Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G37 and iPhone/iPod integration?

ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
Thinking about a G37x and I wanted to find what people's experiences are with the iphone. I listen to mostly podcasts but do lots of talking while driving.
Using bluetooth, does the incoming phone number show up on the NAV screen? Can you control the podcast through a voice command or the steering wheel?

Is there a way to play a podcast while charging the phone and intermittently taking/making calls via Bluetooth?

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    But this may help: http://www.infinitiusa.com/bluetooth/phone.html?mfgid=18&modelid=0&phone=iPhone+- (1st+generation)&mfg2=Apple&setup=06IT&vehicle=G+Sedan&year=2009&equip=Navigatio- n+System&mfg=Apple&status=FCP&page=1&sort=name
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    thanks for the link.
    Looks like Apple is up to their old tricks again w/the iphone 3G preventing charging from the ipod cable...
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Is it really an Apple "trick"? I use my IPod Touch in the car, which indeed fails to charge through the cable (an annoyance, to be sure). But I blame Infiniti, not Apple, since some IPod docking stations support charging and playthrough/control, right?
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    From what I know, Apple purposely made the 3g iphone not charge w/the older adapters so that you have to buy more from them. My ipod 3rd gen cable will not charge my phone although it certainly fits.

The newer cars with the USB port should take care of that until Apple changes things again.
  • intermdintermd Member Posts: 8
    I had a 2008 G35x which I returned 2 weeks ago (end of lease) and now I have a 2009 G37X.

In both the cars a device called Scosche Passport
    ( link -http://scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/360/productID/1667)
    worked perfectly. The bluetooth continues to work for incoming calls etc and the ipod controls on the Infiniti controls the iphone playlists etc. The only complaint I have is I wish the inifiniti supplied cable was longer.
  • woj207woj207 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 2010 G27x, are you saying that this Schosche Passport will resolve the issues of the IPhone bluetooth communication issues with the Bluetooth system on the Infiinti?

Or are you saying that when you connect via USB that the IPhone Ipod functions work and that you can charge the Iphone?
  • navyboytxnavyboytx Member Posts: 2
    The iPhone and the 2010 Infiniti suck at integration. I have no problems with the power and charging of the phone.

What I do have a problem with is:
    1) Music will stop randomly and screen will say Check USB Cable or USB Device.
    a. Unplugging the iPhone and plugging it back in doesn't work.
    b. Screen locks up on the message
    c. I typically have to come to a complete stop... power cycle the car and then it will work again.

2) If you have both bluetooth on AND USB plugged in... it will play USB for about 10 seconds and then switch to Bluetooth Audio. I prefer the USB since Bluetooth skips sometimes. So I disable the Bluetooth, then I don't have handsfree phone..

3) Contacts
    a. No sync still... Yes I know it's appls fault... but there has to be a workaround.
    b. You can see the contacts but they are all in hex like this "4acdbffad248362defabc"
  • woj207woj207 Member Posts: 54
    I agree completely. I wish bluetooth worked. or USB worked. ..
  • myg37myg37 Member Posts: 7
    Hello , is anybody having this issue. i just got a new 2010 infiniti g37 sedan , my ipod which worked fine in my g35 is not working in my new car with a usb cable which i did purchase. it just say's chk usb or ipod memory. know when i plug my iphone into the usb cable it works fine so i know the cable works. i also took my friends ipod and tried that and still got the same message. please help ????
  • mdchi2010mdchi2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue with the iPhone and my 2010 G37. The charging is fine but the music will just randomly stop and throw the message on the screen to "Check USB Memory or iPod". It is extremely frustrating and the dealer service department has been of no help. Did you ever find any resolution to your issue?
  • infiknightinfiknight Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same issue. Get that message. AND my bluetooth won't connect. i hate 1st gen bugs...
  • rajalorajalo Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2010 G37S. Love the car, but having the exact same issue with the iPhone and my 2010 G37.

------
    The charging is fine but the music will just randomly stop and throw the message on the screen to "Check USB Memory or iPod". It is extremely frustrating and the dealer service department has been of no help. Did you ever find any resolution to your issue?
    -----
    Anybody with a solution ?

Raj
    Any luck in figuring out how to make this work?
    Hi, I have the SAME exact issue on my 2010 G37S Coupe. Please let me know if you have found any solutions as this is very annoying.

Thx,
    Raj
    Folks, I did file a complaint to consumer affairs to escalate. It would be great if you called in and did the same so we can get a software update patch to solve this. Their number is: 1-800-662-6200.

Here is the issue I reported. I am using a Generation 2 IPOD Touch:

-------------------
    Hello,

I am the new owner of a 2010 Infiniti G37S Coupe (6MT), and seem to have an Ipod Integration issue which is a big pain for me since I'm such an Ipod person. I have an IPOD Touch 2nd Generation (V 3.1.3) and it seems that the music will stop randomly and I get a message saying "Check USB Cable or USB Device". Only after coming to a complete stop, turning off/ and on the car, it starts working again.

I searched some forums and looks like others are having the same exact problem.
  • amopamop Member Posts: 2
    I've been having the same exact issue, I even got the dealership to replace the whole radio trying to see if it was a defect with the radio but after they did it, the issue is still there. I also notice that the radio does not recognized all the song in the IPod, it only recognizes half of all the song in it. (2010 G37S sedan with a 2nd Gen IPod Touch)
  • andyb45andyb45 Member Posts: 6
    Well.. ad the new M37S to the list of Infinitis that are also having this issue.

Has anyone found any resolution or heard back from Nissan/Infiniti?

Is it just the Touch or are other IPOD models having the same issue?
  • acm25acm25 Member Posts: 4
    I see similar issues with my iPhone 3G on a 2010 G37 sedan.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Let me ad another problem:

I have a Moto Q 9c business phone. Uses MS mobile program, synch with my Desktop Outlook / Email etc. I have a new G37X with Navi, Prem. packages, the bluetooth works well. The phone was recognized, BUT when I restart the car, the bluetooth picks up the phone, and then tells me :Call in Progress when I hit the Call button on the Wheel. Originally, I set the Car's Bluetooth to upload the Phone's Phone book which has 100 or more entries. Thought that was the problem. I reset that to and at first that Call in Progress stopped. yesterday, it happened again. Very Annoying b/c I can't make a call when that happens. I think it's the streaming when the phone Synch's with the webmail of the Server to my business. Any ideas from anyone to correct?
  • nsuljicnsuljic Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5SR...
    Per my last post, I had the same issue with my M37S. This last weekend I took it back to the dealer who recevied a new DVD-ROM with a software upgrade. I am now going on 5 days with no USB errors. I did receive one of the reported "USB ERROR" messages, which got resolved after I unplugged the iTOUCH from the USB and plugged it back in (A LOT BETTER than having to turn the car off and on).

Hope the fix works for your car too, contact your dealer.
  • mooner10mooner10 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have the 2011 M37S as well. Just got off the phone with my dealership and with Infiniti USA and both said they have no such DVD-ROM to fix issue. I have had the car for about 40 days now and have had no issues at all with my iphone integration until today. Of course it is the day after the new Iphone OS 4.0 downloaded to my 3GS phone. That is the issue i think, the new OS is not recognized by the USB port on in the car. Could you share your dealership information with me? I know your using the iTouch, but i have to believe there are alot of infiniti owners that have the 3GS or even getting the new iPhone 4 coming out soon that will have issues on the USB...thanks!!!
    OK. So I checked back with my dealer on the specific. Here's what I am told.

I live in Atlanta, the cars and techincal support or manufactured/assembled/whatever in Nashville. My Infiniti technician contact a colleague from Nashville and explained the issue with the USB/ERRO/STOP THE CAR TO RESET issue we have all documented.

The Nashville technician may have been working on the fix already, but it resulted in him coming from Nashville with the DVDR and personally load upgraded software onto my M37. I can tell you now after 1.5 weeks of testing, it has absolutely fixed this specific issue.

This will now result in Infinit issuing a "tech bulliten" in which other inifiti dealers can review the notes, request the software and begin the upgrades. Bottom line: stay in contact with your dealer. I am assuming this may take a few weeks to completely roll out.

That's all I know and I hope this helps those who have been dealing with this incredibly frustrating issue for so long.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    It's pretty frustrating to have a 2011 M37 that doesn't work properly with an Apple iphone shipped in 2009 yet that's what we have.

someone give me the number to call to complain....
    GHSTUDIO -

I spoke to my dealer and he offered to personally contact his counterpart at your dealer and explain what happened and how it got fixed. If you want to reply with your dealer's name/phone #, I'd be happy to pass it on.
  • jbleierjbleier Member Posts: 4
    My new G37XS sedan is having the same issue!
    So glad to know I'm not alone (my dealer knew nothing about it).
    I just got the car on Monday, I live near Philadelphia, and my dealership is Infiniti of Ardmore.

andyb45, I would be extremely grateful for the info to pass along to my dealer to get this software upgrade. Being able to integrate my iPhone (3GS w/OS4) is pretty important to me.

Thanks
  • amopamop Member Posts: 2
    Can that info be passed to my dealer here in Tampa, FL?
    The name is Infiniti of Tampa and the phone number is 888-617-1173 and it is located at 4612 North Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33614.

I will appreciate if this can be done as the fact that the ipod crashes pretty often is driving me crazy.
    All -

Since there appear to be several of you having issues, please have your local Infiniti service representative contact my dealer directly, ask for "Jamie" in service.

Roswell Infinity
    11405 Alpharetta Highway
    Roswell, GA 30076
    (770) 625-8500
    Thanks for helping with this!

I spoke to my service rep and apparently the 3G iphone is being called "incompatible" at least as far as his bulletin is concerned. I don't know if this means the 3GS is similarly incompatible or not, since it is quite a different phone.

Perhaps he doesn't even have the updated bulletin you are referring to!

When I have them call Jamie, should they refer to your case as a reference, and if so, how should we refer to you (or will Jamie know what he is talking about)?

Thanks, again!
  • simstimsimstim Member Posts: 1
    I just got the M37S. My bluetooth works fine and at first my iPod 3GS (with OS4) worked fine for a day or so. Then it started giving me the check USB memory error message.

I'll contact the dealer but I thought it was weird that it worked for a bit and THEN decided to stop.
    Same thing happened to me with the g37xs. I put my service guy in touch with Jamie in Atlanta (see above) and was told the new bulletin and software update would be available in the next 2 weeks.
    I heard back from Jamie today and this is correct. I actually noticed a lot of other quirks after installing OS4 into my touch including the inability to quick scroll through all albums, songs, etc. (i.e. holding down the forward button and instead of going artist-by-artist, the screen used to display "B,C,D,E, etc.). This completely stopped functioning with the OS4 upgrade.

It sounds like both Apple in Infiti will be upgrading software within the next 2-3 weeks.

This is incredibly frustrating, but I guess this is what happens when it's all software (I preferred it when it was "all ball bearings!")
  • shadman3000shadman3000 Member Posts: 1
    I found a solution that worked for me from reading about a similar problem with Pioneer radios on Apple's forums. Plug in your iPhone to the car then do a hard reset by pressing and holding the power button and the home button at the same until the phone restarts on its own. Once it boots up again, It should connect witht he car (it takes a little longer that it usually does) and believe it or not, it works again. Here is the explanation:
    "The method used to recognize the USB device has a clever bit of code in the firmware to improve the connect time once the initial handshake with the device has been established. So after the update to iOS4, the host device (Car Stereo) still thinks that it is connecting to the un-updated client device (iPhone prior to updating to iOS4) The updated client device (Your iPhone with iOS4), must fool the host device (Your car stereo), into believing that it is an entirely new device. This is done by connecting your iPhone to the stereo head USB port with the iPhone switched off completely. This is achieved by holding down the top power button on the iPhone until the red slide bar comes up and prompts you to shut the iPhone down. Do this and then with the car stereo switched on, plug the iPhone into the USB socket and wait till the iPhone starts of it's own accord. If it does not start, press the top power button on the phone until it starts. This will force the host device (Your car stereo) and the client device (Your iPhone) to re-negotiate the handshake between the devices and get you back to where you will once again be happy."

I am guessing that going to the dealership and having the system updated essentially resets the nav system and causes it to reconnect with the phone once it is plugged in again. I hope this works.
    thanks for all the help - i got my dealer in touch, and the official software update has been dispersed! it all seems to work now!

enter a new wrinkle: while waiting for the update, i used a suggestion posted on this foru (thanks!) regarding using the phone as a bluetooth audio device and that worked beautifully ! the only downside to that was not being able to control it from the steering wheel/console. now that the update has come out, the phone syncs perfectly (so far) BUT -- it seems "once a bluetooth audio device ALWAYS a bluetooth audio device!" after the update, when i plugged in the phone it would still only send audio via bluetooth. so when i was on the usb screen, i couldn't hear! i had to delete the phone completely and re-handshake, just as a phone! (it actually was more functional this way since i could listen to pandora as well)

so here's the question: does anyone know how to tell the car to ignore a bluetooth audio device temporarily or is an either/or situation?! i haven't been able to figure out how to do that! so right now i can either use the ipod connection OR as a bluuetooth audio device but not both

thanks to all in advance!
  • jcatungaljcatungal Member Posts: 1
    I also have bought a 2010 nissan altima 3.5 SR and me and my wife are have problems with the bluetooth. We also have called Nissan consumer affairs. what was you r experince with them?
  • bweiss1bweiss1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    There is an official recall for the 2010 G37/i Pod issue.

Here is what I got from Infiniti. Going to dealer on Friday and hope it works.

File #6899029

Dear Mr. Weiss:

A review of our records indicates that the vehicle with the vehicle serial number listed above is involved in the recall as follows:

OPEN P0336 INF REPROGRAM NAVI ITB10-031

Please contact your Infiniti dealership for an appointment to have the recall repairs performed on your vehicle. These repairs are free of charge to you.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Infiniti

Beverley Harnum
    Consumer Relations Representative
    National Consumer Affairs
  • bweiss1bweiss1 Member Posts: 2
    Had the upgrade done and everything seems to work fine now
  • zivvy24zivvy24 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new G37x last night and my 2nd generation ipod touch is not integrating. Where do I obtain the upgrade or what do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks in advance.
  • arto01arto01 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a g37 coupe bluetooth was working great before I updated My iPhone to ios5 know it won't show the name when Iam getting a call those anyone know why this is.
  • drepsdreps Member Posts: 1
    I was able to see a full-screen display of the song played on my iPod including the album cover. However, later, I pressed Status to show other information in the lower portion of the screen, and I cannot figure out how to go back to the full-screen display. Any help would be appreciated.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Press the button to reselect the source.
  • dcogandcogan Member Posts: 1
    Could you please pass information on to my dealership?

King Infiniti (808) 836-0848

I am having the same issues and would appreciate you passing on the info.

Thanks!
  • malteseangelmalteseangel Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my car in August 2011 and have had phone issues from day one. I have been to the dealership more than 3x's now. They have replaced the whole navigation system with bluetooth, antenna, microphone, and radio..and I still cant use the bluetooth. I have to pick up my handset phone to speak to anyone. I have also dealt with Apple and had my phone reset and it has been replaced twice...so I am now on the 3rd iphone. I am not sure what to do next and wanted to see if anyone else is having same issues of not being able to use their bluetooth - people not hearing you on the other end in a 2011 Infiniti G37.....thanks ..