Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe

navyscponavyscpo Member Posts: 20
I just purchased a 2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD. Got a good deal. Looked at Land Rover LR2 but decided that the Santa Fe had better realiability and warranty. Had it for a week. Drives like a dream. I am only disappointed that it didn't have an Infinity Audio system in it. Would like to hear any comments about the 2010 Santa Fe.

Comments

• rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have the 07 SE AWD and love it. No major problems and the minor ones were easily taken care of by the dealer. Enjoy yours, as I am enjoying mine.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Did you drive a 2009 Santa Fe?

I was wondering if the 2010 is noticeably better.

I have tested the 2009 but have not tried the 2010 - the prices on the 2009 are $4K less - (counting the $2,500 rebate).

Is the 2010 worth the extra $?
  • navyscponavyscpo Member Posts: 20
    Yes I drove the 2009. The 2010 has a new engine which i thought was a bit quieter and alot more smoother. Its a joy to drive. Plus they gave me $3000 off the sticker. ( I bought it on the last day of January which they probably needed a sale to make their quota or whatever) The 2009 doesn't have a backup camera. The only disappointment I have is that the 2010 doesn't have the 10 speaker Infinity Audio system like the 09's as an option. It comes with six speakers and a sub which aren't that great sounding. I plan on changing the speakers at some point.
  • drtechdrtech Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a new 2010 Santa Fe Limited, but a dealer told me that due to the computer chip, it is not possible to install DRL on the US version of this vehicle. Can anyone confirm or refute this claim?

I know with Fords, the DRLs can be switched on at the dealer by tapping into the onboard computer.

Also, any comments on the headroom in the front for a 6'3" person.

Thanks in advance
  • luvwowluvwow Member Posts: 11
    my husband and I tested both 2010 santa fe and 2010 tuscan he is six foot and he complained his hair was hitting the roof in the santa fe but not the tuscan nor in the 2010 kia sorento. I was told the 2010 santa fe has stadium seating in the car my headroom was not good while in the second row driving out of the dealer lot. I am 5'6.

good luck shopping
    fin
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I'm assuming you mean "Tucson"....???? Having lived there am always amazed how it's spelling gets butchered...... :confuse:
    edited February 2010
    Bought the 2010 Santa Fe AWD so far we like it -

But one issue bugs me -

This has happened 2 times - take the car on a short trip - turn engine off -

When the engine is restarted we hear a strange CLICK and can feel a slight bump / vibration - almost like someone kicked the back bumper.

I have no idea what this could be - but wish it would either stop doing it or do it all the time so we could figure out what it is.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?
  • bokonon1bokonon1 Member Posts: 10
    That vibration is the self-test for the ABS system. Happens each time you start your car and begin moving. All Santa Fe's do it - it is supposed to be that way. Don't worry about. :-)
  • highridgehighridge Member Posts: 2
    I'm in VT where Subaru Outbacks reign supreme but we've been giving the Santa Fe a lot of thought. We'll save a lot of $$$ plus it has a softer road feel on the interstate than the Outback. Our problem is the last half mile to our our is an old logging trail on the side of a mountain. Sometimes it takes a while for our plow guy to catch up to us. I know the Santa Fe has the all wheel drive button that will lock me into AWD under 21 MPH (is that right?)... the question is... will it consistently get me up a snowy steep hill? My Highlander doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. If we end up sliding off the road... it's a long way down a steep embankment to the river below unless of course we're "fortunate enough" to hit a tree on the way down! So... I can't afford to make a mistake here. Anybody out there with experience in very snowy areas?
    I have had the vehicle 2 weeks - put on about 700 miles - had the vibration (if I can even call it a vibration) only 2 times - both times when I first start the engine - before I put it in gear.

I read something about the ABS test on another site - mine seems a little different.

Thanks for the reply.

The V6 in the 2010 is sweet - 6 speed transmission is so smooth -

Can't hardly wait until I get a few more miles on it - don't like to keep a new engine at high RPMs for very long -
    That is right. Push the button and it will get you up any snowy hill. I have used it in two snow storms here in RI. Plus I like the high ground clearance, I just went through a foot of water no problem. Oh by the way I am originally from Bristol, VT. Not many Hyundais there just Subaru's.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Anyone know when the 2011 with the redesigned engines/better gas mileage and bluetooth/usb standard will go on sale? Or am I confused and these new engines with better gas mileage and the bluetooth control on the steering wheel already in the 2010 model???
    The 2010 Santa Fe has all that what you asked. I have had one for 1 month now and really love it.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I was wondering if there might be a radical styling change such as the changes made to the 2010 Tucson. Would love to see a more cockpit feel to the front driver seat, a panoramic sunroof, and more legroom in the second row seats. My wife and I may be looking to trade in a 2004 Mountaineer in 2011 or 2012 and with the prices of vehicles becoming more and more ridiculous that's about all it would take to get me to spend 30K for a Hyundai. $30,000 is almost becoming the low end for a reasonably sized crossover. The Tucson is beautiful but too small. We love the Equinox and Ford Edge as well, but the Edge would easily run $36,000 for the similar options you could get on the Santa Fe. An Equinox might be around $33,000. We will have our youngest in college in the fall of 2011 and will need to cut some costs.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • jack102jack102 Member Posts: 4
    What happened to the dual exhuast outlets that are shown on other countries models?
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone who has purchased a 2010 Santa Fe with an automatic transmission noticed any whining sounds at low speed 5mph to 15mp in first and second gears,
    then it becomes less noticeable in third gear?
  • glucoseglucose Member Posts: 10
    I was sold on this vehicle, was told by other owners and dealership salespeople how this is a glass smooth vehicle. However when driving on the highway vibration is felt in the front end and you can feel it in the steering wheel, and sometimes in the gas pedal. It's smooth riding up until 105 km/hr , my husband also noticed that the speedometer reading is off by 8km so if Im driving 120 the gps says 112km/hr. This vehicle has been back to the dealership 4 times and the service manager cannot detect this annoying vibration. The tires have balanced and drive shaft changed but the vibration is still there. I called Hyundai Canada and was told in a a not so nice manner "that's how these SUV s drive" Is this really how Santa Fe drives?
    Turn the headlights on. Leave them on then turn the vehicle off they will go out by themself after a short time. The battery protection system turns off the lights. Then when you restart the vehicle the lights will come on. I do this because of the DRL issue.
  • drtechdrtech Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jack102

Bought the 2010 Santa Fe Ltd and love it. I took it to a local shop and they installed a $40 module for an hour's labor.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    So has anyone out there actually bought a Santa Fe with the new base 4-cylinder engine? Everytime I see a review of the 2010 model, it's always with the V6. Has the 4 cyl been able to handle the SUV's weight? Would love to hear some feedback. I'm thinking of getting a Santa Fe. The new V6 with 270hp seems a bit overkill though, while I wonder if the 4 cyl is going to be too underpowered.
    Hi I recently purchased a 2010 AWD Santa Fe, I haven't noticed any whining sounds in the low gears, but what I do have is vibration in front end and a pulsation in the steering on at highway speeds. After bringing the vehicle back to the dealership 5 times I'm told that's how it drives. Is this true?
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    I bought a Limited with the 4 banger a month ago. Power seems just fine. With 2 in the car and some stuff in the back, we climbed a pretty steep hill and the rpm's went to 4K while maintaining 70mph. Engine sounded very smooth. At 80mph on level ground the rpm's were 2700. Still not allowing it to maintain a steady speed or rpm range while breaking it in. Mileage on this particular 130 mile trip was 26.4. Going to make a 600 mile round trip this weekend with the inlaws so that will be a true test.
    With that said, I'll bet the V-6 would be a kick. Not sure it would be worth the extra $$$.
    edited March 2010
    It's not suppose to be that way .You may have a tire balance issue, if you can't get the dealer to to resolve the issue find a tire dealer how sells the type of tire on your vehicle and see if they can help.
    Hi, yes I brought it to an indepenent reliable mechanic and he told me the exact same thing you did. He put it in writing I took it to the original dealership and the the general manager asked my husband "so how am i going to fix it" he went on to say 'it's a characteristic of the vehicle" I cannot believe how unprofessional this Hyundai dealership is!
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Does anyone know the 0-60 mph time for the 2010 AWD V6?

Thanks.
    I have a 2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD with the Nav and upgraded audio. The car is great and my only disappointment is the audio system. The upgraded audio is okay but it seems like the rear speakers and sub don't have much oopf? The front speakers have all the sound. I faded from front to rear and could hardley hear the rear speakers. Is this right. I am thinking about upgrading the speakers. I wish the 2010 had the Infinity system. I am going to have them checked when I get my first oil change. ANy thoughts?
  • outbackj1outbackj1 Member Posts: 11
    I read in the manual that it's best not to use the ipod cable from Apple in the suv , that you need to purchase that cable through Hyundai. Anyone know about this and have any comments? Much appreciated.
    Jan
  • fattychalupafattychalupa Member Posts: 3
    So is it confirmed that there is no way to get the Infinity system on any of the 2010 Santa Fe's :( ?

Would I be better off getting a 2009 limited model or replacing the speakers on 2010 eventually?
    Hi does your 2010 AWD Santa fe have a vibration in steering wheel and front end ?
    I have a FWD and no there is no vibration in steering wheel or front end.
    I have not had any vibration problems yet. I have an AWD.
  • tt921tt921 Member Posts: 2
    Going to the shop 3/19/10 with my new 2010 Santa Fe Ltd AWD for vibration. Appears to be worse when it is cold and at low RPM with high output. Can sometimes feel it idleing at a light, feels like the engine is chocking on something as my wife explains it. I have read that it could be the Transmission or a computer component. Hoping the dealer does not give me the run around since I just bought the car and only have 400 or so miles on it. The vibration started at 300 miles.

I will keep you posted...
    Hi tt921, our vehicle has the same type of symptoms We are frustrated with this vibration, the dealership where we bought the vehicle from is refusing to look at it again. We cannot bellieve it we bought this brand new with 12 km on it and it went back into the dealership service the next morning after we drove it off the lot. I'm going to take it to another dealership and hopefully they can diagnose the cause and fix it. If it cannot be fixed we plan to take legal action as we are concerned it can be a safety issue. You should report your problem to your National Transportsafety department. Good luck and please keep us posted. By they way we sent a letter to Hyundai manufacturer in Alabama to let them know of the problem we are having and how the dealership has not been able to fix it.
    Anyone purchase the extended warranty ie Service Edge? I am trying to cancel this contract and am given a runaround from the dealer. Can cancel within 60 days and I bought the suv on 3/10. They are telling me the cost (1950.00) will have to be applied to the end of the loan which happens to be 72 months. I dont want it to be applied that way as a friend of mine received a check in the mail after she cancelled. Most unsatisfied with this dealership in NY. Any suggestions or info?
    Thanks Jan
    I purchased it. I changed my mind and went to the dealer to cancel after 30 days. It was $1800.00. They said they didnt have the forms. Finally they called and I came in and signed it. They did say that the money will be applied to the end of the loan. I also think there is a $50.00 admin fee. I haven't noticed it credited to my account yet.
    Thanks now I know I'm not the only one. No run around like this with Toyota. I purchased extended warranty for a Prius I had and after 30 days called and cancelled. No problem at all, received a check in the mail within a month.
  • tt921tt921 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer feels the vibration and tell me it is the torque converter. They say they can not do anything until Hyundai comes out with a fix. The more people that complain the faster we may be able to get this resolved. I will be mailing a letter to corporate headquarters to complain. The brochure states that the new 2010 is smooth...The roughest ride I have ever owned.
    The tech told me during our test drive that they had the same problem with the sonotas a few years ago and they came out with a software fix for the torque converter. The dealer was going to contact the Hyundai Tech line again and find out what steps to take next. The first time they contacted the tech line they were told to force balance the tires but we ruled out the tires since it rides smooth going downhill. I'll Keep you posted as I learn more.
    How did you find the address of the Headquarters? I definitely have something to tell them about the dealership I went to.
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    You could send them a letter telling them you have canceled the extended warranty and you want your money back. And then cc the state attorney general and Hyundai. May as well sic the BBB on them too.

Here's the Contact Us link for Hyundai USA.
    I read the brochure , yes it states smooth acceleration and vibration free. Im in Canada I have already sent a letter to Alabama and to Headquarters in California. This is unacceptable to have a new car with a vibration it is a safety issue and also puts wear on the engine. At least your dealership is up front with you about what the cause is, my dealership has brushed me off.
    Dealer telling me Hyundai does not make a retractable privacy shade for the rear of the 2010 Santa Fe. The vehicle has the cut-outs already to accommodate this. Anyone have any info on this?
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Here;s where I got mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Santa-Fe-2007-2009-Beige-Cargo-Screen-OEM- -NEW-/140384474499

Note that the listing says 2007-2009 ONLY. I don't know any reason it wouldn't fit a 2010, but you might want to check with the seller.
  • tdysontdyson Member Posts: 5
    Just bought the 2010 SF SE, then purchased the cargo privacy screen. There weren't any directions in the screen's box and I'm not clear on how to install it. Can anyone give me directions or suggestions? I thought this would be a no-brainer to install...
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    It pretty much is. See my reply in the "cargo screen" thread.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    My wife and I are looking at the 2010 Santa Fe (U.S.) and since we both enjoy manual transmissions, we are therefore tied to the 2.4L 4-Cyl. (and front wheel drive) if we proceed. I see that this is a 10.5:1 compression engine. Has anyone experienced engine knock with 87 Octane fuel? I've not read about this problem, so I assume that the direct injection works well and makes for a happy engine. Thanks for any thoughts.
  • dslgdslg Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone know if the premium audio system has a 6 disc CD player? We are thinking of getting the Santa Fe SE and adding premium package because I want a 6 disc player.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Are mudguards an option on the 2010 Santa Fe GLS? The option doesn't show in the brochure or Hyundai's website on the GLS, but does show as an option on the other trim levels. I'll bet a look under the fender of an SE and a GLS would tell for sure. Thank you.
  • chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    Apparently, Hyundai is not selling these for tha 2010 SF.
    Lund & others have them up to 2009. Does anybody know if they are compatible with the 2010.
    Also, the Mud Guards must be different. Hard to tell when they are side by side.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Is there a trick to removing the cross pieces on the roof rack? I don't care for the way they look and will never serve a purpose.
  • vidiot1985vidiot1985 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    We're shopping new SUVs and test drove the 2010 Santa Fe GLS and 2010 CR-V, and sat in a 2010 Forester (the family had had enough of test driving for the day :-).

I like the Santa Fe's quiet ride and roominess, but I'm iffy on the seats.

On the driver's seat, whenever I exit the vehicle I feel like the hard plastics at the edge of the seat by the tilt lever and maybe height adjust lever are jabbing the back of my legs.

On the rear seats, I can sometimes feel the exposed hinge mechanisms if I shift around the seat.

The two photos that show what I'm talking about are:

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/EI/2009/Hyundai/2009.hyundai.santa%20fe.20294129- - -E.jpg

and

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/EI/2009/Hyundai/2009.hyundai.santa%20fe.20294148- - -E.jpg

What do folks think? This would be my wife's car, so I won't be exiting the driver's seat very often, but does this problem disappear with experience with the car? Or do I need to develop a high-up SUV exit technique (this would be our first SUV)?

Do long trips in the back seat bring out the issue with those hinges, e.g. as you shift around to get some sleep or whatever? Do I need to put some throw pillows from the couch in the back seat to cover them up?