Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sprinter motor home chassis

losonelosone Member Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Dodge
I am looking to buy a Winnebago View series 24' motor home on a V-6 Sprinter Chassis. I would like to hear commenst both good and bad about this choice. It has a 5K tow rating and I will be owing a 3,000 pound Honda.

Comments

• jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    So have you purchased your View? If so, how do you like it? I recently went to the San Diego Rv Show and looked at one. Will be considering the Navion IQ, by Itasca. I'm concerned about the power of a 154hp engine.

Any info would be appreciated.

JLO
  • losonelosone Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Navion IQ 24DL. I tow a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. I cruise along at 62-64 on cruise. It takes the hills like a pro diesel and I get a solid 14MPG. Dont worry about the HP look at the torque which is what a diesel is all about. I think it is about 300.

Lee Parmeter Biloxi, Ms
  • meeranchmeeranch Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for advice on a Dingy that has room and I do not have to add oil coolers, drive shaft disconnects ETC. just hook up and go. I towed a Saturn S2 for about 50K miles. great to travel with But toooo small when in 1 place for long periods.
    The best all around Dingy is the Honda CRV from 2006 up. You can tow 4 down either 2 or 4 WD automatic. It rides a bit stiff but is very dependable with no fuse removals like the GM products. You have to stop every 300 miles and cycle the transmission. One Honda quirk is NEVER put it into neutral from reverse. ALWAYS go to neutral from Drive prior to towing. If you want a larger car tow a Honda Accord. It has the same tranny quirk as the CRV. L Lee Parmeter Biloxi, Ms
    I don't know what Sprinter model Terrain Newsome is referring to but my 08 with a V6 is flawless in operation and is 100% trouble free. I have heard of some problems with the 5 cyl. They have an excellent warranty with 100K miles and 5 years on the drive line.

I have heard of some Rv manufactures having problems with the way they mounted their coach on the Sprinter chassis. Mine is a Winnebago Navion and no problems there either. Lee Parmeter Biloxi, Ms :):) ">
    I don't know what Sprinter model Terrain Newsome is referring to but my 08 with a V6 is flawless in operation and is 100% trouble free. I have heard of some problems with the 5 cyl. They have an excellent warranty with 100K miles and 5 years on the drive line.

I have heard of some Rv manufactures having problems with the way they mounted their coach on the Sprinter chassis. Mine is a Winnebago Navion and no problems there either.
  • jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for your input on your sprinter model. You have a Navion what mpg are you getting and are you having any problems finding diesel fuel stations?

thank you,
    jlo
    I get 14 towing a 2006 Tacoma.. No tow and the mileager is 16-18.

I have had no trouble getting low sulpher diesel except on remote back roads. Below is the phase in list. Lee Parmeter

Effective Dates for Highway ULSD Fuel Who
    What U.S. California
    Refiners &
    Importers Import/produce at least 80% ULSD for on highway use 6/01/06
    Import/produce at least 100% ULSD for on highway use 6/01/10 6/01/06
    Downstream from
    Refineries through
    Fuel Terminals Facilities that choose to carry ULSD must meet 15 ppm
    sulfur specification 9/01/06
    All highway diesel must be ULSD 10/01/10 7/15/06
    Retail Outlets Facilities that choose to carry ULSD must meet
    15 ppm sulfur specification 10/15/06
    All highway diesel must be ULSD 12/01/10 9/01/06

Although ULSD fuel is the dominant highway diesel fuel produced, EPA does not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD fuel. Therefore, ULSD fuel might not be available at every service station or truck stop. Diesel retailers may choose to sell Low Sulfur Diesel fuel instead of ULSD fuel until December 1, 2010, when only ULSD fuel will be available for highway use. The industries involved in the transition are doing all they can to minimize potential inconveniences during the conversion to ULSD fuel.

Click here for Downlodable Pump Labels in TIF, JPG, and EPS formats

Federal regulations require the labeling of diesel fuel pumps to specify the type of fuel dispensed by each pump (except in California where all diesel fuel must be ULSD). Similar vehicle instrument panel and fuel inlet/fill cap labeling is mandated for 2007 and later model year highway engines and vehicles that require ULSD fuel.* Consumers are advised to check the pump and
    vehicle labels to ensure they are refueling with the proper diesel fuel consistent with their
    vehicle warranties.

Data from EPA's ULSD pump survey from the Fourth Quarter of 2006 through the Second Quarter of 2010 indicate that more than 99 percent of highway diesel fuel pumps are now dispensing Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD).

The EPA standards provide strong incentives for suppliers to provide the proper ULSD fuel formulation. Civil penalties of up to $32,500 per violation per day can be assessed for non-compliance with EPA’s ULSD fuel standards, or for misrepresentation of the sulfur level of
    diesel fuel.

Click here for EPA Winterization Standards Letter 11-30-07 (PDF).

Guidance for Underground Storage Tank Management at ULSD Dispensing Facilities 8-16-10

*Exception – Some 2007 model year medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks may be equipped with 2006 engines and emission systems. These vehicles are not required to use ULSD fuel.

:)
This discussion has been closed.