Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• oldman925oldman925 Member Posts: 22
    I spoke with the salesman that i bought my car from asking about bumper to bumper and the toyota warranty .

His reply was the warranty from toyota paid for hotel and towing if the distance was far enough from home . think he said 125 miles .

He does not sell the warranty and i did not ask the price but his answer was that the Co warranty contained much more then the bumper to bumper did .

Hope some one answers on these points . Also think any location would make any difference. East coast West Coast.

Will call this week and try and find out price here and what is covered.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Let's try a simple explanation of this warranty thing. What you folks are posting is giving me a headache. The warranty being sold by "Jerry"(a sales person at a midwest Toyota dealer) is the same Toyota Warranty being offered by other Toyota dealers. "Jerry", and a few others, just sell them cheaper than most local dealers. They apparently work on volume, which allows a cheaper price, just like vehicle sales.

The Toyota Platinum Plan Warrantry is the best coverage that you can get for a Toyota vehicle. However, there are certain wear items that are not specifically covered (belts, bulbs, wiper blades, etc.). So there is no true "bumper to bumper" warranty being offered by Toyota, or anyone else.

What nan48, and others, have is a Toyota Warranty bought from a Toyota dealership. You pay various amounts for various mileage and years of coverage.

Go to your dealer, get a copy of the Toyota Extra Care Platinum Warranty booklet from the financial folks, read it to understand what is covered under the various options, and then find the best price for the version you want thru the internet, it's really pretty simple! I saved about $900 from my local dealer's price by doing this.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I NEVER buy the extended warranty from the selling dealer. I go across the "street", same marque, and buy the warranty as a "walk in".
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    Well put Pops. Let it be noted I never implied or said it was "bumper to bumper". Again well put.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My experience has made me conclude that; A) an extended warranty on a Toyota is rarely needed at all, and yes, the dealers make bank on these warranties. B) The dealer's warranty is always better than a 3rd party, mostly because the Company (Toyota in this case) will be around if you need to make a claim. So many of the after market warranties and sold, and then the company disappears leaving you with no coverage. If I were to buy another one, and I wouldn't on my Toyota or Lexus, I'd only get the Toyota warranty. Just my opinion.
    The Warranty Jerry sells is a Toyota warranty. I'll double check to make sure my facts are but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    Nan48, I think it would be a lot less confusing for folks on this thread if you stopped referring to the "warranty that Jerry sells". As I posted earlier, it is a Toyota Warranty sold by a midwest Toyota dealer, "Jerry" is simply a contact person employed at that dealership.

If you have the warranty paperwork (including the actual warranty booklet) in hand, as I do, I don't understand why there would be any doubt as to what you have. It plainly states that you have purchased a "Toyota Extra Care" vehicle service agreement, factory backed by a nationwide network of Toyota dealers.
    edited February 2011
    Well pop, I am a man of my word. When I give it, write it down then it's worth gold. People who know me, know that when I say something, they can take it to the bank. My word is everything to me. I was 99% sure it was a Toyota warranty. But the 1% of not being sure made me say "I think" or say "Jerry's warranty". Unlike most people who would say anything to prove a point. I'm not that way. :^) I say this with all due respect. I am now 100% sure it is a Toyota warranty, NOT a third party warranty and you're right. The warranty is simply sold by Jerry who works for Toyota. I hope this helps people who are looking into buying an extended warranty. Warm Regards, Bill
    'Nuff said, take care.

Pop
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Agreed... Most car research suggests that the extended warranty after the B2B new car factory warranty runs out is waste of money if you have a reliable brand to start with. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and luxury lines of the three are all generally dependable.

Now, if you worry a lot or if you don't drive much and keep a car for 5 or more years.. then maybe so, electronics can be very expensive. My experience with several Hondas and Toyotas has been excellent, the extended warranty would have been a waste of money but the cars were traded at 4 years or less.
    I agree totally. I bought my warranty for piece of mind on the electronics and for resell value. I hope I never need it. I know the warranty will help on the resell. It's worth it to me. We don't drive much at all. But when I do, I love driving the Avalon. A really nice ride. Plenty of power, and plenty of room. Mom loves the back seat. Only thing I would change would be front wheel drive. I guess then they would call it a Lexus. :)
    Recent fill up shows 24.6 MPG,,,,,,,,country, city driving.....no grid lock around here. :^)
    The only gridlock here is the 4-5" of snow today. My Avalon is parked in the garage, and I doubt that I will test it's abilities in the snow. After all, how much experience in the snow do you need in N. Mississippi?
    I agree pop, NO WAY would I take my Avalon out in the snow.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Two weeks after I got my '08 Limited, I had to drive over the Cascades to Seattle and back - twice. The car was GREAT in the snow. Due to DOT requirements, however, I had to chain up in certain areas of the pass and the chains really scarred the nice wheels.
    I know that made you sick. It would me.
    I know that made you sick. It would me.

Yes, it would. Kind of like backing mine through the garage door made me sick..... :sick:
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    The wiper blades on my 2011, almost from the gitgo, have skated across the windshield making a horrible noise until a hard rain and then they usually worked OK. Since we are about to leave for Florida I thought I'd replace them even though are only 7 months old. They must have had faulty rubber in them. I had a letter from Toyota reminding me of the 15000 mile service about due, and on the letter was a coupon for 8 dollar blades. I took the coupon into the dealer and he said "we can't honor the coupon, the blades on the Avalon are 25 and 20 for the two, 45 bucks. I complained and they relented and offered a 10% discount on the 45 bucks. I said this was unacceptable, and I wanted them for 8 dollars as per the letter. The parts people finally went to someone higher up and they put put it through as warranty at no cost to me. Just thought I'd warn you folks. (maybe they've been this high in the past, my last Av was a 2000)
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2011
    I had the same problem with my blades...they never worked well from the get-go, so I complained and they replaced them under warranty. They look fancy enough (being higher-end 'beam' blades, which, BTW, are usually priced higher); however, obviously poor rubber. The service mgr said something about them having two types of blades available...one made in USA and the others coming from Japan. They gave me the Japanese blades and I've not had a problem since. Have heard of a similar problem on replacement blades for the FJC, with posters on another forum recommending you request the Japanese part number.
    My blades do the same thing. I just figured they were new. Changing blades at the dealer. Your pockets must be full of money. :^)
    Didn't cost me a penny.......but I do have about .37 in my pocket most of the time, just in case! :P

Also, I was surprised to find how cheap the OE Japanese blades were for my FJC at the dealer. Only about 6 bucks apiece with their quarterly 'wiper blade' coupon...worth it for no more chatter city.

Never did ask the dealer what it would have cost me if I had to pay..and the slip just says 'warranty' with no price. I think I'll try my old standby, wipers123.com, when the time comes for replacement. They run specials all the time and they have lots of options running from cheap to luxury...at least luxury for wiper blades... :shades:
    I didn't get any coupons like that. What I did get was a coupon for a free pin strip. It's a nice touch.

My wiper really bothers me on slow speed. I figure it's because they are new. Now at least I know what to ask for.
    Does the seat belt reminder bell annoy you folks as much as it does me? I asked the dealer to disable it, and he said he couldn't. by law.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    It only annoys me, until I plug it in, and then it stops:)

It also stops after about 60 seconds if you choose not to use it, at least it does on my 2008.

What annoys me more, is when the passengers don't hear, notice or wonder what the bell is ringing for, until they realize they need to buckle-up.

Skip
    I wouldn't do that either - except that would mean, not driving it for 4+- months here in Maine:)

Skip
  • jaws11jaws11 Member Posts: 3
    I did it Go to "How to disable a seatbelt alarm on a Toyota" on goggle
    It works just follow the instrucitons don't belive there is any law that
    requires an alarm, dealer is taking the easy and safetest way out to protect the dealership..............
    Well, it certainly annoys me a lot. The warning will go off but by that time it's ringing in my head. I can understand a dealer not disconnecting it. I'm don't think I would either. It is a safety feature and it works. Annoying YES!

I reset my computer like someone said. Seems to work much better. The computer that tells you what MPG you're getting. I'm getting close to 4000 miles on my Avalon. My first oil change is coming due soon.

Living in GA we have yearly taxes on our cars/trucks. I just got mine and it was 400 dollars for this Avalon. OUCH! I mean that's high, VERY!
    Is that a "road priviledge tax and tag registration" like in Mississippi ? This means that car tags are high, but by design, it taxes the only real property that some folks own.

Without this tax structure, homeowner's property taxes would be much higher.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank you. Should have thought about Google. I've been trying to find the right wire to disconnect, it was easy on my 2005 Avalon, but couldn't find the right one on my 2011. . . too many wires under there.

Problem solved and thanks again.
    Yearly taxes on top of registration?

I paid over $800.00 the first year I got my Avalon, $710.00 the next year and $540.00 the next. The lowest it will go is about $120.00 per year, once the car is 8 years old.
    edited February 2011
    Without this tax structure, homeowner's property taxes would be much higher.

Sorry I totally disagree with that statement. Tennessee has no car tax and their property tax is also lower per millage rate than GA.

Florida has no car tax and like Tennessee has no income tax. Florida property taxes is much higher than GA.'s

Ga. car taxes seem high. Then I read a post where a person is paying almost double. My taxes should go down every year.

I'm am formerly from TN. great place to live with LOW taxes.

Hope this helps. ANY one with tax information on their car please share.
    We paid over $600 VLT for our Limited here in AZ. It goes down every year with the value of the vehicle; however, we are skewed here in AZ as the Native Americans, a large part of our population, don't pay any VLT at all on their vehicles, thus the rest of those paying have to make it up by paying more. The argument is they have dirt roads on the Res (and there is a faction that says it is a right since 'we' took their land...don't want to get into that issue at all....); however, they use all the same roads (highways, etc.) that everyone else does but do not have to pay for the maintenance at all through the VLT. Just a pet peeve of mine.... :mad:
    I, too, am formerly from TN. TN has a lower property tax rate, but one of the highest sales tax rates in the U.S. Most cities, or counties, also collect a yearly "privilege" fee (sticker) for vehicles. GA has a much lower sales tax so they add in a car tax.

The states are going to get their money one way or another, just saying.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "Memphis" is moving into Mississippi.
    I understand US giving tax breaks to certain people. I understand the reasoning behind such actions. I simply disagree. We can't totally undue our wrongs in the past. Theirs no way we can. We are ALL Americans, and we are a YOUNG nation and making the same mistakes Rome made. Where does tax breaks, free college, freebies stop in life? Congressman are over paid, drug companies lobbying for their drugs, big insurance don't want to give insurance to pre-existing conditions, all these companies have lobbiest in Washington to get their agenda across. It's time to put our foot down and take our nation back.

I know my taxes here in GA. are cheaper than most states. I know TN sales tax is higher than GA's. Sometimes I think the flat rate tax is the way to go.

Frankly, I think the nation needs to step back and completely restructure everything. Just my thoughts.

You want to pay the national dept off. It's a easy fix. Put Americans to work. STOP Nafta. If our factories come back, welfare slows down, taxes are made off people working, and companies producing, etc. Ross Parole said this would happen and he was right. We are a nation that makes nothing and consumes everything. Someday it will come crashing down. Perhaps sooner than later. Now these are just my thoughts.
    Living in GA we have yearly taxes on our cars/trucks. I just got mine and it was 400 dollars for this Avalon. OUCH! I mean that's high, VERY!

You wouldn't like Nevada then, it's about $2,000 to register a new Lexus.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Nafta is a great success we need to trade with our# 1 partner Canada.2Bankers are overpaid and so are oil company officials If you run an agency that has 500 people you should executivesbe paid at the same rate as industrial The real problem in this country is the stupidity of the American people. They don't know any economic and run on 19th century ideas Conservatives from the South are the problem
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    We had the same problem and the dealer refused to change saying it was too expensive and try to live with it The kic was right on trying to save us dsome money but 45 windshield wiper blades is rediculous
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Yes, I love my Avalon, glad you asked.
    Our problem ***IS*** Nafta....everything we buy is made over seas. Soon China is going to import cars. In the late 70 and late 80's Japan was over running our country with cheap imports. We STOPPED that buy taxing the cars coming in. In return Japan starting building factories here. PUTTING Americans to work. China will NEVER do this. IF we stop imports and we won't. Then we put American's to work. Our MOTO should be , "if you want to sell it here, then build it here". Just think of the tax dollars coming from that idea.

The conservative South is the problem. Give me a break!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited February 2011
    Give me a break!

We're going to give everyone a break by ending this line of conversation. There are discussions on the Auto News board here that might be appropriate, but the 2011 Avalon discussion isn't one of them. (not directed toward any individual, but any who would enter this line of conversation)

Another hot tip: when remarking on the alleged stupidity of others, it's a good idea to avoid making multiple simple writing errors that lend a sadly ironic nature to one's comment. Now THAT'S info you can use anywhere.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

right on, kirstie_h! :shades:
    Re my message on the 45$ wiper blades. The replacements didn't correct the problem. First rain, and they skipped accross the windshield, just like before. The dealer finally replaced the arm and that corrected the problem. Just a heads-up for others with similar problems.
    Good to know your experience with this. Thnx!

In my case, the replacement blades took care of the problem; however, I would have started there no matter what.

I assume it was under warranty. Did they reimburse you for the blades, since they were not the problem?
  • earnest37earnest37 Member Posts: 8
    I stopped using Armorall years ago when I found out that alcohol was one of the main ingredients. All of those severly cracked old dashs you see are almost certainly the result of using Armorall. I now use a Turtle Wax product called F21 Super Protectant which has no alcohol and will not pull the petro chemicals out of vinyl. The "old" name of this product was Formula 2001 which I could not find recently and was told the F21 was the same product under a different name. Probably a trademark situation but I won't let anyone near any of my vehicles with Armorall.
  • cathyouelcathyouel Member Posts: 4
    Hello Fellow Avalon Owners,

I am writing to you to ask for a small –but very important--favor.

We all have something in common: We all looked at various cars and decided that the Toyota Avalon was the car we wanted only to find out (too late) after buying it that the front seats were soooo uncomfortable during long rides (especially driver’s side!). Many of us (my husband and myself included) did not notice the lack of adequate padding during our test drives, as the lack of padding does not show up until you have driven the car for at least 45 minutes or more.

Now we feel stuck, with no where to turn. We’re frustrated, as we’ve spent our hard earned dollars on this car, only to be sorely disappointed by the seats.

So today, my husband called Toyota and registered the seat complaint, establishing a formal case number with Toyota. The Toyota phone rep stated that new cases are reviewed on a monthly basis. If there are “sufficient numbers” of similar complaints on a common problem, Toyota will then create a Special Service Campaign to rectify the problem.

This is where I need a small favor. If you have not yet contacted Toyota and gotten a formal case number for your Avalon seat issue, I am asking that you do so ASAP. It only takes a few minutes. The more us that report this problem, and do it quickly, the better! If Toyota sees several of these complaints all happening at once, we have a much better shot at getting our beautiful cars fixed so that we can enjoy them the way we thought we would!!! There’s obviously no guarantee, but if we do nothing, then Toyota will never know they have problem. Can you help???

I have included the Toyota contact info below from their web site. When you call, they will likely ask you for your vehicle identification number (VIN), which is the quickest way for them to identify you and your Avalon. If you don’t have this, they can still identify you and your car, it will just take a bit longer.

Customer Experience Center

Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Or send correspondence to:
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501
    edited March 2011
    I will have to let other owners weigh in on this. I just took a 7 hour trip. That's 14 solid hours of driving (both ways). Of course I did have a 7 day rest before driving back. I did NOT feel that the seats was uncomfortable in any way form or fashion. I did all the driving both ways. In fact, the ride was very nice and relaxing. Other owners might feel different. I know of one former post where a person did complain about the padding in the seats.

If I man ask. How heavy are you? Your height? I am 5'10" and 225 LBS. So I'm heavy for my frame. I hope this helps.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    At just over 5'-10" and 190 pounds I do not find the seats in my '07 Limited at all uncomfortable, even after a 6 hour drive to the beach. True, they are not as comfortable as the seats in the '03 Avalon we had for four years...but.. they work OK for the wife at 120 lbs. and me.

Really, I would like more thigh support, the seat bottom is too short even with the extended front edge at the limit. Maybe try an auto parts store for a cushion of some type and see if it helps.....
    I wish I could say the same.

At 5' 7" 165 lbs', I find the seams hit all the wrong spots on my legs, and back, as is the same for my wife (5' 5" 110 lbs)

I have since purchased some nice simply seat cushions, which help a lot.

Next time - before I purchase a new / used car, I'll rent one for the day, if available and get a better feel for the car.

Skip.

PS The only good thing about the seats, is I'm asked to stop more so folks can get out and stretch their legs. I'm one to drive until it's been on "E" for 75-100 miles, fill-up, and hit the road again. No eating (I keep the car stocked:)), no pi stops, strong bladder (nothing to go from Maine to Florida with MAYBE one, 2 pi stops.
    In all fairness, this is my second Avalon and I didn't own the first one long enough to know how the seats where. My wife does complain about the head rest in the new Avalon. For me it's nice support. I know this has no bearing on the cushion. Hopefully other owners will post something about how they feel about the seats in the 2011 Avalon.