Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    maybe this article in Kia Buzz may help
    http://kia-buzz.com/?p=6162
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    I checked it out, thanks. So is a fan for sure. Interesting about the heaters. Let's hope it doesn't have the negative effect of working like that electrical energy like what CFC bulbs put out. If they don't use a transformer starter, then should be OK. So 78 º is their max by looks of things. I have read there is some concern over other more conventionally heated seats getting too hot for disabled passengers that don't have feeling in their lower extremities.

In the comments someone said their Sportage had the same type of seat coolers.

Sam
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Huh, just goes to show it's all subjective I guess. My sister in law drives a 2010 Accord and so does my Dad, I think the Optimas seats feel pretty much identical. Only adjustments I needed to make was the lumbar support thing, again same in both to me.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    USA Today today reviewed the 2011 EX. Generally positive from Mr. Healey, but a couple of comments were of the "wuh??" kind:

Kia tortures the styling a bit much -- that fake vent on the front fender is très yuck -- and the creases are a bit more pronounced than need-be.

What does that mean--"the creases are a bit more pronounced than need-be"? I suppose there don't need to be ANY creases... but then it would look like a Karmann Ghia (at best).

Then there's:

... it would have been nice to also present an oil pressure gauge and one other -- volts or oil temperature.

What mid-sized family sedans have those?? Maybe it's a tribute to the car... Healey forgot he was driving a family sedan that starts under $20k.

But lots of positive comments also. He seemed to like the car overall, as summed up in his close:

Even after some time in pricier, fancier vehicles, jumping back into the Optima never felt like a come-down, always was a pleasant surprise.

I guess that means the Optima has the power to surprise. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2011-03-24-kia-optima-test-dr- ive-healey.htm
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    The last car that I owned that had gages for oil,heat and the charger was a 94 Chrysler Town and Country which was a pretty expensive car.Typically other cars have only the heat gauger.My Prius(2007)doesn't even have that,can you imagine?
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought the Optima SX. I'm ambivalent about the vent myself, some people seem passionate about it either way though heh. A thousand demerits! ;)

I think they feel obligated to point out some negatives in the name of balance.

I'll try and do a personal review after a bit more seat time. Bought it yesterday and so far I'm thrilled with it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    man, I thought you already had that thing a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to hearing your review. So far the new Optima looks great.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Congrats on your new SX. Been following your buying decision and glad you got what you wanted. As far as the fake vent I guess I have to say it would be better left off but it certainly wouldn't any kind of dealbreaker by any means.

The last car I had with full gauge package was a 93 LeSabre with the touring pkg which included the extra gauges. My 2003 Tundra has all four gauges but is obviously not a car. They are nice to have if you know what they really mean. Many people would think the oil pressure gauge is an indication of oil level which would be counteproductive.
    Thanks M6 I appreciate you saying that. The vent is one of those "room for improvement" things on the car for future iterations.
    Some shots of the new car. Yes I got the pizza cutter wheels, specifically wanted them actually. At first I really didn't like them but on the red, they grew on me. Can't say they arent distinctive! ;)

Hopefully these pictures arent too big.

You're welcome. Keep us up to speed so to speak. Interested in how your butt adjusts to those "hard" seats and what kind of fuel economy you get with the turbo and other tidbits of likes and dislikes.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Hey Dash what part of the country do you live? Kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh with the everything built on the side of a hill so it's terraced. Just wondering. My family moved there in 1973 and most of them still live there. My wife is from there as well. Nice car by the way.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Beautiful car! Except for the wheels. :P Why do they remind me of the Hot Wheels cars I played with many, many years ago??

I love the color. I always liked a "cranberry" red.
    m6user: I did a write up of sorts on my initial impressions here:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5241747-Bought-a-2011-Kia-Optima-SX-on- -Friday

more in depth write up on page 2 here:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5241747-Bought-a-2011-Kia-Optima-SX-on- -Friday&p=70750616&viewfull=1#post70750616

mtnman1: I live in NJ, but I did get the car in PA ironically. Pictures are in NJ though =)

backy: lol I hear you on the wheels, I was a hater early on and I know I was kvetching about them here more than once. I agree it looks like Hot Wheels or someone said like a concept car in the 90's. I've embraced that though! They're fun! Funky, and distinctive. So yeah total 180 for me.

I love the color as well, thanks! The blue, while not for me personally, is very striking as well.
    your car is gorgeous and as a driver of a Rally Red Mitsubishi I must say I am a sucker for a shiny red car. Do you find the 2011 Kia Optima's seats hard to sit on for an extendo-period of time? Or even for just an...hour?

Thanks this is my first shiny red car and I'm really loving it. Nope seats are fine, I was concerned about them too because of some reviewers mentioning they were stiff. Drove the car an hour and a half back from the dealer and I was still perfectly comfortable. They are on the firm side, not super plush or anything, but I would not have thought twice about them had I not read those reviews.
    In following this vehicle from the start and reading all the reviews, etc you will find that this so-called seat problem started by the initial reviews on vehicles that were basically pre-production as the vehicle was not available at dealers or to the general public at that time.

It seems to me that Kia took note of these initial comments and took corrective action, which bares this out in actual owners comments when the vehicles started arriving at dealerships.
    from all world-class carmakers, that of rectifying potential problem areas before they might become real problems in production. That's what mockups are for, anyway.

It seems to me that Kia took note of these initial comments and took corrective action, which bares this out in actual owners comments when the vehicles started arriving at dealerships.

Good to hear they fixed what may have needed fixing.

edited April 2011
    Saw my first Optima outside of a dealership here in Columbus on the road. We pulled up next to it at a traffic light. Was an EX in the red like yours. It was beautiful. I really liked the wheels that were on this trim. Wish I was in the market for a new vehicle because the Optima would defintely be on my short list.
    I havent seen many here by me. There is a Black EX here at work but beyond that havent seen them at all really and I've been looking. So many people have asked me about it, just random strangers and guys from work, neighbors etc. I saw a woman right behind me yesterday in my rearview mirror looking down from her SUV at the car and asking the person in the passenger seat "Optima; is that new?".

The car is really good advertising for them. This is similar to what happened with the Sonata I would imagine.
    We have a 2011 Sorento EX V6 and a couple of weeks ago a guy in a Sorento SX was stopped at a light as we pulled up to the intersection on the road to his left. He turned and when he saw us he honked and waved to us like we were in some exclusive Sorento club. I am seeing more and more of them, but not a lot yet. See an awful lot of Santa Fe's nowadays. I imagine you will get a lot of stares. Probably not from Honda owners. I notice they tend to look away because they seem to be very close minded about other brands. Though the Hondas are really some of the most bland cars and suvs on the road. Nothing in their fleet comes close to the Optima in appearance. At least IMHO.
    Probably not from Honda owners. I notice they tend to look away because they seem to be very close minded about other brands. Though the Hondas are really some of the most bland cars and suvs on the road. Nothing in their fleet comes close to the Optima in appearance. At least IMHO.

I can honestly tell you that there has never been a Honda made that I would spend money on and attempt to purchase. Can't stand the bland-dom!

• trainer1366trainer1366 Member Posts: 24
    The red looks great! Wow! Great color choice.
  • mihmih Member Posts: 10
    What is the difference between LX and EX ?
    Yes, I have seen the homepage that lists all the differences in the list.
    But i want to know a compact answer.

Could anyone tell me what is the big difference of EX ? (apart from all small misc. things)

How is EX compared with LX ? or LX+Convenience package ?

I would like to know the overall impression, compact answers... please
    I appreciate it.
    edited April 2011
    Leather and sunroof.
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    I would as well. The seats are one thing I can't get past. It really is a good looking car. An LX wouldn't be bad since I hate all that extra nonsense. The car is fast and supposed to be good on gas. Love to know real world MPG.
    Yea, left handed people really shouldn't buy cars.
    Being able to read lips also helps when you go into dealerships.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    You are right Honda cars are the most bland looking cars on the road. Also, that being said they are among the most reliable, highest resale value on the road. Take $5,000.00 and see what it will buy you in a used Honda.

I own a Honda and am not closed minded when it comes to other makes. The Kia Optima is a beautiful car. However, the "firmness" of the front seats make it a "deal killer" for me. Sit in one of YOUR favorite cars such as the Suzuki Kazashi and compare. Or, even a Toyota Camry, or a Ford Fusion, or even a Chevy Malibu and compare the comfort of the front seats. The Optima is the worse in class.
    LOL! I wondered when you would make a comment.
    edited April 2011
    A another review...

All-New Midsize Sedan's Upscale Interior Impresses Editors

-- Optima lauded for luxurious interior look and feel, along with well-priced packaging options

-- Kia midsize sedan offers the complete package of design, quality, convenience, comfort, safety features and overall value

IRVINE, Calif., April 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Continually praised for its head-turning exterior design, fun-to-drive performance, and long list of standard safety features, the all-new 2011 Kia Optima has been included as part of "Ward's 10 Best Interiors" list. Kia's midsize sedan was picked for being able to connect with midsize buyers in the U.S. with its upscale and aesthetically pleasing interior packaging, features and overall value. This prestigious accolade follows a slew of awards, including earning an overall five-star crash safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), being named a Consumer Guide® Automotive "Best Buy," a "Top Safety Pick" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), an Edmunds' InsideLine.com "Editors' Most Wanted" and "Best New Model" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance.

"This award is a direct reflection of Optima's unbeatable combination of stunning design inside and out, as well as advanced technologies, comfort, convenience and overall value," said Michael Sprague, vice president, marketing & communications, Kia Motors America (KMA). "The Optima introduced stunning new design language to the Kia lineup, which will continue to evolve as Kia maintains its focus on world-class styling while also delivering outstanding performance and fuel efficiency in response to consumers' needs and rising fuel prices."

Ward's editors evaluated a field of 51 vehicles that are either all-new or featured significantly upgraded interiors, ranging from utility vehicles, minivans and small cars to high-end premium sedans. Scores were tallied for each competing vehicle based on materials, ergonomics, safety, the human-machine interface, comfort, fit and finish, overall value and aesthetics, with a final list of 10 winners chosen.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2011-kia-optima-named-to-the-wards-10-be- - st-interiors-list-119592424.html

From Fox News
    I love this review!!!!!! It perfectly summarizes my facination (obsession)with the 2011 Optima.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/04/07/kias-prime-optima/?test=faces.html
    Zero issue with the seats. The power ones are so customizable I cant imagine people having trouble with them unless they like a lot of very soft cushion or something. Like the old Buicks that felt like driving a couch :) Hey that has it's merits! Optima SX seats are comfortable and on the firm side. Feels like the Accord seats to me. No problems.

Gas mileage, well it's been what I'd call decent. Between 20 and 23 mpg on mostly back roads. Engine isnt broken in yet (500 miles so far) and I drive it "spirited" from time to time. I dont use Eco mode, but still not earth shattering MPG. Not bad, but not great. This is the turbo though, might do better with the 2.4.
    For the recent Optima buyers, there's a TSB from KIA on the vehicle pull. Also there have been recalls on some tires as well. YMMV.
    You missed me? So nice to be loved. :blush:

My car pulls to the right, but I thought it was b/c I'm a republican, so I ignored it.
    3 weeks into ownership and still loving the car every time I get in it. Took it on the highway last night in some serious rain and I was struck by how stable I felt compared to my old Jetta. This is mostly a function of the Optima being a bigger car I suppose but it was a nice feeling.

Also in comparison to our 2004 G35 I felt much more planted on the road and not afraid the rear would slip out from under me on a curve.

NAV also performed well but the voice recognition is inferior to my Droid phones.

Overall I'm very pleased.
    was your 2005 G35 RWD?

• jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Went to check it out on the weekend. Gorgeous car, wish I am in the market. Salesperson offered to trade my car in, but it is too early, maybe in a couple of years.
    2 pet peeves. I agree seats are not comfy. and the seat bottoms are short, not enough thigh support. Also I do not like the trunk hinges portruding into the trunk space.
    But if you are comparing to a Honda, Honda seats are just as bad. I have back problems and cannot sit in a Honda for more than one hr drive. Common KIA, better supportive seats and hydraulic trunk hinges and I am in. Hope someone is listening.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    edited April 2011
    It is interesting to see people's priorities.

While I agree, a poor seat is a deal breaker no matter how much the rest of the car entices, but I think there isn't anyone who isn't aware of the technique needed in loading a trunk to make room for exposed hinges. It is really but a small compromise for reduced cost, both to manufacture originally and later on down the road. I have never had a hinge or spring break, but I have had the considerable expense of having to replace the gas charged struts used throughout a vehicle. Many of which are inconsistently strong depending on the temperature out. Even if they work in the extreme cold when new, they often don't once a year or two old. So my point is, I'll take the old type hinges and have them spend the money saved on not short changing me in the seats. Life is full of compromises. But if they double-dip on nickel-counting, (the hinge and an iffy seat) then I consider that an insult to our intelligence and they had better wise up. Some people might consider a 1st model year as a freebie and if they get it right the next year, then they are off the hook, but I must admit that I am not that forgiving with a new generation model as significant as the new Optima is assumed to be for Kia. Hinges get the pass, the seats should be flawless for that price category, and shorted thigh seat bottoms seems to come up in conversation more often lately than in years past.

Sam
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    2 pet peeves. I agree seats are not comfy. and the seat bottoms are short, not enough thigh support.

Keep in mind there are short people. For me, it's just about right. In most medium and full-size cars, the seat bottom is too long for me. I have to put a cushion behind me. That's why I only buy compacts or sub-compacts because of the seats.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    What would really be nice is for manufacturers to offer different sizes of seats, at least for the driver. My ideal seat bottom is 18" front to back. Anything longer, I would have a hard time bending my lower leg to reach the pedals. Why not have the front couple of inches on seats fold down. Then those of you who are bigger can have the front fold up for proper thigh support. When shorter people drive, they can just fold the front down.
    Yah was RWD. I know that's a huge factor in why it felt less stable, just saying it's a nice change to have the power and stability. Of course an AWD G37 would fix that ;)
    Of course an AWD G37 would fix that

And for those of us in climes that are icy and chilly for at least 6 months outta the year it makes all the more sense. Mitsu is going to build a 2013 Lancer and EVO XI Hybrid in which an option with be S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control). I will pick them up on that option for around here in the northern Idaho panhandle town of Kellogg. It will be a must that I didn't know was going to need to be a must. I could subsist with just FWD like on my Lancer GTS but S-AWC would be well worth it's option package price to get.

confirmed by Kia US:

NEW YORK, April 21, 2011 - Kia Motors today announced plans to expand production at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia (KMMG) with the addition of the critically acclaimed Kia Optima midsize sedan. The West Point, Georgia plant is scheduled to begin producing the 2012 model year Optima in the third quarter of 2011, and KMMG is currently accepting applications for a third wave of hiring to support the increased production. The total number of team members at KMMG is expected to reach nearly 3,000 later this year.
    'Team members' ..? Is that what they're calling people who do drugs on their lunch breaks now? I'd hunt down a K vin #.
    It's only what you would call 3,000 people whom you know nothing about. :confuse: :mad: :sick:
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    snowallergy - making a lame crack about drug use; too funny.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    Can't come quick enough.

There is a backlog of Optima orders in both SKorea and Canada and the US can't get enough to meet demand as well.

Australia has an allotment of one-thousand Optimas for the entire year and the European launch has been pushed back for the 2nd time.
    edited April 2011
    Tell it to Detroit and the state of California and , and ... and... Once americans get their hooks into something good, they grind it to dust. They love bickering and strife more than progress and positive energy. Good luck with an 'american' (small 'a') made anything, as if Kia's didn't have enough strikes against them. :shades:

I'm pullin' for Kia, the U.S. ...eh.. not so much. I think I bailed on that one a while back. Bernanke and gang are in the end game and the rats are eating one another. Kia (IMO) shouldn't further expose itself to 'unrest'.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I may be slow with subtleties (as my wife would say) but I just don't understand the statement:
    "Once americans get their hooks into something good, they grind it to dust."
    Do you mean in the auto industry...or in general? In either case, I'm still not sure what you mean; example?

Good luck with an 'american' (small 'a') made anything
    You mean you don't trust any manufacturing from the USA (capital usa) even if they are foreign owned, like Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, etc; or you just don't trust American companies?
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    snowallergy, you said that -

Bernanke and gang are in the end game and the rats are eating one another.

and you also said that -

Kia (IMO) shouldn't further expose itself to 'unrest'.

What in the world are you talking about? Is this some sort of political conspiracy theory?