Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
These spy-pics have been coming up for several months describing it as either a 2011 or 12 model. I'm suspecting a 2012 about a year from now, unless they do their old trick of keeping things a year old or making two different 2011 models. I imagine the small V-6 will disappear like the Sonata.
Big C pillar, no?

http://hubpages.com/topics/automotive/cars/sedans/322

Comments

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    http://hubpages.com/hub/SPY-SHOTS-20112012-Kia-Optima

Guess I was one level too high when I provided the link on the last post.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Reports say it's due out late this year. If Kia goes on recent history, it will be the 2011.5 Optima. :P
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Hey Backy,how ya doin? I still have my KIA,but recently bought a Prius just in time to hear all about that runaway acceleration.Perfect timing huh? My KIA has just over 36K on it and still runs like a Swiss watch.Great little car.
  • cars4mikecars4mike Member Posts: 18
    Maybe my eyes are failing me, but from the side shot it looks like a beefed up Elantra.
    Do you mean the new Elantra? That would be no surprise, as Hyundai/Kia seems to be adopting the "swoopy" profile for all of their sedans, starting with the 2011 Sonata. The Elantra's profile follows this path... as does the Optima, and even the Accent. (I haven't seen pics of the Rio yet, but if it's still based on the Accent then I'd expect it too will have a similar profile.)
    I think the unified front end is giving the new Kias a somewhat more angular look than the equiv. Hyundais. The next gen Sportage is certainly less curvy than the Tucson, for example.

I think HyunKia is doing a far better job than I would have figured at keeping these lines looking distinctive from each other. Ten years ago, I would have thought that the Hyundais were going to look more formal since the Kia's were supposed to be younger/sportier/cheaper. Hasn't really happened that way, on the styling front.

Thanks to them for not repeating the GM badging of identical cars that sunk multiple brands. When Pontiac brought out an identical Aveo, I knew that they hadn't fully learned the lesson. The Accent/Rio are about the last two twins in the line now that they've separated the small SUV's.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2010
  • The 09 Sonata and 09 Optima actually are built on different (though somewhat related) platforms. They may share engines, but they have had different wheelbases, interior dimensions, transmissions, as well as completely different styling. Much more different from one another than say a Taurus and a Lincoln MKS...and few people call them twins (though maybe they should). I think the 2011 Optima will continue that differentiation started with the last generation. Both the new Optima and Sonata are exceptionally styled.
    (Can't reply directly because of the too-large photo above) I am pretty sure the 2009-10 Optima has the same I4 powertrain as the 2009-10 Sonata. Where did you see that they are different?

And I will wager the 2011 Optima will use the GDI I4 and 6AT that Hyundai developed and is using in the Sonata and other applications. Those kinds of components are too expensive to develop to not use as much as possible.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2010
    Can't seem to post the pics here.

Check out this thread on another forum.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4802193&page=4
    Re the wheels... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?
  • backy, if you read my message, you will note I said they shared the same 4 cylinder engine, but not much else. They had different transmissions, different 6 cylinder engines, and were actually in different EPA classes (mid-size and full-size). Of course components are shared, like components are shared between the Ford Taurus and Ford Flex, but to call them twins overstates the overlap. Fusion and Milan are twins. Explorer and Mountaineer are twins. The Optima and Sonata have not been twins since about the 2004 model year. And I very much doubt Kia-Hyundai will return to that sort of badge engineering that was the beginning of the Optima.
    edited March 2010
    Same four cylinder engine and transmission for sure (the new cars and the present generation) . I think Backy and I were into a long discussion as to whether the present gen. Optima was a shortened Sonata or a lengthened Elantra. Think the last guess was that it was it's own thing, shared only with the Rondo.

Of course, I'm not even sure what a shared platform is anymore. Obviously lots of engineering must get passed from one model to another but they're probably not the same duplicate car like the Chrysler cloud cars or the Sunfire/Cavalier of the early-mid nineties. Thank God, Hyunkia isn't making those mistakes-- like both lines but they're certainly different. In my case the local Kia dealer is far more likable so would probably continue to go that route.

I certainly didn't see resemblance between the next gen Optima and present Elantra, but I certainly do with the rear end clip in this newest picture. Interesting that to my mind the Optima and Sonata have totally different styling clues in the new car, looking nothing alike, but both have some resemblance to the Elantra.

The new Optima has lots of Saab-hints in it, not sure I like the extra wide c-pillar and I'm still not sure I like the new trends of many manufacturers to make side windows so small.
    I think the EPA cu. ft. differences of the last gen cars were very close as the Optima barely missed being full size and the Sonata barely made it. My wife's Optima is almost as large as my Malibu Maxx in official size but seems much smaller in usable room. I think a lot of the Optima's size is in head room. If the roof clears your head by 2 inches or 5 inches, it makes very little difference in actual usable space-- unless you have a moon roof.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    holy smokes. it looks awesome! man, i think i'm liking more than sonata.
    backy,

yeah, wheels look weird. it's too Golf like. but everything else look like it should compete against maxima and TL. wow. Schreyer strikes again.
    Actually, one of the problems was I could NOT read your entire message at the time I replied because of the large photo that was posted above it. But I am surprised that Hyundai/Kia developed two different 5-speed ATs for use in the 2009-10 Optima and Sonata I4s, considering they used the same engine.

2005 was the last twin year for the Optima/Sonata I think, with the 2006 Optima using the old design (until the 2006.5 redesign), and the Sonata was new for 2006 MY.
    Automotive News is reporting that the Optima will get the 3.3 liter V-6 when it debuts this fall. If so, that represents a complete flip-flop with the Sonata when it comes to performance. Believe it when I see it.

Don't think you can just pull up Automotive News website but the first page of their e-edition shows the best looking picture of the Optima yet. Definitely Saabish.
    If the turbo four in the Sonata has, as rumored, as much or even more power than the 3.3L V6 in the 2010 Sonata, then it won't be a "flip-flop" with the Sonata if the 2011 Optima gets the V6. It will be a differentiator, though--and Hyundai/Kia seems to be doing a good job separating their cars from each other.
    As soon as I posted I remembered the turbo on the Sonata. Comparison will be interesting. Assume the Sonata is too small to take the V6. Think present gen. Optima was limited to the 2.7 V6 because of engine bay size-- right?
    I don't know if the Optima's engine bay was a limitation or not. Actually, the Sonata is too light for a V6, not too small.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    according to kiamedia.com the gas model will have two engines:
    2.4L GDI four-cylinder: 200 hp
    2.0L GDI turbo four-cylinder (SX): 274 hp

also a 2.4L for the hybrid (which won't be available till early 2011)
    That makes a lot more sense than giving it a V6.
    edited April 2010
    this is a quote from "Vision 21" info sheets (issued by Kia) dated April 2010.

"The completely re-engineered version of Kia's popular mid-size sedan will retain the 'Optima' name in all overseas markets while the 'Magentis' name which was used in some countries has been dropped."

This will not affect the US, but in Canada it was called the Magentis.

It also states that it will go on sale at Kia dealerships in the USA and in non-European markets from Fall 2010, whiles sales in Europe will begin in Spring of 2011.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Before this gets buried by other posts regarding the steering, has anyone heard from inside sources or dealers on when the 2.0T will be in the showrooms?

Most online sources are saying "late 2010" or "early fall 2010" or "fall 2010" but no solid dates. I am not that concerned about the price as Hyundais and KIAs must stay price-competitive anyway, but, when are they actually coming?

I searched around and found a couple of news articles (!) on the date:

Turbocharged-Sonata-will-be-built-in-Montgomery

Hyundai-dealers-converge-on-Capital-City

They basically said that the 2.0T will be out "in 6 months" and it has already gone through a dealer inspection.

I hope someone can add to this. I can't wait to get this engine. By the way, I am from the Great White North.
    Just a few weeks ago Kia unveiled the Optima (formerly known as the Magentis in Canada), at the New York International Auto Show. Canadian auto journalists were invited to be the first in the world to drive it at Hyundai-Kia Motor's R&D Center, in Namyang, about an hour-and-a-half outside of Seoul. Kia describes its current-gen mid-sized sedan as "vanilla" a car that didn't live up to perpetual sales slayers like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

The Optima is one of the first Kias to be fashioned with the new signature grille, a look led by Kia's chief design officer Peter Schreyer (previously of Audi TT design fame). Hyundai's comparative design with other carmakers - Kia's parent company's admitted design inspiration for its Veracruz crossover comes from the best-selling Lexus RX - is now trickling down to Kia. From the rear-side profile there are clear Lexus lines, like the sweeping chrome strip that runs above the side windows, and an intake vent near the front wheel is a clear inspiration from BMW. Kia describes the new look as "athletic" and "muscular" and, in person, it lives up to those who favour the looks of a sporty family car.

The test vehicle was fitted with the new 2.4L GDI four-cylinder that makes 200 horsepower (up from 175 hp in the previous car), and a six-speed automatic transmission. The new engine offers up more power, and less thirst for fuel (Kia's early mileage numbers are 24 mpg [11.8 L/100 km] in the city; 35 [8.1 L/100 km] on the highway). The Optima's new 2.4L engine feels responsive and quickly gets the car up to 100 km/h on the proving ground's straightway. Kia will also offer a 2.0L GDI Turbo that makes 274 hp; while a 2.4L hybrid, Kia's first electric-gas car in North America, will arrive next year.

In the driver's seat, the design is easily laid out to reach dials and controls, and the look is clean and modern - a look Kia hopes will appeal to men in their 30s and 40s. The quality of materials have a nice feel, and there are features available that usually come on more-expensive cars including paddle-shifters behind the steering wheel, a panoramic sunroof and an adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support. The Optima will also be available with the UVO infotainment system that was developed with Microsoft. The car will go on sale early spring of next year.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    "The car will go on sale early spring of next year. "

Hmm I hope I can hold out that long. I like this car on paper.

"Kia describes the new look as "athletic" and "muscular" and, in person, it lives up to those who favour the looks of a sporty family car. "

Good to read. I think athletic and muscular fits.

"a look Kia hopes will appeal to men in their 30s and 40s."

I'm in my 30's and interested.

"Kia will also offer a 2.0L GDI Turbo that makes 274 hp"

Doh, I guess I'd have to wait over a year to see this.
    not sure on the accuracy of the launch dates from the MSN article because according to Michael Sprague VP of Marketing for the US, is saying its a 2011 model not a 2012 and available later this year with the turbo to follow a few months later. Only time will tell, but will keep track and report as things change.
  • The 2011 Optima will be available in the US this fall. It is the turbo that may come later, although it may be here also before next spring.
    Yeah in doing a bit more searching most sites are saying this Fall. I hope the turbo is available then or soon thereafter as well. Not that I'd definitively go that route but it's good to have as many options as possible.

Is there any reason to believe this car wouldnt get as rated as highly as the Sonata? Same engine and underpinnings right?
    Same engine. Not sure about the platform. They are different in the present generation car. The Optima is neither Sonata nor Elantra, although with front struts, closer to the Elantra.
    Since the 2011 Optima will be built on the same line as the 2011 Sonata, why wouldn't the Optima get the turbo 4 at the same time the Sonata does, i.e. by the end of this year?
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    National Post article

Looks like I will have to hope for the 2.0T to come out for the Sonata in 2010 then...sigh. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2010
    Perhaps you are Canadian and release plans are different there? In the US, the 2011 Optima will be out this fall, and the turbo engine will be available. It is the hybrid model that will not be available here until next spring.
    Backy-- I assumed the Optima would be built in Georgia. No?
    I've seen reports that the Optima will join the Sonata in Alabama, and the new Santa Fe will be made alongside the Sorento in Kia's US plant. I haven't seen an official word on that, but it makes a lot of sense.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    You are quite right. It does make a lot of sense. If I remember correctly, I have red somewhere official Kia statement in this matter.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    If the reports are true that the new Elantra will be built in Alabama, not much room left for the Optima in Georgia.
    Yeah, something's got to give someplace, e.g. expand the Alabama plant so it can build Sonatas, Optimas, and Elantras. That would take quite an increase from the present 300k units (per year) capacity, given the Sonata alone is selling at a rate of over 200k a year in the US and that's w/o the turbo, hybrid, and coupe models.
    not exactly, 200k with the Santa Fe. For the 2009 US calendar year they sold 120,028 Sonata's and 80,343 Santa Fe's.
    Capacity at Birmingham is 300,000 units. But they haven't ramped it up that high. Yet. With Sonatas now selling at an annual rate of about 220,000, they would not be able to satisfy demand for the Sonata, Optima, and Elantra just with the Birmingham plant.

The Hyundai and Kia plants each have the capacity to build 300,000 vehicles annually, so both have room for additional models.

Hyundai, which started production in Montgomery in 2005, has yet to reach that capacity, peaking at around 250,000 in 2007.

http://blog.al.com/assembly-lines/2010/03/post_26.html
    That's what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0zVP-DkOE

New Kia 2011 Commercial

Plus Turbo
    Minus Rims
    according to KIA Buzz with regards to the availability of the Optima to US and Canada and if the features shown in Korea will be available. This was there reply:

The Optima will be available in Canada and US in early 2011. Not all the features shown in the video will be available for the North American market, the two features that will be unavailable are the LED position lamp and the static bending light (aka cornering lamp). The good news, though, is that your market will get other features not mentioned in the video, like a stronger powertrain!
    according to there production figures, they must be making the change over to the all new Optima at the plant, because in April they built 4,403 units for export but in May only 259, so something is happening.
    edited June 2010
    plant produced over 28,000 sonata/santa fes in both april and may. and their goal is to make 32k in June. so i guess they can easily work over time to build 350k. it's kinda like how Big house's capacity is 107k, but our record is over 111k. :)

it will be interesting to see how hyundai deals with increasing demand. maybe build 260-270k sonatas and build 70-80k elantra a year? i expect elantra to sell 200k, so maybe the rest of elantra could come from different plant? and maybe hyundai could sell 300k sonatas next year. I think hybrid will sell alot without eating i4 sales. it looks different, has great mileage and it is poised to take over the midsize hybrid market IMO. and 300k a year means, Sonata has a legit shot at being #1 seller in the U.S :)
    I wonder if the quality will hold up when the factory is in "overtime" mode. I hope they don't start cutting corners, as another large automaker has been doing of late, with disastrous results. Maybe they have taken steps to increase capacity without affecting quality.

It looks like Hyundai might have to source some Sonatas from overseas to keep up with demand, the way things are going. Especially when the hybrid, coupe, and wagon come online. And I expect the next Elantra to be a big seller also, based on what I know about it. I think Hyundai will need to expand the Alabama plant or build another plant in the US before long.
    Looks great, cant wait for this car. I really hope those arent the rims you're forced to get on the SX.