Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    only when the Jeep is upside down!!

dewars
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    mac - thanks for the info - we did use the Wrangler yesterday for our commute (my other half and I carpool - we work for the same organization. It was so nice sit in comfortable seats for our long commute. I didn't even get impatient when we added a good 20 mile detour to stop at Costco on the way home. How I wish we could afford to use it for our daily driver!

dewars - I envy you! I've heard about and seen photos of the Jeep event at Moab, and I sure wish I could go! One of these days I'll make it. By the way, I know they have trails for different levels - are some of them easy enough for stock vehicles?
    yes, there are many different types of trails. Also many of the trails have by-passes around the tougher obstacles.
      Besides running the trails, it is a blast just to see all of the different vehicles in town that week. Thousands of them!
      They also have a product expo on thursday and friday where all the manufactures that build "stuff" for off roading show off their wares. It would be worth going just to see the expo.
      You can visit rr4w.com to get on their mailing list and learn more. The paper they mail out once a year has tons of info. Including trail ratings and descriptions. It also has the registration for the organized trail runs.
      If you decide to go next year, book your motel or camp site no later than January. It fills up quickly.

Maybe I'll see you there!

dewars
    yes, there are many different types of trails. Also many of the trails have by-passes around the tougher obstacles.
      Besides running the trails, it is a blast just to see all of the different vehicles in town that week. Thousands of them!
      They also have a product expo on thursday and friday where all the manufactures that build "stuff" for off roading show off their wares. It would be worth going just to see the expo.
      You can visit rr4w.com to get on their mailing list and learn more. The paper they mail out once a year has tons of info. Including trail ratings and descriptions. It also has the registration for the organized trail runs.
      If you decide to go next year, book your motel or camp site no later than January. It fills up quickly.

Maybe I'll see you there!

dewars
    Sorry about the double post.

dewars
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You can always delete or edit your posts. Just look for the appropriate blue buttons that appear only on your own posts.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    our illustrious hosts delete posts for you. (Even ones that you didn't WANT deleted.)

:)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    No comments regarding my "host post?" :)

Hey, you guys do a good job, Steve and Tidester. You have to enforce the rules, which sometimes means dumping someone's post.

Just had to dig at ya a little, but I do appreciate you guys.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, funny guy :-). I just took it as an April's Fool gag anyhoo.

Just for that I'm not going to link to the Wrangler rumors that came in my Edmunds newsletter today :-)

(Plus I'm not on the computer that my newsletter got emailed to <g>).

Steve, Host
    Ok, back on the "home" pc:

"Jeep Studies New Models

Chrysler's Jeep brand is studying a variety of new models to beef up its showroom presence, says brand vice president Jeff Bell. "It's all about filling in the white spaces," he said at the introduction of the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, a long-wheelbase version of the Wrangler coming to showrooms in the next few weeks. The $24,995 Unlimited will fill the space left behind the former two-door Jeep Cherokee, which was last sold a few years ago. In the future, the brand might again consider a four-door version of the Wrangler, or even a pickup truck -- a concept truck, in fact, could show up at January's Detroit auto show. A new Wrangler is due in a few years; the new Jeep Grand Cherokee shows up at the New York Auto Show in April and in dealers this fall."

Here's the link if you want to subscribe.

Steve, Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I ordered my Sport 2 years ago to the day. Still enjoying it.

Still a happy camper.
    Are you serious - has it been 2 years already?!!? I can't believe it!

I saw the bit about Jeep's intentions, especially the bit about the Unlimited arriving in a couple of weeks. I should be seeing the pink slip for the Taco in a couple of weeks, right around the time the Unlimited comes out. I want to look at it right away, though if I am smart, I won't buy anything for a couple of months.
    Boy, how come we never hear from ya here or in Gill's????

Glad you finally posted. How are things going?

Tom

• kjoskerkjosker Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my Wrangler Sport with the optional Canyon Tire group, consisting in part of 30 x 9.5 R15 tires mounted on 15x8 wheels. I'm looking at a custom set of wheels, 15 x 8.5 with 3.75" backspacing; and I guess the wheels that comes with the Jeep have a 3.5" backspacing. Can I use the custom wheels? I'll stay with the 30 x 9.5 R15 size tires.
    Yes, you can fit custom wheels, there are many different choices.

Factory Canyons have 5.5" backspacing.

Tsjay will probably post a nice diagram that explains backspacing for you.
    Here ya go...

As you can see from the diagram, less backspacing means the tires stick out more, other things being equal.

So, in going from the 5.5" backspacing of the Canyon wheels to the 3.75" backspacing of the new wheels, while keeping the same width tire, you will see the tires stick out about 1.75" more than they do now.

If we assume that the wheel in the diagram above is an 8" wheel, then it looks like the backspacing would have to be about 3" the way they drew that diagram. That would be very low backspacing.

Tom

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Tom,

Have you seen the wheel spacers you can get that make the wheels stick out an extra inch or so per side?

Any idea if that would cause problems with the turning? I'm running Canyons with 30x9.5 BFG AT KO's.

-Paul
    Those wheel spacers are pretty controversial items. Some people say you should NEVER use them, but others say that if you get the right kind, they are safe.

I would do some research, if I were you, before buying any. At least find out which type is supposed to be the safest.

I have no experience with them, but it's just my gut feeling that I wouldn't trust them.

Tom

Well, Jeep Buds, Old Thelma Jane is showing the wear and tear that wheelin' takes on a Jeep. For all the times she has been off road, she probably looks a lot better than she should.

Here's her worst damage: the right rear tub corner. This is the cumulative result of about four different occasions when I hit something with the right rear tub corner. The worst damage to the paint was the last time I hit something, and that was just weekend before last. I was in a dry creek bed and backed up into the bank, which had tree roots protruding from it. Didn't realize I was that close to it.

Hey, it has been worth it! It would be nice to be able to wheel as much as I do and not get a single scratch on the Jeep, but that ain't the way it works. You play, you pay. For all the hours I have spent out on the trails having the time of my life, I'll take some damage.

Tom

Your pic isn't showing up for me, Tom. I can get to it via your directory listing though. Might just be on my end?

Steve, Host
    Yeah, I was still fooling with it when you posted.

I was trying to be a good boy and use my limited personal web space as host for that pic rather than use "another website" as host.

I finally got the URL exactly right, and the pic is showing now.

Tom

Yup, you got it fixed.

Time to consider those corner panels yet?

:-)
    It's fixed; guess I need to be a bit more patient.

btw, there's nothing wrong with the tub section that a little buffing with one of your infamous paper towels won't fix :-)

Steve, Host
    Yes. Was gonna look up the post of yours with the link to the site where you can get them. Just in case I can't find it, and if you ain't got nothin' better to do.... :)

Tom
    I like Mac's idea better. Just cover up the damage with those tub corner guards. They make 'em in flat black, and they shouldn't look too bad on Thelma Jane. Wouldn't even consider the shiny diamond plate corner protectors. Don't like their looks at all.

Tom
    Looks like you just mentioned the corner things and did not post a link. I found where you suggested them back in early August.3

I'm sure I can find a website where I can order some.

Tom

'Toys by Troy' and 'Off your Rocker' are two names that come to mind. I think there are others. Steel or diamond plate steel (not aluminum) would be the way to go.
    Anyone with interest in future Jeep models, like the Unlimited, please check in on the Jeep Owners: Future Models discussion. Thanks.

Steve, Host
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    Tom,

Corner panels are a good thing. Poison Spyder if I recall correctly makes some nice black ones. I have seen them on a friends Sport which is also white and they looked good(even with the scratches he put on them). He had recessed the rear lights as well.

I solved my soft top dilemma..I bought a used hard top on ebay that was in perfect condition.The bonus was the 700 mile round trip Jeep ride I got out of the deal to pick it up. : )

Hope all is well,

David
    Anybody tried the new Bestop tops with the removable panel over the drivers?

You can get em with sliders too (for us poor souls who have half doors and zipper windows).

-Paul
    I know twylie has XM. I'm about to add XM to my TJ. Where is the best place to mount an XM antenna so it gets the best reception. (I have the soft top, so THAT is out.)

I am thinking about a glass mount on the windshield (top passenger side). It would be nice if XM had whip antennas I could mount on the rear bumper...

-Paul
    Just ordered some from Poison Spyder. Thanks for the info, David.

Thanks to you too, Mac, for suggesting those puppies to begin with. I didn't know that you could get them in black until you told me that back in August.

Decided just to stay with the factory tail lights for now at least.

Tom

P.S. In case anyone is thinking about getting these things, they come with all the holes pre-drilled for installation, they are made of 1/8th inch steel, and they are powder coated black. They cost $117 a pair, and the shipping in my case was $17.28.

Hope they really ain't as shiny as the one in the pic below looks. Thought powder coating made a flat black, not a shiny black???

Ordered a Lockright locker for the front end of Thelma Jane just now. Got it from Bob Supplee for $245 shipped.

Tom

• nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Is someone finding ways to spend his tax refund? :-)

Rich
    Maybe. :)

But....

Let's just say I'm spending the money I am saving by not smoking.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Once the front locker goes in does TB have anything more difficult than BP Gulch?
    Tom,

Will those guards hold up against further abuse and resist/prevent more dents or is it just a cover?

-Paul
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Paul,

I've seen a few posts on other boards about being able to mount the antenna on top of the sound bar if that's an option for you (can't remember if you have a sound bar or pods for the rear speakers). It's up high, out of the way, and still clears the middle bow without a problem. When I get around to adding it to the TJ, that's my plan.

-twylie
    Since Tom is talking about damage, I guess I'll ask about my little bent piece. I was up on a mountain a couple of weeks ago, and it was REALLY windy. I opened my door to get out and I couldn't hold the door against the wind. It whipped open and bent the metal bar that the door strap sits on. The drivers side door now opens wider than it should. It isn't any big deal and I'm not really interested in trying to bend it back, but I was interested if anyone knew how much force it must have had to bend that bar - it looks substantial.
    Hard to give an exact answer. It's not just the leverage that the door has against the bar. It's that the door opens to a nearly 90° angle to the body, which allows the mass of the door to reach a higher velocity than if it opened to a more normal angle. Yours can now open even further now, which means it's even more likely to bend the bar next time. It's also more likely to hit the car next to you in a parking lot. Also, if the strap comes off the bar the next time it gets blown out of your hand, the door will impact the fender, doing unpleasant and expensive damage to both.

I seriously recommend you straighten it. One way would be to slip a length of pipe over it and tweak it back into the correct position. Check that the fastenings haven't loosened as well.
    Oh yeah, Turkey Bay has some very steep, twisty, rutted climbs that I don't even mess with now. Some of those MIGHT be doable with a front locker.

I know where you're going with your thinkin', and I have also thought about it too. I don't want to get Thelma Jane so capable that I can't have any fun at Turkey Bay any more. But, I would say there is a LONG way to go before I got that far. :)

Tom

Twylie,

I was thinking the same thing too and I've seen similar posts. I have a soundbar from edgeauto dot com. It is actually neoprene encased with wood inside. Very nice, but I imagine I'd have to bolt it somehow.

I'm not too keen on the idea of putting it on the hood as when I'm driving north, the cab will block the view (line of sight thing).

Have you heard anything about the fabric (or fiberglass for that matter) tops cutting reception on XM? I have seen answers both ways, but nothing definitive.

My other option is the Terk glass mount antenna and have that stick above the roofline a bit for unimpeded sight. I just worry about low branches then. I've even considered some of the 'mirror mount' truck antennas. They have a 48" one that would be nice on the back..

-Paul
    Those corner guards should serve both purposes. They look like they are big enough and shaped the right way to cover my existing damage, and they should be strong enough to resist further damage.

Except where I have dents already, there will still be the original sheet metal behind these new panels, so that oughta make a pretty stiff laminate. The panels are 1/8th inch thick, so that's pretty tough stuff.

Oh, by the way, I just found out that Quadratec sells a 12 gauge steel powder coated black corner panel made by Warrior Products for $99.95 per pair. Just my luck to find these AFTER I ordered from Poison Spyder for $117. How does 12 gauge steel compare to 1/8th inch steel? Same thing? The WPs are 12 gauge, and the PS's are 1/8th inch. Is this six of one and half a dozen of the other, or is there an appreciable difference?

Tom

Tom

12 gauge is 0.104", or just over a tenth of an inch, so the ones you've ordered are thicker.

You can relax now!

:--)
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    All this talk of corners has me thinking again (a dangerous proposition!) Anyone know of any rear corner guards that don't cover the entire rear corner like the ones tsjay ordered. I understand the thought process - if you cover the lower part of the corner, might as well protect the entire tub corner... However, for my wheeling I'm much more likely to come down on a rock between my tire and bumper than I am to lay it on the corner or bump into stuff that bangs the upper part of the tub. What I'm thinking of is something similar to the way the Rubicon (or angle iron) rocker guards mount. Up only 3-4 inches on the side and also give me some protection under the tub lip... I've searched high and low with no luck so far. I'm tempted to order a set of the Poison Spyder corners and take them to a machine shop; cut them down to about 3-4" up the tub and then have them scribe and weld 3/16" plate under the tub that runs back a few inches. I'll have to take some measurements and see if this is an option.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

-twylie

These rather nasty YJ aluminum ones by Warrior are the only ones I know of.

However, as you can see, they're only a simple right angle bend. It would be really easy to make some yourself in 1/8" steel. Probably about $10 in materials plus a large rattle can.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    For the third time (dumb) I left the dome light on my 2000 TJ overnight. This runs the battery completely down. I even lose the presets on my radio. Each time, after I jump start it, it runs funny for a few minutes. This time I let it idle for a while. When I put it in gear it stalls. I have enough battery to restart it but it may stall up to three times before I can get it moving. For the first block or so, it runs erratically. Not missing or back firing, just kind of surging. It gets better pretty quickly and seems to recover completely in about a mile.

My question is does the computer need to relearn its settings, or my driving habits? Do I need to do anything special to help it out?

My "working on car" days were during the time of carburators, points and rotors. These high tech engine controls are beyond me.

Terry
    Did you install your amp under your dash?

If so, do you have any pics and/or dimensions of the amp and how you mounted it? I seem to recall that you did something like that.

I've inherited my daughter's TJ but she's claiming the stereo system for her new car. So I get to get new stuff. :) I want a 5 channel amp or at least a way to run a sub (plan on using the Tuffy Stereo/speaker security console.

If you want to contact me at my usual email that you've used previously you can or we can cover it here. I suspect I'll have a few questions if you have some time. :)

-Paul
    The only thing you really need to do is to stop leaving the dome light on!

:--)

Actually, your Jeep is behaving quite normally after having had the battery exhausted. It soon gets back to normal, but initially it's running at below 12 volts, which its computer doesn't like. The battery is soaking up all that the alternator can put out, and among other things, this is bad for both the alternator and the battery.

The fact that your low wattage dome light will flatten the battery overnight is an indication that the battery capacity is much reduced, and that its failure is probably imminent. A healthy battery will probably run the headlights for the same length of time that yours ran the dome light.

However, a car battery is really designed to provide a heavy discharge for a short period (starting) then to be kept topped up by a low amperage charge from the alternator. The high amperage available from the alternator is there to provide the current to run your headlights, stereo, A/C, foglights, HRW etc., etc., while the engine is running. The battery's not designed to be run flat and then recharged.

The best way to deal with a flat battery (if you can), is either to recharge it before trying to start, or to temporarily replace it with a fully charged one. I know that this is not always an option, but there's invariably a price to pay when getting a jump start and letting your alternator dump its full output into a dead battery. That price is usually paid with a reduction in battery life.

All the above was just as applicable in the days of points and carburetors. Regular lead-acid batteries have changed very little in the last fifty years!

Don't feel intimidated by your Jeep............ there's more that's the same than has been changed. Engine controls are the only major difference. The rest of the engine, transmission, drivetrain, brakes, etc., use the same principles they've always done.

;--)