Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Congrats. I also like the new Optima. Thining of getting one myself. I wonder what the sunroof looks like with both open. I haven't seen it yet in person.
  • pavlogradpavlograd Member Posts: 7
    Only the front section of the sunroof opens. The glass slides back over the glass of the rear section. However, when you open the front, the sliding opaque interior headliner portion opens along with the front to open the rear 'skylight'. I like it and also like the way the black glass makes the roof shiny glass black.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited January 2011
    does she look anything like this?

2011 Kia Optima EX in Dark Cherry

Beautiful car-stunning!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Good day

Im glad that you love your new 2011 Kia. Looks like a very nice car and i May be interested in getting the Turbo this spring to trade in my Acura TL 2010 for it.
    What bothers me and May prevent me from getting the Kia Optima is the Service Light.
    Does the Optima have this Service Light that comes on when you need Service especially for an Oil Change or can you just do the Oil changes at a certain Mileage?? Is their this Light on the OPTIMA?? Also whats the Mileage for an Oil Change on the Optima Also Tire Rotation Air Filter Change
    Im really more concerned about the Oil Change with the Service Light

Thank you kindly :)
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Sorry, I've just got to ask. What is so darned important about an oil change service light? If the oil change service light is on and this really bothers you, why not just reset it to get rid of the annoyance?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I am pretty sure just about every new design car has some sort of maintenance interval indicator. But, nothing stopping you from doing service more often if you desire.

And, if you are willing to trade in an almost new car on a 1 year newer one, maintenance costs should be the least of your worries!

Unless of course you just have an issue with the light, not doing the service.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Is the optima the same sizewise as the sonata? I sat in a sonata today and it seemed huge to me. No new optimas here locally, or I should say they're not here long enough to get to see one.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Pretty much, yes. Although the interior space of the Optima must be a tad less than the Sonata's, since the EPA has the Optima in the Mid-sized car class and the Sonata in the Large-car class.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I have an 07 Optima and an 05 Malibu Maxx. I generally change the Maxx when the OLM gets less than 10%. Before they threw him out for dissing Amsoil, the inventor of the GM OLM used to post to Bobistheoilguy. This is a pretty sophisticated tool and if it says you can go 7K on an oil change, I believe you can go 7K. The extended Kia warranty and the 3K severe oil change interval means I'm spending hundreds on unnecessary changes to cma.

That an the lack of a mpg counter in the DIC are two of the last gen Kias greatest shortcomings IMO.
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Good Day

As to what you said. I have no problems doing the service its just that maintenance minder light.

According to what Acura told me and from i think they said that you have to wait for the light before you change the oil If you change the oil before the light then you could mess up future service things.

Right now i have only about 2100 miles and i bought the car in May. Still havent changed the oil because the light hasnt come yet.
    I still have 50% oil Life
    I remember cars i use to own whereby i could bring the car in for service when i wanted to as per Mileage like 3000 for an oil change
    This now is almost 8 months even though i have only 2100 miles but its 8 months. To me maybe that kind of long
    Usually the manuals use to say change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months

So thats whats maybe annoying me re waiting for that Maintenance Minder Light.

Otherwise im looking at the KIA.

Have a nice day
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    why don't you download the Optima owners manual and read all about the service settings, it starts on page 4-53, it might clarify your concerns.

Just curious, if you have a Acura and only done 2100 miles in eight months why would you be wanting to get rid of it, or would the Optima be another vehicle?
  • trainer1366trainer1366 Member Posts: 24
    Yes, that's it!!! Luv it!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Yes, that's it!!! Luv it!

Because it's a beautiful new misize sedan from Kia!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• atomic13atomic13 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find info anywhere, or pics. With the panoramic sunroof, does it have sliding type covers or are they always "open" - meaning, light can always come through, not that the sunroof itself is open. I ask because back in the day, I had a 240SX with a pop-up sunroof that had no cover. Living in Florida, I constantly baked under that glass. I ask about the Optima, because every picture I see of the sunroof does not seem to show any cover/sliding component (at least, not like I am used to seeing).

I was also wondering if anyone knew anything or had seen the 18" "luxury" rims that are an option (or rather, part of option packages) on the SX? Are they just bigger versions of the Cuisinart *shudder* wheels standard on the SX or do they have a different pattern?

I hope Kia updates their website with more pictures as time goes by. Thank you everyone for any info you can help with.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I don't know for sure, but every other car with a moonroof has a sliding shade of some kind these days, and I would be very surprised if the Optima did not have one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    The images I've seen don't seem to have any manual shades; unless they are powered...

larger image
  • There are shades over the roof glass of the 2011 Optima. Stop worrying about this detail. ALL sunroofs now have shades.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    See the pics. Description says they are powered.

Open:

Closed:
    not worried at all...just provided picks i came across.
    Thanks for the pics, i suspected they were powered; all the fancy cars are powered...and now KIA falls in this category :)
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Is the UVO system currently available on the 2011 Optima?

What trim levels have it?

Thanks,

JC
    "With Ford's popular Sync infotainment system clearly in the crosshairs, Kia Motors on 1/4/2011 confirmed that it will roll out a similar system dubbed UVO, //starting with the 2011 Kia Sorento this summer. UVO, which is short for "Your Voice," will then roll out to other Kia vehicles, the automaker said."

Please check out the link below for more UVO system information. Hope this helps!
    http://www.insideline.com/kia/kia-uvo-infotainment-system-targets-ford-sync.html-
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I think that was from last year =)

UVO isnt on the Optima quite yet as far as I know, there is speculation it might debut with the SX trim level or maybe the Hybrid model. It is supposed to get it though eventually, just not sure when.
    My Kia manual states change the oil every 5k miles, but I previously owned a 2004 Optima and changed it at 6000= 6500 without a problem. The Kia dealer told me I strech oil changes because new cars can handle less frequent oil changes if non extreme driving conditions.
    Also, the 2011 Optima has a service menu that the driver can program for service and oil changes. Check out the manual for details. Hope this helps!

LUV my Optima!!!!! :):blush: :shades:
    Oops, Dash, so sorry! Itwas from 2010. My Optima does not have the UVO, I misread the article and thought that maybe by the summer of 2011, Kia would add the system to it's line up. :D

Consumer Reports recently slammed Ford's MyTouch system. Kia probably took notice and will design a better system, hopefully.
    While I really LIKE the car, a lot of their options and standard features on the EX are unnecessary. Heated steering wheel? Heated and cooled seats? Isn't that what used to be called airconditioning and heating? They've managed to mark up the car with needless gizmos.

They also know that if your heated steering wheel stops working you probably won't run to the stealership to get it fixed right away. You might wait for a couple of other issues to pile up or put it off before inconviencing yourself for that. Hopefully you'll never come in and get it addressed. Then they've managed to charge you more for something you never needed in the first place. Kinda like the automobile version of rebates or gift cards. They hope you'll forget.

Don't get me wrong, it's got some great specs. But if they don't live up to the hype, all the unneeded add ons will end up just being lipstick on a pig. According to this review, the tires are worthless right out of the box. So far, not good. Let's see what time says this car REALLY is.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    A lot (more than you listed) "unnecessary" features are OPTIONAL on the EX trim. Nobody is or will be forcing you to buy them. It's your choice. So, I don't see a reason to whine here.
    LOL you beat me to saying the same thing. I do, however, agree with the point about tires, that's unfortunate. Although to get rid of the stock SX rims I just can't embrace, my plan is to get aftermarket wheels and some real tires so that takes care of that.
    Mark up the car? It's easily one of the best values in the segment, even eclipsing the Sonata which has been touted as a high value purchase. You're getting more for less, then worried something will break and it's a Kia conspiracy to boot :confuse:

If you want to talk reviews, I can give you about a dozen highly positive ones from mainstream sources including the one we're posting on which calls it a must drive in the class and lists "impressive value" as a strength.

As for time, we've seen the engine for a while now in the Sonata and the Optima has been around for some months now as the K5 in Korea. Doing quite nicely there as far as I know.

The tires, well there I might agree with you. Dont know much about them.
  • Kia includes these features for the same price (or less) than comparable models that don't offer any sort of similar equipment. If you live in WI in January as I do, the heated wheel is a godsend. Formerly, you usually had to spend 10's of thousands more for a model that offered this terrific feature.

As for heated and cooled seats, these are great features with leather. I will not buy a car with leather that does not have heated seats. In the heat of summer, the seat ventilation does wonders for your comfort on leather. Heated rear seats are a great idea too. Why should your rear passengers sit on an icy leather seat when you and your front passenger sit on warm leather.

I would buy an EX right now, but I think I want an AWD sedan, given my steep driveway and winter. That limits me to cars like the Kizashi, A4, Infiniti G, etc. Most of them are considerably more $$ than the Kia.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Did you choose your new car because of the infotainment technology features it offered? Might you be tempted to replace a used car that feels out of date from an infotainment technology standpoint? If so a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, January 25, 2010 with your daytime contact info and a few words on the topic.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I drove both vehicles in the same day. The Kia has great features for the money, but I thought that the Regal was more comfortable. In the Buick, both front seats have power and adjustable lumbar support. The Regal also feels more solid and heavier (which it is) on the road.

The Kia's infotainment center is easier to use. The Regal employs an "I-drive" control nob for adjustments and input.

Both are worthy of consideration.
    Not whining. But that's a popular word to sling around on the web, so I understand. Sheep being what they are. Why would you need power mirrors that fold in? How often would one use that?

Give me a good base car with 'some' gizmos and I'm happy. If people have to swap out rims and tires they don't like and can't get another option for then that's a mark up.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car. Haven't seen the EX in person yet. But the LX is nice. It'd be nice to be able to get the EX without leather and heated and cooled seats or if they offered even a standard sunroof in the LX that would work for me. I don't like the looks of the sonata or I'd buy one of those.

I guess Kia saves money by limiting their options. I think one of the salespeople said Kia is to Hyundai in a similar way as Scion is to Toyota. Makes sense. Great car. But I think car makers are going a bit far adrift with all the nonsense and getting away from the important things. Offer a 10 year warranty you're not going to nitpick the owners about when they try to use it.

We'll see how they hold up. If the past is any indication, they won't. Months are NOTHING in the automotive world. Drive one of these off the lot and you've lost several thousand dollars, heated steering wheel and all.
    One person's junk is another person's treasure. No, Snowallergy, you're not whining. It simply sounds like you haven't done your homework on the Kia brand. The LX might work for you since it has few bells and whistles. Why not test drive one?

BTW, power mirrors are great to have- I use mine weekly at the car wash and if I park in a tight spot. Upgraded rims and tires are a personal choice, not a mark up. Customization doesn't mark up a car. While Hyundai owns Kia, they are 2 different companies; the Scion is a Toyota model.

Kia offers a lot for the price. Why not test drive one before slamming it? Having owned a Kia previously without any problems, Kia has a proven track record of good reliability. Lastly, ALL cars depreciate greatly after purchase. You might want to read some of the articles posted by others on this site for more factual information.
  • I don't understand your issue with additional equipment, especially if it is reliable and provided at no extra cost. You don't have to use features you don't wish to, but having them will if nothing else increase the resale value of your car. As for folding mirrors, I have a relatively narrow two car garage, and I fold the mirrors on one of my vehicles every time I pull in. I had power folding mirrors way back on my 1993 Isuzu Trooper. They never failed to work properly back then, and you'd be surprised how often they were used.

The Optima is getting such great press partially because nothing else in its class is so well equipped for the money. Buy the LX if you want more of a stripped model, and have an aftermarket sunroof installed. They are almost indistinguishable these days from the factory installations.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    Snow, you're a hoot. Giving someone a hard time about the term 'whining', then you go and use 'sheep'. :blush:

Your complaints/concerns/disappointments are generic. You could throw them at just about any vehicle out there.

I'm genuinely confused as to why you would opt for an upscale trim (EX) since you seem to have a distaste for these unnecessary mark-ups (aka options). What does the EX give you that you would want? Maybe you hate automakers bundling options together. Sure, ala carte is nice. Wish the cable company would do that too...

What are the 'important things'? Would you acknowledge that 'important things' mean something entirely different from one person to the next?

People swap out rims and tires for many reasons. We may not agree with those reasons, but is their prerogative. EVERYBODY has hobbies, indulgences, or interests that someone else would think is foolish.

The only relative constant here is that the Kia is CHEAP compared to other new vehicles in the midsize sedan class. Even including all those silly features you scoff at.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    My local newspaper published a very favorable review of the new Optima today. You may have seen it because I'm sure it's syndicated. The seats were the only complaint. Great looking car and the first Hyundai/Kia product I would consider buying. Good to hear there are many fans here.
    There are 57 NTSB complaints about the 2011 kia sorento. Since this car is just now hitting the streets, I think we'll see the same here. No longer interested. It appears the more things change the more they stay the same. 10 years ago when I purchased my camry I was considering a hyundai xb300 (?, something with a name like that). I dodged a bullet then and it appears this time as well. Kia and hyundai are STILL junk after another decade.

One thing I didn't do when first got in my camry back then, I didn't say 'gee this sure could use a heated steering wheel'... The reason I complained about all the junk is you can't get a sunroof without buying all the crap. Basically, it amounts to a 2,000 sunroof. As I said b4 I doubt anyone will take time off from their lives or work to run to the stealership to get their broken heated steering wheel fixed. They'll put it off until something else falls apart. On the upside, that something else will happen sooner rather than later. Enjoy the overpriced junk. It sure looks good. But so did my ex wife.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Optima is a totally different design than the Sorento. How can you project the 57 safety-related complaints from the Sorento to the Optima?

The Camry, and Toyotas in general, have how many NTSB complaints over the past few years? How many recalls? And you say that Kias are junk? Funny.
    Toyota doesn't have a history of making junk. I think in the future we'll see what happened with them to be a blip on their screen. Can't say the same for hyundai/kia. I see tons of old toyotas on the road that are decades old. I can't say the same for this brand. I was hoping that would have changed by now. Doesn't appear to be the case.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f22002f/67
    All I can do is shake my head. You quite obviously have a bias (against the brand, against "stealerships", against options packages, comparing the Optima to the Sportage when the two have very little in common other than the nameplate...whatever) and nothing anyone says or does is going to change your mind. Fine. If we respect your opinion, will you respect ours? (Doubtful) You just sat there and talked about how you see all these old Toyotas and not a make such as Kia. They've barely even been in this country for 10 years, hardly a fair comparison. Although if I may add a true account, one of my best friends has a 1st gen Rio hatchback which, despite her lack of maintenance, continues to run to this day. But of course, this doesn't interest you because you've got your heart set on bashing the brand.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    So you don't like packages. That's a fine statement. However, I can't follow your logic on thinking the current Kia Optima is bad. Frankly, I'm not emotional or loyal to any car brand. I don't like Toyota any more or less today than I did years ago. I've always found them a bit overpriced and always found an alternative thus far. I still may buy one in the future if they produce something that fits my wants at a good price.

All said and done, you can buy a base Kia and install a solid aftermarket sunroof in it if that's all you want. Chances are you will still come out way ahead in money spent then if you tried to get a comparable camry, accord, passat, whatever else.

If you really believe car companies' quality doesn't change (improve and take a hit) from model to model and year to year, you are truly naive.
    Almost as if this latest review was a direct rebuttal to you:

http://auto.ocregister.com/2011/01/21/review-2011-kia-optima-seems-like-cinderel- la/50358/

It’s one thing knowing that the Optima has features aplenty and a robust powertrain to boot, but the question remains, Will buyers of a midsize family sedan want to be associated with a Kia? I think the smart ones will.

Buyers may have found themselves in a similar situation decades ago with then young-to-America automakers named Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and things have worked out pretty well for them. Now, perhaps not too ironically, it is with the likes of the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima that the Optima is competing with.

Kia now appears to be in a similar situation as its Japanese rivals were in the 1980s as Kia Motors America grows its sales and its cars earn consideration as the automaker turns out well-designed, well-made products that offer great value.
  • You sure are a pleasant guy. What turned you so sour on life? BTW, you have no idea whatsoever of how reliable a heated steering wheel might or might not be. Doesn't stop you from ranting about it though. Keep it up. Keeps the thread entertaining.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited January 2011
    I got one for you since you are so convinced that Toyota is so much better. To do a fair comparison I looked up the 2010 Rav4 since the 2010 Sorento was never made and Kia was selling it at least the beginning of 2010. NTSB complaints for the Rav4 were 104!!! Seems the Sorento is a better vehicle if you base your decision on a whole vehicle line on this. By the way the latest CR ranks the Sorento number 1 in the Mid Sized Suv category. Hmm better than the rest. Must mean Kia is making the best vehicles overall. :P
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    edited January 2011
    Toyota has gone downhill of late. No argument there. That doesn't mean I'm going to jump off a cliff and spend 24k for a Kia. :lemon:

I will say (and have said) the optima is one fine looking car. I just don't feel anything's changed when I drive one or hyundai for that matter. We'll see I guess. Using that warranty is a hassle from what I've read. No one ever asked me for any documentation when I went for toyota warranty work. Of course I didn't have to go in but once or twice.

I'm a former ASE certified tech and have a degree in the automotive field. I can feel a cheaply made drive train when I drive one. And that is how I'd describe kia/hyundai. Also toyota's new camry's transmission doesn't feel right either. I just don't get the need for 6 speed transmissions on ANY car. Adds complexity and they all seem to be constantly hunting gears. I wouldn't buy a toyota now either. The falling value of the dollar will limit all of our choices as time goes on.
    edited January 2011
    I can feel a cheaply made drive train when I drive one. And that is how I'd describe kia/hyundai.

WHEN have you test driven a Kia? You stated previously that you haven't. You READ about the Kia warranty being a hassle? LMBO All talk and no action...

As a former and present Optima owner, I used the warranty on my 2004 Kia Optima without a single problem. Documentation was NOT required nor requested from the dealership, either. The dealership repaired it without a hitch.

Snowallergy, you tend to flip/flop when your points are disputed by fact. I read your comments on the Sonata forum where you stated that you want Hyundai/Kia to be successful, but I doubt it. Now, you are uncertain about your adored Toyota. It seems that you really don't like foreign cars; if so, go buy a Ford and be happy. :)

The automotive industry changes to meet the needs/want of its' consumers, not auto mechanics as you should know, so if Kia or Hyundai doesn't float your boat, WHAT CAR DOES?

I think Toyota and Honda are fine autos; I'm a former Camry and present Accord owner too. But I happen to believe, based on actually owning 2 Kias, that Kia is now the standard for automotive reliability, design and affordability. Every dog has his day and Toyota/Honda are old dogs now.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    "I guess Kia saves money by limiting their options. I think one of the salespeople said Kia is to Hyundai in a similar way as Scion is to Toyota. Makes sense. Great car."

- Evidently, by that comment, the saleperson has no idea what he/she was talking about.