Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2010
    What's going on here? First the recalls on cars, then the drive shaft on Tacoma trucks, now the steering on Corollas. I don't know what to make of all this. Has Toy's quality slipped so badly, along with their attitude toward customer complaints, that now they have to run around like chickens without heads trying to put out fires? From what Toyoda's been saying in his speeches, that's exactly what's happened. His response, besides bowing from the waste and apologizing? Form a quality committee. He should be an American politician. Where was he when all this was going on for the past, at least, 5 years.

Well, I know these issues are real, and customers have been complaining for a long time, but that happens in all businesses. What bothers me is the dealers' responses to their customers. I went thru a similar experience with run flat tires on our Sienna, and had the service 'advisor' tell me and my wife some gobbeldygook that wasn't true and made no sense. This was before the lawsuits started piling up and Toy finally agreed to include the tires on the regular warranty and replace them. (I know they don't make the tires, but they decided to use the run flats on the AWD van after they redesigned it and took away the space for the spare.)

Normally I'd just sit back and watch the circus with the politicians on TV going on and on about Toyota vehicles. But after months of researching new cars I'd decided to buy a '10 Avalon XLS. Shortly afterward the recalls began, and I've since cancelled the order. So what to do now? Buy one of the cars I crossed off my list and feel like I have a make-do car, or put an order in for an '11 Avalon and hope for the best, sitting on the edge of my seat with my fingers crossed everytime I drive it? That's a rhetorical question, I know none of you can answer it. And even though Toyoda has bowed and apologized, and Lentz and the suits have said with straight faces their customers are most important to them, that doesn't undo what's been done. I'm gettin' too old for this crap. What a mess.
    edited February 2010
    From Toyota Canada comes news that only the 'XLS' model will be released there, which in the US is the Limited, and there will be only one new color - Crimson Red - rather than three like in the States. Oh, and the car will be in showrooms in March. Can't tell the players without a scorecard folks.

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/toyota/toyota-reveals-redesigned-2011-153672.as- - px
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I'm with you.

I have ordered a 2011 Avalon, but I have also told the dealer, it's not a done deal. I told them, I'd drive it first, and then decide. I also told them, that if these issues keep coming up, I might just pass on the car.

I must admit, I haven't been following it close enough to know, but what percentage of these cars, are being assembled in the USA?

I'd sure hate to think it's our own fault for these cars? YES, this would be good news for the American Auto Industry, but these are the same folks (American's) putting these cars together?

God, I hope nobody named "Ford, GMC, Chevy (Chevy Chase)," is employed here, it would look like a bit questionable if so:)

***So which car(s) will folks around here look at, if they don't purchase a Toyota?

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I haven't been following it close enough to know, but what percentage of these cars, are being assembled in the USA?

All of the them. The problem pedal assemblies used in the USA plants were made by a company based out of Indiana with that specific part being produced in Canada.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The problem here is based on the Japanese culture of NEVER admitting mistakes. Secretly fix them but NEVER make an admission.
    Its actually quite amusing to me that if you read up on it, CTS doesn't want to admit any blame and neither does Toyota. Its just like Firestone and Ford kept placing blame on each other until it blew over. .

I've looked at the pictures, and don't see a CD slot or mention of the type that comes in the new (sort of new) Avalon?

Should Toyota left the (sort of) re-design to it's people in Japan and not American's?

Most of us are not real excited about the changes (or lack thereof), but wasn't it an American firm that did the re-design? Do they take orders, direction from someone else, or were they given a blank slate to work with? Are they design challenged? Maybe they were told, don't spend much time, energy or money on tis model, as you don't expect to sell many with all of the [non-permissible content removed] that's coming our way?

Will they try and do a TOTALLY new design of many of their cars next year, to try and get back consumers confidence?

I think they would have done themselves more good, by coming out with a TOTALLY new Avalon, that looked great, drove like a dream, was just we all wanted, and at a price that couldn't be matched. It sure in hell, would have gone a long way towards public opinion.

Skip
  • cmb08cmb08 Member Posts: 24
    Just left the dealership. Can't talk myself into liking the interior finish in the 2010 Avalon Ltd. Who thought up all those silver colored compartments in the dash/console? Even the high end Camry gets the tortoise trim over the center console area?
    Perhaps a small picky thing.....but my 1999 Avalon XLS interior looks richer with its contrasting leather colors and tortoise trims. If one likes the navigation feature...no question....wait for 2011. The 2010 is not as functional. It is impossible to find a 2010 WITHOUT Nav....therefore I will probably wait. One can buy an XLS without nav...but by the time you add the extras that are mostly std in Ltd (with exception of 8way passenger seat/lumbar option)....it is nearly the same price as the LTD. The interior of the XLS is so bland, that it is worth the small price difference to upgrade to the LTD. The price on the 2010s will have to come WAY down before I would choose it over the 2011. Little upgrades..like USB, back up camera, turn signal in the side mirrors, and current options that will become standard...could be worth the wait if the prices are going to stay relatively the same.
    Does anyone know what is Standard equip in Base model and what is Standard in the Ltd. models of 2011 Avalon? I am wondering if the options packages are going to be what becomes pricey here. Also...anyone know what is base price for Avalon LTD? I am hearing they will be out in Spring........another says summer....today they said November! I guess it depends on how fast they can get rid of the 2010s! Thanks all for your input....very helpful!
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2011_Avalon_Product_Info.pdf

Pricing hasn't been announced yet. A dealer told me the car would be in showrooms in March, same time as the Sienna arrives. Another source said April, and on the weblink above it says it will be available in the spring. Waiting until November is unlikely.
    edited February 2010
    Well looking over the spec sheet (better) - at least answered one of my questions.

When looking at most of the photo's I've found online, none show what seemed to be a radio / CD player, at least I couldn't see the slot for the CD player.

The spec sheet at least notes that the base model is a CD player, but not 4 or 6 CD's, just one. Of course I still don't see the slot for the CD, but now I know, IF I purchase a new avalon, it will be the Limited (as it has what I'd like to have in my car). I guess I may have to wait until I see the pricing before I decide if I want or NEED those options. They all come at a price, but to high, and it's used Mercedes or Lexus for me:)

I'm ok considering $35, to $38,000., but not much more then that.

Skip
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited February 2010
    Here are the specs for the 2001;

STANDARD AUDIO SYSTEM

Avalon
    AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, nine speakers, XM® Radio (includes
    90-day trial subscription), auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® connectivity, hands-free
    phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, and Vacuum
    Fluorescent Display

Limited
    JBL Synthesis® AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with MP3/WMA playback capability, 660W (maximum
    output) with 12 speakers including subwoofer, XM® Radio (includes 90-day trial subscription),
    auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music
    streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, and Vacuum Fluorescent Display
    Thank you. I did find the specs, I was hoping to see a picture of where in hell folks will put the CD's?:)

Skip
    I recall reading somewhere that with the NAV system the CD 6-disk changer is not available; don't know if that means there's no CD at all. I magnified the attached photo of the dashboard with NAV screen/radio controls but also couldn't see a CD slot.

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2011-avalon/800x600/wallpaper_11.htm
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    Does the NAV screen flip up? Maybe the CD slot is behind that. Perhaps it has a 6-disc changer in the trunk which has to be preloaded. Or maybe it's behind Door #3 (that fake wood covered one in front of the shifter). In '07 that door was meant to conceal either an ashtray or cassette player. My XLS came with the latter and I knew I'd never use it. So, I offered to trade it to the dealer for an ashtray, but he wasn't interested.
    So the quest goes on, to find the hidden CD player slot:)

Skip
    Maybe in the excitement of redesigning the interior they went a bit too far. I'll show my 12-year-old grandson the pics, he'll probably see it instantly. (I hate these kids who can figure out how to work an iPod or iPhone or new computer drawing program on the first try.)
    Maybe the mysterious CD slot doesn't exist and we should all move on to iPods. Or maybe those sneaky b@st@rds at XM Radio have paid off Toyota to delete the CD option. I think I'll suggest that Congress grill Mr. Toyoda about this whole wretched affair.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    edited February 2010
    It could be that the CD loading slot is located behind the NAV screen. Since the 2011 Avy w/nav/JBL has a 4-CD system vice the 6-CD-JBL system (single non-JBL in the base model) this would make sense. The 2009/10 Venza has this arrangement (4-CD w/NAV-JBL, 6-CD/JBL w/o NAV, single CD in base). I had a 2002 Lexus ES300 w/NAV-Mark Levinson Audio and it had a 6-CD cartridge that loaded in the center armrest in addition to a single CD slot behind the NAV screen. So, I could have up to 7 CD's to select from in addition to the cassette that was behind the NAV screen. I rarely had 6 CD's loaded at any one time and usually used the single one behind the NAV screen.

Until the car is available for review at dealerships, it will remain a mystery as to where Toyota has hidden the CD load slot.

On a sidenote regarding styling revisions, it appears they heavliy revised the front/rear clips, the dash/cockpit area along with minors tweaks to the wheels and side trim. Still, its a somber looking car and a value that seems to appeal to retirees and those wanting a Lexus-like vehicle without spending Lexus money.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
    The look also appeals to those of us who don't want to attract the attention of thieves or cops with laser speed guns, as opposed to, say, a yellow Honda CR-Z with a straight thru muffler.
    Some of the complaints I've read focus on the front seats being uncomfortable in current 2009/2010 models (particularly in LTD...due to some bar inside that is part of the cooling system). Has anyone else had a problem with this? I see the detail of 2011's "thicker stitching and wider perforations" in the Ltd seats to come. Not sure what that's about.
    Any comments?
    Can't answer to each totally, but I can say my Touring Edition seats get a bit uncomfortable after 2-300 miles of driving:(

That's one of the reasons I'll be test driving the Limited 2011 Avalon when it gets to my local dealer.

Skip
    Yes I've read on models with the optional ventilated seats the bar inside can get uncomfortable after awhile. Personally, an air conditioned seat is one option I can live without; ditto for the heated steering wheel but heated seats are almost a necessary option in cold climates and they do their job well.
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    I have an '08 Ltd. with the ventilated seats. I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. and find the seats very comfortable even when sitting for 1,000+ miles in a day. I've never felt any kind of a bar in the seats.
    If your 210 lbs. are distributed like my 220 are, there could be railroad spikes in the seats & I wouldn't notice. yuk yuk. Just kiddin'.

Toy replied to an email today from me and they said there are no plans for a front bench seat in the '11, despite the report in a Detroit newspaper about a week ago. So much for automobile writers. The car will be in showrooms in 'the spring', but no word whether that means April. When they finally do appear, maybe the mods here will start one of those threads about the lowest pricing people have found & the names/locations of the dealers.
    edited February 2010
    I've been reading more road test reviews of the new Caddy STS, Buick LaCrosse & Lucerne, Lincoln MKS, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Acura TL, Hyn Genesis & Azera, Lexus ES, Audi A4 & 5. Previously I'd read about their '10 models and drove some of them but then ruled them out in favor of the Avalon, for one reason or another. From what I've read of the '11 models, those reasons are still valid. I haven't test driven any though & I guess I should do that next, despite having to go through feeling like a piece of bleeding meat with the sharks hovering on the steps of car dealerships.

Question for all of you: has anyone bought a new car going through the Costco or AAA referrals to a specific sales person? When I was shopping in the fall the prices I got through those sources seemed lower than the ones I felt like I could negotiate going into a dealer 'cold turkey'. You know the scene: Hi, I'm old, dumb, and rich, how much can I give you for that car in the corner with the nice color? You'll be friendly if I buy it, right?
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Most of the cars you list are unacceptable to me because of ride comfort issues. The MKS ride is closer to that of a truck than a Lincoln. The Lucerne/DTS, Lincoln Town Car, and Avalon are the best riding cars available if price is an object. Hyundai was supposed to soften the ride of its Genesis, but I haven't driven a 2010 model. I will drive the Equus when it makes its appearance here towards the end of the year. The latest MB E350 isn't as refined or as smooth as the previous version. Even the latest iteration of the Lexus ES 350 doesn't ride as smoothly as the previous versions and the one I drove had a deal-breaking case of steering wheel shake at idle. :D
    Spoke to dealer on Coast and one in Central Valley.
    They are expecting 2011 Avalons at their dealerships before the end of March...that's a lot sooner than I thought.
    Sounds like they keep everything under wraps until the last minute. Last week when I went in, the salesman had never seen a photo of the 2011....this week, they've had staff meetings...and they are up to speed on the 2011s...and they are soon to be here.
    Looks like base price on LTD. is going to be basically the same....not sure on the baseline Avalon. Dealer on coast was willing to take a deposit for an order today!
    Think I'll wait to see in person first. I really didn't want NAV in 2010 limited....and on the West Coast you can't get a limited without! Seems it really isn't an "option" unless you live in the midwest or east coast!
    Thanks everyone for answering previous questions...
    edited February 2010
    "Dealer on coast was willing to take a deposit for an order today!"

I'll bet he was, hehe. Still living in the past when folks would buy something 'sight unseen' just to be the first one on their block to have one. Reminds me of the early MS Windows programs when folks would be lined up the night before they'd be for sale; remember Windows95 and Windows98?

So if you decide to buy a Ltd without the Nav, would you have to go to Nevada to get one or what?
    You can probably order the 2011 Ltd without nav......
    but to find a 2010 without nav.....you would have to get it from a dealership in another state. For whatever reason, the option NOT to order it with Nav was only extended to midwest and east coast states this year. Go figure!
    The closest one I could locate on the internet in the color I wanted without Nav was in Wisconsin! The deal would have to be pretty sweet to pay the additonal charges to ship it here.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-pricing-for-redesigne- d-154654.aspx?ncid=12025

The Avy remains priced the same as last year's XLS, and the asking price for the LTD is $200 higher.

Availability is mid-March.
    For me, it's not what they are selling for, it will be how much will they be giving for trade-ins?

Everything I'm hearing and reading say's Toyotas are taking one hell of a hit on trade-in, something that won't settle very well with me.

I'm guessing, IF Toyota can prove that the NEW ones don't have ANY (major) problems, and they give GREAT trade-in value for use Toyotas, they may be able to keep some of us.

As I have said in earlier posts, I have first refusal on the first in 2011 Avalon at my local dealer, and I will be taking it for a test ride, and we'll see from there.

I had decided to look at a new Avalon way before the [non-permissible content removed] hit the fan for them (my Touring Edition isn't as comfortable as I'd like (35,000+ miles a year, and my [non-permissible content removed] is sore) it to be, nor as quiet.

I must admit, I haven't put much time or energy into what other car(s) I'll consider, if the new Avalon doesn't do it for me.

- Used LS460 (L)?
    - Used Mercedes S600 - E class, C Class?
    - BMW?
    - Audi?

I do like the looks of the new Lacrosse, but like the size of the Lucrene?

Skip
    Yes, what other cars is the question. The MB quality/reliability has dropped sharply in the past few years from what I've seen and read. Same with Audi, don't know about BMW. And despite the flood of ads Toyota has been bombarding us with during the past week or so, like the ad on the right of this page, I'm really worried about their safety. These problems happened while Lentz and his crew were in charge, and for them now to say our safety is their most important priority has a hollow ring to it. I say get out the broom and bring in a new bunch who will care about something other than their paychecks and perks. But that's just me and no one listens.

The problems I see are the cost cutting methods aren't changing, and the computer chip controlled electronics are probably being made in third world places like China where quality control is lousy. I've been reading other sedan forums here and the quality of Avy's competitors can be shabby too.
    Do we actually have to start looking in the above $75,000 range for a good machine to drive?

I wish the politicians would solve this problem once and for all. Maybe another committee...
    One other thought. I've been on a lot of websites looking for cars in the past few months, and I saw a 20 year old Rolls with 22K miles for $30K. Looked immaculate. I'm thinking even with 10 mpg, would it be something to consider given that I'm looking for something that rides like a Greyhound bus, is reliable and comfortable. Wouldn't have the latest greatest electronics either, which may be a plus. Let's see...20,000 miles per year at 10 mpg, with each gallon costing.... So what if I have to park at the far end of the grocery store lot, I need the exercise...The Alpine stereo in the car used to be state-of-the-art...love the feel of those hand crafted leather hides...
    Interestingly looks like the optional Navigation System Package in the 2011 Limited is priced at 1450.00. What a decrease compared to 2010..and it includes backup camera and XM radio receiver. I guess that can be attributed to the fact that technology is getting cheaper?! I remember buying my first Windows computer for 3200.00!
    Go figure!
    Tell me about it. My first Apple Computer cost damn near as much as a new car:)

I was hoping to be able to get the great sound system but without the Nav., as I must admit, my Garmin does a wonderful job, and well, I don't get lost that often.

I put on over 35,000 miles a year, and well, I ask for directions if it's a big deal, but must of the time, I can get away with the Garmin, and before that Google maps. So my point is, I'd rather not pay any amount for something I don't need, to get something Id like to have.

I haven't check to see if I can order it that way yet, but I will be checking. I thought an earlier posting here had a breakdown of the models and what came with them.

Skip
    In the past you were always able to get the JBL audio without NAV. My '06 XLS was equipped that way.

twinb,

Assuming you are serious about the 20-year old Rolls, here are some things to think about:

1. Everything on that car made of rubber or plastic (belts, hoses, tires, wire insulation, etc.) is going to be dry and/or brittle. The parts and labor could double the asking price.

2. Where will you get it serviced? What if you are far from home when the old Silver Ghost starts acting funny?

3. Ask your insurance agent how much your premium would go up, because it will.

4. Even at the far end of the grocery store parking lot, you are going to find lots of strangers looking, touching, trying to steal the Flying Lady hood ornament, etc.

It would be cool to have as a second or third car, but I would be reluctant to use it for my primary transportation.
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    Ditto. My 2008 Avalon Limited has JBL and XM without the NAV. When I bought the car I had a choice of models; some had NAV and some didn't.
    You're right Knott, those are some things I hadn't thought about. I was thinking mainly of the tires, exhaust system, & brakes, but all the rubber stuff would be ready to go after 20 years and I'm sure the selling dealer didn't touch the car once the trade-in was complete. Thanks for your wider perspective. Joe.
    I had a 88 Spur with about 16k miles on it. It was like new and a very comfortable car. The only thing wrong with it was an intermittently noisy fuel pump (Spirits and Spurs have two) which never made any noise for my local dealer (Park Place in Dallas); they picked it up and delivered it back to me several times at no charge. I bought it sight unseen (just e-mail photos from a dealer in NY). If you're serious about a Rolls or Bentley, join RROC and get to know the members and their cars. Always do business with a reputable dealer; E-bay might be a crap shoot. Pay a professional to inspect the car and give you a comprehensive report (about $250 and well worth it), although I didn't do it but I was lucky that I bought the car from a reputable dealer for $35k. Don't go too cheap on purchase price; it may mean the car needs alot and service and parts are expensive. Also, get a car with books and records. The beauty of a RR is its quality of materials, workmanship, and comfort. Never had any trouble with vandals, even when I took it shopping.
    edited March 2010
    Thank you Ken. I see there's a Colorado Chapter in the club, I'll look into that. Their icon is the flying lady on skis, hehe. Any other suggestions for forums to visit? The RR one on the CS site here is inactive.

Thanks for the replies to my post. Since this is the Avalon forum I guess we should get re-focused on the '11 model which will be in showrooms in a week or so.
    Five pictures of my car:
    http://www.rroc-mcs.org/galleries/gallery-sz.htm
    1988 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur NAJ-23060

Still looking forward to driving the new Avalon.
    edited March 2010
    What a beautiful piece, and you kept it looking good! There's no RR dealer here in Colo but north of Metro Denver there's a place that deals in Aston Martin and other top cars; they may be familiar with RR cars. Friend of mine has a summer place in Fla. & says folks have been killed in the markets; as a result there are many fine cars to be had at auction there.

Avalon is a giant step or three down from the Spur, eh? Thanks for the pics.
  • manatoc5manatoc5 Member Posts: 19
    I sat in the 2011 Avalon at the Cleveland Auto show. The have lowered the headroom
    at least an inch and half in front and three inches in the back seat. I wanted to sit in one before I made a decision to buy a 2010 or a 2011 Avalon. Yesterday I bought one of the last nice 2010 Avalon Limited on my local dealers lot for $6,000 off list price due to their discounts. If you are a tall guy waiting to buy a 2011 Avalon you are screwed. They started taking the headroom out of toyotas with the redesign of the Camry, then the 2011 Corolla and now the 2011 Avalon, and in addition the new design of the interior of the 2011 sucks. Take my advice, if you are a tall guy run out and try and buy one of the last 2010 Avalons. If you are 6'1" or shorter you dont have to worry as long as none of your passengers are taller than you but 2010 will be the last great year for the Avalon
    Not sure what was going on in the Avalon you sat in at the auto show, however, a quick look at the website shows the 2010 Av at 38.9F/37.5R the 2011 brochure shows the exact same 38.9F/37.5R. The overall "greenhouse" of the Avalon is unchanged for 2011, so this makes sense to me. Could it have been the power seats were raised all the way up in the one at the auto show?

• manatoc5manatoc5 Member Posts: 19
    If you dont believe me, go sit in the car. I am 6'3 1/2" tall, and I am telling you they took away headroom in the car and have a less attractive layout and style.
    Sit in both the 2011 and the 2010 and make your decision. That is why I bought the last loaded Avalon limited on the lot, and it had everything I wanted.
    I wanted to wait until I could sit in the new 2011 before making my decision.
    That is why the mpg rates up up by 1mpg because they took out the height in the car, and it uses less steel to make it. It is simple math.
    I didn't say I didn't believe you, however, are they lying in their published #s? Almost every dimension is exactly the same. The overall height of the car, legroom, headroom and the 2011 actually is .4" longer . Remember, this "redesign" is really just a refresh. The basics of the car are the same. Were you able to adjust the seats at the one in the car show? Nevertheless, enjoy your 2010. With the discount you got the few extra things the 2011 has probably wouldn't have been worth it anyway. My '06 XLS was fantastic in every respect.

2011 see page 14

manatoc,

I am 6'2" and typically drive with the seat all the way back and as low as it will go. So, I will be interested in your answer to tjc's question about whether you were able to adjust the seat of the 2011 Avalon. Usually, the exhibitors at car shows have the batteries disconnected in order to avoid damage to the cars' sound systems by half-deaf teenagers.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) LOL

I have been waffling back and forth re;: 2010 vs. 2011. This may be deciding factor. My husband is 6'3".
    There are no 2011's around to see first..and the 2010s are in short supply.

Since you saw the 2011 in person...can I ask a few questions? Re: changes...that you can't tell without seeing in person...
    1. Did they change the faux woodgrain? I see that the other 2011 Toyotas have this woodgrain with a satin (not glossy) finish. The 2010s are glossy.

2. Did you think the leather/seat quality was really any different? Promos say improved leather/cushion?

3. Is Dash board considerably higher in 2011? One of things I like about 2010 is the lower dash..makes the front seem roomier.

4. Any other style change/quality change details you can add will be helpful.

I appreciate your feedback, as I have a 2010 on hold now and need to make final decision. Would like to feel as informed as I can on this :-)
    Thanks!!