Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I don't have a problem with the login, but it looks like they have all the email addresses "private" again in the profiles.

Terry
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll pass your comments along!

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think that issue is also related to the log-in stuff that got rolled out yesterday. "During the migration, members are unable to update their profile."

If anyone else notices any bugs, please pass them along - check out Our Software! Your Questions Answered... for the latest info. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Gotcha covered. Hope the little dude gets well soon.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Like anything else, the Wrangler's handling and speed seem odd at first, it just takes some time to acclimate.

I only notice the difference when I drive my old Prelude -- the most opposite a car can be. Low to the ground and fast.

As for the Wrangler, I tell people it's the perfect cure for road rage. What good does it do to get angry when there's nothing you can do about it? You can't accelerate all that fast, and you're probably not going to pass anybody. Sitting high up in the Jeep, aloof and above the mundane problems of other drivers, makes for a serene driving experience. This is especially important for me being in L.A.

-Mike
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Was thinking about the added security of a locking gas cap. Nobody can siphon gas out, nor can they add sugar or sand to fowl my engine. Yet, the engine compartment itself is woefully unprotected. Whereas most cars have releases inside the cab, the Jeep's hood latches are outside on the hood itself.

(If you recall, my Wrangler got vandalized a while back so security is always foremost on my mind)

-Mike
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    I currently drive a 99 Tacoma Prerunner V6. I like speed 0-60, not necessarily top speed. I don't drive like a maniac in a Tacoma, it doesn't like to hit a left hand turn at 55 mph either. :-) I wouldn't drive the Jeep like that, I have an idea of it's limitations, I just don't like being passed and I try not to go faster than 10 mph over the speed limit because of ticket possibilities.

I am used to the harsh ride in the Tacoma, so the Rubicon really wouldn't bother me. In my perception, the Rubicon is tougher, looks better and appeals to me more than the Sahara would. I like the tires and wheels and it feels very solid too. Also, the Sahara doesn't come in Silver.

I think the Rubicon will fit my active lifestyle now and in the future, I just have to get things worked out and get my conscience (my boyfriend) to agree with me! :)

I like the half doors because of the openness it allows, but I don't like the zippered windows because of noise and less security. Is there an aftermarket option to fix this?

Thanks again!
    Steve:

It used to be that when I logged in, I could click on Car Discussions and be taken to the Town Hall home page, where my message center was available to click on.

Now, when I get to the Town Hall home page, my message center does not show up as a link, and I have to do a "search" on message center. It comes up that way, but who the heck wants to do that all the time???

I have "Jeep Wrangler" and "Impala" bookmarked in my message center, and that's how I get here.

Tom

You like the Rubi, get the Rubi! Get whatcha want. That's the way to do it. It doesn't matter whether or not you will ever need all the features that the Rubi has for offroading. They are there if you ever DO need them, and they ain't gonna hurt anything.

Heck, if you're gonna be practical, then you wouldn't be getting a Wrangler anyway. :)

Wranglers are all about FUN, and if you would have more FUN in a Rubi, then go for it!!!!

One of the cool things about Wranglers is that you just kinda thumb your nose at Mr. Practicality and buy a vehicle simply and purely for FUN!

Kai-Ling, I take the doors completely off of my Thelma Jane for the summer, so, if you get full doors for the sake of the roll up windows, you can always take the doors off during good weather. (assuming you have a safe place to store them... they will be stolen in a heartbeat if you ain't careful. They cost about $2000 a pair, and I think you still have to have them painted to match you Jeep color!).

Tom

• borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
    Life is to short to not drive what you want. My Rubicon is Automatic. I had 5 speeds Jeeps for 19 years and really like the auto now. Maybe I'm just getting older, but the auto seems much faster than the 5 speed. Every day I get more comments about my black Rubicon. It is just one neat looking Jeep and worth the extra if you can afford. My friends tried to talk me into a regular SUV like a Blazer (boring) or a Grand Cherokee. My feeling is IF THE TOP DOESN'T COME OFF, IT JUST A PARTS VECHILE. Now just looking foward to Jeep Jamborees and local Jeep camps.
    Yep, that's an unexpected bug that's biting me too. The IT people are working on it.

I know I've mentioned this before but on my test drive of the '74 CJ-5 I got, the handling was so odd (new to me) I wound up on the sidewalk pulling out of the dealership.

Steve, Host
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I didn't care much for the new login either. But now I have the auto login enabled and everything seems to be working just as it always did.

Paul: I'm with ya' if something less interesting/mandatory doesn't come up. Being a Sunday, I'll have to finesse the wife. We always go to her parent's house after church to spend the day. But I'll see what I can do.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like you'll love your new Rubicon when you get it, and it sounds like a good idea to me!

You can get glass windows that slide to replace the zippered windows on the half doors. Quadratec has them for $459, and I would think you could find them other places as well. I've thought about getting some half doors and sliders, but haven't bothered - my Noble Black Steed has a hard top and full doors. The reason I like the half doors is that the full doors are too high for me to comfortably rest my elbow on them.

I have a 5 speed and love it, even though I have to drive through the most congested freeway intersection in the nation (that was on the news yesterday) - the 101 and I405 interchange.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Anyone in Dallas/Fort Worth area know a local place to trade in tires for credit toward another tire purchase. I saw were tom did this and got a good trade allowance. I recently put BFG AT 30/9.5/15 and picked up a lift so i can install 31's. I called Discount Tire where i purchased the tires and they were only going to offer me $30 a tire with 1,000 on the tires, oh man thats rediculous. Any information would be helpfull... Jeff
    eBay them? (maybe limit the sale to your geographic area to save some on the freight).

Local penny saver publication or consign them to a local 4x4 shop?

Steve, Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Earlier this month I called the dealership to buy an extra key for the Sentry Key system. I didn't have my manual with me, but I thought I remembered that you could program them yourself if you had 2 keys. When I asked the service manager if I could do it I was told no, they had to program them. The cost would be $39 for the programming. When I got home I broke out my book and saw that I could do it after all. I picked up the new key and maybe spent all of two minutes programming the new key and that included reading the instructions again.

Today I was out looking at 20 acres that are for sale. I had the realtor in the Jeep with me as we drove over the property. She said that she just could not believe how my "little" Jeep drove. I mentioned that we were not even in 4WD and I then put it in 4 low. Gave her a bit of the rattle your teeth treatment in my "little" Jeep.

Surprises me that people are unaware of what a vehicle that doesn't drag the ground can do. It also helps to have Mud Terrains.

Guess I am to use to driving trucks for the last 20 years.

Still a happy camper.
    Nice to see a post from the Old Toad Boy! Where ya been so long???

Tom

Well, I have now seen it happen first hand. A guy in the group I was wheelin' with today broke his Dana 35 axle shaft on the passenger side. The axle shaft broke right at the end of the splined portion.

The guy was in Buttpucker Gulch and his right rear tire got kinda scotched up down in a hole so that it wouldn't turn. When Gus gave it some gas... SNAP!

Gus was not going nuts on the old gas pedal or anything, but the axle shaft snapped just the same.

Now, the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey woud say. Gus had 35" tires and a Detroit locker in the back. He also had 4.56 gears. That all adds up to way too much torque for the Dana 35 axle shafts.

Gus carried spare shafts, and he did a trail repair. That was the end of our wheelin' for the day, though.

We had already done a lot of fun stuff, so it ain't like it ruined our day or anything.

Tom

Hi Jeff! Good to see ya posting again.

The place where I got my super deal was just a local tire dealer in the town where I work. They are not a franchise or anything.

Other than the advice Steve gave ya about ebay or local flea market papers, I would just call around and check with LOTS of local tire dealers in your area.

NO WAY I WOULD LET EM GO FOR $30 APIECE!

Tom

• go_ducksgo_ducks Member Posts: 22
    actually, I would try selling them on craigslist before ebay. It's free and they have it for the Dallas area, address is http://dallas.craigslist.org/
    oh, good idea Ducks. I wish we had one in Boise.

Steve, Host
  • borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
    Oceantoad

My dealer wants $60. for extra key. I couldn't find in my manuel for my new Rubicon how to program. Did I miss it somewhere? Also, would like thoughts on wheel lock, door locks and extended warrantys. Wheel and door locks to protect against theft. Anyone know a good place to buy chrome nerf bars?

Thanks
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    My dealer got $21.62 for the key and wanted the $39 extra for the programming.

I have a 2002 Sport and the steps for programming the key are in the manual. I wouldn't think that the Rubicon would be different, but maybe?

I have AR767 wheels on mine and use the Gorilla wheel locks on all tires.

Now that I have reread your post, I get the idea that you are maybe talking about a steering wheel lock. Right or wrong?

I know Quadratec.com has stainless nerf bars, don't know about chrome.

I have an extended warranty, but I think it is a waste of money to get one at the time of purchase. I am still being hounded 2 years later to buy various extended warranties. Makes more sense to me to buy one 2 or 3 years down the road if you can pony up the money. Much easier on the wallet to get at time of purchase and increase your payments by a few dollars. Just my thoughts.
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    Well, I went to a dealer on Saturday and test drove another Rubicon and sat down and talked prices with him. He said it was worth the extra $260 to get the 7 speaker w/sub upgrade. Is it? Also, would you go for the tint on the windows, front or rear? It is a little expensive.

He offered to order me a Silver 5 spd Rubicon, air, dual tops, auto-dim mirror, floor mats, cruise, sound system upgrade, and sentry key for about $24,000. I also found out today I could get the $400 college grad rebate! Wooo! $23,500 baby! Unfortunately, he doesn't have one in stock and I know it won't get here until after the rebates are over, so I have to search for one. The salesman didn't seem like he wanted to do that and tried to get me into a Sienna Sierra...yucky color (to me).

Please give me any info on the sub system and the tint. Thank you. Hopefully I'll have one soon.
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    I got this option and it sounds pretty good. It is better then the standard 4 speaker just based on the sub giving a little low end to the music. As far as end all stereos, it's not the top of the line after market system you could install. My opinion on it was I could spend 250 and be pretty satisfied or spend well over 1000 and still not be happy and wanting to spend more. As it is I'm looking to upgrade the speakers but doubt that I will put a ton of money into it.

As for tint I work in the city and alot of the people I hang out with live in the city. We have a saying "if it's tinted they'll break it just to look". Basically the if you have tint and they can't see into the car, they will break a window just to check it out and see what's in there. Therefore I went with no tint so they can see right in. I go one step further most of the time and leave the console and glovebox open so they can see there is nothing in my baby. Hell right now the doors are unlocked outside, rather them open it up then slit a window.

Tony
    I got my 01 Sport, Thelma Jane, there was a standard radio and a five speaker option with subwoofer.

You might as well not have gotten a radio at all if you got just the standard radio. There was ABSOLUTELY NO bass at all! It sounded so "tinny" even with the bass adjustment turned all the way up, that it was just plain awful.

I got the five speaker option, obviously.

I don't know what radio options they have now, but unless things have changed big time, you are gonna want that subwoofer!

Tom

• drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    I ended up going with both options. Tony has a good point about the tinting.... for me it was for keeping gear out of direct sunlight (as much as that helps). The 7-speaker option isn't bad unless you're an audiophile. Plenty enough sound to drown out engine/road noise.

Andrew
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Well folks, went wheeling yesterday and Buffy got her first taste of Alberta pin-striping. Narrow trail through the woods and that was it - my first bit of trail-rash. Luckily the Silver color hides it pretty well...

Curious if I should try to cover it up, or let it serve as proof of use for intended purposes! ;-)

Andrew
    Yeah, there's some ugly log-in/profile bug that seems worse today. More here:

Sylvia "Our Software! Your Questions Answered..." Feb 23, 2004 11:11am

Steve, Host
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    For Half doors, you are pretty much limited to the soft windows, if you go with Mopar. Check out some of the Jeep sales places on line like quadratec or JCWhitney. They have Bestop Sliders - basically upper half doors that have a sliding window. It won't give you complete open air as if you had rolled it down, but it does give you functionality of getting through the drivethrough or ATM. :)

-Paul
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    Tom,

I have been very very busy and haven't had a chance to hop on line lately. I can't belive that I'm behind by 184 posts! March 6/7 is out for me as my schedule is booked. I am still thinking about coming down the weekend of the 20th. I'm looking into lodging in the Benton area (Holiday Inn Express, etc.)

I'll let ya know probably in a day or two if this is going to happen.

Hope all is well,

David
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    Hi guys. I have a 2002 X and the check engine light came on this weekend-I took it in and a few hours later dealer service told me that I had a "Pinched Vapor Line". Anyone else have this happen? Is this something that can become chronic?
    This is only the second problem I have had to date, last year the defroster wasn't blowing air and that was a trip to the dealer where they had to fix vent direction apparatus. It seems like there is a long pause when I switch from defrost setting to floor setting-anyone else experience delay? Thanks fellas!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My Noble Black Steed now has a new windshield. I got a good deal from a local company near work - they came out and did it on site, so I didn't have to take it any place.

When I was looking at Wranglers in '98 I decided that I had never had tinted windows so wanted to save the money and not get them. The Wrangler I bought happened to come with them (the only one that had the rest of what I wanted), so I got it that way. Am I ever glad that I did - it does make a huge difference with heat build-up. Any vehicle (other than another pickup) will most likely get tinted windows if it doesn't come with them standard. I don't have a theft problem because of tinted windows - just about every other vehicle around here is tinted, too.

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe I don't hit the high theft places around here, but I don't have locks on my hood and haven't had any problem. I'm thinking about a locking gas cap with the price of gas at $1.99 at ARCO, but I've always thought they were a big bother when I've had them in the past.

I don't worry that much about trail scratches - I try to keep a decent coat of wax on it - they haven't been all that deep. I recently found a small bit of rust on the front (stone chip, probably) that I need to do something about, but wanted to resolve the windshield first. What should I use to deal with the rust before I paint? I know, I'm lucky I live in a location where rust isn't a normal problem.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    see my posts 9872 and 9722 for the best product I found for touch ups, inculding preping rusted surfaces.

Since your Jeep is black, you could get away with using something like POR-15. I think you can find generic versions at most auto supply stores.

-twylie
    For those of you with hardtops:

The interior of my hard top--and all hard tops I think--is white with a matte finish. When taking it off last year, my friend and I had dirty hands. Now the interior has some black grime ground into the matte over the driver's seat, and I can't seem to scrub it out. Part of the problem is that I'm trying to clean a ceiling, so liquids immediately drain off when you spray it. But does anyone have any ideas on this? The dirt is in the crevices of the matte.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "Part of the problem is that I'm trying to clean a ceiling, so liquids immediately drain off when you spray it."

Hmmm.....is it redundant to point out that the hardtop is removable? It's actually quite able to support its own weight when inverted. Just make sure to lay it on a blanket or something similar.

You can use a household cleaner like '409' to remove the marks without damaging the top. Use a nailbrush to scrub into the textured surface.
    "Gus had 35" tires and a Detroit locker in the back. He also had 4.56 gears. That all adds up to way too much torque for the Dana 35 axle shafts."

With that combination he has a setup that's just waiting for the opportunity to let him down.

The D35 is much stronger than it's generally given credit for, but giving it the potential for that sort of torque loading is way beyond optimistic. Not a matter of if, but when.
    It's unlikely to become chronic, it's just a trapped hose. That light only comes on for problems that have the potential to have a detrimental effect on emissions, which aren't usually damaging to the engine.

The defroster problem could be a vacuum leak, a faulty vacuum actuator, or a sticking door in the HVAC housing. Unfortunately, the latter is most likely to be the problem. If it sticks too much it'll break and become a very expensive repair in terms on both parts and labor.

Easiest way to check is to watch the actuators as the control is operated. When you see the slow one, disconnect it from the door. You can then manually operate the door and it will be obvious it it's sticking. If it isn't, operate the control again and see if the actuator is quicker. If not, it's probably faulty or not getting sufficient vacuum. It's just a process of elimination.
    #12480 of 12481 D35 / Tom by mac24 Feb 23, 2004 (8:02 pm)
    "Gus had 35" tires and a Detroit locker in the back. He also had 4.56 gears. That all adds up to way too much torque for the Dana 35 axle shafts."

With that combination he has a setup that's just waiting for the opportunity to let him down.

The D35 is much stronger than it's generally given credit for, but giving it the potential for that sort of torque loading is way beyond optimistic. Not a matter of if, but when.

Yep, Mac. Here's the funny thing... he had been to Tellico doing all of that stuff on the rocks without breaking. It was definitely a matter of time.

That's why I am so glad I got the Dana 44! Now I can sleep at night, even though I have a locker back there and will someday go with bigger tires.

Tom

Yup, doesn't always happen first time out. Often you can get away with giving it a beating over a period of time, then it breaks as you pull out of the drive-thru...........and a legend is born!

Oh, I don't want to disturb your beauty sleep (as you surely need it), but D44s aren't unbreakable. Even D60s let go from time to time. Sometimes you've just gotta pay if you wanna to play!

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    After boasting about the longevity of the OEM Mopar battery in my 1999 Sahara, the ungrateful box of acid decided to die on me Thursday afternoon. The blasted thing would barely turn the engine over. After much prayer the engine fired and I drove home. The next day I finally managed to track down a size 34 NAPA(Exide) Nascar Select battery(I know the Optima is the hot ticket for serious wheeling, but the $70 NAPA has a 24 month free replacement guarantee as well as a pro-rated 84 month warranty). Before replacing the battery I decided to change the oil while I was at it so I jump-started the TJ and drove it several miles to get the oil good and warm. About one hour later my Jeep had a new battery, a new Mobil 1 oil filter, and six quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 in the sump. At 71000 miles the thing still uses less than half a pint of oil between the 6000 mile changes. I remain pleasantly surprised by my Wrangler's reliability. In a bit less than two years and 23K miles it has only needed front pads, a radiator, a serpentine belt, and a steering stabilizer. Now my wife is saying that she wouldn't mind a red Rubicon. Hmmmmmm...
    What are ya waitin' for, Man??? Get that Rubi while the better half is agreeable!

Tom

Yeah, I know. But, the odds are much more in my favor by running a Dana 44 vs. a Dana 35.

For the type of wheelin' I do, I think the 44 will hold up over the long run. I'll most likely never have bigger than 33" tires. Also, where I wheel, I'm usually on loose soil or small, loose rocks that allow the tires to spin rather than bind up.

Mac, you are in Florida, right? Seems like one of your old posts said something about your driving somewhere and then back to Florida. Think you might ever get up this way and go wheelin' with me???? That would be COOL! It's a LONG drive, but maybe you would be passing through sometime on your way somewhere else???

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today/
    Hey, good to hear from ya again!

Don't drop out on us like that, David! I was afraid something was wrong.

Well, just get down here whenever ya can. You know me... I go to TB just about every weekend.

Tom

Div2, I was so happy with the OEM battery's performance that I just bought a new one. The original one was still working after 6 years, but its power output had declined somewhat so I bought a new one as a preventive measure.
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    I'll try not to drop out as I enjoy talking to all of you. My son just was diagnosed with Autism and well... it's been a little tough.As tough as it is, I am driven by the fact that it is even more difficult for my son.

The good news is he's High Functioning and is very very smart. At age 3 we put together the "Visible V8" engine model and he remembered all of the parts to the amazament of everbody.He is also helping me wrench on the Jeep and is absolutely loving it. So you can say "Sara" the Jeep is proving to be great thearpy for all.

My mom found a picture of me on my uncle's jeep circa 1968. It was a green CJ2. I was exactly my son's age of 8. I now have that picture along with a picture of my family sitting on our green Jeep in my office.

It's not the hand your dealt, it's how you play the cards that matter..I plan on bluffing my way through life with a big smile.

Thanks for all of your support,

David
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    Thanks mac24! Greatly appreciated.
    Where do see the actuators as the control is operated? That is-where do I look? Also, do you experience a delay when switching between vents/defrosters? Previous cars seem to switch almost immediatley-mine is kinda deliberate-wondering if it is going to go bad again?
    Sorry to hear about your son's autism, but I know you will help him to have a great life.

I think the Good Lord had a very special boy that needed a very special dad and hooked you guys up. That's the way it sounds to me anyway.

I'll be honered to meet both you and that son of yours sometime in the not too distant future, I hope.

Tom

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'm gonna. :) A lot of people have what are considered to be 'handicaps' but I'm of the mind that something like an autism or paralysis is only a handicap if the person who has it lets it be one.

It sure sounds like your son and your entire family are taking the positive approach and helping him to live his life to the fullest.

I truly commend you for your strength, will, and love you show your family. You've been presented a challenge and you've met it head on, not letting it beat you.

-Paul
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    That HI Express is fairly new, within 4 or 5 years. Also, it is located less that 10 miles from Kentucky Dam State Resort Park, just up US Hwy 641 North. They have a fairly nice golf course there, if you play. You will staying at the intersection of the Purchase Parkway and US Hwy 68, aka the Jefferson Davis Hwy. This area is not in Benton at all, it's actually in a community called Draffenville.

Enjoy your stay, hopefully we can all meet up at TB! :)