Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Traction Control

jrainjrain Member Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in Toyota
I have owned a 2007 Sienna since new. Since the car was new, it seems like the traction control does nothing. I asked the dealer on many occasions if it is "normal" to be able to burn rubber from a stop on dry pavement. They said it was normal, it only kicks in when the van is moving at a "certain" speed. This van is extremely powerful, I understand that, but shouldn't the traction control operate from a full stop? Please respond if any of you have had this issue. Winter driving is hazardous in this vehicle!

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I also have an 07 Sienna and mine is just the opposite - the T/C is hyper-active and interferes too often, in my opinion. With even light snow on my driveway it stops me from climbing up a relatively mild slope.

There is an off button by your left knee - is that button on or off?
  • Options
    It is definitely ON. When it is off the TRAC OFF light is on.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound normal to me at all, at least from what I've observed.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    On a FWD or F/awd vehicle TC is designed to be HYPER-SENSITIVE...!

Something is amiss.
  • Options
    From what I have researched, it is supposed to have all speed traction control. On my vehicle, it does not seem to kick in until the car (or wheels) are going over about 10mph. Anyone else with this issue? The attitude I have gotten fron the dealer in the past was much less than helpful. Maybe this huge recall and the reality that Toyotas are not immune to defects will help.
  • Options
    Mine kicks in even at 0mph.

At times I'm trying to get up my snowy/slippery driveway and it gets in the way and keeps me from moving at all.
  • Options
    backwoodsbackwoods Member Posts: 12
    If you start to slide as in turning a corner, you will see the dash light flash and a beeping sound. Basely it applies brake to the wheel which is spinning, excessively. I drive in slippery conditions often and the system diffidently does its job if your sliding sideways. Will assist if only one wheel starts to spin, also.

If your in conditions, as in stuck, which will cause the front wheels to spin, quickly turn the unit OFF. The wheel spinning will get some brake applied, when the other starts spinning again brake is applied. The application between the two wheels will lock up the wheels, the brakes don't release themselves quick enough to counter this condition.

My vehicle was relatively new I got stuck is some snow, because I didn't turn the unit off, I made my condition much worst. Especially if you need to rock the vehicle back and forth it will lock up wheels to where the engine wont even be able to turn them. Finally got out the manual and figured out what was going on.
  • Options
    Backwoods----what is the build date of your Sienna? Mine is April 2007---wondering if there was a programming change somewhere in the model year.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I wonder if you are confusing VSC, Stability Control, with TC..??

Tc is used to assure that the loss of traction on the front wheels will not be of extended duration, so much so that loss of directional control will result. If you inadvertently use/apply too much engine torque for roadbed conditions then TC will INSTANTLY react by dethrottling the engine and applying braking, HAMMERING the brakes on the pair of wheels wherein one is slipping.

VSC, on the other hand, might be delayed until you get up to some minimum speed wherein YAWING can be more of a threat and/or more easily detected.
  • Options
    Should I ever be able to smoke the tires on dry pavement with the TC on?
  • Options
    backwoodsbackwoods Member Posts: 12
    If your on dry pavement, it may not activate. I suspect there needs to be a large differential in wheel speed to activate, other wise in a sharp turn it would come on. Unless one wheel breaks free, as on very slippery conditions (ice @ snow) it may not activate.
    Mine is a 2004, doubtful there is little difference in programing between all the years.
This discussion has been closed.