting until August, or is it that they will be the only ones to have Avalons until then?

Skip
    A poster in another thread here on Edmunds, said he read 5000 units. That is alot!

I took the August 2012 as the "exclusive" time frame. In others words if some other rental company wants to buy Avalons to rent them, they will be able to.

I don't know if you were referring to the used 2011 Avalon I bought with a bit over 8000 miles on it or not but the one and only owner was the Porsche Dealership in Greenville SC. I guess they used it for a loaner car for people getting service. I was initially looking at a new 2011 but my husband suggested looking at what they had used. They had 2 used. Mine and another 2011 with 12000 miles (another dealer owned one). They were selling them for the same price, $28,991. I noticed they dropped the price of the other one 2 weeks after I got mine. Made me mad but it is what it is.
    I am thoroughly enjoying it. Beautiful roomy car.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    They'll drop anyway, as the 2013 will be new, and kill the value of the old one, so to speak.
    That seems to happen all the time. You buy something, only to find it cheaper later on. I can't tell you why that happens but it does. As we all know, cars in general lose value. At least your happy with your new purchase.

Steering column problem:
    For some time I have complained about a poping noise coming from my steering column. I took it to the same dealer several times. The dealership said they couldn't find the problem. In fact they never admited there was a problem. The dealship was nice enough to say they would fix it *IF* I could tell them what was the problem.

So as months went by the noise got worse. At first it was ONLY me who notice the steering column noise and the clicking sound it made. Finally my wife noiticed it but when we took it to the dealship we never was able to dublicate the problem. FINALLY the noise got so bad the dealship did notice it, and after 3 days at the dealership they replaced the whole steering column. No noise these days. Plus the steering column seems tighter too.

I guess my only complaint was I didn't get a loaner. I'm happy though. So if you suspect or hear a noise coming from your steering column then I would stay on top of it till it's fixed. The noise is only slight at first and only happens when you turn the steering wheel a certain way. The actual problem is the column itself. It's loose.
    My biggest problem the noise came and went. I hear the 06' had a problem like this. Any feedback that will help others should be posted.

20 Thousand mile check up:
    Oh another note, I got a letter saying I need a 20 thousand mile check up. What's that all about? Anything I should be concerned with? Someone stated earlier the dealship will want to change the cabin air filter with the check up. Any feedback on this?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    At 20,000 miles, the cabin air filter probably is ready for a change. You can, however, do it yourself cheaply and easily. Buy one at your local retail, chain store parts house, or wherever, and take the panel out of the back of the glove box, and replace it. The manual will show you how. It's easy. Or let the dealer do it for $75
    Thanks, I know Dealers have to make money but I like to save money. A cabin filter is something I can change. A timing belt is something I would want them to change. I know it won't need a timing belt at 20 thousand miles. That was just an example. Again Many thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et0XtDHodQM

A couple of small things on the 2011 bother me and I see they're fixed. Could be interesting.
    I watched the youtube video. I am very impressed by the few extra safty features. I'm not so sure about the front grill. For me, that will take some time to get use to. I guess it's a face only a mommy can love. :blush:

I wish they compared REAR seating room. I also wish they had the specs on the MPG, torgue, and horsepower. I'm afraid they are not telling enough about this new Avalon to make me RUSH out and buy one.

I understand they are trying to appeal to the younger people. I respect that but Toyota should be very careful not to lose loyal buyers. A fastback is a bold move for an Avalon. All of this is just my opinion. If the rear seat is smaller, then I certainly would never buy one. EVERYONE loves the leg room in my rear seat of the 2011 Avalon. Again just my opinion. Here in Evans Ga. they should have one very soon. I will take a look. :D
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    I visited with my Toyota Dealer today and met with the owner of the dealership. He told me one car will be delivered to the dealerships in Oct. Then he told me something I haven't read anywhere. He went on line and was surprised that he couldn't find it anywhere as well. Well unless he has been lied to, the Avalon as you all know will be available in a hybrid version, but guess what, a RWD (rear wheel drive and an AWD (all wheel drive) for more money will also be available, no more front wheel drive. I said it couldn't be possible that it hasn't been listed on the internet or anywhere at this point, but he assured me its true. If so, they have me definitely as a buyer, even though I'm not in love with the grill. Just thought I would pass this information on.
    Just curious, why would RWD or AWD make you a buyer?
    I'm responding to your message yet I wanted to answer the person below you. AWD, or RWD is MUCH better than front wheel drive. It changes everything, especially on handling. Wear and tear of the tires, so much will change.

For example, go about 80 MPH and try to turn sharp, not real sharp but sharp. You'll feel your 2011, or 2012 Avalon car sway. Almost with the feeling of flipping. Now with RWD, the car will handle soooooooo much better. Of course I can tell you how much better but I know it will handle better. A noticeable difference. Plus safer. With that said I have heard NOTHING of a RWD Avalon, or an AWD. Only in this blog.

Usually a RWD cuts down on MPG. Front wheel drive cars get better gas mileage but it's a lot of weight on that front end. Oh that's another thing. besides the handling, the weight of the car is distributed MUCH better. I'm guessing this is why the handling of the car is MUCH better.

I still don't like the grill but I would be interested in a RWD. That's for certain. I only hope the interior room will not be cut. Hope this helps and maybe some mechanic can weigh in on this conversation.

My Dad was a mechanic all his life. He swore by RWD cars. He's not around to explain why.
    I for one would also be a buyer of the AWD model if it happens.

My guess is, it's joke of sorts. I say this because he can't be the only dealer who's looked online for information and did or didn't see the it will come as a RWD and AWD model, and if others had seen it, they would be talking about É that' just my take on it.

YES, I hope it happens, but my guess is it won't:(

Skip
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    There are many who like RWD, but they do not handle snowy conditions as well. Several friends have RWD cars and "park" them for the winter months. Also, a lot of rear foot room is lost with RWD. I for one hope FWD continues in the 2013 Avalon. If not, I will buy a 2012 so as to have it.
    edited August 2012
    I personally think it's a joke of so sorts. Sales people have all kinds of ways to get people excited. Lying is one of them.

I would like a RWD Avalon but again I do not think it's going to happen. Why build a RWD, or AWD when you could just buy a more expensive Lexus. I think Lexus is RWD.

No, I suspect the FWD Avalon is here to stay. The only change I see in the future besides styling, is perhaps a hybrid. Other big luxury cars are now coming out with hybrids is why I say this.

I have 19,000 on my 2011. I'm happy with it. I finally got a good tech and found my steering column problem. It's now fix and I'm a VERY happy camper. My car is kept in my garage, and because I'm cripple I get the best parking places so I have no door dents that I know of. Yup, I'm happy with this big car.
    Well after spending the last 45 minutes at my local Toyota Dealer, and surfing the "Dealer Access" web site, we found NOTHING on RWD or AWD:(

He did say, that the model shown in NY was FWD, and they were told that nothing else would be available. He said his rep was in a few weeks ago, and that the hype is going MUCH better then they hoped and that they expect to sell a ton of new Avalons, and that he could expect to start seeing up-dates and more information the first part of September.

Oh, Nan48, they have already announced a Hybrid Avalon?

Skip
    Skip says: Oh, Nan48, they have already announced a Hybrid Avalon?

Skip, if this is a question then my answer is, I don't know. I only SUSPECT they will come out with a hybrid. I say this because Lincoln came out with one and I THINK other high end cars are coming out with them.

Thanks for you reply. I just wanted to see if your reason was close to mine and I see they are.

I know what you mean with the better handling of cars with FWD. I grew up in the hills and curves of AR and have slid around a number of curves and even used the RWD to pull our of some slides.

After leaving AR but going back for visits I would always find myself playing with someone who would see my out of state plates and start riding my bumper. I've had a number of them would try and keep up for a while but then decide that I might just be as good on the corners as they were. (I know some people never grow up)

Now with my Avalon I drive the corners like a little old lady. You have no feel at all when cornering to the point that I can't even tell where a slide would come from. I'm not sure the car wouldn't just overtun before it slid.

I also know when driving on straight highways at road speed I worry that I will need to make a quick evasive turn and if the car would hand it.

I also believe that RWD even rides better.
    Yes, gramz, we agree totally. I love the 60's & Early 70's cars, rear wheel drive cars. Positive transaction and extra things like this was nice.

Handling is so important. Today handling takes second place to MPG. With gas going for 3.65 a gallon and rising it's no wonder.

My Dad died in 2006 at 86. He was a mechanic all his life and always hated FWD cars. He was my step Dad and we wasn't close, so he really never explained why. It was more than handling. Working on them is hard, (I THINK).

I owned my 2011 Avalon for about six months before I realize how it handled. I was running late taking my wife to Biringham for treatments. So one trip, I really put the pedal to the medal and came on the ramp really fast. I was surprised to find the Avalon handled so bad coming on to the freeway. I said then to myself. This car definally needs RWD. I still love the car though. I just believe it would handle better.

I also agree with someone who said it would not be good for snow. No, FWD is better for snow.

Take care, Bill 19,500 miles on my 2011 Avalon, Over two years old, July 16,
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    I called corporate in CA to see if they would confirm what the owner I spoke with about the RWD and AWD. After investigating, he said right now there isn't anything in the literature about it. So either the dealer owner doesn't know what he's talking about, knows something from some where or is misguided. So until published, its a wait and see. As far as, is RWD better then FWD, all I can say back in the old days with my RWD cars, I was able to handle the stopping a car better in the snow, and I always felt more secure with RWD in case of a front tire blowing up traveling at 70. It's my feeling I would have better control if the front tire blew with RWD.
    JMHO.
    edited August 2012
    My wife asked me today how much the engine weights on the 2011 Avalon. I told her the car weight is 36 hundred pounds. I have no idea what the engine alone weights.

I looked it up on the internet only to find the curb weight is 36 hundred pounds. BUT THE GROSS weight is 4565 pounds. WOW! Does that mean the car weights that with a full tank of gas or what? Please explain!

My information came from this site:
    http://autos.aol.com/cars-Toyota-Avalon-2011/specs/

Just got back from Biringham AL. Car preformed flawless, getting 29 MPG average, driving with two people, and not much in the truck. Now that's hard to beat. With my calcuations I got 28 MPG.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Gross weight minus curb weight equals maximum allowable passenger weight plus any cargo that you are carrying. In your case approx. 965lbs.
    I got this from the internet, so I'm only 70% sure it's true. With that said, it looks like Avalon is coming out with a Hybrid, so here's the site to check out. I'm kind of confused with the specs. Perhaps someone can explain it to me like I'm a six year old. :confuse:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/28/2013-toyota-avalon-features-both- -gasoline-and-hybr/?page=all

Thanks for the input about the gross/curb weight. So I guess my car, loaded weights 45 hundred pounds. Amazing!

On RV's, campers they give dry weight. This basically means with out anything such as AC, Fridg, etc. So when buying a camper always go by gross weight, just my thoughts.

I had no ideal the Avalon was so heavy. Took another trip to Biringham AL, got 30.5 MPG and that's my figures. The computer said I got 31.7. I have to admit this might seem hard to be true but it's true. We LOG every fill up. Now I was driving the car like the old man I am. LOL!

20987 on my 2011 Avalon, Really a good car. Two thumbs up!
    I just turned 40,000 and I'm in need of new tires and have a couple of questions.

This is the lowest mileage I've ever had to replace Michelin tires, but this is my first Toyota. Does this mileage sound low to anyone else?

I've always used Michelin and have always been happy with the ride and road noise issues. Does anyone know of a tire that they think is as good or better and costs a little less?

Thanks