Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• mlocamloca Member Posts: 15
    Like my boat or father's 1931 Model A; install a kill switch.

Problem solved and I'm not an engineer.
    I do know that products have firmware issues and this would mitigate the problem.
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    A kill switch has been mentioned on these blogs befroe. One person did do it. And reported back.
    What you requested. I took time to search among my bookmarks for this one by LA Times to help you. Rest of of what you are requesting, it's out there. Please search the multiple safety agency site, NHTSA, etc. And Edmunds has done two data studies of SUA/UA incidents. Other studies exist, as well. .

Toyota is already coming back. Latest news in market financial section reveals such. Edmunds also.

Good luck
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    looking at the total number of deaths in a certain manufacturer's vehicles, regardless of the cause.

Probably the single worst vehicle for fatalities on a per vehicle-basis would be a Dodge Viper, which can't have UA as it is only a manual. :D How does your suggestion help since that would include all accidents?
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I was reading your post with great interest.I was nodding my head..."yeah,that's right man,right on"....until the very end.I have read somewhere,maybe on the Toyota site,that you should NOT use your "parking brake" which is often called emergency brake, in such a situation.First put it into neutral,and then you can hold down the start button for 3 secs.Actually 2 will do it,I think. :blush:
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    It helps put things in perspective.

For instance, if you drive a Dodge Viper 100,000 miles, you are far more likely to die than driving a Prius for 100,000 miles. We have to get things back in perspective and look at the bigger picture.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • buyamerican2buyamerican2 Member Posts: 16
    I can be very hilarious but not about this. It seems as though you have a better reason why only the Audi 5000 had the UA issue. And what might that be?? Have you ever driven or sat in a 5000? I have and it would be reason enough not to buy one and it probably was reason enough for many others not to buy one.
    The article you posted re: Nissan overtaking Toyota in
    China was interesting. Good for Nissan. I thought I saw a report Toyota has plans for expansion in China. SAU/UA problems here US will have no effect in China. I would assume China may censor the incoming internet information if they felt detrimental to any of their government goals.
  • carbuff1171carbuff1171 Member Posts: 77
    Nissan is owned by Renault of France. It used to be a Japanese company.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I took my floor mats out then I reconsidered it and put them back in.With the hooks going through those two holes,there is no way that they could interfere with the accelerator pedal.They are not even close to it.
  • carbuff1171carbuff1171 Member Posts: 77
    The NHTSA website lists 12 incidents for '07 Highlanders. About half appear to be due to floor mats. The others are inconclusive.
    Audi never did have all the UA incidents/complaints when they were the "poster child." Refer to article below. Take notice of last paragraph. This article seemed to say Audi was in the hot seat that time because owners organized and were very proactive.

My son and his wife just got Audi SUV AQ7. They love it. Performs well towing their boat. I have not sat in it yet, but will soon. Guess I'll find out then. I do know my husband had gotten the top model Audi in the 1980's and we had lots of electrical problems. Real lemon then. Everyone else was complainign too.

"Short People Can’t Drive Audis
    In the 1980s, Audi became the poster child for Sudden Unintended Acceleration. And in many ways, this vehicle’s SUA problem became the model of how these problems would be investigated by NHTSA, defended by the industry and used as the sine qua non of SUA myth-busting.

More than 1,000 consumers alleged that their Audi 5000 vehicles had accelerated without driver input; 175 had been injured, and four died in SUA crashes. The company denied that there was anything wrong with the vehicle and blamed the problem on shorter than average drivers who did not have much experience driving an Audi. These small, confused drivers had mistakenly depressed the gas pedal when they meant to step on the brake, Audi said. The response was a public relations and marketing nightmare. Audi sales plunged, and the complaints continued.

The Audi 5000 was the subject of an infamous 60 Minutes story, in which the news program attempted to simulate SUA. The broadcast drove Audi sales down further, and the network was heavily criticized for its one-sided story. As the history is often recounted today, NHTSA vindicated Audi and CBS never apologized for maligning the automaker.

However, between 1982 and 1987, Audi launched five recalls to address the problem. The first three attempted to fix what Audi had characterized as the driver-error problem by tweaking the pedal positions. The fifth and final recall for 250,000 1978 to 1987 vehicles added a brake-shift interlock – which requires drivers to depress the brake pedal before shifting out of the Park position.

The fourth recall was probably the most telling about the Audi 5000’s SUA problem. In 1987, Audi recalled 81,000 Audi 5000s from the 1986 and 1987 model years, for worn idle stabilizer units. As Audi explained to its customers: “The idle stabilizer has the purpose of maintaining uniform engine idle speed by regulating air flow under different operating conditions, such as variations in engine temperature, and on/off cycling of the air conditioner or power assist pump. Excessive idle stabilizer wear causes engine idle fluctuations which increase with the usage of the car. If a worn unit is not replaced in a timely fashion, the engine idle could ultimately see-saw so severely that it may surprise a driver who is not acquainted with the vehicle’s condition and fails to apply the brake. Under these circumstances, there is a risk of a collision in a confined space with the possibility of injury.” (In others words, dear driver, it’s still your fault.)

Audi received much of the attention, due in part to victims, who organized and advocated very effectively for themselves. NHTSA also received a significant number of complaints in the 1980s alleging SUA in Nissan 280/300ZX and Maxima, Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and various Ford, GM and Mercedes models. NHTSA opened a number of defect investigations into SUA, and closed many of them without finding a defect trend."
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    i have one of those neighbors that is always CR this and CR that.
    he probably wouldn't wipe his b*tt if the paper is not recommended by CR.
    not sure why he never bought a Toyota, though.
    i'm not anti CR, just not 'pro'. some people have no middle ground.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My neighbor had a Lexus 350S and her vehicle is under the recall for floor mats. She also checked her auto closely and saw foor mats just not an issue. She feels. She said her mats never move because of rubber backing. And she tried pushing pedal down and back up. No issue at all. She can't figure out why there is a recall on floor mats??

My RAV4 is fine with carpet mat plus all weather mat. Neither moves and is quite distant(4-5") from pedal. Carpet mat is attached to floor pegs. All weather is on top - because of rubber little pegs underneath it stays put where it is laid. That was first thing I checked if two would be ok. And was long before this all occurred.
    brake-shift interlock. Every vehicle has those for probably the last 20 years.
    my 1991 mustang has it. despite that, all these Toyota UA episodes. :confuse:
    Yes, complaints have continued. When you look back over the time line early on when these SUA/UA incidents occurred seemed like they could be taken care of/adressed easier. Have a feeling was more because autos were more mechanical.

Appears our computerized autos now create huge obstacles in finding the SUA/UA real cause. Poor service techs get baffled all the time, and find it easy to just replace something than find. Factor of time to find must be considered. .

Smile - what are we going to do when our car drives us around?? Research is underway now. Stanford is doing reseach for automatic steering. It's coming.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    get your facts straight, its not owned by Renualt it has a equity alliance with Nissan which isn't even at 50% so it can't own the company; Renualt has a 44% equity stake in Nissan while Nissan only has a 15% equity stake! sounds like a better deal for Nissan then it does Renualt considering Nissan only sells maybe a million more cars a year then Renualt does!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault#The_Renault_Nissan_Alliance_.281999.E2.80.9- 3_.29
  • PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    You know this pedal was engineered by two engineers from Indiana? This problem should be addressed by them to counter their design,if it is or is not flawed.
    edited March 2010
    sharon,
    there are no standards for how automotive software operates.
    there are external rules; OBD II for emissions, etc...
    each manufacturer has their own idea of how it 'should' work and how much effort they want to invest in it.
    sometimes i think i am getting too old to keep my mustang, but I think you just gave me justification in the Smile part of your post. :)
    my understanding is Toyota provided the design and specifications.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    This is exactly the procedure to NOT follow when using mats of any kind. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remove whatever mats you are using and replace them and anchor them to the hooks. Piling mat upon mat upon mat is only asking for trouble. How much difficulty is there to remove the carpeted mats and replace them with the all weather and anchor them in the hooks?
    stacking mats is a problem only in a Lex/Toy.
    provide another example, if you can.
    as a counterpoint, you can put a soda can under the throttle pedal any of my vehicles and it will not trap it into a full throttle position.
    Actually the runaway Prius incident still stands as CHP and news reported. Sikes alleged dicey background may not be/have any connecting links to the known facts of the case. Won't be overlooked. CHP had turned car over to both these agencies, and CHP doesn't do the indepth investigation, especially on this vehicle. Sikes never had control over/access to auto once incident occurred. Was impounded at CHP. NHTSA and Toyota are investigating. Representative Issa who is on congressional committee that is investigating Toyota lives down there and is witnessing as well. Decisions will be made. Hopefully results will become public knowledge and a fair decision made based upon only the facts of the incident.

As for the purported picture of Sikes race car. That was just a joke.

Here is article to catchyou up. Most of the bloggers here had not seen all the reports/interviews CHP/Sikes.One of our bloggers here lives down there and helped us understand the road terrain. Had another news report from down south that said same - just couldn't find
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22826761/detail.html

The following one is from Fox News. This one seems to just be addressing Sikes alleged questionable background, not any of the facts of the incident.
    http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-jamessikesinvestigated0311,0,46776- 51.story

Glad to see you practicing. Me too!!!
    Thank you for your reply,I retired 17 years now GM 32 and RCN before that. I worked at Manheim after i retired and the used crap dealers would push through told me how not to trust in used. This is like marriage too if it works for you good but my first one lasted shy of 10 years .This one 35 so who knows? The crap dealers pull reflects on the company that owns that brand. This is at the auction then figure the rentals that have been returned and pushed into dealers that will buy your trade for auction price or less.
    My 2006 RAV4 special pedal area is raised - aprox1 1/2- 2" above base of floor. I did take a can of soda out - to bottom of pedal with can sitting on floor is appox 3/4 of the can. Can sitting in the pedal area - pedal in normal position is at approx slightly less than 1/2 of soda can.

Your cars pedals do sit higher. Interesting. What autos/models do you have?
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "Actually the runaway Prius incident still stands as CHP and news reported."

I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested in buying something else.

John
    CR dropped Toyota like hot iron when it started to fail?I thought correct me if I am wrong but prior to that no car on this planet could touch it .Then you are correct CR would like to get as far away from all of this because their crash test dummies could not push the pedal or simulate what has happened. Then until a dummy is smart enough to predict what company is the best it is about time we all stopped bashing Toyota as a GM pro or pro GM I think this is sad until the answer is in the NHTSA says all Toyota's on it's site for recall are unsafe until it has been in for recall.
    my name is on 5 fords.
    09 escape, 07 fusion, 04 escape, 02 explorer, 91 mustang.
    i think the the mats/pedal issue is separate from UA situation.
    the former reflects an obvious design flaw with the Lex/Toy Camry based vehicles.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,152
    >Back in the sixties when I was a tech in an electric motors lab,

Since 1960 fifty years have passed. Things have changed. Nader was at CR for a time to vent his hatred of GM and others through their pages.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I loved my old mustang convertible I had when I graduated from college. Many special good memories.

So you enjoyed my last comment. That is scarey! Think you may need to keep your Mustang. Forget - you are too old.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    reliability and problems with their pick-up trucks and SUVs, namely the Armada and Titan!

The only PU built cheaper and junkier than the Toyota Tundra is the Nissan Titan. Plastic mounts for radiator. The list is endless of why the Titan is a nightmare for Nissan. Same goes for the Tundra. They should have both stuck with building just cars and CUVs.
    its sad because it's Nissan's pick-ups and SUVs that is keeping its overall reliability as a brand down lower then the other Japanese and Korean automakers! their Quest minivan was hell and they finally got rid of it; they are either going to have to get rid of all their pick-up and SUVs, which I'm sure they won't OR scrap the Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, and Xterra and completely redesign them from the ground up!

I have a 10 Max SV and its a great car! their sedans, crossovers, and sport coupes are absolutely wonderful and a good majority have really good reliability! its just those darn pick-ups and SUVs!
    I am a real safety nut. Mats are fine. Rubber mat is attached even though its on top & it doesn't move - period..Those rubber pegs on bottom sure help. After the mention of mats problems and never stacking. Once again did my own thorough investigation for my particular model vehicle. Some models may not be able to handle - mine actually can easily with 4-5 inch clearance from pedal. And this means they sit that far away from pedal, not the underneath measurement - from mat to pedal clearance . All weather actually sits in back the edge of carpet mat if this helps any. If they sat right underneath pedal - carpet mat would have been gone.

I had also blogged here how I had gone out to try to get pedal to stick on my mats. 2006 configuration - chance was 0. Unless you bunched up mat. Just not possible. .

Many thanks for your concern for me. Nice to see a good safety person on board!
    my dilemma is i have two kids, which one gets it?
    Toyota does not have anything comparable, but if they did, both my kids would say to each other, 'you can have it'.
    Toyota made the decision to be inoffensive to everybody, but the issues they are having due to maximizing profits, have undermined the high quality plus inoffensive corporate philosophy they built their success on.
    Toyota has total control over the final design. Pedals are fine and actually is good sturdy pedal. There were several videos out there providing demonstration taking it apart.etc. Pedal could actually be put in freezing water, baked for 20 munutes with no effect , operated perfectly. Go to You Tube.

Since complaints were only 5-10 felt CTS just was the easy target. Pedal doesn't/didn't cause any of the SUA/UA. events. If my model were being recalled, think I would have just ordered the new designed pedal myself, and let Toyota install that pedal at no charge to me. Just what I personally would do.
    I have and it would be reason enough not to buy one and it probably was reason enough for many others not to buy one.

We'll, some people obviously drove them and decided it was not a bad design, and bought them. If you buy something, don't complain about its design!!!! You know the design before you buy it!!!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    that applies to 1995 NEON's too, right? LOL
    you are digging yourself a hole.
    not trying to shovel dirt on top of you while you are still breathing. ;)
    Just relaying the legal facts of where the case stands. As of today - still a runaway Prius - SUA/UA incident. Provided two of latest newspaper reports - one Fox News and one UP News. No other changes made since intial reports news/CHP. CHP, NHTSA and Toyota all know of Sikes alleged dicey past. Investigation is ongoing. Guess we all just wait now for results.

No thanks to a bridge in Brooklyn - Smile - I prefer the Golden Gate Bridge!! Do you live in Brooklyn???
    edited March 2010
    I personally have never had a Chrysler or Dodge product but one of my Aunts had a 1998 Neon and she said it was the worst car she ever had in her life; it was constantly falling apart and broke down and needed repairs every couple of months! she now lives and swears by Subaru but I remember many of time having to go and pick her up from the dealer, since she only lives 20 minutes from me, and take her home because she had no alternative! she's been in two Subaru's since that Dodge and swears by them! they must be good since I've never had to help pick her up from a Subaru dealer in the last 10 years! ;)
    edited March 2010
    Yes, but Chrysler lied about the Neon in their marketing campaign, and tricked me into believing those lies:

1) they claimed they had a new Headquarters for the company and were the "NEW" Chrysler and the "NEW" Dodge now (back in 1994).
    2) they claimed they were not the Chrysler/Dodge of old (the incompetent unreliable crap car builder of yesteryear (I suppose this meant the 80's and early 90's).
    3) It was an all "new" design, with all "new" engineering.
    4) The only thing old was the 3 speed auto from the early 70's, I wanted the 5-speed, my father (who contributed some mula) demanded I get the auto (he felt auto would be safer for a teenager I guess).
    5) even though everything was from the "new" Dodge, it was the same old Chrysler crap.
    6) They said they were not the Chrysler that went bankrupt and needed a gov't bailout, they said they were better (deja vu, sound familiar today? ;) )

#6 sounds awfully familiar to what I hear today about GM and Chrysler.
    It's the boy who cried wolf!

I was unaware the design and engineering of the vehicle was so that the car would basically self destruct after it was 3 years old or had 36,000 miles. I didn't see "planned obsolecense" in the design; to my defense in choosing it. Also, I was a teenager who didn't realize how important reliability was in choosing an automobile.
    Must be these models ith the problems, because sure is not a problem in my RAV4.

So how do you like your Explorer?? I had two before the RAV4. Mine were both very reliable and kept each until 100,000 miles. When my husband was alive we needed to tow our boat. My husband died, boat too big for me alone, so next auto went for gas mileage and cargo room large enough for two large dog kennels.
    Sounds like your kids already like what you have. I assume you are talking about giving your Mustang to one of them, or replacing with a new car. I am sorry - I didn't quite understand. Good luck - if they are close in age, you do have big dilemma.
    No, was just a slight problem found with those minimal complaints lodged only. Note - arrangements for design change had been in works for quite awhile though. CTS had it posted on their website immediately. Then was pulled down over next 1-2 days and replaced with less detrimental claims towards Toyota. Not for sure where this directive order came from - CTS, Toyota, or attorney??

This shim fix appeared to be a very cheap approach - seemed more for reassuring public. NHTSA let it go through
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited March 2010
    I was a teenager who didn't realize how important reliability was in choosing an automobile.

That explains it. I bought my son a new Toyota PU truck in 1995. He managed to destroy the engine at 60k and again at 107K miles. Clutch at 11k miles not covered by the thieves at Toyota. You destroyed a Neon, my son destroyed a Toyota. Kids are a pain in the Behind. He put the miles on delivering Pizzas and trips to the Sierras snowboarding.

I won't bore you with the problems my 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser had.

PS
    The Toyota was a holdover from 1994 and I got it for $9k. Still over priced.
    edited March 2010
    The Toyota was a holdover from 1994 and I got it for $9k. Still over priced.

I bet you or your son got a fair value at trade-in time!!! I got peanuts for the Neon when it was time to get a new vehicle, which was WAY BEFORE 107K miles.

I could of bought a Rolls Royce cheaper than keeping a Neon that long.
    You destroyed a Neon,

No, the Chrysler engineers, builders, and designers destroyed the Neon by having it's self-destruct sequence pre-planned for the day after year 3 or the mile after 36,000. In that regard, the engineering was excellent because I remember needing a new Air conditioner literally the day after I hit 36 months.

I took great care of my first car. I kept it constantly clean, and got oil changes every 3,000 miles. In contrast my friend raped his Toyota Corolla ( I mean GEO Prism) all over town for 100,000 miles and it never cost him a dime in unscheduled repairs.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    SIKES or YIKES interesting artical out from AP

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100313/US.Runaway.Prius/

"Every time the technician placed the gas pedal to the floor and the brake pedal to the floor the engine shut off and the car immediately started to slow down," the memo said.

The brakes on the Prius also did not show wear consistent with having been applied at full force at high speeds for a long period, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday, citing three people familiar with the probe, whom it did not name. The newspaper said the brakes may have been applied intermittently.
    >but Chrysler lied about the Neon in their marketing campaign, and tricked me into believing those lies:

ROFLMAO

• roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Sharon I'm shocked. You of all people here who knows as much as anyone about the issues. Why would you need 2 mats? Are trying to save the carpeted mat for trade in value or what? Why not just take it out? Is the all weather mat held in place by the hooks or are you relying on friction to hold it in place?
    You said ..." Unless you bunched up mat. Just not possible".... Why take the chance?
    >"Every time the technician placed the gas pedal to the floor and the brake pedal to the floor the engine shut off and the car immediately started to slow down,"

Toyota's expert keeps saying over and over that this can't happen because there's a brake override. Duh. That's the point. Your computer system goes haywire and the brake override, which works through the computer, doesn't work!!!

Of course, it's not happening each time the car is driven.

The article points out further damning incidents, one on a Lexus with the floor mats "repaired."

Toyota is working hard to keep the name "Lexus" out of the news as much as possible.

>And in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the driver of a 2007 Lexus said it careened through a parking lot and crashed into a light pole Thursday after its accelerator suddenly dropped to the floor. That car was the subject of a floor mat recall. Driver Myrna Cook of Paulding, Ohio, said it had been repaired.

>NHTSA is sending experts to a New York City suburb where the driver of a 2005 Prius said she crashed into a stone wall Monday after the car accelerated on its own.