Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Don't worry, I'm not going to try and talk you into changing to a D35. :--)
    Ideally, the D44 would be the standard rear axle and ABS would be an option for it.

Luckily, a Florida/Canada journey isn't a regular commute for me! However, if it looks like I'm going to be in your area I'll certainly give you a shout.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The actuators should complete their travel within a couple of seconds. To watch them at work you need to look up from the footwells to the sides of the HVAC housing. In other words you have to find a position that allows you to rest the back of your head on the floor.

The problem is most likely to be the defrost actuator, which is the upper one on the drivers side. Make sure not to twist your back too much!
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    My wife is a special ed teacher. One of her favorite students was an autistic boy named Harry, who was strong in math but struggled with anything verbal. Harry's had a very good life, largely thanks to his family's acceptance and support. They know what his strengths are and build on them. (His dad set up a vending company that Harry will be able to run.) I know that your family will be there for your son. Harry's family shows that that what you gain can be far greater than whatever other people would say is missing from your lives.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Faith, attitude, and determination are 90% of the battle; I'm certain your son will have a happy and successful life. One of my wife's co-workers has an autistic son, and it has been a blessing to watch his development-he's really blossomed into an outstanding young man. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
    I considered the OEM battery, but the Nascar Select was less expensive, had a better warranty(24 mo. free replacement vs. 3 mo.), and better ratings for reserve capacity and cold cranking amps. Exide also claims that the internal construction of the Nascar Select is better with regards to vibration and shock resistance. This is not to say that the Mopar battery is bad by any means, I just found the Nascar Select to be a good choice for my purposes.
    Yeah, the Rubi is tempting, but we've just about got her car paid off-and all three vehicles are in excellent shape. Plus, I've decided to set a really long range goal of obtaining one of these:
    http://www.bmwinfo.com/0586.jpg .
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    We are keeping a very positive attitude and from what I am finding out are very lucky compared to many. There are times when we all struggle and ask why me? I know now that the good lord has seen fit to make sure that I pay very close attention to his most precious gift to me.. my kids.

I really appreciate the kind words of support from all of you.

On a happier note, my wife has given me the go ahead to book a hotel for the weekend of the 20th of March in Kentucky. LBL here we come!!!

Tom- as the date draws nearer I'll send ya an email with my cell phone # so we can hook up.

mullins87 -thanks for the G2 on the HI express.

Thanks again

David

It's a Jeep thing...others wouldn't understand
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Huh?

I have TONS of pics in Gill's. Which one ya talkin' about? I don't remember posting a pic of one dog hurting another dog. Ross Allen wouldn't hurt a flea.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    mmmmmmmmmmm M1...

-twylie
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Anybody have experience with these? Are they noisy or inconvenient in some unexpected way? Any manufacturers better than the rest?
    I'm considering ordering a hardtop and would use this during the summer. Should I just get the dual tops, since some suppliers require you already have the soft top mounting hardware?
    Thanks
  • go_ducksgo_ducks Member Posts: 22
    Bestop makes top-notch sewn stuff, though I think the half-top looks needlessly complex. I had a Bestop Sunrider and thought the hardware was subpare to the factory soft top. I've got the hard top on mine right now and am going to get a new soft top this spring from Rock Gear in New Mexico; it uses the roll cage for support instead of separate hardware and also turns into a safari top.
    The 4wd system in the Wrangler is a part time system, meaning there is no slip or differential between the front and rear wheel. It is designed to be used ONLY when the wheels can slip a bit if the driveline binds up. I used mine off and on this morning getting out of my neighborhood (ATL got 1" of snow and everythign closes!). When I'd come to a hill with slush and snow, I'd use 4HI, but then pop it back into 2WD when I got to cleared road. It would be nice if DC offered a full time 4wd system for the Wrangler, but it might lose some of it's durability due to the additional complexity.

-twylie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another bug swatted (hopefully) Glen. I haven't checked the profile bug lately to see how the private/public email flag issue was coming along, but Tidester was struggling with it this morning. Thanks for your patience.

Steve, Host
    Some have had success changing their profile and then logging out and logging back in.

I'm waiting for the fix to get rolled in myself. Bug updates are getting posted in the Our Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion.

(and this isn't Tidester's doing - I happen to know he doesn't write buggy software <g>).

Steve, Host
    If it's a downpour, I often pop into 4wd for speeds above 20mph on paved roads. It's a common sense thing. You can sense when there is slippage on the road, and if it feels like you should use 4wd, then use it.
    If you are talking about hydroplaning, I don't think 4 WD vs, 2 WD would matter much. (I believe most accidents on wet roads are due to hydroplaning.)

Just no subsitute for slowing down according to conditions.

Tom

I do not use 4wd in the rain and would be suprised if rain alone would allow enough slipage to prevent wind up in the drivetrain. I don't doubt that 4HI gives a more surefooted feeling in heavy rain, but personally would be reluctant to use it as a full time 4wd system. Short periods on straight stretches of road may be fine but I would not want to put the stress on the drivetrain for any length of time. If it's raining so hard you feel like it needs 4wd to remain stable, it may help to periodically put it back into 2wd for a brief bit to "unlock" the front and rear drive wheels from each other for a second.

I saw some pretty stupid driving around Atlanta today and tried to keep my speed down and distance from everyone else. Even with a great vehicle and a capable driver, those crazies on the road are what will do us in!

-twylie
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    When all 4 wheels are hydroplaning, it doesn't make a lot of difference
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    Hey guys,

Thank you for your answers to my questions. I'm going to the dealer this weekend to order my Rubicon.

I was looking on the Jeep.com web site and saw the RB1 navigation system. I wonder if it is any good and if so, how likely would it be that it would get stolen from my Jeep. I need a navigation system badly. If there is a possibility of me getting lost, I probably will be. I always make the wrong turns even with directions. I promised myself that on my next vehicle I would get a navigation system. If you know of an alternative besides the RB1, please let me know.

I'm also thinking about getting XM satellite radio, I like the music channel they offer that Sirius doesn't.

Thank you.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'd get a handheld GPS system like Magellan's Street Pilot or the offering from Garmin. They offer road directions, but I'm not sure how much good they'd be offroad. I personally have a handheld Magellan Meridian GPS with a mounting system so I can move it. This has the added benefit of being impossible to steal from the car (if it ain't there, they can't take it).

As for XM, DO IT! I have it in one of my other cars, and can't imagine NOT having it.

-Paul
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have noticed that the Wrangler does hydroplane easily and I don't drive it in the carpool lanes of I-405 when the water pools. Very scary!

I've never used 4hi on rainy roads - though I probably would if it felt like the road was water on oil (not uncommon here, since it doesn't rain all that often). I'm glad it has shift on the fly, because I'm often in and out of 4WD when the roads are only partly icy.

Paul - how does the Magellan Meridian GPS work off-road? One of these days I want to get one, but not until gas goes down. I'm not going to mention what it is now, because every time I mention a price on this board, it goes up again!
  • mrp57mrp57 Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks! I have been lurking on the sidelines for almost a year now. I purchased a 99 Sahara last May. Told my wife I had always wanted a Wrangler, and if I waited until I could afford it, when the kids were out of college(next 13 years), I would be too old to get in one! Sorry for not getting in sooner, but I have enjoyed keeping up with you folks daily. It has been amazing to me to see how much in common besides a vehicle everyone really is! I have read the Aurora (have a 99) board also, and it seems the uniqueness of vehicles brings out the passion of their owners. Anyway, Hi!
    Hi! Well, I would say welcome, but, geez, you have been here almost a year.

Oh Heck, WELCOME ANYWAY! :)

Glad you broke the ice and posted. Hope you'll make a habit of it.

CONGRATS on that Sahara! Tell us how you are using that puppy. Daily driver? Weekend toy? Go off road any? Got any mods? Where ya from?

Now, ain't ya sorry you posted? Being asked all those questions, I mean.

Tom

• jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    grazk,

I recently had the chance to use a Dodge Ram that had the RB1 GPS Navigation unit and talked to the DC factory rep about it. The unit is nice except its screen is smaller then the 7" or so touch screen units found in newer cars and trucks.

Basically, the RB1 is an integrated radio unit that just replaces the standard radio. Therefore, anyone would have to pry-out the entire radio so I believe that theft of the unit would not be any worse then the regular radio. I prefer an integrated Navigation system in the vehicle rather then a portable unit. I have used both and believe that the portable units are harder to read effectively and mount it without significant vibration (especially when off-road). I only like to use portable units when out hiking.

However, one bad point is that DC does not offer a RB1 type Navigation radio with satellite radio. They are separate units that replace the standard radio. I asked the rep if they were going to offer a unit that provided both but he was not aware of any. I would prefer the NAV unit over the Satellite unit.

Jim
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    A part-time 4wd system should never be used simply because the asphalt is wet. Wet asphalt is not slick enough to warrant the use of 4wd. If you can get the Jeep rolling and accelerate without a great deal of wheel spin, then 4wd is not necessary. 4wd does not improve your ability to steer or brake.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Welcome aboard mrp57!
    Let's add - how you enjoyin' that Sahara? Good thinking on picking it up now. I've joined the legions of others that regret not having bought one sooner...

Andrew
    I'm not saying use 4wd whenever it rains, just that in situations when it's coming down in sheets and you're going over 20mph it's probably OK. Rain or snow, 4wd never helps you brake. But water pools on the road sometimes during heavy rain, and on rural back roads I'll pop it in and out of 4wd until the rain slows down if I feel I need some more traction. Not when I'm going slow, because I don't need the traction, and certainly not during sharp turns. But in a relatively straight section, and there are puddles or water draining across the road, 4wd helps keep control. Again, if you can literally feel you need traction, then I think you can pop it into 4wd for short sections. It's not a "put it in 4wd and forget about it," you have to be actively involved, just like driving a stick shift.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Welcome to the board, lots of great info & people here. Doesn't it feel good to stop lurking :-). I was the same way. I'm still jeep-less but sooner or later the bank account will allow it. Maybe redkey would give me a good deal on his <grin>. Now answer the mayor's questions, tell us more about that jeep.

Rich
  • mrp57mrp57 Member Posts: 2
    I'm left-handed and somewhat of a Willie fan, so I refer to my black on black hardtop machine as "Pancho". He is stock - 30" package, with the exception of a lot of stainless steel accessories.Most of my use is daily(live 3 miles from the office)and cruisen kids to all of their various activities. No big mods or offroading planned yet(sound familiar, Tom?). There are a couple of colleges that are getting first crack at the cash right now,and for a long time to come.My soon to be 16 third child(girl) has stopped talking about a car since Pancho came home with me. Bad deal for sure. It seems like the Jeep is the first vehicle out of the garage when someone leaves the house - even though the wife thought it a bit impractical when I bought it. She is a parallel parking machine when she is in the Wrangler!
    mtngal,

The Platinum has a 16 MB basemap, which covers the major higways of the country. But for offroading, you can use it to track where you are going and make waypoints to backtrack out.

You can also download topo maps to a memory card (mine has 256 MB) so you can follow geography while offroading.

Software is available for using it on roads as well to help you find your way to a given address.

Right now, I use it for basic navigation. When I use it offroad, it is mainly so I can backtrack in case I get lost (which hasn't happened).

This GPS is different from the car mounted ones in that those seem to limit you to being on road. The handhelds were originally intended for hikers and stuff, but adapt well to offroading/trail use. I have ordered a RAM Mount that will hook onto my windshield or my dash, but is moveable so I can best see it. I'll be testing it out when I see Tom in a little over a week. :) Hope you don't mind, Tom. :)

The Topo software actually includes the detailed street maps (Mapsend Topo = Topo + Mapsend Streets and Destinations), so is a better value IMO. The Topo mapping is does though, is not the most accurate and they have a new version in development that is supposed to promise more accuracy. My GPS I have found is accurate to about 1-4 feet when I've been geocaching (www.geocaching.com), so a more accurate Topo software is nice.

But people need to remember that a map/compass is still a good backup. National Geographics TOPO! software is EXCELLENT and VERY accurate and detailed for geography (there are some roads, but a general guide only).

-Paul
    Welcome mrp57! Glad you are joining us - your rig sounds really nice. I agree that parallel parking with a Wrangler is incredible. A couple of years ago I went to a high school reunion. I parked on the street between a car and an RV (don't think the RV owner would have been too happy - he might have been using the space to get out). I'm sure no one else had room to park there, but my Noble Black Steed slipped in there perfectly. I, too, have a black with black hard top. While I think it looks super sharp, it will most likely be the last black vehicle I'll ever own!

Paul - thanks for the info on your GPS system. Since I would be using it for both hiking and off-roading, I'd want the most accurate topo software I could get. You mentioned the National Geographic topo software - will that work with your device (is this my ignorance of the topic showing)?

I hope everyone is planning a great Jeepin' weekend. I'm planning on going snowshoeing in some of that new snow just above me (and there was a dusting at the house this morning - another Jeep commute day!). If anyone is interested, I have some new photos (general scenery mostly) up, along with one of my Noble Black Steed and his favorite environment. Address is: http://community.webshots.com/album/121470341zaYXly .
    I thought it would - the box says it is 'compatible' with the Magellan GPS's. But you can only really download waypoints (points of interest) to it. Not a big deal to me at all. I find my coordinates (like from the geocaching website) and key them directly into the GPS.

Only Magellan (mapsend) software can be used to download (read: MAPS) to the GPS units. Garmin is the same way with their software, but their topo software, at least right now, is more accurate than the Magellan. The new Magellan software, due soon I hope, is supposed to use a more accurate measuring tool (data from NASA mapping missions maybe?) so I'm holding out on buying it until then.

I'm not sure how good the 'car based' street GPS's would work offroad. Plus they are bigger.

-Paul
    Scary... taking pictures while driving on the 405 *shudder*!

:)

-Paul
    Actually, I had help - I was driving and letting my other half operate the camera. It was only the second time he had even looked at it so I had to talk him through it. It wasn't so bad - I think we were only going about 20 mph at the time.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom, that was great. Might even help you win some converts. It is still amazing to me what a Wrangler will do.

Terry
    Thanks!

Yeah, I continue to be amazed by the capabilities of a Wrangler too (AND BY THE AMOUNT OF FUN THEY OFFER!).

Tom

Pete:

Is it just my poor memory, or has it been a LONG time since you posted? I THINK your last post was around Christmas time, if the search feature didn't lie. ( Or if I didn't mess up.)

Let us hear from ya! Check out that vid clip I posted the link to. Let me know whatcha think of it.

Tom

Glen, my autologin is working but the Message Center isn't loading immediately like it should. So there's still some bugs, and yes, the IT folks are working on it.

The Profile bug can be worked around sometimes by logging out immediately after changing it. A fix is in the works for that one too. Apologies!

Steve, Host
    Ya gotta love it - Glen lives probably something like 100 miles from me. Here he is talking about going topless between raindrops and I'm talking about new snow! It was really pretty this morning with a fresh dusting of snow on the ground and the sun out. Of course, the sun made sure the snow melted off by mid-day, but it was pretty while it lasted.

Tomorrow I'll take the Jeep up to Mt. Pinos for some snowshoeing. It won't be off-roading, but it will still be fun.
    Well, The Old Tomster has been busted again. :(

I thought that it would be OK to link to Gill's just for that movie clip, but it was a no-no.

It's playing time is 2 minutes, 48 seconds, and it shows Thelma Jane in Blackhole Gully. She really rears up on her hind legs and gets some air under that left front tire.

If any of you would like to know how to get to it, just email me. It is 28 MB, so if you are on dial-up, be prepared for a LONG download time. I'm on dial-up and just started the download when I went to bed. It probably took a couple hours.

Tom

• tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    I am in Houston and wanted to know if anyone recommends a dealership here in town. I am looking to buy a Sport. I am so excited about getting a new Jeep! Thanks for the advice.
    Welcome!

Looks like you are not only new to this particular message board, but also to Town Hall. Your profile shows that you registered just today.

Just get ready for more fun than you've ever had in your life, if you are getting a new Jeep. Keep us posted on your progress as you do your shopping.

If you are interested in seeing the fun I have with my Jeep, just click on this link....

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• greenmeaniegreenmeanie Member Posts: 14
    Hello Jeepers - thought I would give my 2 cts. I recommend hand held for versatility, you can take it with you hiking or mtn biking or just walking around the city. You can take it overseas somewhere glamorous like Europe or Afghanistan ;) and probably even find street level mapping software for your destination. Then you can also have a decent aftermarket stereo with Sat Radio too. In my experience, Garmin is very popular with troopers, with some magellans being used too. I have a Garmin eMap (no longer made) which has worked flawlessly for me over several years now, in some extreme conditions hiking, motorcycling, driving, and military use. You can find handhelds that are oriented towards various activities in which you may be most passionate (fishing,hiking, auto) and many good all around units too. Some now will even give you voice directions and some integrate with PDAs or laptop computers. Many newer units are WAAS (developed for aviation use) enabled, which will provide enhanced accuracy, though I have not found it necessary for my uses. My eMap came with MapSource Metroguide USA, which I have found excellent for address level street mapping. I am using Garmin's World Map here in Afghanistan and it has enough city, road and river data to be quite useful. I haven't found the Topo GPS downloadable maps to be worthwhile, The scale on the GPS displays just doesn't cut it for topo (IMHO). You should have a paper topo map if you venture into the boonies. You should have a compass too and know terrain association, intersection and resection methods to determine your location. You can do some homework on the WWW and find the handheld that will work best for your needs. GPS City is a good place to start, sorry I can't give you a link.

If you buy a OEM or built-in type unit, make sure it is DVD based and not CD based as DVD will hold much more mapping data.

Cheers, I hope you are all doing fine back home.

'Short Timer' Thomas
    I hosted the video on a personal domain and hope this will be OK with Edmunds.

http://www.ewylie.com/video/tomvid.htm

If anyone else has videos or images that they would like to host, I have enough storage and unlimited bandwidth and will be glad to help out within reason :-).

-twylie
  • tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    Way to go Tom! That video rocks....I can't wait until I have the opportunity to try some wheelin!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That works! :-)

tidester, host
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Welcome to all the new comers, it's been a few days since I've been around.

Hey Tom, that's one nice video. Jeeps are great. Any body damage on that pass side? Looked like it was close there.

Tony
    THANK YOU!

Geez Louise! What a PAIN it has been trying to share things with my Jeep Buds in here! YOU DA MAN! Now, just don't start a message board or anything. :)

Tony, no body damage. It WAS close, as you could see.

Tyoshu, you just can't imagine the fun that wheelin' your Jeep is. Getcha one and come on up here and wheel with me. (Long drive, I know, but if you ever want to, you would be welcome.)

Thanks again, Trey! Man, I be one happy camper right now!

Tom

I'm not sure I'm gonna make it, Peeps, but today is day 60 in my effort to give up the old cigs.

I have struggled the last few days BIG TIME!

Why, after almost two months, am I having such a hard time? I would have thought that by now I would be fighting an occasional urge; maybe even some STRONG urges. Didn't think I would still be having entire days when the urge would be almost continuous, though, after two months.

THIS IS HARD TO DO!

Thanks, Buds, for your support. Gonna hang in there the best I can. Will be glad when bedtime gets here, so I can sleep (but, heck, I will probably DREAM about smoking).

Tom

Hang in there! It sounds like you hit the psychological "hump" sooner than I did. I seemed to hit it at 3 months. That's when I was feeling better physically and my body forgot why I quit. Then it becomes a mental thing, and that mental thing is really tough. I just kept reminding myself why I quit, thinking about how smoking was interfering with my life, etc. Then I'd go do something else that would totally occupy my mind and the craving would pass. While it doesn't feel like it, it will eventually go away.

tyoshu - wish I could help you out about Houston dealerships, but I haven't been in Texas in many years. A Sport is a good choice - I have one and love it. It is so capable off-road as well as on the road. I'd love to tell you how I drove some tough roads today, but I can't. I drove my Noble Black Steed (a '98 Sport) up to go snowshoeing on paved, clear and dry roads. But there's always next weekend...