Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Outback Snow Tire/Wheel Size Question

kamakirigtkamakirigt Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Subaru
Recently aquired a 2010 Outback with standard 225/60x17 all seasons. I believe the normal -1 snow tire/wheel combination would be 215/70x16. I have been offered four almost-new Blizzaks mounted on steel wheels. They were for a Forester but did not get used. The size is 215/60x16 - a slightly smaller circumference than what I think is the right fit. Is this close enough; or no cigar? Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    The Blizzaks must be from a 2008 or older Forester - that car did use somewhat smaller tires than even the new Forester, which uses a 225/55R17 stock (or 225/60R16 for the base model). This tire is 5.3% smaller than the stock tire, which is pretty significant (it will put your speedometer off by ~3 mph, so if it reads 60 mph, you are going about 57 mph). The only real issue here is that your odometer will rack up miles more quickly. Other than that, you could use them because the rims will work just fine.

Also, if the price is a steal, you could get them, mount a properly sized Blizzak (or other winter tire), and sell the off-sized set to one of a million 2003-2008 Forester (or other) owners out there. ;)

If you want a tire that is a near-perfect fit, go with 225/65R16 - this is an even better fit than 215/70R16.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The tire isn't as tall, so you give up a tiny bit of ground clearance, too.

If anything I'd want to go in the other direction, up to about 3% bigger is usually within tolerance.
  • dockrattdockratt Member Posts: 2
    just took my sub. up the mt into snow, just about wraped it around a tree. Factory supplied brig-potenza summer tires. No traction period, wont even pull out on flat ground. would love to find cheap painted steel rims w/ a good mud/snow tire for winter use and save factory wheels and tires for summer. OR a good all season to mount on factory wheels. 225-145 r 18
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Go to tirerack.com

The recently had a tire/wheel package with steelies that should work.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That's why they're called "summer" tires. :P

I've got the same problem with my '09 WRX, although they're Dunlop tires. Since you got summer tires, I'd opt for a set of winter tires, not all-seasons. I doubt you can find 17x7 steel wheels with the proper bolt pattern or offset. NASIOC or LegacyGT.com both save sections where members sell things. I'd check there for wheels and/or tires.

Bob
    My Miata has summer tires and it doesn't even leave the driveway if there's even a dusting of snow. They're not even very good in the rain - my wife says she nearly spun out once.

New rule - with summer tires, it stays parked in wet weather, period.
  • dockrattdockratt Member Posts: 2
    talked to several tire dealers and got the same bs that no tire man. makes a sno/ice tire, and if they did they cant get them for they are all sold to the midwest and northern states.
    Thanks 2 this website and Eavin @ tire rack and u guys I now own sno tires and rims b hear Wed. Thanx again dockratt PS I bought the car to drive 2 the ski slopes and its my only car, darn fun on dri pavement
  • kamakirigtkamakirigt Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the excellent responses! About a month into owning the 10 Outback and we are very pleased. Even our 14 year old isn't any more embarrassed to be seen with us than ususal.
  • macdawgmacdawg Member Posts: 6
    I live in Southern Oregon, where it's mostly decent weather, with occasional ice and snow. I do like to go to nearby mountains to ski. The Outback comes standard with Continental ContiProContact. My first review search came up with a slew of negative reviews. Another search was less harsh. On Tirerack, the average review was 6.9. My question: should I pony up the dough to get a dedicated winter tire, such as general altimax RT, or michelin x-ice or bridgestone blizzak? Also, the guy at my local tire store suggested I do down in size to 16 inch instead of 17 (more choice) and get some rims to swap out. I would love to hear some feedback on these questions! Thanks.
  • april675april675 Member Posts: 9
    Wondering if the navigation system is worth it...read some complaints about it on another site.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure that 16" wheels will clear the brakes. I would check on Tirerack.com to see if they sell a 16" rim to clear the brakes.
    -mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I'm not sure that 16" wheels will clear the brakes. I would check on Tirerack.com to see if they sell a 16" rim to clear the brakes.

The Base 2.5i model has 16" steel wheels. I'm pretty sure the brakes are the same on all trim levels w/ the 2.5i (and possibly the 3.6R).
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    edited January 2011
  • chea89chea89 Member Posts: 57
    I have made it up my steep driveway with these tires-bought from tirerack mounted on steel wheels with TPMS installed. Dealer had to register the new sensors. Tires are excellent-really get to appreciate the snow capability of my Subie. I live in NW Connecticut--huge amount of snow so far this year-no problems.
    No kidding - my in-laws are up there and they've been buried, even stranded at times.

Hang in there and be careful even with the awesome combo of AWD+snows!
This discussion has been closed.