Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
The upcoming 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee will receive a substantial makeover which ought to make it a much more desirable SUV. Among other things it will get a new V-6 engine producing 280 HP and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, substantially more than the outgoing engine, and with increased fuel efficiency. The gas tank has been increased to almost 25 gallons which will give the vehicle a cruising range of over 500 miles. Impressive!

Additionally, there will be a V-8 option with increased power and torque (360 HP and 390 lb.-ft. of torque) for the Hemi engine, albeit with a fuel penalty. Both engines are mated with a five-speed automatic transmission.

The exterior styling has been considerably modernized and it looks really sharp. The interior likewise has been greatly improved with a host of soft-touch materials. There is reported to be a new nine speaker Alpine sound system against the backdrop of improved NVH, largely as a consequence of markedly increased rigidity with more spot welds and arc welds.

There is also a new optional suspension with air-lift capabilities so that the maximum ground clearance is potentially 11.1 inches, a class leader. Additionally, there is a new Selec-Terrain system, a rotary controller that comes with models having the top--of-the-line Quadra-Drive II 4x4 system. This allows the driver to "dial in" optimal operating parameters for driving in mud, sand, snow, over rocks and on the highway.

The new Grand Cherokee will be released sometime in 2010 as a 2011 model. I for one am looking forward to seeing it!

Comments

• xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    There hasn't been a whole lot of buzz, at least here on Edmunds. The little I have read they talk about "luxury". Does that mean higher price? What about room compared to 2010? Any word?

Really fuzzy on when they will be available. I have seen that it was delayed until September from July, but one article I ready from the Detroit auto shows said they would be available in the second quarter of this year.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The new GC is definitely going upscale compared to the present iteration. It is also larger than the current vehicle. There will be three trim levels: Laredo, Limited and Overland. I would think they would have to keep the price competitive although I suspect the Overland will be on the pricey side.

It is rumored the car will go on sale mid-year but this is not set in stone. I would think Chrysler would want to start making it available for sale ASAP once all the testing and road readiness evaluations are completed.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I've also got my eye on this vehicle. From the pictures it looks great inside and out, the new V6 engine looks impressive and the new features they're making available are very intriguing.

One thing that I've read that's disappointing is the 3500 lb. tow rating with the V6 engine. Most crossovers are capable of at least this much (i.e. MDX = 5000 lbs., Pilot = 4000, etc.). Hopefully they'll have a tow package to go with the V6 that will increase it to at least 5000 lbs. The even stronger hemi in 2011 would be a lot of fun to drive, but I'd be willing to trade the added fun for better fuel efficiency, as long as I could get better towing capability when I'll occasionally need it.

I'm also not impressed with the 5 speed transmission. Why they wouldn't have at least 6 forward gears like most competing models, I have no idea.

The other concern I have is the future of Chrysler. Jeep is probably their most desirable brand if at some point the new company decides to just focus on cars, so anyone buying a Jeep should be OK in terms of parts availability, servicing and resale value for the forseeable future. But it's still something to consider especially if this recession lasts a lot longer than everyone expects. Hard to predict 6 months out let alone 5 years which is my normal ownership period.

Don't mean to be too negative here but these are my concerns. I'll be very anxious to see the options list on each trim level and the pricing.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The 2011 JGC will be the only luxury cuv that offers V8 power and RWD. To me, that's significant. I would be willing to bet that the pricing will be about the same as the 2010s, comparably equiped. Even if Chrysler goes belly up, somebody will want Jeep.
    When buying cars and SUV's over the years I've always purchased the most powerful engine available for that model. But I have to say that the new V6 here looks interesting. It's a brand new design and it appears to have a great combination of mileage plus power.

We have plenty of time before the new GC is introduced, and I'm sure there will plenty of reviews that come out before then, covering both engine choices. And if they are positive as you would expect them to be, when the vehicles hit the dealer's showrooms I would still want to test drive both before making a final decision.

I would definitely want the AWD for winter traction here in Minnesota, plus it comes in handy when pulling the boat out of the water on a steep, slippery ramp. Anxious to learn more about the towing capability on the V6.
    Doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz out there, other than how important this is to Chrysler. Did production start last week? Or is it starting today? I have read both at different times.

I thought Jeep would have had more info available since ordering is open and production "may" have started, but there web site still has a location to sign up for updates.

Any news?
    If you haven't already check out the WK2 thread at JeepGarage.org for lots of buzz and the latest updates.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2010
    The car was introduced today by the CEO of Fiat and the Gov. of Mich.

The base price will be $500 less than last years. There will also be a GC SR8 with aprox 500hp. Later this years.

The 2011 GC will be in showrooms in the middle of June.

It truly looks like a great car.

The CEO of Fiat says it will be the best Jeep every built and the best in class by far.

My real concern is that he also says it is the first Jeep to have Fiat input and Fiat
    quality.

If true about the Fiat quality it means the new Jeep GC will be a real POS as Fiat quality has never been as good as the worst American car ever built!

I hope the CEO of Fiat is wrong and no Fiat quality finds its way into the new Jeep.

Because the Jeep looks great just as it is.

I know I'm going to buy one.

The only thing Fiat built that really worked was the Italian WWII tank.

It had 4 gears for reverse and one forward gear (just in case they got attacked from the rear)
    Well, let's just hope this Fiat/Jeep has four forward gears and one reverse gear in case they get attacked from the front!!!
  • y2kyamr6y2kyamr6 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2011 Cherokees are going to be on the lot by the end on June. Official launch date is June 20th. Just drove them the other day for training. All I have to say is WOW, the interior is excellent, the ride surpasses the RX350. There will probably be a 6 speed trans released late 2010 or in 2011 due to the rush of trying to get it into showrooms ASAP. I would put the new Grand Cherokee up against ANY SUV. Pricing is going to be lower then 2010 models, priced from the very well equipped Laredo $32,000 to the Overland 43,000. Jeep has a hit on their hands.
  • y2kyamr6y2kyamr6 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2011 Cherokees are going to be on the lot by the end on June. Official launch date is June 20th. Just drove them the other day for training. All I have to say is WOW, the interior is excellent, the ride surpasses the RX350. There will probably be a 6 speed trans released late 2010 or in 2011 due to the rush of trying to get it into showrooms ASAP. I would put the new Grand Cherokee up against ANY SUV. Pricing is going to be lower then 2010 models, priced from the very well equipped Laredo $32,000 to the Overland 43,000. Jeep has a hit on their hands.
    Thanks, buddy! I for one am looking forward to this vehicle. I had been interested in the new Subaru Outback but this vehicle has a suspension defect which is causing steering wheel shake which Subaru has so far been unable or unwilling to fix.

Am very much looking forward to the new Grand Cherokee!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    nice advert hopejeep pays you well
    edited June 2010
    What's your problem? Got a shaky Outback? Or do you consider a shaking steering wheel at highway speeds a normal phenomenon? Personally, I don't.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    ????
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    I question if Jeep has a hit! Considering Jeep/Chrysler's history of poor quality, I think it is questionable as to how many people will be willing to shell out more than $30K for his vehicle when there are so many proven vehicles available. Sure the new model will draw some immediate interest, but I suspect the prices will drop precipitously in the near future. Personally, having been stung by Chrysler "quality" in the past, I don't think I could ever purchase any Chrysler product. I really don't see how anyone can equate Fiat with quality. If MB couldn't impact Chrysler quality, why would anyone expect Fiat to have a positive influence? Perhaps Chrysler and Fiat will prove me wrong, but only time will tell.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited June 2010
    We just finished our ride and drives and had a chance to test out the 2011 Grand Cherokees. For anyone interested here's a couple videos I shot of an Overland with the 5.7L V8 and the Quadra Lift suspension driving over some ramps.

Video 1
    Video 2

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• aces_fullaces_full Member Posts: 16
    Car Man - do you have any idea what the residual, money factor, and discounts will be for a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo for 12k/36month? I know that newer models don't usually lease well (esp grand cherokees also), but I've heard from 2 dealers that this potentially will have a good lease program. Any insight?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I need to see the torque curve for the new V6. According to specs, it develops max HP at 6800 rpm, which has got to at or near redline for an OHV V6. It's impressive to tout 290hp, but if you need to wind it up real tight to get it then I don't think it's much to crow about. What's it making at 2500-4000 rpm's, which is where most people are going to drive it at?
    I was interested when I first heard about it, and decided against buying a 2010 GC since a new model was coming out. I doubt if I'm in the market now. Also, I understand you can't get QuadraTrac II with the V6, only the V8. The V8 is dated, and even with DOD gets poor fuel mileage.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Meant OHC of course.
  • grinningrinnin Member Posts: 13
    curb weight of 4660#?? I thought a big advantage of "crossovers" was the weight savings from a lighter duty frame/chassis? Curb weight for the 2010 GC Laredo 4wd is 4470#. Ford Edge is 4265#
  • jmellonjmellon Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the 2011 GC will have push button start?
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited July 2010
    Yes it does. All models (at least in Canada) including the cheapest most basic model will have Passive Entry and Keyless Go as standard equipment.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know what the max. cargo height of the GC is?
  • jmellonjmellon Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any additional information, features/when, on the Garmin Nav option listed as late availability on the Jeep web site for the 2011 GC? Is it worth waiting for, or will the standard Nav option be better?
    jmellon, this may answer some of your questions:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_navigation.htm
    I went to a Jeep dealer a couple of days ago and had my first look at a new 2011 JGC Limited. I have not yet driven it but on visual inspection it was a mighty impressive vehicle!

The fit and finish, panel tolerances, interior trim, switchgear, etc. were all very high-end and more suggestive of a M-B or BMW or Range Rover than a customary Detroit offering. The doors even shut with that solid Germanic "thunk" that suggests quality. The recent Dar and Driver road test of the vehicle indicated a 70 mph cruising noise level of 65 dB which is exceedingly quiet for any vehicle and extremely impressive.

I really like the huge gas tank and cruising range, the availability of H.I.D. Bi-Xenon headlights, the Garmin NAV option, the class-leading AWD system with terrain selectability, the high-end audio, the memory seats and heated steering wheel, the sumptuous leather seats with heaters and ventilation . . . the list goes on.

Clearly, this vehicle has to be considered very strongly against any of the competition. Early owner reviews are very positive with a high level of satisfaction.

While not inexpensive in nominal terms, the standard features and available options along with the overall quality level suggest the value quotient on the new Grand Cherokee is very high.

Without a doubt Detroit is getting its act together and is now building class-leading vehicles which are more than the equal of the imported competition.
    Anyone know if the Quadra-Lift System will still be available on the Laredo X and Limited? The Jeep web site says so in the Off-Road Adventure Package II, but if you build one on the web site it doesn't show as an option for either. It shows as standard on the Overland. I have seen a few Overland window stickers on the web site and it shows there, even for vehicles "in transit". I don't see it on any Limited or Laredo X.

Edmunds says "late availability". The Jeep Garage sites shows that it was available for order in July.

One dealer I have traded e-mails with says maybe by December as "late availability" means they are trying to decide if all options will be offered on all the models they initially planned. I am sure they are trying to sell a vehicle now, not later.

Another dealer that I have dealt with (test drive) hasn't responded to my e-mail. Again, they are trying to pull the sale forward instead of me waiting.

I was really impressed with the vehicle. It is very quiet, even at highway speed.
    I test drove a few weeks ago with the intent that I wouldn't buy that day. They didn't have what I wanted but did want to see what I could get for my trade. Then I started getting the runaround, and "what if I made just a CRAZY deal", and must have talked to the salesman, two asst. managers, and the manager, before I got out of there. I made it very clear I wasn't looking to purchase that day, and they didn't have exactly what I wanted. I guess they know if you leave, you may or may not be back.

I am hoping to move on it in late September or October. Hopefully I will know more about Quadra-Lift by then. If I had to get the Overland, I could maybe swing an Overland with no extras, but really wouldn't want to go up from there. I guess I will also have to decide if the Quada-Lift is worth it to me.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Since my previous note I also have driven this vehicle to a maximum speed of 86 mph. There was no wind noise at all and very little road noise, even on a patchy, rough road surface. The new JGC is an extraordinarily quiet vehicle and if the noise level testing of the just-out Car and Driver magazine is to be believed, the new Jeep is as quiet as the new Rolls-Royce Ghost: 65 dB cabin noise level at 70 mph highway cruise! Very, very impressive.

What I did notice was mechanical noise from the engine (3.6) upon acceleration. In my opinion this engine is just adequate for the weight of the vehicle and no more. For my purposes I believe the 5.7 HEMI may be a better match.

Otherwise, my impression of the vehicle is extremely positive. The climate control system is excellent, the ventilated seats a boon on a hot day, the audio system is superb in all respects and allows downloading of .WAV files to the HDD. The Garmin NAV system is also excellent.

As far as the air suspension is concerned, this is not yet available and I have mixed thoughts about it. While over 11" of ground clearance would be occasionally very useful, the experience with other manufacturers using an air-type suspension has not been overly positive and their systems, which utilize inflatable bladders filled with air to raise and lower the vehicle, have not been particularly reliable. Whether Jeep has been able to overcome these limitations I do not know but their AWD/off-road systems are otherwise impecccable.

Overall, I think the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is the best buy in the high-end/luxury SUV class.
  • jj2011jj2011 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone i just bought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo the X package. First off when you buy one you get a free $500 spending limit through mopar which has some great parts. And second i'm stuck!! The new jeep doesnt have any aftermarket parts besides whats on mopar at least i havnt found any yet. Can anyone help me find:
    1. Aftermarket Parts website - ie Headlights, interior parts ect.
    2. Front Lower Fascia - without buying the entire bumper.

Please help i wanna hook up my SUV and for anyone planning on buying one i traded in my 2007 CTS for one and to be honest i havnt thought twice since. Granted for the money you pay you can buy a Mercedes or BMW but at the end of the day it will cost you a 10th of what it would cost to fix a Mercedes if it breaks down. Also it really does get considerably good gas mileage, is comfortable, has great on and off road settings, and you can upgrade nearly everything through mopar. If you have any questions or are thinking about buying one let me know.
  • towsontowson Member Posts: 1
    Hey, thanks for a great post.

I just purchased the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo X package too.

Two quick questions (thanks for your help)

1) How did you get the $500 MOPAR credit??? It wasn't offered by the sales guy?
    2) Is there an aftermarket device that will unlock the DVD player so that I can play DVDs? It drives me nuts that they install a DVD and then deactivate it! I heard it's called a "lockpick" is that right???

Please drop me a line - wjtian@mac.com

Thanks!
    Just an update... I see several 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X with the Off Road Adventure Package II showing as "In Transit" to one of the local dealers.
    The window stickers do show the Quadra-Lift system as part of this package.

I did think about priggly's comment about reliability and will have to take a look
    when one is around and see what I think and is it worth getting for that very, very occasional use.
  • gordy61gordy61 Member Posts: 2
    great to see this forum! Ihave many question, first, i just purchased 2011 JGCx package i cane and love it but can,t stand the 18' wheels. Does any have the specs for this wheel , i wish to up size the wheel to20' with after market rims & tires. Also i,m intersested the $500 mopar offer i read on this forum, can someone inform of the details.I live in canada and wonder if this applies to canadien JGC ?
  • bookitty1bookitty1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new car purchase in the next one year or so, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (2011) has my interest. I was just hoping for any incites and opinions from those who have this vehicle. Thanks!
  • gordy61gordy61 Member Posts: 2
    HI, i just bought my 2011 jgc in july and is totally blown away by this vehicle!!!! It ,s the best riding jeep i've ever been in . The styling is truly wonderful and up to date , fit & finish is second to none. The new 3.6 engine is smooth and shifts effortlessly , gas milage is aprox. 21mpg ( only 1550 km on vehicle) city driving. Ipurchased the lardeo x package which has many outstanding features but not all the bells & whistles The only issue that bothers me are the ugly wheel package jeep offers, i will change them in the spring with after market wheels. The jeep engineers finally did their homework and design a vehicle that blows away the compition in my opinion . Hope this review expresses how sold i am on this vehicle. Gord
  • 1pt21jigowatts1pt21jigowatts Member Posts: 25
    I am considering getting my 3rd Cherokee, and 2nd GC. I have a 1999 Limited and am considering a 2011. I'm looking to purchase, but do not see a "prices paid" forum? JJ2011, do you mind me asking how much paid?
  • localizerlocalizer Member Posts: 6
    Well I took the plunge and picked up a 2011 GC Limited. Options were the 20" wheels and tires, the 5.7L Hemi and Blackberry Pearl paint. I am blown away with the ride, power and all the gadgets. It has taken 2 weeks to learn almost everything. It's like owning a MB. I also noted that MT compared it to the Land Rover. Came up a bit shy, but the Rover was also over $10K higher in cost. I have lodged one complaint with Jeep division of Chrysler. I constantly wear sunglasses to drive around in FL, and I am having a heck of a time seeing the "needles" on the instrument cluster. Forget seeing the speedo. You must take your eyes off the road for many seconds in order to determine your speed. But, yes if you have the digital speed turned on it is ok. But I don't think this is safe for others who don't have that feature. The glare on the instrument panel is terrible. Why would you have a black background and black needles on the instruments. There is a "tiny" red line on each needle that you need reading glasses to see. This is the one and only complaint I have. It's quiet and squeak free. And with the Hemi, it hauls butt when you ask for it. Only have 725 miles on it, so keeping my foot out of it. With the ride, it is very hard to tell how fast you are going. And takes "very little" throttle to get you up to city speeds, I'm talking just barely touching it to do 45MPH. I have added the Clear Bra on the front bumper area and the nice chrome sill plates. Still waiting for the bug deflector, back ordered. Then when the money allows, the chrome tube steps. Just having the key fob in your pocket is all that's needed to start, stop open and close the doors. Pretty kool. More to come as the miles and first trip takes place. :)
    The Limited I have does.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    For those who bought the new 2011 Grand Cherokee, what are your gas mileage numbers looking like...both V6 and V8 models?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have a look at Jeep Grand Cherokee Real World MPG.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    edited September 2010
    With just 725 miles, all city driving, I'm getting 16mpg with the 5.7L Hemi.
    Hey localizer,

Congrats on the new Jeep. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and where you got yours?

Thanks,

Sean
    Well I test drove it at Crystal Motors in Brooksville FL. I was so pleased with it, that I stopped in the next day and drove it away. The price tag for it was $40K. But as I said, it compares so close to a $54K Land Rover and much less in price. No body flaws, great paint, quiet and has more power than I will ever need. It's a 2 wheel drive model, that's all I need here in FL. They gave me a great deal pricewise, so desided to get it. So many bells and whistles that I have never had even in a top of the line Buick. So much fun to drive and ease of use. Never having to take the key fob out of my pocket. The sound system is beautiful, and the nav system works great. And the way they have the dual exhaust set up, it's really neat. Has a little rumble for the hemi, and quiets right out at hiway speed. Bring on them Mustangs and Camaros. Adding tubular steps, bug deflector and clear bra on the front. Nice stainless steel sill plates and tinted the front windows to match the others. The panoramic sunroof is awesume. I thought the 20" wheel and tires would deter the ride, but I was wrong. So it's a keeper. Hope this helps.
  • laurieinalaskalaurieinalaska Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a JGC Laredo yesterday and was really impressed with this vehicle. I am interested in the Overland version and after looking around the net for what is available in the pacific nw, it seemed most the Overlands on the lot or coming soon have the v8 engine option. Are they just stacking the deck or is there a reason they are not sticking with the standard v6--Anybody have any insights about the "need" for v8 on this vehicle. I don't know much about cars, but the v6 seems like it would be sufficient. Thanks.
  • jeepers19jeepers19 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    ClarkKent, I hate to contradict you, but if anything, FIAT will add luster and quality to the Jeep brand. FIAT is the largest vehicle manufacturer in Italy, and it owns quality brands such as Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, and Lancia. As much as I totally love my Jeep Grand Cherokee (a 6.1 Hemi fully loaded), it would never compare to the style, luxury, power, and class of my Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. I welcome FIAT to make some much needed changes to the JCG, since Chrysler has done nothing more than turn it into an electrical issue nightmare.
    Thanks that does help. With the 20' wheels, what other options did you get and what was the sticker versus the $40k that you left spending? Did you go with their financing and if so, what terms?

Thanks again!
  • jj2011jj2011 Member Posts: 3
    Alright everyone i apologize for taking so long.

1. MOPAR - im sure you all know about the site but everyone wants to know about the $500 credit with mopar. From what i was told by the dealer when you buy a 2011 Jeep there are a bunch different credits and programs/promotions going since its so new and your buying it before 2011. As far as the credit goes i suggest contacting several dealers because i got it so i know with a little work it should be available. If you already paid for a jeep well i think calling your salesperson and asking may be worth a shot.

2. If you are buying one or any vehicle for that matter i just happen to be going to the dealer straight from work and they gave me either 500 or 1000 discount since im in the military so always say your in the military that also helps you get a car loan.

3. MYGIG Lockpick im still waiting on someone to help me out on this. For those who dont know the lockpick allows you to do everything from controlling your ipod through the screen, view the rear view camera while driving which is helpful if you tow alot, watch movies while driving (not suggested) but is great for kids, and some other things. If anyone knows where to get the lock pick please let me know i want it badly it hooks directly to the new iphone so i have been told.

Now for the individuals that are going to start an online riot because i just said watch movies while driving save it and grow up. Its public knowledge!! so if you have negative things to say thats fine and go tell someone who cares.

4. Alright aftermarket parts are going to be tough atleast for a little while. I was informed Jeep kept all of the information about this new jeep slightly private. Im assuming in order for them to continue making money from mopar.

5. I paid alot well i traded in two cars and they paid off one of my loans. So i ended with around 39 but after all the rebates the new coverages and i also added in the gap protection and the new jeep warranties which if nearly everything accept they dont call it bumper to bumper. Believe it or not even the paint is warrantied for up to 5 years so if it gets rusted within 5 years your insurance covers it. Also your mygig system unmodified in any way is under warranty i unmodified because its like jail breaking your iphone if you bring it to them modified than they probably wont help you.

Please do not quote me on anything i always suggest doing your own research and asking your salesperson as everyone is not going to get the same deal when buying a vehicle.