Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    I ordered mine in PA. Got the LTD without nav and with mats....35,200 out the door.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for the info.
  • bob819bob819 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my 2011 Avalon and when I got home I noticed there are no extensions on either sun visor. Brochure says sun visor extensions are standard on both trim lines.

Anyone else missing extensions on their sun visors?
    Just figured it out. When you move the visor to the window position, you can then pull the visor further towards the rear of the car along the visor arm - the visor doesn't extend - it moves. Incorrect description by Toyota IMO.
    My 2000 Avalan had inserts in the visor that pulled out and made the visor wider - a true defintion of extended visors.
    Oh well...at least I know it's not missing
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Yes by voice only. I have used it, It accepts, by voice, name and address valuses.

Love my new 2011 Ltd Avalon, Black with Black Bordeaux interior. (My little Limo :-)

That new Nav/audio system is a tremendous improvement over my 2006. Ltd

The tires are Bridgestone Turanzas and somewhat noisy on cement roads.

I do miss the "Laser Cruise Control" was nice after you get used to its quirks.

Getting about 20 Mpg combo and 28 Highway

New 6 speed tranny seems to shift smoother 2006 was a 5 speed and a little rougher shifting.

Yes, they fixed the MPG indicator so you can zero it at any time.

Got the windows tinted after purchase with the ceramic style instead of metallic type, The ceramic type don't look blue when the sun shines on them when looking from outside. Also appear a little darker than the metallic even thought they do test at the state required refraction. SC is 29 but the darkness appears to the eye as 30.

Seats feel about same as those in 2006.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Looking to take one for a test ride today. Sort-of hoping it's a lot nicer, smoother, quieter then my 2008 Touring Edition.

Sort-of, because I'm not sure I want to trade-in or sell my 2008 - only because I don't want to see something next year, that I REALLY want:)

Sort-of because I'm not sure if I want the new Avalon or a used LS 460 (if I can find one at a great price and low enough miles.

I've had the '08 for 15 months or and have 43,000 miles on it, so mileage wise it's getting to the point it may not have the value I'd like much longer.

Oh well, I'll do the test ride and then sort-of decide.

Skip
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    I have just taken delivery of an Avalon Limited...terrific car! No quibbles and/or complaints.

The Dealer says that it now comes with synthetic oil as a factory fill but I don't see anything in writing that says that...anyone know?
    RE; In my previous post regarding my recent purchase of an Avalon Ltd; I should have indicated it is a new 2011 model; Thanks!
    Hi Algee. I've seen new Avys with Turanzas & others with the Michelin MXV4. I talked to a guy in my tire dealership who said for the ride the MXV4 gets the nod. Commentators on the forums I visit have good & bad views on both brands. That's good to know about the window film, I didn't even know there were different types. Did you get that done at the dealer?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    If they are still using the Turanza EL 400 try and find one with the Michelins. I had those on my 06 and they wore out in 27K and got progressively noisier as they wore.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Heres some more info on the Avalon Ltd I just bought:

Backup camera is nice to have but cannot be used to judge close distance to a car behind you. You would need the backup sensors to do that. They give an audible alarm at about 3 ft and 1 ft distances.

I got the tint done after market for $270 vs dealer $399 price. Took about 2 hrs.

Sun shade operates a little different than the one on the 2006. The shade goes down when you go into reverse and only comes back up after you go forward at a speed of at least 7-10 mph.

2006 had engine noise like valves tapping at startup and a little quieter as time went on- 2011 is quiet at start.

Bluetooth phone system seems to work very well -connets without problems.

Love the USB audio input. I have an 8gb flash drive connected with mp3 and wma files and in different folders. All works - no problems. Ipod Touch also connects via blue tooth or usb or ear phone out put - again no problems

Be patient with nav voice input but it does work. Nav update is a little slower than the old one on the 2006.

Wish it had a 110 volt AC input but no it doesn't.
    Thats it for now LOVE THE CAR - So far
    So, can the shade be put up while you are driving, so as to keep the passengers more comfortable, or is it just for going in reverse - which I'll admit, seems silly, but it can't hurt to ask.

Skip
    The sun shade can be up all theime while going forward. It closes when backing up and then goes back up (unless you shut it off) when you start going forward again above a forward speed of about 7 mph
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited from a Toyota dealer in Houston TX who quoted me $1317 to purchase the Toyota Extra Care Platinum 7 years 75000 miles with $0 deductible warranty.. By sheer luck I noticed on these forums everyone was saying the place to buy it is at the Midwest Toyota dealership in Hutchinson Kansas. I confirmed with the Toyota corp people that it is honored by any Toyota dealer anywhere in the US and Canada as long as you buy it from any Toyota dealer. It is a Toyota warranty and not a 3rd party and you are not required to purchase it from your selling dealer. . I contacted Midwest Toyota and spoke with Jerry Johnson at 620-664-8844. He quoted me $654 for the same identical package that my dealer in Houston wanted $1310, What a savings .Jerry is very helpful and easy to work with. I purchased the package from him and it only took a few minutes on the phone. I have never purchased an extended warranty before but decided it would be wise due to all the high tech on the Avalon that would be very expensive to repair.
    The sunshade on my Genesis works exactly the same way. I don't use it that much, it doesn't seem
    to do much.

I'm reading about getting a purchase agreement and having a sales manager sign it before plunking down any money on the '11 Ltd I want to buy. The form has the car and the exact details listed on the form so that if something goes awry, this acts as a legal protective document. Have any of you buyers had a purchase, or buyer's, agreement completed before you bought? Thanks.
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    twinb,

That's an interesting question. I am assuming that the reason you are interested in such a document is that you are negotiating with an out-of-town dealer, because if it were a local dealer, then you must have some serious doubts about the dealer's trustworthiness and I'd say you'd be better off avoiding him altogether. Anyway, the closest I've come to that situation was in negotiating via email with a dealer in another city. Their internet sales guy sent me an "offering form" which cited the car's VIN number, all its options, and the sales price plus fees. As there were no signatures or security algorithms involved, I doubt that it would have held up in court if something went wrong. I ended up buying from a local dealer who did not have the exact car I wanted in inventory, so I agreed to his request for a $500 deposit. I thought that was reasonable, as he had to incur some costs in acquiring the car from a dealer in another city.

If you are working with a dealer in another state, I can understand your reluctance to pay significant money before actually seeing the car, but I wonder whether a formal sales/purchase agreement is economically practical. To be sure that the agreement was legally correct and enforceable in the dealer's state, you would need to have it reviewed by a qualified lawyer and that wouldn't be cheap (unless your brother-in-law is an attorney and owes you a favor).

Maybe you could describe your situation in more detail so that we could think about alternatives

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2010
    twinb wrote: I'm reading about getting a purchase agreement and having a sales manager sign it before plunking down any money on the '11 Ltd I want to buy. The form has the car and the exact details listed on the form so that if something goes awry, this acts as a legal protective document.

Twinb,
    That was such a curious question that it prompted me to go back and check the P&S on my last three automoblies purchases (different dealers and makes but all purchased in Massachusetts). The language on the motor vehicle purchase contract (P&S) is the same on all three. Therefore, it would make no sense to draw up a separate P&S that is different what state law allows.

Of interest to you is perhaps the clause that states that you must take delivery of the automobile (when made available to you) within 48 hours or the dealer, at his option, may retain your deposit in whole or in part to reimburse him for any loss caused by you.
    That's right Knott, I'm dealing with a dealer in another state. It's been strictly internet negotiations, & I've agreed to buy a Ltd. from him. It's Champion Toy in Texas, & there are three different locations for the company so I'm assuming they're not a fly-by-night outfit. I sent a $200 deposit without a written purchase agreement because he can get the exact car I'm loking for; in fact, it's coming from the distributorship next Wednesday. I agree it would not be economically practical to have a lawyer look at it, even if I had one in the family - probably would charge me anyway. hehe.

And as bwia said, the P&S seems to have me covered. BTW, thanks for mentioning the 48 hour clause, bwia, good to know. Today I rec'd. an email with the car's features/options including the VIN number.

So here's a new question: I'm flying into Houston to pick up the car. If it arrives as expected on Wednesday, would it take more than half a day or so to prep it and have a service guy drive it around to make sure everything's working OK? I could arrive next Friday & start the 2-day drive back to Denver. I'll ask the sales manager that question when I talk to him tomorrow, he's the one I've been dealing with, but I'm wondering about all of your experiences. How long between arrival at the dealership and drive-off?

Thanks, Joe.
    And folks are saving how much when purchasing out of state?

Airline ticket, 2 day trip back, fuel, time? I'm all for, and would purchase a car out of state - AFTER looking at the numbers and seeing just what I'd save.

My guess is, it wouldn't be enough to justify doing so. I could see a used car, where they are harder to find (when looking for a certain model), but new?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the adventure and driving part, hell I've been known to drive to NY to get lunch before (driving from Maine), but that was for lunch:)

I guess the real question is, just how far is worth it?

Skip
    It could be because I live in the northeast (NJ) with tons of dealers, but I have never even thought of buying out of state. I have always been able to either find a dealer who had what I wanted or the dealer found it for me. As for pricing, unless there is simply no competition I can't imagine any dealer not meeting a price from another (as long as its a real quote and not a "low ball" offer) within the cost of a plane ticket and travel expenses.

When I bought my 06 Avalon the "Blizzard Pearl/ dark grey leather XLS was a tough car to find. The dealer ended up getting one about 350 miles away at no extra charge. Fast forward to 09 and I wanted a burgundy/ivory Genesis with a specific option package (No 18" wheels) and again it was found for me about 300 miles away. With a good, persistant dealer it can be done.

The savings are $1500-$2300. The real issue for me is I didn't want to do a factory order then wait 2-3 months, which is what 10 of the 12 dealers I contacted told me; the other two wouldn't budge on price, and they told me I'd also have to pay for shipping to get a somewhat similar car from the far side of Kansas plus the shipping back to there with a car a local dealer would swap, IF the other dealer was willing to do so; total there was $750. The Ltd. without navigation is rare around here now with Toy pushing the $1500 nav package into all the new Ltd models. So it wasn't just the dollars, but the wait time for an order, or a near-msrp price for a car similar to what I wanted but not exact.

A one-way ticket costs $100-$150, gas/food/hotel room for one night stayover might be ~250. Total wouldn've been around $500, to be generous, so the savings alone would be around a thousand minimum, not considering the wait time to order a new one, etc. It's worth it to me. Thanks for your responses everyone.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    edited June 2010
    Here in Atlanta we have multiple dealers of every brand, I have never gone outside the metro area, 50 miles or less from home, to find a decent price on any car. But there are at least two friends in the neighborhood who always buy in TN. They say it's at least $500. less to buy anything, with even more savings on Toyota, Honda and Lexus, and the drive is under 1.5 hours one way to Chattanooga. Whatever, glad it works for you, get what you want, save money and enjoy the ride.... !!
    Yeah fin, it's times like this when I miss living back east, where a dozen of whatever you want are available from a couple of different places. Still, I found and bought exactly what I wanted at a good price. I'm a happy guy.
    So - has anyone owned both the Perforated seats and smooth leather seats, and what are your thoughts on comfort?

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the persons size and such, but my 2008's seats seem a bit hard. Maybe nice for short (sportier) rides, but on the long haul, my small [non-permissible content removed] is glad when I get out of the car and stretch my legs a bit.

5' 7" 155lbs.

The local dealers all have 2011's with the same style seats I currently have, so I'm not sure it's worth taken one for a test drive.

My goal would be to get a new Avalon if it in fact is a smoother ride, a quieter ride. I have purchased a few seat cushions and they help, but I'd like to think, that buying seat cushions was part of buying a new car.

I just came back from a short sales trip and paid more attention to what is so uncomfortable with the seats, and I can now say, it's the seams. They are hard and in the wrong place for my [non-permissible content removed].

Oh, well. I could go on and on, but I do need to get the work:(

Skip
  • boord1boord1 Member Posts: 17
    Kind of in the same mode as ncee, has anyone have experience with the driver seat "extension" on the LTD model? Does it make for extra comfort on long trips? Thanks
    Replying to message #278; I have a 2011 Limited; all great--no issues. I am about 6'1" and have tried the seat "extension"; I am more comfortable without it...F.Y.I.
    Thanks
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I did hear some negatives regarding using the seat extension on the Limited. I tried years back when the Limited first came out and wasn't crazy about it. Thanks for your honesty saying your more comfortable without extending them. I've heard that many times. I have the 2011 Avalon, and had other Avalons in the XLS model and the seams on the seat were never an issue. I find them quite comfortable on my drives from SC to NY. It's never been an issue. The most comfortable seats in a car I once owned, was in the 929 Mazda. They were special and softer.
    It's a choice one has to make.

I purchased my Cypress Pearl to my specifications, memory etc, at an excellent price and didn't have to go out of state. My dealer always had the ability to get the Avalon I wanted with only a couple of miles on the odometer.

I certainly didn't want the navigation package. For many dollars less my Garmin takes me where I need to go, and comes with me when I rent a car, or join a friend in his car.
    For 10 percent or less of what the nav cost built in, I can go cross country and reach my destination without a problem. I mount it on my windshield when needed, and find it so much easier to see without looking down towards the dashboard. :)
  • bmpbmpbmpbmp Member Posts: 8
    I've got a 16gb USB thumbdrive I've put 169 albums of MP3s on. Thought it was a great idea at the time, but in reality, not so good, as the only way to thru them is folder up or folder down.

In the manual, it talks about the hierarchy is 6 levels. I take that to mean up to five subfolders. Was wondering if anyone has discovered a way to move from subfolder to subfolder, then to 3rd level and back, etc.
    Ok, so I took a 2011 Avalon for a nice test drive yesterday First question:

1) Is there much difference between the standard model and the Limited, that would make it smoother, or quieter?

2) Are the seats that are perforated more comfortable?
    The dealership didn't have but the one unit so I coudn't drive both and make up my kine.

The one I drove, as nice as it was, was NOT enough quieter, or smoother to purchase over my 2008 Touring Edition. Yes it was a bit, but not enough. A big disappointment for me, as I have been looking forward to get a new Avalon for some time now.

Heck I might go as far as say it was a bit louder then mine.

I can say, I know why my seats suck! I mentioned it was the seams and after seating / driving the 2011 I can say, it is the seams in my car. The seats seem to be very much the same, except the seats in the 2011 seem sewn better then mine. The seams in my car, almost seem like the seam / bead is on the outside of the seat not the inside as is the case on the 2011. Basically, the seams on my car are much bigger and therefore - it's like seating on seams:(

I will, if I get a chance, try a Limited out, to see if there is any difference, and if not, start looking for a use LS 460 (good luck with this quest:)).

Skip
    If you find an LS460 that you like, make sure the steering issue recall has been done:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/lexus/category-home.aspx?ncid=12051

What a different mindset now in buying a Toy; in the past you'd shop for one and buy it because of the reliability reputation, now you check to see if a recall problem has been corrected.
    Bottom line here, is we / I'm spoiled:)

Skip
  • bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    I personally find the seat comfort to be pretty equivalent between the models in most normal situation. If it is hot, and even in WI that covers 4+ months per year, then the cooled setting on the perforated works very well after taking about 7 minutes to effectively cool the seat. I love it. Also, I've used the seat extender on long road trips and it really is a bit more comfortable. I didn't buy the Limited for seats but the two main differences (coolers & extender for driver) are nifty.

I don't think there is any difference between the base and Limited in terms of smoothness or quiet. Same tires, same structure, same suspension and they appear to have gotten rid of the noise-reducing windshield. There aren't going to be many cars out there more quiet and refined than your '08.
  • bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    I could see that the extended seats might not be for everyone. For me, the regular seat is just a bit small for me to feel totally relaxed and on a longer trip, it eases the strain on my legs. For a skinnier or shorter person, I think it might be less comfortable to extend the seat.
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited andIi am confused on all the discussion on seat extension. I have no idea what you all are talking about. Am I missing a secret lever somewhere. Please help me understand what you are talking about.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    The Limited comes with a seat (driver only) that can extend about 2 inches (1 and a half inches) if you push the lever to extend it. Your Avalon doesn't have that feature. Hope this answers your question. :)
  • jwillinjwillin Member Posts: 16
    I just took delivery on a 2011 Avalon LTD after trading in my 2009. I was upside down in the payments, but they took it as a trade-in. I have two questions:

1. On my previous 2009 Avalon, when you walked up to the car with the key, there were like soft lights that would come on before you entered the the car. I'm not sure the 2011 has the same feature although this a light under the side mirrors. I haven't been able to find the settings to turn on the lights if that is the case.

2. When operating the Nav System. The map shows the correct region, but when going to the Data Map page it shows locations in Washington state. Then when wanting to input my home address, the address button is greyed out and it is greyed out on any destination that I want to input an address in. I am unable to use the Nav because I can't input an address because the button is greyed out.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon LTD. It is a fantastic car. It drives like a dream. I mean you can barely feel a bump in the road. It is one great driving car. You will love to drive it. Not much of a change to the 2009. The salesman told me about all the curves and tiers of the interior and the beauty of the exterior, but that may be a man curve. I almost thought he was describing a curvy stacked woman!

The CONS?
    1. The wood grain appears to be cheap plastic, it takes away from the beauty of the car. I have a black Avalon with the black bordeaux leather. Beautiful! However, the plastic just takes away from the interior.

2. The GPS display is disposed. I liked the fact that in my 2009, I could cover the display. Now, you have it exposed and you can see every fingerprint, dust etc on that display. The touch screen is not that respondent, but adequate.

3. Don't like CD and NAV location. Behind a door with hinges? If you get the NAV you get 4 CDS instead of 6 without the NAV. Also, with the NAV comes a map DVD, like a Mapsco.

4. Manual is horrible for assisting on any problems or settings you may have with the car.

PROs

1. Have usb/aux port inside console.

2. Blue tooth is nice. Once connected you have the option of transferring all your contacts over to the car.

3. Nice exterior.

4. Great drive, very smooth and comfortable.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter for a major magazine is looking for consumers who recently purchased a new car and to talk about their bargaining experience. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by June 14.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited June 2010
    Wood grain in the Lexus is so perfectly done/finished/flawless that it looks plastic.

You have to wait about 10+ years and it begins to show cracks.
    How accurate (or inaccurate) is the trip computer on a 2011 Avalon?

Specifically the Average MPG and the Range (i.e miles to empty). Mine seems too low. In fact when I filled up the first time it said like 6 miles for Range, and I could only get 16 gallons in (meaning there was still 2.5 gallons left. I reset the Average MPG and now after a few weeks it reads 24.2 for about 360 miles, but the Range remaining is only 11 miles. If I have averaged 24.2 miles MPG, seems like I should be able to get to about 440 miles before the Range shows 11 miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This subject has been discussed many times.... the problem is that any DTE (distance to empty) computer is absurd by concept. Think about it. To tell you how far you can travel on the remaining fuel in the tank requires the knowledge of upcoming road conditions, future average speed, etc. There is no way this can happen. DTE, to me, has always worthless. The average mpg is generally close, my experience, but read the next paragraph carefully if you use pen and paper or a calculator.

In most prior year Avalons, 2005 up, the odometer reads about 3% low. The speed is accurate, somehow, but the miles are off. To check yours: Get on the local interstate and check the miles traveled shown as you pass the mile markers on the highway. If the 2011 is like most others you will see a big difference within 5 miles. The mile markers will begin to pass before the odometer registers the miles. Mine is off and many other members here have found the same thing.

Hope this helps, enjoy the Avy, great cars. I am on my third one.... :)
  • whosea1whosea1 Member Posts: 3
    We recently purchased a 2011 Avalon. Love the car but totally disgusted with the navigation system. Routinely takes the long way around to reach the destination. For example, a trip to the airport close to our home that takes 45 minutes to an hour was estimated by Avalon’s navigation to be 1 hr and 52 mins. Most annoying feature is that navigation is disabled while car is in motion forcing the driver to pull over to make any changes. This can be very disruptive if I’m in a hurry, while driving on the highway or unsafe if driving late at night. It doesn’t take into account that a passenger can reprogram the system while the car is in motion. Is there any way to override this feature?
    Have you gone into Navi setup and allowed it to use all the fastest methods?
  • whosea1whosea1 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I have it setup to do the quick route. I compared the exact same destination to the mobile Garmin that we used prior to purchasing the Avalon. Sometimes they calculate the same route and time but overall the Garmin is consistently more accurate.
    My 2011 Avalon's dashboard reflects in the windshield when there is strong sunlight so much it is annoying me a lot. Anyone else with this problem. Anyone know how to dull the dash's surface or other fix?
    This happened to me on my 2008 Avalon, and all I did was cleaned the dashboard with lestoil. It didn't have the shine, and it didn't glare in the windshield anymore:)

Most dealers use Amor-all or some other similar leather protectant which looks nice, until the sun glare gets you.

Skip
    tnx will give it a try
    The brochure for my 2011 Avalon Limited says the puddle lamps on the mirrors illuminate when you are near the car with the Smart Key (interior also).

Mine don't..what am I doing incorrectly? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!
    edited June 2010
    Mine do not work. I think the feature has been turned off from the factory. You will have to personalize this option thru the dealership. I was at the dealership for another issue and was told in order to change your options they have to connect a laptop to your car and make the changes. We can't do them on our own. On page 530 of the owner's manual are the options you change and the puddle lamps are there also. The default shows off and the personalization shows on or vice-versa. So, I'm thinking it has to be changed by the dealership.