Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The braking issue seems to be in Gen 3 Prius. Gen 2 Prius has considerable handling issues with cross wind and slick roads. Some of those have been resolved with later versions of the Gen 2. I understand the touring version handles better. While I did not feel unsafe around town in my friends 2009 Prius. I would not want to head out on the highway with him. To each his own. I prefer large, heavy, solid, comfort and safety over superfluous gas mileage.
  • buyamerican2buyamerican2 Member Posts: 16
    There is a tendency to write off the Audi 5000 issue as not being Audi's responsibility. the facts are that it most definitely was a design flaw. Yes, there was consensus that the drivers were pressing the gas pedal thinking it was the brake pedal, but why just the Audi 5000? Well, if you have ever driven a 5000 you would know why. The first time I sat in a 5000, I felt awkardly uncomfortable. I was sitting square to the vehicle but my legs were heading off to the left. I could not get comfortable with this when trying to navigate the pedals. So I looked into why the pedals were so far to the left. As it turns out, the longitudinal FWD (engine running N-S instead of the more conventional E-W) creates a very large "transmission" tunnel. It is much larger than other vehicles which necessitates moving the pedals to the left. If you have become accustomed to a more normal layout of pedals, this unusual position leads to the driver thinking he has his foot on the brake when in fact it is on the accelerator resulting in an uncontrolled vehicle. Clearly a bad design.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I'll have the recall done, but I'm just curious whether there are any unintended consequences related to this "fix".
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Say, a guy who's had an impeccable financial history gets cancer. He can't pay all the medical bills despite having insurance, has to file for bankruptcy, his credit is ruined and he's suddenly a [non-permissible content removed]?
    edited March 2010
    Say there was some kind of weird reverse lottery where the majority are "losers" who would get a million dollars but the few "winners" get shot in the head with a large-caliber handgun. Would you buy a ticket?
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    After reviewing all press releases this am CHP reports is still unchanged and stands as reported. NHTSA and Toyota, with California Rep. Issa R(committee member of Senate investigation representative being present during engineering investigation are investigating. It does appear according to some reports they are aware of Sikes past. I have only seen one major news outlet address the internet suspicions & rumors/possible facts on issue so far - Fox News.

Facts of the case will be investigated. As it now stands SUA/UA did happen as it was reported per CHP officer and Sikes and news reports. The officers publicly released interview/new reports have this officer stating stating brake material was visibly on tires and ground - are difficult observations to disregard or dismiss easily. The CHP release of 911 tape is another problem. Sikes background will be investigated, but CHP report findings do have huge impact.

Until proven otherwise, incident so far is a SUA/UA incident. This is just a fact.

Here's Mr. Sikes' car in the pitstop at Daytona.

I guess our 'Yota fanboys will also claim they saw him get caught by Chris Hanson on "To Catch a Predator."
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    edited March 2010
    Since it has only been a couple of months since the dealers began getting parts, and doing this pedal "fix", this is most difficult question to even speculate about,at best. BTW: I was one of those that NEVER even got the recall notice from Toyota!!!! My Dealer was good enough to look it up for me on Their VIN# listing!

I have heard mention that if you have a sensitive foot (feel) that you may notice a slightly faster "return" action of the pedal when released....also some have said the pedal is a bit more sensitive. personally, I do not like the feel of the shimmed pedal, but that is just me....most cannot feel a difference.

THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT , IF ANY, THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF THIS FIX MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE!!!

depending on the state, if you do not have it done, and there is an "incident", YOU COULD SHARE SOME OF THE LIABILITY YOURSELF!!!! (This is called the A0A SAFETY" RECALL) reproduced below
    (as in negligent liability issues!)

FYI, if you did not know, there are a few different iterations of this Document floating around in the USA. There is even some confusion at Toyota USA!!!

One says something to the effect that if you do not like the feel, or are dissatisfied, that you can have the entire pedal replaced at NO CHARGE to you.....catch is, you must have the shim fix first before you apply to get a new pedal...AGAIN, THERE ARE A FEW OF THESE DOCS AROUND AND SOME SAY IT AND SOME DO NOT!

Safety Recall A0A - Accelerator Pedal Reinforcement Bar Installation
    Non pertinent sections removed by OP 9BEGIN RDIT!)

Q1: What is the condition?
    A1: There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may mechanically stick in a partially
    depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.
    Q2: What is the cause of this condition?
    A2: Over time, the internal mechanisms in the accelerator pedal may become worn. As a result of this wear
    combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, friction in the mechanism may increase and
    intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being hard to depress and/or slow to return or, in the worst case,
    stick in a partially open position, increasing the risk of a crash.
    Q2a: Why does this condition only affect certain Toyota models?
    A2a: Toyota equips its vehicles with accelerator pedals manufactured by multiple
    The following is the portion of A0A that has been changed and may affect your situation!

Q8b: What if a customer is not satisfied with the accelerator pedal operation or the feel of the pedal
    after the reinforcement plate is installed?
    Q8b: If the customer is not satisfied with the accelerator pedal operation or the feel of the pedal after the
    reinforcement bar has been installed, a replacement accelerator pedal will be offered at no charge
    when they become available.

(Balance of Toyota Document A0A removed in the interests of space!)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    A friend of mine had his rubber oil line replaced this past week along with the recalls. He said it made no difference to him but was rather disturbed when he requested to have the rubber line replaced with a metal one and was told that they don't have the metal line in stock.

I'm wondering how Toyota was able to have the oil line replacement not designated as a recall. From what I've read the failure of the oil line could cause the oil to drain out of the motor causing the motor to freeze. Last I understood, a freezing motor at highway speed would constitute a safety hazard.
  • carbuff1171carbuff1171 Member Posts: 77
    This one is different. Why do you think China and even Toyota's own Japanese government is calling them on the carpet? I don't think the U.S. automakers have thatmuch influence. We are not talking about statistics. We are talking about a car company that has been stonewalling a problem for a long time rather than facing up to it (even if they cannot nail down the root cause).

Even now they are holding back. The recent California Prius incident provides proof that the UA problem is in the electronics. Toyota has no doubt known that for some time yet they deny it to this day. They also know that the problem has existed for a while in vehicles that they still refuse to recall or stop production of for selfish financial reasons, namely their "flagship" Prius and their high margin Lexus line. They make sure that nobody but Toyota can read their encrypted Event Data Recorder data in their vehicles. This company is void of ethics and is lying to the world, so maybe a witch-hunt is exactly what is called for. Maybe their unethical behavior does not bother you and based on dry statistics you are happy to let them off the hook and give them your money.
    So much has been uncovered since this all began with the off duty CHP officer Mark Saylor and family deaths in acidents San Diego, and the CHP 911 call release that went viral. This time it was Toyota in the hot seat as it was their auto model which was also a dealer loaner. Adding to their problems was fact they did have documented SUA/UA problems since 2003 - just after ETC implementation 2002.

I have been very disappointed, and shocked at the publicly released discoveries/investigations regarding Toyota. And Toyota was not stomping on/out any of the claims with proof. It would have been easy to "nip all in the bud" immediately.

Sure other manufacturers have issues too, but the public outcry presently is against Toyota. This was no government or other manufacturers conspiracy against Toyota. Facts do not support. Toyota has to face the crisis caused by this one incident and the publicly revealed multiple problems with SUA/UA over the years. One incident can not cause a crisis if no problems related to incident do not already exist for that corporation. Their history of problems is what caused this crisis to become a major ongoing/continued crisis. Too much detrimental information about Toyota just keeps dribbling out.

Just saw this morning Orange County DA, California has filed civil case against Toyota this morning. DA offices do not file case unless proof is established/legal analysis opinion they need to prosecute. I had posted a link I found yesterday when checking what market did yesterday. There was story right at top of the few news headlines
    present.
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/defects-238980-santa-suing.html

Here - LA Times article was interesting as they discussed past actions, lawsuits, investigations against other manufacturers and what really happened in the end.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-legal12-2010mar12,0,4401308.story

Here is also some great food for thought for everyone. MSNBC investigative reporter wrote the article. Article appears nonbiased and well done. Auto electronics and the problems discussed at length. Consumers are driving cars that are actually controlled by electronics.
    http://redtape.msnbc.com/2010/03/toyota-woes-raise-ghost-in-the-machine-fears.ht- ml#posts

Toyota now going on the offensive attacking may/could backfire. Toyota's attorney hiring of the questionable defense litigation firm Exponent reveals so much to me. Note I mention Toyota's attornies hired, as this does have great legal protection/control of all their reports. Their reports are protected under attorney client privilege. Their reports are also protected well in any lawsuits/court proceeding from being released to public, and many times court records are sealed. Even though public knowledge of case could help protect the public from accidents/injury/death. Most of Toyota's settlements are reached under nondisclosure terms. This is just US law and how it works. Not good.

Of course Toyota is withholding information. Corporations do this. It's called the corporate veil.
    Please read my recent post. Many of the issues you addressed are addressed in this post. Please this is not a Democratic. Republican, Independant, etc crusade.. The public outcry pressure is what has caused this to become a crisis. Presently a Democrat is President, so this administration must respond. If Republican was President - Republicans administration would be addressing.

Other manufacturers have had similar public outcry crisis situaions too. Each has their own details and history. Other manufacturers have SUA/UA complaints too. But as I said this time it is Toyota because Saylor family accident causing deaths, release of 911 tape going viral was main factor causing the public outcry. And then the detrimental information coming out. Didn't have to reach this magnitude, Toyota could have easily countered. Coorporation did not do. Words have no meaning. Proof does. No proof provided early on.

This is a safety issue only. Not political issue. Webhost has asked us to please refrain from the use of politics in our discussions. Smile - just a heads up alert.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    I think the Toyo problem has several causes.
    1. Most of the parking lot and low speed cases of UA are drivers hitting the accelerator instead of the brake, i.e., driver error.
    2. There could be some cases here of a sticking accel pedal also. Sometimes my '06 Avalon is very fast starting out as if maybe the pedal is sticking slightly at idle. Hard to tell, and only on certain days.
    3. The people driving on the interestates are obviously not doing that while in cruise mode. I don't think it's the floor mats in most cases, other than some fool putting a heavy mat on top of another mat already there. Maybe at a dealership they want to keep the original mat looking new.
    4. I think the main problem is going to be electronic interference in the wiring system or ECM coming from a myrid of potential causes, such as the electrical components of the car itself, cell phones, towers, power lines, and circuit boards and ICs. The inputs and innards of the ECM are low voltage and it wouldn't take much to throw them off. I know from times of trying to get my tv fixed when it was an intermittent problem, every electronics tech I ever met has said, "I can't tell what's wrong with it when it's working properly. Call me when it does it again." This is what Toyo is probably struggling with.
    Maybe Gilbert and the other smart guys and Toyo engineers need to poke and prod around, creating every possible scenario, then figure out a fail safe solution to each problem, then design a black box to record it and a brake override that works in all cases, no matter what goes wrong. Then the govt will probably have to mandate it on all cars. This could be very, very expensive for Toyo, as well as other manufacturers, because lots of them have this potential problem.
    So far, I still love my Avalon. Getting sick of the feeding frenzy in the media, though. More politicians will be piling on soon, I imagine, to distract us from our beloved banksters on Wall Street and the politicians' taking bribe money from them (campaign contributions) in return for passing out our money to them left and right and creating debt that we will never be able to pay back.
    Another article on this and the Audi history are here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704349304575115952186305536.html?m- od=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    I think the Toyo problem has several causes.
    1. Most of the parking lot and low speed cases of UA are drivers hitting the accelerator instead of the brake, i.e., driver error.
    2. There could be some cases here of a sticking accel pedal also. Sometimes my '06 Avalon is very fast starting out as if maybe the pedal is sticking slightly at idle. Hard to tell, and only on certain days.
    3. The people driving on the interestates are obviously not doing that while in cruise mode. I don't think it's the floor mats in most cases, other than some fool putting a heavy mat on top of another mat already there. Maybe at a dealership they want to keep the original mat looking new.
    4. I think the main problem is going to be electronic interference in the wiring system or ECM coming from a myrid of potential causes, such as the electrical components of the car itself, cell phones, towers, power lines, and circuit boards and ICs. The inputs and innards of the ECM are low voltage and it wouldn't take much to throw them off. I know from times of trying to get my tv fixed when it was an intermittent problem, every electronics tech I ever met has said, "I can't tell what's wrong with it when it's working properly. Call me when it does it again." This is what Toyo is probably struggling with.
    Maybe Gilbert and the other smart guys and Toyo engineers need to poke and prod around, creating every possible scenario, then figure out a fail safe solution to each problem, then design a black box to record it and a brake override that works in all cases, no matter what goes wrong. Then the govt will probably have to mandate it on all cars. This could be very, very expensive for Toyo, as well as other manufacturers, because lots of them have this potential problem.
    So far, I still love my Avalon. Getting sick of the feeding frenzy in the media, though. More politicians will be piling on soon, I imagine, to distract us from our beloved banksters on Wall Street and the politicians' taking bribe money from them (campaign contributions) in return for passing out our money to them left and right and creating debt that we will never be able to pay back.
    Another article on this and the Audi history are here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704349304575115952186305536.html?m- od=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews.
    This is the Audi SUA/UA history. Records reveal went on over several years. Toyota is presently the manufacturer that had vehicle in the accident that has been most influential factor leading to the present crisis investigation, etc. Came out Toyota did have SUA/UA problems since 2002.

"In the 1980s, Audi became the poster child for Sudden Unintended Acceleration. And in many ways, this vehicle’s SUA problem became the model of how these problems would be investigated by NHTSA, defended by the industry and used as the sine qua non of SUA myth-busting.

More than 1,000 consumers alleged that their Audi 5000 vehicles had accelerated without driver input; 175 had been injured, and four died in SUA crashes. The company denied that there was anything wrong with the vehicle and blamed the problem on shorter than average drivers who did not have much experience driving an Audi. These small, confused drivers had mistakenly depressed the gas pedal when they meant to step on the brake, Audi said. The response was a public relations and marketing nightmare. Audi sales plunged, and the complaints continued.

The Audi 5000 was the subject of an infamous 60 Minutes story, in which the news program attempted to simulate SUA. The broadcast drove Audi sales down further, and the network was heavily criticized for its one-sided story. As the history is often recounted today, NHTSA vindicated Audi and CBS never apologized for maligning the automaker.

However, between 1982 and 1987, Audi launched five recalls to address the problem. The first three attempted to fix what Audi had characterized as the driver-error problem by tweaking the pedal positions. The fifth and final recall for 250,000 1978 to 1987 vehicles added a brake-shift interlock – which requires drivers to depress the brake pedal before shifting out of the Park position.

The fourth recall was probably the most telling about the Audi 5000’s SUA problem. In 1987, Audi recalled 81,000 Audi 5000s from the 1986 and 1987 model years, for worn idle stabilizer units. As Audi explained to its customers: “The idle stabilizer has the purpose of maintaining uniform engine idle speed by regulating air flow under different operating conditions, such as variations in engine temperature, and on/off cycling of the air conditioner or power assist pump. Excessive idle stabilizer wear causes engine idle fluctuations which increase with the usage of the car. If a worn unit is not replaced in a timely fashion, the engine idle could ultimately see-saw so severely that it may surprise a driver who is not acquainted with the vehicle’s condition and fails to apply the brake. Under these circumstances, there is a risk of a collision in a confined space with the possibility of injury.” (In others words, dear driver, it’s still your fault.)

Audi received much of the attention, due in part to victims, who organized and advocated very effectively for themselves."
    Is this what Toyota is having cusotmers sign off on???? Does Toyota have these legal items in these notices or customer sign off agreements?? Is this agreement published anywhere on Toyota websit??

I have heard there could be possilbe legal implications to a Toyota owner if owner did not have recall fix done, and then was involved in accident. If attorneys could prove your negligence caused/contributed to accident - yes owner would be liable.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    The Toyota position of flying the VVTi oil line problem "under the radar" and getting away with it is probably the most clearcut example of the Toyota mentality in not admitting to, or dealing with, major customer problems. The only true fix is the metal oil line that is now original equipment on all 2GR-FE V-6 engines (after mid 2008). Toyota dealers have made it almost impossible to get the oil line replaced with anything but another rubber line. "It won't fit, it will void the warranty, it's not in stock, it will cost you $300 plus" are common excuses. An oil line failure that can immediately dump all the engine oil under the wheels at highway speed IS A SAFETY HAZARD for my vehicle, and possibly following traffic. If you don't believe it, just watch NASCAR. Google "toyotav6oillinescandal" for a couple of pages of hard facts about Toyota's shameful handling of this issue.
  • vmrgvmrg Member Posts: 9
    A few articles about the latest incident:
    Why James Sikes Is a Hybrid Hero

Toyota Hybrid Horror Hoax

Innocent until proven guilty argument, does that apply to his car as well? :confuse:
    Seems like more media news outlets are now reporting since I posted 9:31 am this morning. Investigations will scrutinize Sikes background extensively, look at/review the facts, his testimoney, CHP officer's testimony, CHP report record and all CHP related transactions that occurred that day, engineer reports, etc. Decision will be reached. As I said this morning, as reported it presently still stands as a SUA/UA incident.

Sikes is facing/having to answer to the same public outcry & reaction as Toyota is facing/has been facing. Public wants to find the truth. US modern technology use is high, information widely available and travels fast, and that is great! Amatuer researchers are vigilent in their pursuit to get to truth. All is fair, and goes both ways. Sikes must answer questions and address his background. Toyota has problems and they must answer and address as well. Toyota problems can not be overlooked - not with FBI, SEC, Multiple DA lawsuits, individual lawsuits, congressional & senate investigations. former Toyota engineer providing information to FBI, etc. This does not appear to be a witch hunt, as major problems have been brought to light. It's the problems that have been brought to light that have caused all the pursuit against Toyota. And Toyota did not/or could not/or would not easily stomp out each claim/problem as they developed. Would have been easy to implement this strategy, didn't happen. Toyota must accept what they face now, as this strategy approach was their own corporate decision.
    lemko - do you know something aobut Sikes medical history??? Did he have cancer???
    NHTSA allowed this approach by Toyota to proceed ahead with their oil line problem. Some problems are present/exist with this type of solution to address a problem.

Toyota press announcement
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/limited-service-campaign-for-vvt-154549.aspx

Some information about Service Campaigns/Bulletins

NHTSA accepted Service Campaigns as Safety Recalls even though Service Campaigns are not subject to the provisions of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act or the regulations enacted there under. In many cases, Defect Investigations are opened based on an existing Service Campaign or a Technical Service Bulletin. Sometimes, they are closed based on a Service Campaign or a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) issued during the investigation. Unlike Safety Recalls or Safety Improvement Campaign, NHTSA does not uniformly provide copies of such documents on its Website.

NOTE - Unless the consumer gets access to the Service Campaign or TSB, the consumer will often not get the repair set forward in the Service Campaign or TSB.

NHTSA has no policy in place to ensure that TSBs or Service Campaigns that are used to justify opening or closing an investigation are placed on the agency's website.
    Just was saying I could not understand why Toyota engineers and NHTSA investigators balked at having Rep Issa's representative present when examining the Prius. Issa is on national government committee doing the investigation, and seems should have been allowed and welcomed.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    Innocent until proven guilty argument, does that apply to his car as well?

Sikes never fooled me one bit. My "lie detector" was all over the place during his interview.
    Since it has only been a couple of months since the dealers began getting parts, and doing this pedal "fix", this is most difficult question to even speculate about,at best.

2009 Camry here....The pedal fix recall is the least of my concerns. I wouldn't be interested in the floor mat recall either were it not for the brake override firmware upgrade that comes with it. My appointment is 3/20 for 10,000 mile service and both recalls.
    So Sikes has a dicey history. Is he smart enough to circumvent the brake override system built into the Prius? If he is maybe Toyota should hire him to figure out where all the electronic gremlins are in the Toyota DBW systems that keep failing.
    More from AP on Sike's runaway Prius:

Doubters have asked why Sikes didn't put the car in neutral as a California Highway Patrol dispatcher and an officer repeatedly urged him to do. Sikes said he considered going into neutral but worried he might go into reverse or flip.

"I had never played with this kind of transmission, especially when you're driving, and I was actually afraid to do that," he said Tuesday. "I was afraid to do anything out of the normal."

Toyota has said all Priuses are equipped with a computer system that cuts power to the wheels if the brake and gas pedals are depressed at the same time, as Sikes was doing.

"It's tough for us to say if we're skeptical. I'm mystified in how it could happen with the brake override system," Don Esmond, senior vice president of automotive operations for Toyota Motor Sales, said Thursday.

Raj Rajkumar, an electrical and computer-engineering professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh who studies auto electronics, said the Prius could still have acceleration malfunctions even with the fail-safe system.

Toyota says the fail-safe and the engine are controlled by a central computer that contains two independent microprocessors that communicate and must agree with each other. If there's a disagreement, power would be cut to the wheels.

But Rajkumar said the two engine control unit microprocessors could still receive common erroneous signals from sensors or experience software errors that could cause the throttle and the fail-safe mechanism to malfunction.

Runaway Prius

Even Toyota people are baffled by their Prius Runaway.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    Some of the sites that broke Sike's story are saying...

"attorney for James Sikes says his client has no intention of suing Toyota"

Looks like somebody has some sense. I guess they figured out it would a hard scam to run with his background exposed. I wonder if the insurance companies that were involved will revisit his prior claims. That was a bunch of money he got from them.

John
    edited March 2010
    Is he smart enough to circumvent the brake override system built into the Prius?

The only certainty here is uncertainty. Maybe Sikes discovered that brake override was not working on his particular car. I have seen several reports from 2008 Prius drivers that state they are not able to engage neutral or stop the car using the on-button while driving. However, the opposite has been clearly demonstrated on You Tube and other places. Perhaps they were not created equally after all.
    From the same AP news article:

"It would be irresponsible to assert it's a hoax without having facts."

Todd Neibert, the officer who gave instructions to Sikes over a loudspeaker, said he smelled burning brakes when he caught up with the Prius. He examined the car when it came to a stop.

"The brakes were definitely down to hardly any material," he told reporters. "There was a bunch of brake material on the ground and inside the wheels."

Sikes said afterward that he was "embarrassed" by the incident, suggesting that he wished he would have handled it differently. "I'm just embarrassed about that," he said. "You have to be there. That's all I can say."

Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said Friday that investigators are best positioned to determine if there was a hoax, but no evidence has emerged.

A representative of Issa's office was at a California Toyota dealership when investigators from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Toyota examined Sikes' blue Prius on Wednesday and Thursday.

"Where are these suggestions coming from?" he said. "It would be irresponsible to assert it's a hoax without having facts."

Joan Claybrook, a former NHTSA administrator, said Sikes' refusal to shift to neutral, is understandable.

"It's such a horrifying experience to be completely out of control," she said. "It's the kind of thing you dream about when you're really upset and you wake up in sweats."

I can tell you where the hoax stories are coming from. Toyota damage control specialists and Toyota worshipers on the web. Toyota has spent the last decade discrediting victims of UA, instead of fixing their problems.
    I can tell you where the hoax stories are coming from.

Actually, most are coming from the same media that benefits from a hot story either way. Two days earlier they had a hot runaway story. Today, they have a hot hoax story.

Whatever, polls seem to favor it to be hoax. The only certainty is uncertainty. FWIW, I think it was a hoax.
    Sikes having an alleged dicey history still has not caused SUA/UA incident to be dismissed. So far all stands as it was this am. Sikes alleged dicey history may have no bearing at all upon the pertinent facts of this Prius SUA/UA incident.

You are quite correct when you ask if he could disable brake override feature installed on his auto. Brake override is a computer program, and that in and of itself says alot. Any deletion of program would be discovered, as auto secured at CHP site following incident. Auto not given back to Sikes. CHP officer assisting Sikes during incident smelled burning of brakes, and verbal/written news reports indicate this same CHP officer saw brake material on wheels and ground. No CHP officer would risk losing his job by lying.

Gagrice thanks for bringing this fact forward. And then - why didn't brake override work??? Brakes should have stopped Prius quite easily.
    I was just back reviewing posts and had just responded to your earlier post. Refer to my new recent post. Once again thanks for reminding me of brake override system on Prius. I had missed this important factor when saying incident still remains as reported.
    Brakes should have stopped Prius quite easily.

Correct! See videos here;

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-jamessikesinvestigated0311,0,46776- 51.story

I suspect one could induce brake wear and smell, without stopping, by adjusting brake pedal pressure accordingly. In other words, ease off the brakes when the car showed signs of stopping. Not too difficult for a con artist. He didn't even have to practice.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "So far all stands as it was this am."

Maybe where you live, but everyone doesn't think the way you do.

John
    Excellent job finding that article! This is the first glimmer of acknowledgment I have seen from Toyota that this event should not have been possible (even if attempted on purpose) if the Prius was working as designed. They really have to be backed into a corner to admit anything don't they?
    Fox news report deals mainly with Sikes alleged dicey history. Fox News report appears to only be making point Sikes has questionable history.. They did not investigte further or speak with ISSA, NHTSA, or CHP about the facts of the case. Fox did speak with Toyota spokeman though and it seems Sikes wants to turn in his leased Prius for a new car to lease. Toyota states they can not imagine how auto could not stop when auto has brake override. Sikes is not suing, does not want money from Toyota per his attorney. Investigation is good, but was disappointed they did not go further. They only mention in one or two sentences other people have had UA complaints at the end of the story. No mention of incident facts this case.

AP news report mentioned by gagrice actually went lots further - Issa who is actually on government committee investigating Toyota states incident will be reviewed fairly. So far case does not appear to be hoax and no claims of such should be made without knowing all the facts. Joan Claybrook who was former head of NHTSA states she can understand Sikes reaction in an emergency. CHP stated they asked Sikes to do news interviews. CHP has found no evidence of a hoax. The Mark Saylor family attorney is now protecting Sikes through the investigation process. Considering the publicity and legal issues this is being very prudent. Anyone, even if they had totally spotless history should have an attorney. Attorney states Sikes is not suing Toyota. Raj Rajkumar, an electrical and computer-engineering professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh who studies auto electronics, said the Prius could still have acceleration malfunctions even with the fail-safe system. Toyota says the fail-safe and the engine are controlled by a central computer that contains two independent microprocessors that communicate and must agree with each other. If there's a disagreement, power would be cut to the wheels. But Rajkumar said the two engine control unit microprocessors could still receive common erroneous signals from sensors or experience software errors that could cause the throttle and the fail-safe mechanism to malfunction.

Here is AP News reporter story link.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22826761/detail.html
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2010
    ENOUGH ALREADY...!!

Toyota/etc is stretching the truth just a little bit when they say the Prius has a brake override system. In reality I doubt that Toyota's USA management even knows the truth of the matter.

Toyota's HSD system is designed so that when the brake is applied, brake light switch closes, the ICE and the 2 MGs go into regenerative braking mode. It is THAT inherent design aspect that Toyota is using in order to say the Prius already has a BTO, Brake/Throttle Override system.
    That is quite easy, go as fast as you can, leave the gas and slightly touch brakes, officer thinks you are braking hard with "little" effect.

Now, you explain this to me. His brakes are either working or not. And his brakes WERE working. Never any question about that. He eventually used his brakes to slow down (yeah, yeah, with a little help from the parking brake, if anyone buys that). There is no way brakes won't stop a Prius. I can understand a more powerful car but no way with Prius. And they did, when CHP came over, so why not earlier? Explain that if you can.
    I indicated the law enforcement agency in California, CHP gave/released to news report of runaway Prius. And they gave the news reports. CHP reports so far legally stands at this time. CHP reported they saw no evidence of incident being a hoax. This is the fact of where case is at presently.
    Fox news report deals mainly with Sikes alleged dicey history.

1. Brake smell and residue and the car never stopped
    2. Refusal to press the on/off button
    3. Refusal to shift to neutral
    4. Could contort himself sufficiently enough to attempt to "right" the stuck pedal

The list goes on. Actually, for me it was his interview, his body language and poor theatrics were a dead give away.
    Could you please explain your professional/hobby expertise.

And yes, brakes with brake override should work. But something appears to have happened per reports. CHP reports they have seen no evidence of a hoax. CHP is the law enforcement agency and courts realize legal standing/importance of CHP reports.

Have you read all of the news reports of this particular incident of the actual road terrain to get vehicle stopped? Did you see CHP officers report the three listed things why he felt they were able to get vehicle stopped? Did you know auto at the end was going up a hill???? Vehicle then slowed down climbing this hill. Did you read reports brakes didn't actually work well, vehicle after few/couple attempts was shut off at about 55mph?? Vehicle rolled to stop, with help of what brakes were left??? Did you know cell phone was hand held, so difficult to drive and talk/listen cell phone?? Did you read or see officer reporting he saw bunch of brake material on tires and ground??? Did you read CHP officer report about the brakes??

Gagrice lives there, he is great help to understand that road - I-8.
    So Prius really doesn't have true brake override system??? Interesting. I was going by Toyota reports. Missed your expertise here today.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..if anyone buys that..."

Wouldn't the already "weak" rear braking have been compromised by ABS??

Even if the rear brakes were strong enough to bring the wheels close to stopping ABS would prevent the rear wheels from slowing much more than the front wheels.

The e-brake is not affected by ABS.
    There was a Colorado incident of a runaway Prius. James family. They were actually strong supporters/advocates for Toyota prior to incident. Husband had been awarded a $10,000 scholarship award. Then Toyota treatment following incident really upset them. They are not pursuing any legal action.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    wouldn't it cause the system into regenerative braking - you know turning motor into generator and not use brake pads at all.
    Regardles of the history of the driver Prius should not behave as witnessed, unless its computer was tampered with.

Krzys
    You have to remember that to some of our posters, Toyota is not just a car company. They are gods to be revered. If you have followed Edmund's as I have since 1998 you know that people will attack anyone that says negative things about the car they love. With Toyota and especially Prius worshippers it is far more. If you say anything negative about a Prius or hybrid you are a pariah. Every person that has posted something bad happening with their Prius here on Edmund's have been called everything including a liar. So when we have a Prius going berzerk with a cop as witness, they go into overload. Has to be a hoax. Toyota makes no mistakes. Well I think they are in deep doo doo about now. This incident will stick.

Claybrook, the former federal administrator, noted that drivers often come under heavy scrutiny for reporting unintended acceleration.

"Attacking the driver has long been the answer that not just Toyota, but the entire industry, has had," she said. "Blaming the driver is old hat."

I hope we have some sharp people looking at this Prius and get to the bottom of the problem. It will look real bad if the NHTSA finds the flaw and not Toyota.
    You have to remember that to some of our posters, Toyota is not just a car company. They are gods to be revered.

I will just make a few points, no need for me to extend this any further. The way I see it, that quote explains your state of mind. Toyota can do no good for you.

At the end, I know who I am. I have no allegiance to Toyota, heck never even owned a Toyota. I didn't even say Toyota had no fault in all this. I saw those stats, although all automakers had UA, Toyota had them at a higher rate the last few years.

However, when people fail to acknowledge at least some of these cases should be driver errors they lose their credibility with me.

Ditto if you can't say it is likely an 80 year old confused brake pedal with gas pedal when he drives into a laundromat.

Or if you can't see now that Toyota's troubles had so much air time, some Toyota drivers might blame UA in case of an accident.

Or this very last case reeks of suspicion to say the least.

Anyway, I should have learned long ago that nobody change their opinions in these type of discussions. I certainly won't change my opinion that all things considered Toyota is one of the safer car makes to drive so have a nice day bashing Toyota.
    I have a Toyota RAV4 so have a good vested interest to discover the truth. Just don't want to see myself having such a Toyota preferred and loyal view that I can't objectively view the problems.

The California legal authority agency report still stands for now. Now the investigation reports will be released eventually. I do want to know who did Toyota send as their engineeers?? Were these their own inhouse engineers, or Exponent engineers?? Or were they just Toyota techs?? Who did NHTSA send to investigate?

If Toyota sent their hired gun Exponent engineers and one of their own inhouse down, then I do see a major problem. Think you have seen the multiple links I provided of documented detrimental information about that firm.

I understand what Claybrook is saying. I have read muliple case reports revealing this same response by manufacturers/Toyota. Some have even had witnesses saying car took off. Yet those owners were told it was their fault. Seems to be associated with that states particular laws. If liability laws are weak manufacturers gamble and are quite agressive.

I too hope the huge media publicity, CHP, public watching closely - the real facts of the case bring a fair decision. NHTSA really doesn't have top notch auto engineers though.
    Some of us got your point days ago. However since the net effect is the same regarding setting the engine to idle when the brake is applied, it is just easier to call it brake override rather than repeat a whole paragraph so as to remain technically proper. That is probably why Toyota is doing it too.

Is there another 2-3 word name for what it really is that conveys the idea that the brake is supposed to override the throttle? Or can we just call it brake override?
    For those that would like a brief diversion.

I-70 Runaway Prius Ramp