Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Camry oil change interval

stevepatekstevepatek Member Posts: 1
I just came back from my Toyota service manager and he told me I didn't need an oil change at 5000 miles and Toyota would be changing the interval to 10000 miles for 2010 4cyl Camrys in about a month.Does anyone else have feedback on this?

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have read this rumor elsewhere on the internet. I read that Toyota would be coming out with a bulletin in February. Until I see it from Toyota, I would not say it is official, but I think that it will be. Good news!
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    The woman I bought my 2010 from in Oct. told me that this change would probably happen fairly soon.
    I have about 2500 miles on mine. Is there any reason to get an earlier oil change when the car is newer than 5K miles?
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Dont know whether the 10k mile change will come into effect or not but must say that was a really honest service manager. The dealers including Toyotas still continue to push the 3000 miles/3 month oil changes in this day and age. So for a service manger to actually suggest and even recommend longer oil changes-that is indeed commendable. :shades:
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I purchased a 2010 Camry SE 4 cylinder last week. The salesman and the service manager both said that the oil change interval had been changed to 10,000 miles. A letter should be coming out from Toyota in the next few weeks.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Why people have so much interest in trying to stretch oil change intervals, is beyond me understanding it.

You save 30/40 bucks a year, and provide higher risk to the engine on a 20-30K vehicle.

Oil after 5K is black with contaminates. Add to that the problem that consumers may not check the height of the oil level in between oil changes, and that's a risk I don't need.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Why people have so much interest in trying to stretch oil change intervals, is beyond me understanding it.

...for me...

1. The less they touch the car...the less they can mess up w/ something
    2. time
    3. money
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    +1
    "Why people have so much interest in trying to stretch oil change intervals, is beyond me understanding it."

I'm not necessarily in favor of 10,000 mile oil change intervals. However, with synthetic oil (that is what Toyota will require), I may be willing to go that far as long as it is a Toyota recommendation.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I am perfectly happy with the fact that the factory recommendation for my '01 Porsche 911/996 C4 is 15,000 miles or one year. It gets 10 qts of Mobil 1 annually.
  • corolla_e11corolla_e11 Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2010
    Cheers,

Want to give some updates here in forum.

Just received Yesterday Toyota notification regarding the interval increase for my 2010 Camry of course using synthetic oil. So the rumors just become a reality and only now I can believe it.

BTW: they send first the email regarding the oil change interval increase and the later is dated 02/12/2010 and I was wondering where is the notification regarding the recalls on the Camry. This is a confirmation that the issue with the recall have been "played down" and probably toyota's intention was to send first the oil interval increase to consumer in order to calm them down with the good news before they spread the bad news. Any way still waiting for the recall notification.

I just went through couple post in this thread and I saw someone posting this:

"Why people have so much interest in trying to stretch oil change intervals, is beyond me understanding it."

My answer to who ever that person was is the following:

See here in the US poeple usually think the technic is far developped than else where in the world.

European standards for oil change was decades 15.000 KM or 1 year and the new trend is know 30.000 KM. So when I see such a question I'm asking my self where poeple are leaving.

Do you think every where else in the world people are paying $400 and more for just a simple vacuum cleaner (Dyson or what ever) or that people are paying $1000 to $2000 for a front loader what they call here h.e (high efficient). Front loader are standard in all countries (even in Africa) in the world only here in the US h.e. front loader is a luxury. and this is just for doing basic stuffs.

and the US want to competes with other developed and technology advanced country like Germany, Japan, etc.

So my answer to who ever posted this question is: "Wait and see". It's just the beginning.

Wanted to add something else: Do you guys think is a mistake that Toyota recalls affected the most vehicles in the US market? Look at how less the recall affected the European market and Toyota is selling there since decade and the quality there is 1000 time better than what is being sold here in the US.

If we had here something similar that what the German have: www.auto-motor-und-sport.de Go to the "Test tab"; I mean something that professional are doing and they deeply now what they are talking about (not reports or test review posted by edmunds) then they should have caught long time ago those issues related to Toyota recall today.

Oh boy It's just the beginning...... but one think is sure: Toyota is the best quality vehicle for the most affordable price in the US market.
    edited February 2010
    I also received this notification. OCI changed to 10K miles/1 year using 0W20 synthetic oil. One thing that makes us think that we should use shorter OCI's is the Quicke Lube's advertising that we should change our oil every 3K miles.

I have a 2010 SE which has the Denso sport pedals. No recalls for my car as per my Toyota dealer and Toyota's website.

I agree that Toyota is the best quality for the price.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    edited March 2010
    I also received the notice for the 10,000 miles oil change for the new 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic, but I am going to get the oil and oil filter changed at around 5,600 miles on my Camry.
    The only reason why I am going to do this is because I am trying to boost the MPG fuel economy on my car. I am currently ONLY getting a whopping 24.7 to 25.5 MPG with 50/50 city and highway driving which is not good at all for a 4 cylinder car like the Camry. This particular vehicle should be getting an average fuel economy of 30 to 32 MPG, but it isn't.
    I'm hoping that the MPG fuel economy will go up substantially after I get the oil and oil filter changed in my Camry. Has anybody in here realized a huge improvement in their MPG fuel economy in their 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic after the first oil change? If so, by how much?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Your mpg is about normal for a 50/50 city/hwy mix. The oil change won't make a difference.

The lifetime mpg for my 2005 Camry 4, now with 44K miles, is only 25.7. It goes as low as about 20 mpg in city-only driving (in our small town) and up to about 32-33 mpg on highway trips.

Even the EPA stats don't suggest you'll get an average of over 30 mpg in mixed driving.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I agree with 210delray.. You don't need to change oil every 3000 miles..If you driver very fast, you will need to change oil sooner.... I do alot of highway driving, drive 55-65 mph, and I change oil every 5000-6000 miles..., my 2006 camry v6 average 28.9 mpg for 2010. driven 5000 miles.. best was 30.9 - 33 mpg.

210delray, i think you can do 35 mpg..highway when the weather get warmer..
  • pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    I kept telling my dealer about the 10,000 mile oil change for my 2010 Camry LE and they asked for the info from me. I cannot believe how Toyota corporate keep their dealers uninformed. I got 3 different answers from 3 local dealers.Try calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center with questions. Phone: 800-331-4331. I think they use a call center.You can almost hear them turning the pages of the manual when you ask questions. I found out more from online forums. I asked my dealer about the terrible gas mileage I am getting and the dealer blames it on too much ethanol and they say the EPA window sticker estimate is incorrect. Too bad they did not tell me that before I bought the car.

A question that I might of missed. If we wait 10,000 miles between oil changes, what about the filter element? Do we wait 10,000 miles for it also or are we supposed to drain oil, change filter before then? I hate the new oil filters!

By the way, I never received a recall notice for my 2010 Camry. I had to call and ask. They did not have a record of my car until they searched awhile. It looks like a child with a jigsaw cut my pedal.

Anyone hear about a free oil change or anything for the inconvenience or depreciation of our vehicles?

I was really upset that all the new Toyota's coming at my dealer (after recall) were getting fixed while they made me wait weeks for my pedal repair. That tells me how concerned Toyota really was about the safety of customers with cars affected by the recall.
  • john_1522john_1522 Member Posts: 11
    I was really upset that all the new Toyota's coming at my dealer (after recall) were getting fixed while they made me wait weeks for my pedal repair. That tells me how concerned Toyota really was about the safety of customers with cars affected by the recall.

-------------------------------------

Toyota really can't control what the dealers do. At the dealership I work at, we fixed customer cars first, then we gradually started fixing ones on the lot.
    edited April 2010
    John,

When you are responding to a poster (and decide to copy their text and put it in your note), you might want to put their post in italics. That way the next reader knows that your response is below the italics. This forum doesn't have the nice copy box's that some other forums have, so italics is about the best you can do to show a difference.

Just makes it a little easier to see your response from the original post.
    kiawah- Sorry about how reply thing works. I hope my message was clear. It did show who ?I was replying too. I was just adding to what was already said.

john_1522 - You say your dealership fixed the customer's recalled cars first and then the cars on the lot. That is good. I hope all the customer cars are repaired. The ones that were notified or that Toyota tried to notify. To me, it will not help the law suits when it is brought up in court that dealers were more concerned with selling new arriving cars rather then recalled customers, as was the case in my area.

So..nobody answered the question of changing the filter element at 10,000 miles w/oil change or before then...or should I start a new thread?
    edited April 2010
    So..nobody answered the question of changing the filter element at 10,000 miles w/oil change or before then...or should I start a new thread?

Filter is good for the 10K miles. Just change the filter every time the oil is changed.
  • awn7eawn7e Member Posts: 12
    Recall/Inconvenience/Depreciation
    I received a letter from Toyota clearly marked on the outside that it's important. It tells me I am affected by the floor mat recall (I found out by looking at the gas pedal that my pedal was made by the "good company" and therefore is not impacted by the other recall). It saids I should bring it to the dealership for service and nothing about a free oil change ... it does say dealership will clean my rugs for free. I also have the My Toyota login on Toyota.com and when I logged in this past week I saw a notice telling me I hvae the floor mat recall.

Miles per gallon
    I was getting only 20-25 mpg until this past weekend when I got around 30 mpg. Not sure if it's weather related or because it takes a while for engine to "hit its prime." My 2010 Camry currently has 4400 miles on odometer.
    awn7e- I am at 6500 miles. My local dealer that did repair gave me a coupon for a free oil change. Not the the dealer I bought the car from. They have done nothing but send me emails to buy another car.

Just saw this on yahoo news.
    Investigation: Toyota engages in deceptive legal tactics
    Toyota has routinely engaged in questionable, evasive and deceptive legal tactics when sued, frequently claiming it does not have information it is required to turn over and sometimes even ignoring court orders to produce key documents, an Associated Press investigation shows. Much more to the story> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_toyota_legal_tactics
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    here is the reason why I change my motor oil every 8000-9000 miles. 95% highway driving, always use cruise control, no traffic where I live, never drive over 70 mph, Oil look new after driving 5000 miles.

I see you get my points. It is not about saving money. The ways I drive doesn't need to change oil too early..

by the way my 2006 camry v6 is 190,000 miles. It drive like new.
  • cglowry69cglowry69 Member Posts: 1
    I did receive a Service Bulletin from Toyota that stated if the engine has 0W20 Synthetic Oil in it that it only needs to have the oil changed every 10K miles. I was also told this by the technician at a Toyota Dealer. Please note, this only applies to Synthetic Oil.
  • egannonegannon Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't anyone else think it strange that Toyota switched to every 10,000 miles for oil changes when they started giving out free oil changes for 2 years with new cars? The coupons I received with my new Camry in April said every 5,000 miles.
  • toyomiltoyomil Member Posts: 2
    I was told the same thing at the dealer when I went for the first 5000 miles service; the 2010 Toyota Camry have a special oil on it that need to be changed after 10000 miles.
  • toyomiltoyomil Member Posts: 2
    Well I was at the dealer for oil change because the light for maintenance was on and I was closed to 5,000 miles. All they do was tire rotation and they put a sticker to come back at 9,554 miles and when I asked about the oil change the tech told me 2010 Toyota Camry have special oil and need to be changed every 10,000 miles.
    Did all of you (with recall) get free oil change coupon/s? My local dealer is giving me a free oil change after 3 paid oil changes. They claim it will be the pricier synthetic. It better be since I am using synthetic now. Even though I am using the synthetic they are still giving me stickers on the windshield to come back in 5,000 miles. Seems like it would be easy to change the computer print out to 10,000. I guess we will have to continue resetting the warning light at 5000 miles rather then an option for 10,000.
    How long are you folks waiting in between oil changes? I got my last change after 9200 miles. I worry about the filter not being changed for 10,000 miles but Toyota told me that it was a special filter blah blah.....
    Toyota changed over to synthetic oil for the 2010-11 Camry. Concurrent with the change, oil change intervals have been increased to 10K miles or one year, whichever occurs first. I don't know if the maintenance reminder light can be reprogrammed to illuminate every 10K miles instead of 5K miles for early-production 2010 models.
    I just wish they would not of came out with that new filter for the 2010-11 Camry. Changing oil was one of the basics that I have always been able to do and save a little $. I have watched the video and still feel a little uneasy about doing it myself. Have not been able to find the oil synthetic 0-20w anywhere besides the dealer. Makes me think that thew move was to make more of us come to the dealer. I don't trust the local lube shops. Heck, I don't trust Toyota service center! I do like the 10K interval but as mentioned using the same filter for 10k worries me. A couple of mechanics told me to change the filter at 5k but that is opposite of what Toyota says.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    I have the 2011 Camry and couldn't believe the 10K mile oil change interval either....is that just because they give you a free oil change? Scary, is anyone really in the know on this...I don't know of any other car that recommends a 10K mile oil change!!!

Jimmy Drew
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:

I purchased a 2007 V6 XLE Camry new. I now have 63,000+ miles on the vehicle. The vehicle is serviced at the selling dealer every 3,000 miles. (Oil and filter changes.) ---- I also use a dealer recommended BG / MOA additive in the oil. (Oil and filters are cheap, engines are expensive!) ---- My vehicle does not use any oil between oil and filter changes. The engine is very smooth and quiet! ---- I DO NOT BELIEVE in extended oil and filter changes! ------ You make your own choice! ------ Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    The 2010-11 Camry uses synthetic oil, like a lot of cars do nowadays, so it's safe to go 10K miles. But you can always do it more often, but certainly not every 3K miles!
  • jlmnjlmn Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    There is no need to fret over changing your oil in your Camry more that once during the 10,000 mile Oil Change Interval (OCI). Ten thousand miles is about the longest I'd go, BMW offering ~15,000 mile change intervals but the oil can be depleted before then.

The reason that Toyota still has the programming for 5,000 mile service intervals is because they want you to bring your car in for tire rotations and any other inspections they see necessary. They need to keep bringing you to the dealer for something.Oils (specifically synthetic) as well as car engines have become more advanced allowing for extended OCIs.

Bringing your car to Jiffy Lube every 5,000 miles will require you spending twice as much money maintaining it (simple math :P ). It also is less detrimental to the environment changing your oil less often, for all your "greenies" out there :D.

I could imagine doing a 5,000 mile OCI during the initial break in period, then switching to the manufacturer's suggested 10k. When the engine ages (especially past 200k, if not a little sooner) switching to a heavier 5w30 or 0w30, particularly if the car is leaking, or possibly doing ~5k OCIs; or whatever combinations of the two.

Tschüß!
  • jimmykimbrelljimmykimbrell Member Posts: 1
    Mobil ONE makes 0-20w oil
    Walmart now carries the Mobil ONE 0-20w oil in my area. I still worry about messing up with the oil rings etc.. during an oil change. Plus I get a good deal having my oil changed at the dealer. They include tire rotation, topping fluids, vacuum and car wash. Only had 4 oil changes since Oct, 2009 and two were free because of the pedal recall.

Has anyone with a recalled Toyota (petal/acceleration) been contacted about a class action? I am told that the cars that were recalled lost value because of all the bad press and the recall itself.
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2011
    What is this idiot lawyer planning to do, sue the media? Oh, that they would try!
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2011
    pixshooter, article you linked is from February 2010. Toyota resale prices came back pretty fast. Once media induced paranoia died out nobody sells Toyotas at discount anymore. Also because of Japanese earthquake expect to pay a premium on new or used Toyota.

Toyota Unintended Acceleration smearing campaign was totally baseless.

U.S. Department of Transportation Releases Results from NHTSA-NASA Study of Unintended Acceleration in Toyota Vehicles

"NASA found no evidence that a malfunction in electronics caused large unintended accelerations," said Michael Kirsch, Principal Engineer at the NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC).
  • gwatsgwats Member Posts: 1
    I would strongly suggest you change the oil every 5000 miles not because the oil is dirty, but it will also be a good time to rotate those tires for even wear. The 0W-20 synthetic oil can be purchased @ O'Rielly Autoparts. The filter is really easy to replace as long as you have the proper tool, available through Amazon. :):)
    edited April 2012
    gwats- I get the 5,000 mile rotation but have been getting oil changed around 8,500 miles. I told the dealer about my concern about not changing the filter for 10k and they told me that the oil and filter are made for it. Guess a lot of us will find out later :-0
    I think I mentioned in the past that Walmart has been carrying 0W-20 for awhile. I still have not changed my own oil. Heck, I have only had a few oil changes since I bought the car in Oct 2009.

How often are the rest of you changing your 0W-20 oil?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited April 2012
    Even though I got the letter from Toyota (not the dealer), saying it is fine to use synthetic and only change 1x per year or 10,000 miles, I still change mine every 6 months (about 5,000 miles for me). I am using 0w-20 Toyota Synthetic and Toyota filter. But I am doing it myself, and I just paid $5 per quart for Toyota 0W20 (vs. nearly $6 at Walmart for Mobil 1 0W20).

Cheap insurance for me, but that's me. Although considering all the other car manufacturers have similar 1x per year, 10,000 mile oil change intervals, I probably would go one year IF I did not change the oil myself. Many articles on the subject show the synthetic oil is fine to go to 10,000 miles.

If you really are concerned about going that long, spend the $20-30 and send your oil to a lab and have it analyzed to see if it is still good at 9 or 10,000 miles for a one time piece of mind.