Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

Comments

• 04coloradoz7104coloradoz71 Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me the other day got the ABS fault message so i turned off the truck and turned it back on and the problem was fixed, now the check engine light is on and i had it checked and these are the codes i got B0040, B0221, B0895, V1000, V102e,V1064,P0300, most of these related to the rf wheel speed sensor, rf anti lock brake, device 1 voltage low, class 2 data link, loss of class 2 something???, lost communication with body and misfire, does anyone know how to fix this and how much it cost.
  • n9cvn9cv Member Posts: 30
    Here is the way I would approach this.

First based on the poor history these sensors on Colorados and Canyons, it is probably a right front wheel sensor dirty, or adjustment, or occasionally defective.

Rather than throw expensive parts at it like most dealerships will do, I suggest that you try to narrow it down first. I would clear all of the codes and reset the ABS controller. Then the moment you get a new ABS light have the codes checked again. Hopefully this time you will not so many codes to deal with. Also there is a good possibility that after you reset it you may not see the problem again.

To reset all of these simply disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or more (overnight is fine). When reconnecting the battery attach the battery cable and immediately tighten it again. The computers (ABS, PCM and BCM) do not like the power flickering off and on, so connect the cable once and do not let it bounce around during reconnection.

If it is a bad sensor it is entirely possible the is is just dirty or out of adjustment. Most dealerships will not tell you this as they make more money replacing it. Clean the sensor and pick up with brake cleaner. Then tap slightly in on the sensor to make sure it is seated all the way. That is usually all that is wrong with these.

If it turns out to be a bad sensor, the sensor is available WITHOUT the hub assembly from GM. Replace the sensor WITHOUT the hub. It is a much cheaper repair. Most GM dealerships will tell you that you need a new hub assembly when cleaning or replacing the sensor is all that is needed.

Good Luck
  • north1983north1983 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I too have had a lot of ABS problems coming on and going off ! I have a 2006 Colorado crew cab with 26,000 miles on it. I took it to a GM dealer two times for the same problem they changed FL ABS hub and sensor a ground problem, that fixed it for about a year now the warranty on my truck is over with and now the ABS problem is back I think it's the FR ABS ( and it only has 26,000 miles on it ) My vin is 1GCCS136768307835 The dealer is Kelly Chevrolet Fort Wayne In 500 E. State Ave 46805 Thanks Marvin
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If you haven't gotten in contact with us already, we would be happy to get a Service Request going for you on this. Please email us your name/Edmunds username, contact info (phone and address) and perhaps a link to this post (as my coworker Christina answers incoming emails). We'd be happy to look into whatever options may be available for you, although we can't promise anything up front.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • north1983north1983 Member Posts: 2
    I think I will just fix my truck and trade in for something other than GM , I don't need the run arounds .I now GM will not fix any of this, they really dropped the ball on this one .So I'm done driving a chevy after 30 + years driving and working a chevy
    I can understand your decision, and wish you all the best.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tammy72tammy72 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 Colorado for about 11 months and drove it about 7,000 miles. It has 50,000 on it right now. I'm having ABS problems. The fault light comes on. The brake pedal gets hard where you can barely stop and makes a loud noise. I've had the brakes checked and they are fine. I'm thinking that it is probably a sensor. I don't think I should pay $17,000 not even a year ago, then fork out another couple hundred for this problem. I believe after reading all the complaints from other owners, this should be a recall on GM's part as a safety hazard.
  • kpokpo Member Posts: 24
    Sarah, Re: ABS, 4WD, Leaks, Anti-theft/no start, rear brakes 02-16-2012
    The answers to your request:
    Ken Overdorf/ KPO/ ...68226297/ don't have a dealer that I can call "your (my) dealer".
    I look forward to hearing from Christina. Check Service Bulletin#04-08-57-004A for starters.
    Sarah, Re: ABS, 4WD, Leaks, Anti-theft/no start, rear brakes 02-16-2012
    Ken Overdorf/ KPO/ ...68226297/ don't have a dealer that I can call "your (my) dealer".
    I look forward to hearing from Christina. Check Service Bulletin#04-08-57-004A for starters.
    I'll Try Quigley Chevy (Bally, PA) for a dealer.
    Ken
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for that information, Mr. Overdorf,

I believe I have found your file in our database using your VIN. Has your address changed since September of 2009 (when you last had a request open with us)? I have opened a new case, and for your records that number is 71-1039872072.

If you would please send us an email verifying your current address and phone number, and if you would please also include your current mileage on the Colorado, we will move forward from there.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Where had you gotten your brakes checked? If it was with a GM dealership, we'd be happy to follow up with them and learn more for you.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    My breaks were checked at a local garage. I can arrange to have the breaks checked at Kenny Ross's in Somerset, PA, where I bought the truck. I'm just not willing to pay them double the money to fix the ABS that a regular garage would charge half of. I also printed all the complaints to take a long to Kenny Ross's. I will be going this Saturday, Feb 18. I'm truly thinking of trading this truck if some type of arrangement can't be made. My last vehicle was a 98 Ford Ranger that ran great and lasted me years (and was much cheaper). This is quite ridicoulous that this has not been a recall with all the complaints from owners.
    Please keep us posted on how the visit goes tomorrow, tammy72. If you would like to get a Service Request set up at all through us, please send us an email (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and dealership) at the address in my profile.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah, 2-18-2012 12:12AM
    Since you have advised Colorado owners to take their pickup to a GM/ Chevy dealer to 'look' at the problem, I am curious as to what one should expect from said company.
    Is there a recall on the ABS system yet?
    If a person decides to take his /her Colorado to a Chevy dealer for this ABS issue (and many others that seem to be universal), what are the agreed arrangements between parties for payment, service, diagnostics and resolution followup? Is the GM company going to step up with integrity or just talk a game?
    Ken / KPO
    I went to the Kenny Ross dealership this morning to find out why the abs fault light is on and my brake pedel gets hard and will not stop me until the ABS fault light comes on. Well like everyone else on this forum, both sensors need replaced. Surprise!!! I will be taking action to this problem. This is definately a safety issue. I bought this crew cab truck because I have a new granddaughter and needed something with a back seat, and I always drove trucks. I wish I would have kept my 1998 Ford Ranger. At least there were never any major problems with it. I also noticed none of the GM reps on here talk about the safety issue. When there is snow on the road, the truck slides real quick when the abs is acting up. This entire forum will be on my attorneys desk come next week. I don't mess around when it comes to my family!
    It is interesting that BOTH sensors are bad at exactly the same time. I question the diagnosis.
    I stood there right beside them as they hooked the computer up ( which at first kept getting commication lost due to bad connection) right abs code, then left abs code. I took the fuse out this morning. I will be dealing with this my own way. Once again, the subject of a recall is ignored. This is frustrating to me. But if interested, you can call Kenny Ross in Somerset and speak to Tom Ling. He's the service rep that did the diagnosis.
  • ladsonscdad26ladsonscdad26 Member Posts: 4
    I was involved (and at fault) for an accident on Feb 23, 2012, While on the way home, i rear ended a vehicle, but when i realized i was approaching a stopped vehicle, i pressed the brake pedal and felt a very hard vibration, (it felt like a jack hammer in the pedal), and the brakes did not engage and i hit them, This is the second time this has happened in a chevrolet made truck. i drive a 2006 chevy colorado xtreme, i heard there was a recall on something to do with the brake system, but looking online i have not found anything, after the accident, my truck was still driveable, and the brakes worked fine. I have not had any problems with them before, but the same thing happened 12 years ago in my new s-10. can anyone offer any insight as to why this has happened, or if it is faulty manufacturer parts? i bought the truck from a chevy dealership in SC and have only had the truck for 5 months. the truck has 51k miles on it and is still under warranty at this moment.
    i forgot to mention the abs engaged 30-35mph, i spoke to a mechanic at a dealership and he told me that it was the abs, and it was doing what it was intended to do, i told him how fast i was going, and what it did, with the jack hammering in the pedal, and felt that it did not slow down at all, and he said the abs acts as a foot pump on a much faster level, and that when it senses a lock up the abs comes on and frees the wheel to avoid and control loss, i asked him at my vehicles discretion considering i was not going very fast, that it takes it upon itself to compromise my ability to stop rather than lose control, and he said he would nto use the term compromise, and he ahd to go becuase they were short handed.
    Im starting to really regret buying this truck thinking about it now, my airbag was not deployed either, at a 35 mph accident, im going to talk to an attorney this morning after i go to Gm to find out why my airbag did not deploy, im going to have some pitures taken, im really freaked out about getting back into this truck.
    I hate to tell you this but that is how ABS works. To test it go out on a wet street with no one around and slam on the brakes. It should vibrate the brake pedal as it applies the brakes.

Sorry....
    We're glad to hear that you're okay after this accident, ladsonscdad26. If we could get a Service Request started for you (I see that your airbags did not deploy), please send us an email at the address located in my profile with: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership, as well as any further details you may wish to include about the incident.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    im no mechanic by any means, but through the mechanics i have talked to at maximum 35mph under normal braking conditions, the abs should not have activated, im not sure which is why i am here. im just trying to get some clarity on the issue.
    Sarah, 2-24-2012
    After expressing the same ABS issues, I replied to your request for my info (please send us an email at the address located in my profile with: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership,etc.), but have not heard from you. What does that mean?
    Ken,
    KPO
    Good morning,
    I've been checking my inbox and haven't seen an email from you. I'm sorry about that! Would you mind please resending it to me? Or if you wanted to try sending the information to socialmedia@gm.com, that would work as well. Again, I'm sorry for the delay and am not sure why the email would not go through.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    OK,

I have engaged ABS at 55 mph and at 10 mph under panic stops on multiple GM vehicles. I also tow some very heavy trailers with trailer brakes and I use the ABS trigger point on the Colorado ABS to adjust the rear brake controller for maximum effectiveness without locking up the trailer wheels.

I do not know where your 35 mph figure comes from. I googled ABS speed and ABS engagement speed plus several other iterations and found nothing.

From experience I think that ABS engages at all speeds and I can not find anything in writing to disprove this.

Good Luck
    Sarah,
    I re-sent this to you and "social media":
    I look forward to hearing from Christina or Sarah. Check Service Bulletin#04-08-57-004A for starters.
    I'll Try Quigley Chevy (Bally, PA) for a dealer.
    KPO
    Thank you for your patience, Mr. Overdorf. Christina just confirmed that she received your email and will be getting back with you at some point this afternoon/evening.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjs777rjs777 Member Posts: 1
    Again my wifes crew cab 2005 Colorado is back in the garage with brake problems FOR THE SECOND time, I was told that the Rotors, Hubs and sensors will be replaced and this should eliminate the ABS issues, needless to say after 3 close calls with the system activating at normal driving speed!! Once this work is complete I will not be comfortable with my wife driving it but I have made up my mind that 1) I am seeking legal advice regarding this issue. 2) Will be in contact with the Ohio Attorney General regarding this issue and 3) Possibly making contact with a news action team to bring this out in the open, what has to happen before something is corrected properly? Someone being injured or a fatality?? I have had enough of the lame excuses, would a GM rep put a member of their family behind the wheel of a potentially unsafe vehicle??? You be the judge...
  • stephanieradstephanierad Member Posts: 2
    Took my truck into the shop yesterday for an abs problems. ABS engaged consistently while braking. Scared the hell out of me the first time it happened and I ended up in the middle of an intersection because of my frightened reaction. It has gotten so bad that it does it every time you break. At this point, I have to get it fixed. Truck needs tag renewed in less than a month. This is a major safety issue. My issue is to how both speed sensors, on the front end, would go bad at the same time? This sounds like a design failure of some sort. Either way I am disappointed in Chevy. They should have a safety recall on this issue seeing so many are having the same problem. It is going to cost me $1650.00 to replace both hub assemblies (they say they cannot just change the speed sensor, which sounds like a bunch of bull to me after my research) with new speed sensors and the job will be 9 hours labor. WTH, the truck only has 55k on it!!

I did research the problem here before going to the mechanic. I took it to my local shop instead of the dealer. Our local dealer is a rip off or they always come back and say "we couldn't duplicate the problem," which just costs me more money in the end. I think I will buy a Ford next time.
  • stephanieradstephanierad Member Posts: 2
    One last thing, when this first started happening, why didn't the fault light come on. Now the fault like only comes on after the incident, like I didn't already know that there was a problem.
    Hello stephanierad,

I'm sorry to read about your Colorado's brake concerns and hope that the repair at your local shop goes well.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • swann11swann11 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    I have a 2004 Chevy colorado which I purchased new in Sept 2004. As of March 2012 it has 40,469 miles on it. Started having intermittant ABS and brake problems when the vehicle had approximately 20,000 miles. Chevy dealer (in Ravenel, SC) stated on several occasions that it was useless for me to bring in the vehicle if the fault code wasn't present. They did check it once when I had it in for other "electrical" problems and couldn't duplicate the problem. The tech stated that this was a known problem and that a recall would probably be issued.
    He then went on to say "Don't worry about it Mam, we'll take care of it when the light stays on". ARRGGHHHH
    Now my vehicle is sitting at the Crews Cherolet dealership in Charleston, SC waiting for me to pick it up. Was first quoted $335 to replace the sensor, then called back with a higher quote. Over $600 to replace the hub (bearing) and sensor. Wait a minute...this problem started while the vehicle was under warranty why should I have to pay (just a note, my GM extented warranty ran out 5 months ago). Was given the 800 number to contact GM cust serv ( I have a file number). They got back to me today. Anna (District rep), offered me a $500 credit toward a new car purchase!!! WHAT!!! Are you kidding me!!! She stated their wasn't a known problem with the ABS system and that I was responsible for the repairs. This isn't just burnt out light bulbs, a faulty A/C, or any of the other miscillaneous problems...this is a safety issue.
    I'm filing a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Here is the link for filing a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ I urge others, please file too
    That is the same story repeater over and over and over again. There is no known problem. Your are the first one, etc, etc , etc. If they admit there is a problem then they are on the hook to repair the thousands of other vehicles with the same problem.

I have repaired several Colorados with the is same problem. Mine had the problem and I just cleaned and adjusted he sensor. If the hub is not making noise then just replace or clean and adjust the sensor.

The problem is GM did not list just the sensor as a repair part, so you had to order the whole hub. In 2006 or 2007 GM came out with a repair part number for just the sensor. That part also fits the 2004. The aftermarket parts suppliers also sell the sensor for about 1/2 of what GM gets.
    Ken, if you're tired of the run around like I am see part of my message below with link for reporting to Nat Highway Safety Admin ................................... She stated their wasn't a known problem with the ABS system and that I was responsible for the repairs. This isn't just burnt out light bulbs, a faulty A/C, or any of the other miscellaneous problems...this is a safety issue.
    I'm filing a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Here is the link for filing a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ I urge others, please file too
    if you're tired of the run around see part of my message below with link for reporting to Nat Highway Safety Admin (it only takes a ssecond to file a complaint (have your VIN number) ................................... She stated their wasn't a known problem with the ABS system and that I was responsible for the repairs. This isn't just burnt out light bulbs, a faulty A/C, or any of the other miscellaneous problems...this is a safety issue.
    Hi n9cv,
    I understand what you are saying and what you are not saying, since you seem to have the "easy solution" to just clean and adjust the sensor. You obviously also seem to be a GM service tech oriented or just very 'car smart'.

You said, " There is NO known PROBLEM. Your are the first one, etc, etc , etc. If they admit there is a problem then they are on the hook to repair the thousands of other vehicles WITH THE SAME PROBLEM." From that statement I am convinced that there is a PROBLEM, but GM does not want to make it their PROBLEM.
    When a person buys a vehicle, they assume(and so does the US DOT) that the vehicle is designed to function safely and consistently until a mechanical part is assumed to have been in service for a realistic length of time and then is considered to be 'worn out' and therefore 'unsafe'. Tires and brake pads or shoes have typically so many miles of " useable life". "A product's service life is its expected lifetime, or the acceptable period of use in service. It is the time that any manufactured item can be expected to be 'serviceable' or supported by its MANUFACTURER."( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_life ) This is not a wear and tear senario. These highly important 'parts' should function like the brake shoes even if they get a little dirt on them. You said, "Mine had the problem and I just cleaned and adjusted he sensor." They should not put the owner's life or others on the road, in jeopardy with an unpredictable failure that does NOT stop the vehicle at some unknown time and that is not considered a known"service life". The key here is that this is NOT being supported by the manufacturer and its is a DESIGN FLAW. If it was wear and tear or routime service then GM would take the responcibility and would be informing the customer/owners of such a service life and quote a time or approximate milage that required service should be preformed to maintain safe operation. They ONLY manufacture and sell the vehicle; they don't hold responcibility for the vehicle.
    The PROBLEM is again that GM knows there is a PROBLEM and so in 2006 the sensor part was made available separate from the whole hub assembly; probably so they would not have to 'recall' and hold themselves responcible for a design flaw. They just keep making the assembly the same every year and don't bother to redesign it for each new model year. It’s all about money; not the public safety. Chevy Runs Deep (into your pocket). I filed a complaint with Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).
    It’s all about money; not the public safety. I filed a complaint too.
    I'm glad to hear that you are working with your District Specialist on this, swann11. If you should ever want an update on what's going on with your case, please get us your file number (71-********) and we'd be happy to provide you any new information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • m5xm14m5xm14 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Colorado with about 56,000 miles. My wife drives it to work which is close so the mileage is low. I now have the ABS and Traction Fault messages that show up and stay on almost all the time. And now an occasional red brake light that pops on and off. New brakes were put on about a year ago. The local mechanic that I use, said it would cost at least $600 to repair. It is discouraging to see so many posts on this problem. As an engineer (but not automotive) I know that when a problem is this prevalent on any product that a) the company is well aware of it and b) they should have a solution should they want to keep customers happy. I'll have it fixed soon because brakes would seem to be a pretty important part of the driving experience! The occasional feel of grinding or mushiness when you hit the brake is a little scary! I've been a loyal GM customer for years but I'm afraid that time may be over!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    m5xm14,
    Thank you for taking you time to post your concerns and experience. I apologize for the frustrations you have experienced. Please feel free to email me directly with you VIN and I am happy to look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • m5xm14m5xm14 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Christina. Do I give you my email here? I didn't see an email address for you.

Mark
    Christina,
    Is there a recall yet on this ABS FAULT issue? I have not heard about that from my District Rep. Hasn't there been enough Colorado owners with the same problem?
    Many have paid hundreds to a GM dealer and still have the same problem. When a person buys a vehicle, they assume(and so does the US DOT) that the vehicle is designed to function safely and consistently until a mechanical part is assumed to have been in service for a realistic length of time and then is considered to be 'worn out' and therefore 'unsafe'. Tires and brake pads or shoes have typically so many miles of " useable life". "A product's 'service life' is its expected lifetime, or the acceptable period of use in service. It is the time that any manufactured item can be expected to be 'serviceable' or supported by its MANUFACTURER."( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_life ) This is not a wear and tear senario. These highly important 'parts' should function like the brake shoes even if they get a little dirt on them. Like Swann11, is GM going to offer an insult of $500 off a new purchase?
    I too filed a complaint with Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).
    Ken
    :lemon: 2006 Colorado= ABS :lemon:
    m5xm14,
    I apologize, I am unsure why it is not showing up. Please email me at SocialMedia@gm.com. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    kpo,

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your Chevrolet Colorado. Recalls are VIN specific and if you would like you can email me at SocialMedia@gm.com with your VIN and current mileage. Each customer and their concerns are handled on a case by case basis, but I would be happy to assist you with your current situation.

Regards,

Christina
    GM Customer Service
    The most used phrase of GM and their representatives. "I'm sorry..."
    GM says directly with employee’s words and indirectly by way of actions or lack of actions:
    I’m sorry(GM) that you are having so many issues with your Colorado.
    I’m sorry(GM) that your warranty is expired so we (GM) can’t (won’t) help you with your faulty parts failures. We will take your money to blindly replace any and all parts that we can convince you that you ‘need’ to restore your prematurely unreliable GM product to service again.
    I’m sorry(GM) that you have no choice to buy another vehicle as a replacement for your unreliable GM product, since the economy is flat and Middle America has no financial resources to dump us. You’re stuck with GM (no other mechanic knows how to fix this junk) and you need to get to work (if you even have a job).
    I’m sorry that we (GM) don't back up the products and the parts that we manufacture.
    I'm sorry that we (GM) can't and won't support you or any of our other loyal owners of Colorado.
    I'm sorry (GM) that your appeal for GM integrity to make good on the many GM manufactured and engineering flaws have fallen on deaf, greedy and self serving ears. I'm sorry to say that although we have told you that these parts and systems are 'wear and tear' (they are really flawed parts) items we will still try to appease you by taking your information and setting up a 'case' to string you along, simply to wear you and your persistence down so you will give up. After all. we don't lose money (we save money), we don't jeopardize our life (it's your life[nobody has died yet, so it’s not important] and vehicle not ours)and we don't lose our time or piece of mind with the mechanical/ electrical FAILURES and down time.
    I’m sorry we (GM) just took your money when we sold you the vehicle, but had no intention of backing the product.
    I’m sorry (GM) that the American tax payers gave us billions for the ‘Bailout’, but we will go out of business eventually and lay off thousands of our employees while never paying back the debt. (another promise broken by GM)
    I'm sorry as an American citizen, that America does not mean 'Quality' anymore.
    I'm sorry as an American citizen, that American corporations have sold out the USA to China. (Our national debt went through loans to China and other countries; As of January 2011, foreigners owned $4.45 trillion of U.S. debt)
    I’m sorry(GM) that we are only following the USA big corporations philosophy: One nation under greed.
    Now, I'm sorry, but we need to tell the world and all of America what is happening to us and GM (and many other corporation) to stop the bleeding before we all suffer a greater loss and become a Chinese territory.
    Ken Overdorf
  • pgallensteinpgallenstein Member Posts: 14
    I hope you have better luck than I did if you contact a news action team. This is the email that I sent to Howard Ain of WKRC in Cincinnati and his response follows.

Problem_Complaint: Anti-Lock Brake System on 2006 Colorado
    Problem_Description: I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado with 22,300 miles. I purchased the truck 2 years ago when it had 14k miles from McFarland Chevrolet in Maysville, Ky. At 21,900 miles I got an ABS Fault alarm, the alarm cleared once vehicle was turned off and restarted. Researching this problem on the internet, I found I'm not the only one that has this issue. I went to Chevrolet's website and emailed them my concerns. They replied say " Due to the nature of your concern, we would like to continue this communication through telephone. One of our representatives will assist you with the concern within one business day." A phone conversation followed and I was assured the vehicle was safe to operate and if the ABS alarm came on again to let know. The ABS Fault alarm came on the next day and has been doing so almost every time I drive it. I went to Edmunds.com and posted my problem on the forum board. GM customer replied and my vehicle information was sent to them, and to keep them informed on what the dealership found.
    McFarland Chevrolet diagnosed the problem as a defective left front speed sensor. I was given an estimate on best & worst case scenario to fix ($320/$700). Technician also told me that they have never had a "best case scenario." He told me that this was a defect in the Colorado's. I told GM customer service that I felt this is a safety/defect issue and that no vehicle with 22k should have this problem and repairs should be no cost to me. I also filed a safety complaint online with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). GM Customer Service corresponded with McFarland's a few times and their offer was, Chevrolet would agree to pay for the cost of parts and I would have to pay labor cost. I feel that if they are willing to pay the cost of the parts, then the parts are defective and Chevrolet should consider a recall. I reluctantly accepted their offer and vehicle is scheduled for repair next week. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

His response was:
    Yes. By all means keep a copy of all your receipts and credit card statements showing what you've paid for this. Given what you've said it seems as if there should be a recall of some sort and that you would be entitled to be reimbursed.
  • brewerguybrewerguy Member Posts: 11
    If you do decide to go with the fix, would it be possible for you to file for an arbitration case? I did it once back in the 80s with a Celebrity rear seal that was improperly repaired by a dealer in Fla. while I was on vacation, which resulted in a clutch burning up a few months later. I won the case. It was not a large sum that I ended up with, but the moral victory was worth it.

Back on the subject of the ABS problems, has anyone else noticed that the ABS faults subside when warmer weather arrives? That's what my '05 does. In the winter, I'll get a fault warning once a week or so but in the warmer months I'll see one maybe once a month. Weird.

Otherwise I really love my Colorado. All I've done to it in 55,000 miles are oil changes, a set of tires and a cooling system flush. Only one dealer visit under warranty for minor problems. That's it. Nice vehicle except for the ABS thing, which I've decided to ignore until it goes out completely. Good luck.