Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe

2»

Comments

• vidiot1985vidiot1985 Member Posts: 5
    I haven't looked intently at new cars in about six years. In looking at a few Santa Fe's yesterday, I noticed that it's a common problem for there to be large-ish, sometimes uneven gaps between door and hood edges and the quarter panels. Looking from the back, it almost looks like the doors aren't closed all the way on some of the vehicles on the lot. Some units were much better though.

I noticed the same issue on CR-Vs too (and even my brother's Audi Quattro from several years ago), so this isn't a Hyundai-specific question/rant on my part, but the Santa Fe is currently on the top of our list so I'm asking here.

Am I expecting too much from these ~$22K SUVs, hoping for small, even gaps and flush alignments between doors and quarter panels?

Is this the kind of thing they can fix at the dealer, e.g. by adjusting something at the hinges?
  • vidiot1985vidiot1985 Member Posts: 5
    I just checked Hyundai's web site and when using the Build Your Own Hyundai page, the Santa Fe GLS does have Mudguards as an accessory for $100.
  • wetsfeewetsfee Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please tell me the true fuel tank capacity for 2010 Santa Fe?? Internet says 19.8 gallons. Book that came with car says 17.96. Trip computer tells me that I have 280 miles to empty when I fill up. At 20 mpg, this would be a 14 gallon tank. Dealer not returning my calls and being evasive.
  • tdysontdyson Member Posts: 5
    Bought mine at the dealer. It was the same price as an online vendor -- who knew? They are definitely available and worth having.
  • lucilledlucilled Member Posts: 1
    Intermittenly when I start my vehicle, I turn the key on, no foot on brake or gas pedal, the vehcile feels like it is making a hard shift into a gear. Brought it back to dealer & was told this is chracteristic of this 2010 model due to the circulation of transmission fluid. Other years of the Santa Fe don't do this, due to the 2010 having a new engine. I was told to put my foot on the brake when I first start the car & this might correct this from happening. Should I put my foot on the brake when I am starting it up? Would not doing that, cause a hard shift intermitenly?
  • chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    Found out through purchase that the '09 Mudguards do fit the 2010 Sante Fe. Found them on line @ a Dealer for $40.00 + Shipping. About a 20 minute install for all 4
    guards.

Also, the 2005-2009 Ventvisors also fit the 2010 but you will have to get them through LUND.. Apparently Hyundai had problems with them falling off. Probably due to a hump on the mounting surface above the window, ( Bad design)
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Mine doesn't do that.
  • bikeman51bikeman51 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 GLS with the grey fabric upholstery. The odometer is at 2900 miles. The fabric in the seat bottom of the front seat is already showing significant wear from my back pocket where I keep my wallet. The wallet is standard size. My other cars with 36k and 85k have no wear from it. Is anyone else having this problem. I use to upholster furniture and this fabric looks like trouble.
  • wetsfeewetsfee Member Posts: 10
    I also bought a 2010 with about 4900 miles and grey fabric. I noticed when I drove it home that the fabric was creased. I finally found that I have to sit exactly in the middle to prevent this. Since this was unusual, I also wondered what the life of the fabric was going to be. I had a bad experience with leather cracking and saw that fabric usually holds up well so that's why I bought it. I guess we will see. I did buy small grey towels and put them on the seat which was really a good thing. They pretty much stay in place and will keep the fabric clean.
  • kygalinvakygalinva Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2010 Sante Fe on April 16 -- so far, I LOVE it with one exception that I noticed today for the first time. Driver's seat back squeaks when I move even a little bit. Is this something I should take in for 'new car service'
  • hydrochiefhydrochief Member Posts: 15
    I just got back from a road trip from VA to Key West and back. I did NOT have that problem. My highway speeds reached 80 mph on some highways...
    I really like my Santa Fe, however, there are some things that should have been standard imo:

1. The doors UNLOCK automatically when the gear shifter is put into park. This is BAD, especially in big cities where car-jacking and other crimes is a concern. I could not find in the manual where it says we can program the doors to stay locked. Sure, I can remember to hit the door lock, but in this day and age the doors should not automatically unlock! Since they do, then the computer should be programmable to my preferences...

2. There is no secondary warning for low fuel. The light comes on, sure, but how about some dinging when it actually gets to the "E"?

Anyone else have the same concerns?
    Anyone else have other issues that I just haven't noticed yet?
    We do that too. Too bad the insurance company doesn't consider that DRL tho...
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    I complained abouyt the door locks unlocking to Hyundai. I got a very nice reply, basically telling me to take it to the dealer and they can reprogram the locks to your liking. They have to plug in an external computer, like a laptop, called a GDS.

http://hyundaigds.spx.com/pdf/82548_Vol15_Issue08.pdf

Bad news. My dealer wants $50 to perform the change. Says it isn't part of the first year adjustment/service warranty. So I haven't had it done yet, but really should. $50 is cheap insurance. Maybe I should whine more. And maybe your dealer won't charge anything.
  • baladriverbaladriver Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering 2010 Santa Fe GLS. My dealer has added an item called "ADM" on the sticker. Costs $1895.00, what is this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2010
    Additional Dealer Markup.

Profit in other words. ;)

Stick to True Market Value and don't let the dealer stick it to you.

Check out the Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion and look at the articles under the Tips & Advice tab above.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2010
    Why posters here who run into such an incompetent, negligent and outright fraudulent, thieving stealership, not OUT them is beyond me. I would plaster their name from eon to ion.

Plus, vehicle purchasers should ALWAYS use the good common sense the superior power gave us.

Vibration anything at like what u describe is obviously not normal, and I am at a loss to believe the number of times that that is told to a customer, STILL! in this day and age."That's normal ma'am...they all do that." Puulleeeeze. These sleazy dealers and mechanics who try to still pull that card out of their hat over such obviously flawed devices and operations should be outed to the world. Shut them down with no sales. Now THAT is the attitude-changer that works.

But the number of victims who just eat it up and walk away, whether frustrated or not, is absurd. If some so and so tried to sell me that swamp land, one day after I just dropped 30k into their laps the day prior, they would have to close and lock up the shop with me still IN it....standing on their shiniest desk in my shop floor stained boots. I would start off calm, and escalate as necessary.

That's my nickel on it...but don't take my rant personally, ok? I just think people should quit letting these guys get away with such a weak weak excuse. "they all do that" ....sheeeesh...
  • baladriverbaladriver Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Steve. Good info to know. I did get the car, happy with the deal, happy with the car, so far. And I did get the locks reprogrammed at no extra charge as part of the deal. The forums are great!
  • plannermannplannermann Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 Santa fe, need running boards for the wife - any idea if you can get these from the dealer or secondary market???

Thanx
  • jjj4500jjj4500 Member Posts: 5
    FYI,,,, less than 9, 000 km and the drive shaft has to be replaced on my 2010 Santa Fe Ltd. I noticed a humming sound when accelerating and then it would be gone when I came to a complete stop. Started to idle forward and the humming sound returned.
    Booked a service appointment, the dealership identified the drive shaft as the problem, parts on order.
    I have a friend with the identical vehicle and it has already had its drive shaft replaced.
    I wonder how many others have had their drive shafts replaced????? Is this a common problem that needs more attention Hyundai?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    Is it just me or does it seem like the Santa fe models after 2007 have more major problems when new?
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Is it just me or does it seem like the Santa fe models after 2007 have more major problems when new?

It's just you. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously, you have to remember, it's the folks with problems that are most likely to post in a forum like this. Those who are happy with their vehicles are mostly silent.

Although, I must admit, two people in a row with bad driveshafts is a bit strange... :confuse:
  • myhyun2010myhyun2010 Member Posts: 7
    My 2010 Santa Fe has the same problem. When I accelerate between 10 to 40km, I hear a humming sound and when I stop, it goes away. Can you please let me know if your Santa Fe still have this problem after changing the drive shaft.
    I hear a thumoing sound when I come to a stop. It is coming from the rear end somewhere, but can't find it when I get out; only hear it inside the car. My best guess is that it is the gas tank float for the gas guage. I think this because it seems louder when the tank is nearer empty, and I haven't noticed it after I fill it up...

Anyone have any other ideas as to the source?
    Or if it should even be a concern?
  • jjj4500jjj4500 Member Posts: 5
    Drive shaft replaced, problem fixed.
    I wonder how many more drive shafts are being replaced in 2010 Santa Fe's?
    I'm taking my Santa Fe to the dealership this weekend. Hopefully they will hear the sound because the last time they didn't hear the humming sound.
    My Santa Fe sometime makes the humming sound and sometimes doesn't.
    I just hate it when I bring it in and they can't hear anything. What should I tell them if they don't hear anything again?

Thank you for you reply.
    When I took my 2010 Santa Fe in for the humming sound, they actually heard the sound. The dealer said it's not the drive shaft that's making that humming sound, it's the power steering pump. I really hope they are right!
  • navyscponavyscpo Member Posts: 20
    I also have a 2010 Santa Fe and have a noticed a loud annoying humming sound coming from the Pass. side. I haven't had a chance to have it looked at. Let me know what the verdict is. Thanks! Other than that no problems after one year of ownership.
    I will let you know when the new power steering pump is installed.

Does anyone have a problem with the driver side door? My is not opening and closing properly. The hook on the frame of the car seems to be a little to high, which cause the door to hinge up before closing and hinge down when opening. I have to close my driver side door a little harder then the other doors.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Ever wanted to Mute or Turn Off the Radio from the Steering Wheel? just press and hold the MODE Button. About one second does the trick. When you just touch it again, it resumes the same Mode.

Enjoying my Santa Fe. Hope y'all do too.
    After installing the power steering pump, it still has the humming sound. I have to being it back to Hyundai again. I still think what's causing the humming sound is the drive shaft but, Hyundai said it's not the drive shaft.
    When you have a chance to bring in your Santa to have it checked out, please also let me know the result okay.
    Hyundai finally agreed that the humming sound is coming from the drive shaft. They installed a new drive shaft last week and the humming sound went away.
  • slydryslydry Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    My driving shaft was changed too on my 2010 Sante fe... as well as my transmission, radio (three times), A/C sensor and this week the front shaft on the driver side had to be 'clipped' in back in the transmission.