Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    It looks a little bit like a baby BMW. Not sure I like the "eyebrows" on the taillights but not finding it offensive either. Hopefully the rest of the car looks good. If Buick can do to a smaller car what the CTS did for Caddy, then perhaps FINALLY there is some good stuff coming here!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Rocky, what are you doing now. Obviously you are a great GM fan, and maybe a little Acura from the past. I had some great GMs years ago.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I found the chrome accents to the taillights a good feature.
    I think that looks like a good layout.
    The name "Verano" doesn't hit me very well; I'd like Excelle better. I'd place Verano right there with Lucerne. as a name.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Buick seems to be coming around. Still have a problem with image and stodgy name of Buick. A long time GM fan from the past, but never Buick. Name sounds like a burp or something else objectionable. If I bought a Buick Lacrosse, would I have to wear a hat while driving, or a cap with flaps?
    >would I have to wear a hat while driving, or a cap with flaps

No more than if you bought a Toyota lexus of infinity. :P

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    "......If I bought a Buick Lacrosse, would I have to wear a hat while driving, or a cap with flaps? "

Don't forget to dye your hair greyish blue. ;)

Seriously, a leather jacket and some shades do me fine :shades:
    I like thin leather driving gloves.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    If I bought a Buick Lacrosse, would I have to wear a hat while driving, or a cap with flaps?

No, but you have to agree to drive no faster than 15 mph under the speed limit, always drive in the left lane on he interstate, and keep your left turn signal activated at all times. A "We Are Spending Our Children's Inheritance" bumper sticker is optional, but strongly recommended. :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, he could go more than 15 mph but only to cut someone off who was tooling along at 40 or better. THEN go back down to 15.

If your head is higher than the steering wheel you can only have probationary Buick status.

Is it me or as Buick is coming out with better vehicles they're giving them worse names?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I like thin leather driving gloves.

I got these for Christmas:

Hopefully an M car is next... :D:D:D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Meggy May and I are both silly happy over Saab being saved.

Can't ya tell?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The name "Verano" doesn't hit me very well; I'd like Excelle better. I'd place Verano right there with Lucerne. as a name.

While Verano is nothing great, Lucerne still reminds me of milk containers. Link that with Buick's image and it is the kiss of death in my mind.

If this vehicle is a new premium small Buick, then also pick a great name and perhaps the reputation starts a climb upward (for other than current fans). I'd agree that while Verano is not offensive, it has no positive appeal for me either.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    WOW!!!!!! Wonder what the front looks like??? Got any more pics, imidazol97??? :surprise:

-Rocky
    That is music to Rock's ears!!!! I'm very very happy to hear that!!!! Rock wants to someday be a "Saab Snob" a inside joke nickname to some of my friends who own Saabs. I want that new Saab 9-5 so damn badly!!!! MAN!!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    xrunner2,

I started working for a home improvement company doing sales earlier this month. ;) I still respect Acura, but am a bigger GM fan now than ever!!! We have enough kick butt products in the GM line-up, I don't really desire anything from another car maker. If I won the Megamillions (damn it I forgot to play last night :P ) I'd maybe buy a 1994 Ferrari 512 TR or F-355 Spyder as a toy!!! The new Saab 9-5 with XWD and a stick would be my daily driver though and trust me that damn car would be taken to a tuner shop and modified to the point one would think they were on a Saab jet aircraft!!!! ;) :shades:

-Rocky
    They are bigger than a Saturn L-Series. The 9-3 is bigger than my Grand Prix and a Saturn L-Series isn't as big or long as my 2000 Grand Prix GTP Coupe :confuse:

-Rocky
    Cute pooch, iluv!!! :)

-Rocky
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    They make driving gloves for the Wii now?
    :P
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I agree about the new Saab 9-5 Aero! Whoo! I'm there!

That Chow Chow likes to subdue our 20-lb. Pomeranian by neatly placing her mouth around his neck and clamping down. Meggy May's a doll!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

>. got these for Christmas:

I know you realize there's a big difference between a set of driving gloves and a whole car as a Christmas present?

>while Verano is not offensive, it has no positive appeal for me either.

I wonder if we are similar in demographic data. Over 39 (by a lot) and that is why the name Verano doesn't affect me. I wonder if they did market research on that name and found a younger demographic liked it.

To me Verano sounds too much like Murano, a car whose styling I really dislike.

As for my preference of the two mentioned in the article, Excelle may be similar to a Hyundai or Kia name.

I have to admit, thought, as much as some of us Buick fans have felt good about old Buick names like Electra 225 and Park Avenue and Super and Special, there may be a need for a new name that says "WOW" to a younger set. I suspected the Lucerne name was picked because it had some connection to leSabre as a word. I don't know if that may have helped sales or hurt sales.

Just as Honda picked Fit for their tiny car name, I would like to see a short name that carries a good value in the name: Verity might be good.

>They make driving gloves for the Wii

I think instead of driving a Wii, he's looking for something that will make him say "WHeeeeee" when he's driving it. :)

I recall the Cadillac commercials for the CTS? about "Does your car turn you ON?" I think Roadrunner wants a car that turns him on instead of his turning _it_ on like a Wii. ;)

These are artist concepts of what was seen in a concept car showing.
    Read and see pictures at Inside News/

I wonder if we are similar in demographic data. Over 39 (by a lot) and that is why the name Verano doesn't affect me. I wonder if they did market research on that name and found a younger demographic liked it.

To me, the name "Verano" sounds like a gigolo character out of "The Real Housewives of the Joisey Shore" or something like that! I never did like "Lucerne" either...to me it conjures up images of that diet ice milk crap my grandmother used to buy in the 1970's when she was trying to lose weight.

I'm glad they brought back the name "Regal", and the car it's being used on seems to be pretty good. Regal was probably the least-tarnished of Buick names in more recent years, as it tended to be the most youthful of Buick's sedans. My Dad bought his used '03 Regal when he was 57, and at the time that was the average age of a Regal owner. At the time, the average buyer age was more like 70 for the Century, Park Ave, and LeSabre! I think Buick also did a better job at keeping the Regal out of rental fleets than they did with the Century and LeSabre (although Dad's is a former rental car)

I wonder what the average buyer age is for the LaCrosse and the Lucerne?
    rock - that should be Saab Snaab.

I think some old Buick names would work well. Wildcat is one but it would have to be on the right car. Electra could still be a go - put it on a hybrid!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I'm a fan of the classic Buick names - Special, Century, Super, Roadmaster, and Limited. However, I do love the name Park Avenue though it really goes back to only about 1977 or so as a luxury package for the Electra.

I'm in my early 50's and agree with you on the name situation.

I also like Verity better than Lucerne or Verano.

But of course the most important thing is the car looking that good everywhere else, and driving that well also. It does seem that GM now understands what they need to do, the issue is execution.
    Name "Buick" still does not sound right for "new age" and bringing in younger, young buyers. Need to modify that name, keep "B" for first letter, and make name more younger sounding, nice sounding.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    that is so bad, literally and figuratively
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hmmm, xRunner has a nice ring to it.

You can wait until the second generation comes out so you can drive around in an xRunner2. :shades:

Not sure how well the ABC's have worked out for Scion.

(yeah, I know Toyo Taco fans would yell).
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think Electra would make a great name for a hybrid. Take the Volts driveline and put it in a slightly larger car would be perfect.
    >I think Electra would make a great name for a hybrid

That's the best name Idea I've seen!
    The numerical suffix could be based on ampere-hours of the battery packs.

Electra 4025

My wife still wants a Saab, I'd like to have a SportCombi for my winter car.

I like that idea with the ampere-hours on the name.

Might be to the next generation what 409 means to ours.
    Get one now while they are still cheap. You could get 9-3 or 9-5 sportcombis with manual transmissions although they are a little rare. The 9-5 Aero Combi with a 5 speed manual is a very quick big wagon. The five speed is a little notchy though really needs the newer six speed that the 9-3 got.
    I never did know what the 225 meant in "Electra 225" on that long, beautiful Buick.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    Length. In feet. ;)

I agree, that would be a great name for a Buick using Volt tech.

Buick had some cool names...bringing them back won't hurt. Everyone doesn't have to abide by the alphanumeric fad.
    Name got to start with a "B" not an x. GM has used names of places in Europe for its models for many years. The derivation of the name Chevrolet is Swiss. Bowtie badge of Chevrolet car possibly came from France or Switzerland.

There has got to be a great sounding name of something in France, Switzerland that would sound great, be classy, imply luxury and be elegant. "Buick" has none of these qualities and instead sounds dopey, dorky. Think of names Lexus, Infiniti and Acura as examples of brilliant name branding.
    Originally the "225" was the length, in inches. However, when the Electra first came out for 1959, I think there was a base Electra and a more upscale Electra 225. I don't know if they did anything to the 225 to make it longer than a base Electra, or if they were both the same length, but Buick chose to capitalize on the length for the 225.

From 1962 onward they called them all Electra 225, and the nicer models would be Electra 225 Limited, Electra 225 Park Ave, etc. In some years, the cars probably were a bit less than 225". In 1961, for example, all of GM's big cars except for Chevy got shrunken a bit, so I'm sure a '61 Electra might've come in around 223-224". And by 1975-76, an Electra 225 was around 233"!

I forget now when they dropped the 225 designation, but I believe it persisted for a few years on the downsized C-body, even though they were "only" around 221" long!

When the shrunken 1985 C-body came out, the terms Electra 300, Electra 380, and Electra 430 were used briefly, in reference to the 3.0 and 3.8 V-6es they used, and the Olds 4.3 Diesel. So you could have cars like an Electra 300 Limited or an Electra 380 Park Avenue, etc. They dropped that 300/380/430 stuff pretty quickly though.
    I hate the alphanumeric names. I understand why the marketing folks want to use them but they are still dumb.

Buick Electra 230(mpg of course ) :P Sounds good to me.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Buick is the name of the pre-GM division company's founder David Dunbar Buick.
    Chevrolet is the name of early race car driver Louis Chevrolet.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to talk with diehard Chevy fans in the Chicago area. If you are a long-time loyalist, a Chevy collector or have dramatically customized your Chevy, and you live near Chicago, please email pr@edmunds.com no later than February 10, 2010, and provide your daytime phone number and a few words about your passion for the "bow tie" brand.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    Unless a company has a history of them (the Germans and Jag, pretty much, along some oddities we don't get), alphanumerics don't work. Switching from word names to numbers and letters looks desperate to my jaded eyes. GM shouldn't do it...it has plenty of good heritage names to use.
    The numerical suffix could be based on ampere-hours of the battery packs.

...or on the number of miles you can go without using the gas engine.... "The Electra 123!".
    Buick had some cool names...bringing them back won't hurt. Everyone doesn't have to abide by the alphanumeric fad.

The Buick...

Ampere
    Jolt
    Watter
    Lectromag
    Pulse
    Shocker
    Static
    Bolt
    Thunder
    None of those are as good as Electra.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    IMO, the name Electra would be fantastic for a volt derived Buick.
    Yup it would need to be a little larger but only a little.

I think you could still get by with four seats though. A luxury four seater with good Buick styling, and hey I think some of the Buick styling is good now, good gas mileage and a bit more premium to go with the premium price.

Yeah I can see them selling a good number of those.
    Switching from word names to numbers and letters looks desperate to my jaded eyes. GM shouldn't do it...it has plenty of good heritage names to use.

I'd disagree. My hypothesis is that there are a lot more potential customers who DON'T like GM than there are who long for past GM names (especially Buick as the demographic is very old). Move the old reminders out of the way and come up with some new names that provide an impression that GM and Buick are "really different now". That's also why I would support GM renaming the entire corporation, even a slight variation to distance them from the GM pre-bankruptcy. If you already like Buick you aren't going to not buy if the vehicle name changes. If you don't like Buick you don't want anything to do with a say... Park Avenue (which screams "old people" to many), but a much more modern car with a totally new name may interest them.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....I like thin leather driving gloves."

No need. the leather is grippy enough, AND.......it comes with a heated steering wheel!!! :P