Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Simple question, will you buy a Toyota in the future?

hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
Will you buy (or consider) a Toyota in the future?

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    than Toyota. Naming my top 2 other choices, that would be Mitsubishi and Kia. For more creative and exciting designs. More intriguing and more enthusiastic. More the way I remember the great GM, Ford and Mopar products from the 60's decade. But I'm not a Toyota hater. I wish them well cleaning this mess up. Those of us car nuts out here will be so tired of hearing about this mess within another couple of weeks that we'll be wishing it never happened.

Well, I don't wanna speak for the Edmunds masses here, though. Do chime in, friends. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    LOL, couldn't his question have been posed in one of the many other Toyota discussions here? :P

My answer anyways is well, not sure. Not until I check out the new Subaru/Toyo AE-86 coupe. :shades:
  • hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
    I posed the question in the Camry and Corolla forums, and was told to come here and ask the question. Then I come here and am told why do I ask it here? Jeez!
    Relax man, I thought it was funny.

Happy TGIF ;)
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Absolutely.A resounding emphatic YES. Toyota is not going anywhere.Was getting complacent ,needed a kick up the backside and a wake up call. Soon they will be back to being the best in the business !! :P
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'm in wait and see mode.

The only Toyotas I've ever bought were used cars that happen to fit in what I was looking for - a cheap sedan for my daughter (99 Camry) and a convertible big enough for me to lug a guitar and small back seat passengers here and there (99 Celica). I bought both very used so they've both had their share of work done but nothing unusual on the Celica. The Camry had engine problems. Fixed and working fine ow but if I knew that in teh first place i'd never have gotten it.

Toyota peaked on bang for the buck at least 15 years ago so they'll have their work cut out for them. I imagine i'll buy another some day but right now folks like Subaru and Mazda interest me more.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    The car choices are lacking style and something when it comes to the driving experience. IE they are too bland and boring.

For our SUV choice which we own a Toyota SUV the milege sucks! And Toyota has 100% said NO to the idea of a refined diesel for their large SUV's. They are trying to apply their Hybrid tech to every model they make. Which is of no value to me given my SUV does long road trips where a diesel choice would be preferred and provide a much better service over the long run.

So no my next vehicles will not be built by Toyota.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    My vivid memories of Pearl Harbor and the following war in the Pacific prevent me from adding to the treasuries of the present Japanese manufactures who built the material aimed at defeating us. :mad:
    Other than spending another 20 grand on a Toureg or an M-class what other options are out there that will meet your needs? :confuse:
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    When my 05 Prius reaches 275,000 to 300,000 miles in about 4 more years I'll get a Gen 3 Prius to take me another 300,000 miles.

My wife OTOH has had 5 Toyota's in 10 yrs :surprise:. She wants to trade the 04 Highlander in on a Tacoma D-Cab 4WD to haul her Harley. But I'm sure that she'll want to change those shoes soon after that so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up in the new hybrid sports car that will be hitting the streets in 3-5 yrs.
    Right now replacing my 7 passenger Landcruiser - the only product on the road that offers similar or more space is the MB GL CDI which posts better milege than my Subaru Legacy. I'm not happy about the choice but I'm more than willing to support an automaker who is offering the right power plant in their product.

Toyota builds fantastic diesels - even very clean one's but they have the American Public so Hybrid centric and have spent soo much money on their Hybrid PR they think they can sell us their Hybrid tech even in vehicles where it is not the right application.

How did that hybrid suburban work out for GM? Last I checked it was one of their biggest loosers.
    No offense intended but those people who did that are probably long gone by now. Are we to persecute a whole Country based on events that happened 70 years ago?

I have a beef with terrorists who originate in the middle East who attacked NYC. But I'm not going to call for their annhililation based on a group of radicals.
    Oh man, I can see why you would be disappointed in the mileage, what does it get, somewhere in the neighborhood of 14mpg? Ouch.

Ya, that would definitly be an ideal application for a diesel. And I know Toyota builds fine diesels based on a vacation with an Avensis diesel in Ireland. I'd buy that car in a heartbeat if it came here.

But, in the grand scheme of things your LC gets typical mileage for its class. Look at GM's schoolbuses (all 9 different models), my buddys Burban used to get 8mpg! 12 on a good day. The hybrid versions were dead from the start. I called it before they even made the lots, nobody who is concerned with "Going Green" or conserving energy is looking for a 3 ton SUV! That idea was so far out of touch it was laughable. Hybrid or not, it was still a BOF SUV coming from a company that thrived on selling gas pigs. I used to count 43 different models that offere a V8 in the Government Motors lineup, next something like 7 models that didn't. :sick:

Anyways, it sounds like price isn't a concern since you already own a vehicle in that price range, I thought you might have a Highlander class of vehicle.
    I forgot to add, that I think Toyota is waiting for a stronger business case before (at least in your class of vehicle) offering a diesel option. Sales of the Cruiser, LX and Sequoia are not huge by anymeans so a diesel option has even more limited appeal. That and the added cost for qualifying that new engine for the states would probably jack the price into the heavens. And lastly, the price of diesel isn't far off from a gallon of petrol.

One can always hope there is the option in the future tho! :D Where is Gary (gagrice), he'll back us up!
    Actually it gets 10-11mpg around town and 12mpg with a tail wind on the highway. And I generally err on the higher range with my vehicles.

We had a very heavy 9 passenger Diesel LC in Tanzania for two weeks we averaged 25mpg. It was also old tech and would be considered a dirty diesel

Neighbor has an 08 GL 320 CDI - he did a family road trip during Christmas break around 900 miles round trip. His logged milege at the gas pump was 27mpg! He gets 22-24mpg with mixed every day around town to work driving. That was hauling three kids - a dog and enough crap to keep three kids entertained both in and out of the car.

Back in September we took the 2001 legacy GT with a roof box on a 2500 mile family road tour three states and three weeks. Our worst highway milege was 25mpg in CA - Best was 27.5mpg in Oregon. We got 26mpg in Washington st

Washington st and Ca highway speeds were nearly identical 70-80mph. Oregon was 65-70mph. Thats with a 2.5L 5spd manual AWD sedan.

The landcruiser just spent last weekend hauling around 4 adults and two kids we averaged 11mpg.
    Price doesn't seem to matter given your nice AWD minivans are running 40K and up. Shoot even the Government Motors 7 passenger SUV with like 7 different branded names on it is pushing 40+K.

Father inlaw is a diehard Suburban guy. His last one which he still owns 280,000 miles his new one 60,000 miles on it and he swears up and down its the biggest piece of crap he has ever owned. He gets 16mpg with the new one. The old one he got 18mpg. The 80's diesel Suburban which he owned till it turned into a pile of rust posted 21mpg. He drives like Aunt daisy so his milege numbers are a bit skewed.
    Back on topic regarding Toyota SUV milege.

We do road trip / Regattas every summer our boat is onedesign meaning its identical to the others in our fleet. Good friend tows with a sequoia the past two years same trip same boats - same road. He gets 12mpg towing I get 11mpg towing with the landcruiser. Another competitor has a taco with essentially the same V8 he gets the same milege.

Another competitor has a GM 4dr small pick up with a 5cylinder he gets 16mpg towing. Keep in mind these are racing sailboats that weigh around 2000lbs with the trailer and gear total very light.

Then we have one guy this past year showed up with a diesel X5 which will run circles around all our vehicles he was getting 25mpg and towing well beyond legal speeds when he passed two of us.

When it comes to big heavy vehicles built to haul crap or people nothing beats the diesel period.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Three sentences just up the page sum up quite neatly why I won't be buying any more Toyotas....

Toyota peaked on bang for the buck at least 15 years ago so they'll have their work cut out for them.

The car choices are lacking style and something when it comes to the driving experience. IE they are too bland and boring.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    Toyota and Mazda make the most affordable large family vehicle that you can buy with a manual transmission, and since i don't want the mini vanish Mazda 5 my next vehicle will be a Double Cab Toyota Tacoma 4x4
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    This latest mess would not stop me.
    If I like the vehicle and the deal then of I would buy a Toyota.

I also don't buy this made in the USA or Japan stuff. The motoring industry is such a global enterprise you can not be sure who owns what or where the dollar is ending up.

My experience with cars that are expensive or cheap it is sometimes down to luck and whether the person on the production line is having a good day or not.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    The hybrid versions were dead from the start. I called it before they even made the lots, nobody who is concerned with "Going Green" or conserving energy is looking for a 3 ton SUV! That idea was so far out of touch it was laughable. Hybrid or not, it was still a BOF SUV coming from a company that thrived on selling gas pigs. I used to count 43 different models that offere a V8 in the Government Motors lineup, next something like 7 models that didn't.

That is a great stretch of sentences that sums up GM's previous situation completely. :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    would you feel comfortable buying a vehicle built before the various problems are fixed?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    I presently own a Toyota RAV4 and is my first experience with Toyota. I have had some issues with dealership service center which I found disturbing. Incidents were valid complaints, and definitely were Toyota fault issues, and I was not in any way a chronic complainer customer. Manager admitted they had not painted the door of my new fully paid in cash car, as I was told they were going to do. All they had done was attempt to buff out the scratches and then attempted to say it had been painted. So car door was painted. Next time I requested electrical to be checked, plus serviced. I received a call work was done. I enjoyed the customer shuttle service I was provided with. I commend them for this friendly service. Service center attempted to just make me go pay for service without me actually speaking with anyone. Whoops- not good! I requested to speak with someone about the service work and before paying. A now different service center person attempted to go over the work. I asked about the electrical check. He specifically said I did not request as not on work order. Another "whoops- not a customer friendly statement!" I asked to speak with the person who I initially spoke with, as I did request. Again he said "no I didn't, it's not on work order.:" Asked him to please page or call the person who took my order. He informed me he was on lunch break. I said well I did order electrical to be checked, and what could he do. He said I was being difficult. I said I am trying not to be. Please page or call for original person. Stated he could not do this. Asked to please speak with the manager. He stated he was the manager. I am not certain this is the real fact. Said please page or call for person who took my order. I did request elctrical work to be checked. This person was quite angry with me. But finally he did as I asked, since I was standing firm with my request. Original person finally called back, and yes, he said I had asked for check. Stated electrical just had to be reprogrammed. All had been taken care of. The person who had stated he was manager did not apologize. I just reviewed service work order, thanked him, and went to pay. Sadly for Toyota , I too am familiar with customer friendly service. I am a college educated medical professional with long work history of management experience.

My prior history of dealing with other auto manufacturers' service centers were always excellent - BMW, Ford. I find myself in position of being leary of service repair at this particular Toyota dealership.

Now the recall - I am alarmed at the questionable integrity of Toyota for a long known problem, and their attempts to avoid and/or delayed response/s. Toyota still does not have a fix, and if you research DHSTA, multiple safety sites, etc. Toyota was aware last fall they would have to correct. Now few months later, they do recall, and they still don't have fix, and no letters have been sent to owners. Toyota has not made any public media announcement/s to help combat/inform or reassure owners/public regarding the negative publicity. Such actions do indeed lead to owner/consumer questions and dissatisfaction.

I am scared my 2006 Rav4 has issues despite being built in Japan. I have had started having minor issues over last six months intermittantly - few incidents of unexplained minor engine accelerations when attempting brake when parking vehicle(always was able to immediately brake and engine finally responded) and one time when in line at McDonald's moving at approximatley 4 mph when engine suddenly increased acceleration for unexplained reason (again managed to immediately brake to prevent hitting vehicle in front of me in line - thank goodness brakes did work, but engine still continued higher rev's for few seconds and then finally returned to idle mode). I was evaluating these issues myself for any more problems or any need to pursue service investigation. No floor mat is not the issue. No interference present. I had checked after each incident.

I fully am aware if issue is not present when chcked or vehicle can not be caused to be in that mode again problem does not exist. But problem still does exist, as I have found out in past. Presenting vehicle in that state is the problem.

I do now fully know how to stop my vehicle if I have a increase acceleration problem. I also realize now my vehicle does not have any brake over ride sytem. I had been ignorant and had felt this was always a standard feature in US. Apparently not so - and is just not Toyota. Have found several European manufacturers do though.

Will I buy another Toyota??? Since I have also dealt with other manufacturers and had great experience - I am quite leary to purchase another Toyota. I am shocked Toyota mangement has asked owners to continue driving their recalled cars. Appears DHSTA and Toyota management seem to have just endorsed any future accidents which may lead to great bodily harm and/or death. Fact is owners can not get problem fixed.
    Separately, Ford said it would be suspending production of a van made and sold in China that has an accelerator pedal made by the same firm at the centre of Toyota's investigations.

However, Ford said it had only been using the pedal in the Transit Classic model since December, with only 1,663 vehicles produced
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Subaru/Toyo AE-86 coupe

I might consider that but with a Subaru store in the company I would probably buy the Subbie version.
    Should the question be what is safe to buy?

French vehicles;
    The safety scare may also affect the Peugeot 107 and the Citroën C1, which are built at the same Czech plant and use the same parts as the Toyota Aygo, one of eight models Toyota admitted could be defective.

A spokesman for PSA Peugeot Citroën admitted: 'The 107 and C1 may be similarly affected. We are trying to find out but at this stage cannot confirm whether they are affected.'
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Although I can not minimize the urgency of the recall, the media is once again senzationalizing it. Given Toyota's reputation for quality and dependability, the automaker will come back in force.

In the 1950's which I believe is when Toyota began to sell vehicles, the cars were of poor quality which Toyota bought back and later returned to the world market with high quality, durable cars.

I would not hesitate to purchase another Toyota.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Yeah, I agree that the gas peddle issue isn't what would stop me from buying a Toyota, since I can't imagine that the company won't fix it. Their very survival depends on it. Toyotas built after production resumes won't have the sticky peddle problem, and the ones that are on dealer lots and already sold will also be fixed.
    This may be an opportunity to get a deal on a Toyota or Lexus.

As for me, I can't say I dislike Toyotas and Lexuses, but I just can't warm up to their current offerings.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Same here. My 2004 and 2005 Camrys have been paragons of reliability, and I'd really have to think long and hard about going elsewhere when replacement time comes, which is likely to be years away at this point. Plus my former '97 Camry was a great car also.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Right now I am glad I do not have a recalled car model. My BMW, though, has plenty of problems of its own some of which are safety issues as well.

When everything is gone over with a fine-toothed comb then I will feel comfortable buying a Toyota. Volvo is now owned by the Chinese who send us lead painted toys and poisoned pet food. Comfortable about that?

It's all a bit of a cross-your-fingers and hope for the best situation. This is a big dent in Toyota's reputation but they still have an opportunity to fix things. They have built excellent cars for decades so I'm not ready to throw them out although I might look at a Honda first.

;)
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    Although the accelerator issue is a blemish in a long standing reputation for high quality, Toyota is handling it responsibly and I would be no less likely to buy a Toyota because of it. It is unfortunate, however, that Toyota's problem seems to be caused by a USA supplier who may have introduced a defect not found in the same parts from Japanese or European manufacturers.
    There were a few cars parked out front and people browsing the lot. It's also 10 degrees outside. There was a Venza parked out front running and a couple showed up to take it for a spin. The was a Camry, a new Highlander and a Tundra parked out front, all brand new, tagged for sale. People are still buying Toyotas folks, sorry to those who think Toyota is out of business now.

Coincidentally drove past the Chevy dealer next town over and it's a graveyard there. The Ford dealer across the street? I saw one person looking at the Edge. Another GMC/P/B dealer outside Boston? ghost town. Cadillac/Hummer dealer? Nope, nobody.

If you are buying a GM vehicle, today is your day. Toyotas recall woes seem to have helped :P
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    It is difficult, if not unfair to write off Toyotas on the basis of this problem. Not to deny the lives that unfortunately were lost but it would be wise to wait and see what Toyota does (or doesn't) do in resolving the problem and rebuilding its reputation. Other manufacturers have had serious issues too.

Some twenty years ago Chrysler vans develped a problem with a rear latch, which the company, upon investigation by NHTSA it was found that replacing the latch would cost less that a dollar. The latch would somehow give way during movement and rear passengers fell out of the back. There were fatalities from this but Chrysler settled paying millions and survived.

My beef with Toyota is their dealers' practices. I am not saying that every dealer is crooked but after years speaking to toyota customers and reading reviews, I am yet to hear from or find an honest one. And yes, I am a toyota owner.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Toyota debuted here with the Toyopet Crown in 1959. The cars couldn't handle American highway speeds as valves snapped-off and transmissions siezed. They left and came back in 1961. Their first big hit was the 1965 Corolla.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Actually, Toyota never left in the early 60s, as the Land Cruiser continued to be sold here. Also, the first hit in 1965 was the Corona. The Corolla debuted in model year 1969 in the US.
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    I went websites such as Car Complaints and Edmunds Reviews to see what issues have plagued the mainstream bread and butter Camry for the last few years.

I'll pass.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    according to the supplier, the pedal is a Toyota design. It's just different from the JD built piece.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Yes, next purchase will be a minivan and Toyota has the best offering.
  • mikehuttonmikehutton Member Posts: 3
    In Asian countries the reliability of the Brand Toyota is overwhelming, the car and other models are greatly appreciated for low maintenance cost and adequate supply of toyota parts and accessories.
  • boydfooseboydfoose Member Posts: 2
    I still Believe in the brand It's only in North America that some class of Toyota vehicles came on with some safety problems. It's not the Japanese to blame but to the quality of work in United states
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Owned a 2005 Toyota, not a basic trim. I thought the overall build quality was suspect. I was not pleased with the vehicle. I traded it a couple of years later for a Honda. The differences were remarkable. The Honda build quality is far superior. I also own a 2008 Scion. The build quality is also suspect. I have test driven several Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, and Hyundai vehicles in the last year or so. In my opinion, all surpass Toyota in build quality. I would never buy another Toyota product and I tend to steer everyone who asks to look elsewhere.
  • fastruckfastruck Member Posts: 5
    Buying cars from other countrys cause everybody taxes here to increase
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...no plans to buy one in the future and that includes Lexus and Scion.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I remain convinced that you, lemko, would really enjoy a Lexus LS sedan to drive. You should test drive one just to see! ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    If they have the car that meets my budget and needs, then yes.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    ...might be considered former Toyota loyalists. They've owned a '73 Corona, a '83 Celica H/B and a '91 Camry.

When they were shopping for their latest new car back in 2003, they were about ready to pull the trigger on another Camry. That is, until my dad spotted the Hyundai Sonata. They purchased a V6 GLS model for less money than a 4-cyl Camry LE.

7 years later, the Sonata has less than 30K on the clock and looks and runs like it's brand new.

Given that my folks are in their 70's, I'd say it's unlikely that they'll be buying a Toyota (or any other brand, for that matter).
  • mcarthurdwmcarthurdw Member Posts: 1
    After my last purchase, a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE, I would have to say no. Not so much for the quality of the vehicle, but more so because of the rubbish tires the Corolla comes with. With a $19K sticker price one would think that the car would come with tires that last longer than 6K miles, but the garbage Good Year Integrity tires wear out in a few thousand miles.

If Toyota goes cheap on the tires, what else did they go cheap on?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    If Toyota goes cheap on the tires, what else did they go cheap on?

Corolla - take a look at all the posts about the rotten Toyo tires on the $40K+ Highlander Limited. I've been looking at crossovers and while Toyota comes with these cheapie tires, the Explorer, Acadia and Enclave all come with a decent Michelin ride. Sometimes I think all the old D3 brass have moved over to Toyota because they seem to be practicing what wrecked Detroit. All they've really accomplished is making themselves have to better compete on sales price - no more quality premium like the old days. Tokyo can have morons in charge too!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

A way to shake up the middle managers?

"Toyota's move to Texas comes in the wake of its crisis with sudden-acceleration incidents. Some accidents were linked to floor mats jamming the gas pedal, causing the car to accelerate out of control. Those problems started Toyota on the path to reorganization.

Toyota was slow to disclose and address the problems, but it eventually recalled millions of vehicles to fix the floor mat issue, along with another mechanical defect that caused sticking gas pedals.

A special panel convened by the automaker concluded that Toyota's management responded slowly and ineffectually to the growing sudden-acceleration crisis because it was hampered by a top-down management style that gave short shrift to customer complaints.

The automaker has worked to reorganize its management structure to address those problems and give more autonomy to its regional operations."

Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas (LA Times)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096

I wonder what kind of bribe was passed. Going to be some culture shock...