Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• sharonklsharonkl Posts: 660
    Thanks for responding. The one author David Michaels is the guy who heads OSHA.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Richmond VAPosts: 177
    I can't handle the truth.

I'll wait on the facts.

I am, speaking of facts, getting 21.8 mpg on my new Highlander Limited. The 1700 miles on it have been mostly rural Interstate cruising at 75 and working to get around the packs of tractor trailers clogging the rolling hills and mountains.

I wonder what I'd get if I'd slow down?

John
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    21.8 mpg is suppose to be good? My Denali averages 10.9 with spirited driving, vette hits around 14 same with the Titan. Come to think about it all three are V8s.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,225
    You could have gotten a BMW X5 diesel and be getting 30 MPG without the fear of SUA. BMW is one of many companies that has engineered and tested their DBW before selling it to the public. And the X5 will blow that Highlander into the weeds.

Toyota should have won the Olympic Gold for the Downhill. They are going downhill faster than any automaker in history.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (turbodiesel) 4X4. I live in the metro Washington DC area and going back and forth to work I average 23 MPG. On long interstate trips, 28 - 31 MPG.

My Liberty has the aerodynamics of a brick and weighs in at over 4300 lbs. The engine is a 2.8L four cylinder turbodiesel that makes 295 lb-ft of torque. The same engine with the updated piezo injection makes 340 lb-ft of torque. Recently I saw a 2006 CRD for sale that had been modified and makes 395 lb-ft of torque and still gets over 26 MPG on the road.

If you slowed down, you might get 23 MPG. If you traded it in for a diesel, you would definitely get better fuel economy and no unintended acceleration problems and brakes that work too.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    If you don't want to read someone's post, please use your down arrow and go to the next one.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 318
    I have moved on to the next post in her case at least a half dozen times before. She has chosen this forum as a band stand to show her dislike of Exponent. If you don't believe me go back and read them, I have. I just thought it was time to point out she has made her point about Exponent and it was time to move on. I have no stake in Exponent and appreciate her pointing out their ways. Enough is enough, this is about Toyota, and she's wasting our time with the repeated Exponent bash here. Find another forum.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 318
    I prefer to hear what they have to say before making a judgment on this.
    March 8th 2010, Toyota still not interested in finding their problem. Only discrediting anyone that gets in their path of deception.

Toyota disputes critic who blames electronics

(AP) – 1 hour ago
    The automaker will host a Webcast event Monday at 1 p.m. EST during which it will seek to debunk a critic who claims faulty gas pedals did not cause the sudden acceleration.

The company is calling in the director of Stanford University's Center for Automotive Research to try to refute the claims. Toyota said Stanford professor Chris Gerdes will show that the malfunctions Gilbert produced "are completely unrealistic under real-world conditions and can easily be reproduced on a wide range of vehicles made by other manufacturers."

Stanford's Center for Automotive Research is funded by a group of auto companies, including Toyota.

The event planned Monday is part of a broad campaign by the world's biggest automaker to discredit critics, repair its damaged reputation and begin restoring trust in its vehicles.
    Many here have asked why no expert witnesses from Toyota were questioned at the hearings. Sounds like it was Toyota not Congress holding back information and expert witnesses.

The embattled automaker also faces a demand from unsatisfied House Democrats that it provide this week engineers or managers with "personal knowledge" of its efforts regarding unintended acceleration.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee, in a letter to Toyota's U.S. sales chief, said that there is "an absence of documents" to show Toyota has thoroughly investigated whether electronics are causing unintended acceleration. The panel held a hearing about Toyota on Feb. 23. Toyota President Akio Toyoda told a different House committee Feb. 24 he is "absolutely confident" there is no electronics problem.

Adding pressure, however, is that the government said Thursday that it has "more than 60" reports from Toyota owners about unintended acceleration in cars recalled and repaired by Toyota for what it says could cause the problem: 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix gas pedals that could stick and 5.3 million over floor mats that might jam pedals.

USA TODAY found at least 14 new acceleration complaints filed Friday and Saturday from owners who had already had their vehicles fixed under the recall.

Will Toyota comply or try to pull a quick one by using hired guns to discredit other experts. Such as the lame attack on the ABC video report.
  • carlupicarlupi Posts: 52
    I would appreciate hearing from Avalon owners (specially 2008-2009) who have had the accelerator pedal and floor mat recall work performed.

Has there been any noticeable difference in the feel or performance of the pedal, etc., after the work? Also, why are the 2010 Avalons not involved in the recall? Different pedal assembly or design?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,356
    gagrice.....just more of the same we've seen from Toyota. I kind of felt something was being hidden when Toyota had none of their engineering folks present at the Congressional hearings to either testify, or at least advise Lentz, Inaba, or Toyoda.

Clearly, they don't want the truth to be known. And, Toyota is doing everything within their power to block, hide, hinder, dismiss and deny.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,665
    How do you expect anyone to get to the truth if you only hear one side of the argument?

It is amazing to me to see so many people who feel that Toyota does not have the right to defend themselves !! This is the U.S.A., not a kangaroo court in some banana republic.

Whether some of you here like it or not, you can expect a very strong and vigorous defense from Toyota. I am looking forward to hearing all the evidence from both sides before coming to any conclusions

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• jofallonjofallon Posts: 29
    It's hard to get both sides of the argument when one side keeps its expert witnesses in Japan. It's not very likely that Toyota's "defense" team at Stanford will get access to the source code for the onboard computers or data from the "black box" in the cars.
    edited March 2010
    It is amazing to me to see so many people who feel that Toyota does not have the right to defend themselves !!

I have no problem with that. Why do you feel that the consumer should not have the right to sue Toyota when their cars experience UA? Why, when Toyota had a recall on floor mats 3 years ago, dealers are still putting them in cars that end up killing people. I am waiting to hear from the Lexus dealer that did just that. Was he warned by Lexus corporate? I cannot believe how many people are willing to give Toyota the benefit of the doubt and not the consumer.

I think this says a lot:

Toyota's culture faulted in recall crisis

No Toyota executive in America was authorized to issue a recall. That included Jim Lentz, Toyota's top American sales executive, and his boss, Yoshi Inaba, who oversees North America.

"Most of the information was one-way. ... back to Japan," Lentz testified before Congress in late February.

Replied Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass.: "What you're saying is that, ultimately, the decisions are made in Japan?"

An exodus of key American leaders from Toyota since 2006 may have been a sign of tensions that are just now coming to light amid the company's first serious crisis in more than 50 years of selling cars in the U.S., according to people familiar with the company.

Press left in 2007 to take a top position with Chrysler. Another Toyota marketing leader, Jim Farley, left in 2007 for Ford, where he is now global marketing chief. Deborah Wahl Meyer, who headed the Lexus brand, left for Chrysler in 2007 and now is chief marketing officer for Pulte Homes.

That is not to suggest that Toyota would have escaped the recent highly publicized recalls had those executives stayed. All left for attractive opportunities.

Rapid expansion, strained engineering resources and a centralized corporate structure put stress on Toyota's admired and widely emulated corporate discipline.

Engineers took on heavier workloads. Less priority was given to working closely with suppliers on quality.

A growing dependence on the U.S. for profits and aggressive expansion, the latter of which resulted in the closure of Toyota's and GM's Fremont, Calif., joint venture and an empty assembly plant in Blue Springs, Miss.

• A growing frustration among non-Japanese managers that they were underutilized and sometimes ignored by superiors in Japan.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100308/BUSINESS01/3080373/1318/Toyotas-culture-fa- - ulted-in-recall-crisis

All adds up to the current mess Toyota has gotten itself into.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited March 2010
    All the Exponent stuff has been interesting to me (and I suspect to a lot of other members who, like me, had never heard of them). And they are going to be instrumental in fashioning Toyota's position. I don't know how they would be any less topical to this discussion than Sean Kane's outfit or Dr. Gilbert's university.
    As big as Exponent seems to be. I had never heard of them either. I did some research and came to the conclusion they are they are the BIG DOGs used to win court cases. Nothing to do with fixing Toyota's UA.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,356
    houdini...conversely, it's hard to get at the truth when so much has been hidden, like unreadable "black boxes" (at least until recently), documents which may contain evidence of electrical/software problems that took a Congressional mandate to get hold of, repeated denials and lies from Toyota executives regarding their knowledge of the issues (just one example, the slide show Inaba says wasn't his stipulating Toyota's money savings by circumventing safety regs). On the very first slide, it shows that Inaba did indeed host the discussion about that very topic.

It goes on and on.

I have no problem in anyone mounting a defense, as long as both parties have access to the same, correct information. Not like it has been with Congress and even NHTSA having to arm wrestle Toyota to get such information.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec