Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Tom, im jealous, you getting to go topless and doorless and im still in my grand. We are just about to close on a house next week so im going to start looking hard shortly after. Im really interested in the Unlimited, would like to pick one up used or at least wait for some incentives to be placed on them. Well take care........Jeff
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yup, it's supplied pre-filled and it can't be bled. (That's why the FSM doesn't go into detail about bleeding it!)

;--)
    Even though I ought to know the safety basics by now, I still manage to poke the end into a rotating fan or pulley now and again!

My advice............ buy two.

:--)
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Tom,

I have to say that I am little jealous myself. The weather in California has been a little unpredictable so I put the hard top back on. I hope to be able to take it off again in a week or two.

I had the soft top on for a while but found using it a little inconvenient. Carrying the windows around in the Jeep is a bother. Plus I put things in the back a lot; with the soft top I have to put things down on the ground and unzip the window. With the hard top I just open the gate and lift the hatch…a one-hand operation.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    It is very nice to have a Jeep that does not have to be driven when the weather is not favorable or is threatening. It is also nice to have a garage to park the Jeep in. Because of these two factors, I can take the top and doors off and leave them off for just about the whole summer. ( Might put them back on for a long trip is all.)

It has worked out real well for me to have the hard top only. I was initially grieving about not getting dual tops, but after getting that little S-10 pickup to be my daily driver, it made hard top only not a problem.

Hurry up and get yerself a Wrangler, Jeff! You are missing out on TONS of fun.

Gman, your day is coming for topless/doorless. Your season out there should be much longer than mine here.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I just bought a used soft top on ebay. It was located in New Jersey and I live in Connecticut.
    That's a 4 hour drive, one way, through NYC and about a million tolls. I must have a severe case of Jeep fever, because the drive didn't bother me a bit. I can't wait to install it, the temp hit 80+ today!

Just felt like sharing with the group.
    -Dan

p.s. I will definitely follow the recent soft top installation tip postings.....thanks
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I just have a hard top also, and I was really surprised by the back of the soft top on the Unlimited. Since I often was traveling to trailheads with a dog, it was easy to just open the tailgate and lift the window. I didn't realize that there was a bar on the soft top back window and you can't just unzip it to load the dog. Is there an easy way to do open up the back or would I have to get the dog to load him/herself from the front doors? (Not that my other half would consider a soft top, but I'm curious).
  • greenjeepgreenjeep Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone. Question: Does anyone know if a larger capacity gas tank can be installed on the new Wranglers? I've got a skid plate over the present 19 gal. tank and I'm wondering if the skid plate would fit over a larger one. I guess it depends on how its shaped. Any ideas or suggestions? This is the only complaint I have about my new Jeep. I was spoiled by my Chevy Tahoe (which has now been handed down to my husband). It seems the frog doesn't have a big enough stomach and he gets hungry way before I am ready to feed him. With gas prices being $1.85 for regular unleaded in my area, I would like to put him on a diet but I'm afraid he would refuse to take me too far.

thanks for the suggestion about using the vents to even out pressure with the soft top on. It really works!
    AFAIK the factory tank is the only one available for the TJ, and there's not really much room for a bigger one anyway. However, I think DC missed an opportunity to fit a bigger one to the new Unlimited. Lots of empty space there, just waiting to be filled!
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    After crawling around the jeep the leak dosen't appear to be coming from the slave cyl. It looks like is is leaking somewhere near the mount that is attached to the exhaust and tranny.

Looks like I get to remove the crossmember and investigate a bit more.

I really appreciate the help and info on the assembly.

Thanks,

david
    Well, that's good news (probably). Trying to identify the fluid will help in finding where it's coming from.

Removing the crossmember is easy. Three bolts on each chassis rail and a few nuts on the transmission mount. Remember to support the engine/bellhousing first though! Use anti-seize on the six bolts that go into the chassis rails, when you replace them. A floor jack is handy but not essential. Incidentally, it's much easier to change the transfer case fluid with the crossmember removed.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Guess there will be some aftermarket tanks. :)

-Paul
  • go_ducksgo_ducks Member Posts: 22
    mac--are you serious about the oil gauges on the newer models? They don't tell you the actual pressure? I don't remember DC advertising that, I wonder why--"New with this year's models! Less effective gauges!"

Are the ones on the older TJs like mine reliable?
    Yes

No

Neither do I (but they wouldn't would they?)

Yes

P.S. Ford have done it for years!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Drive: 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

(and don't ask me to explain the subtitle <g>)

Steve, Host
    I&#146;m not…But…

I was at the Jeep dealer today getting an oil change and was looking at a Liberty Renegade while I waited. You know I would not be embarrassed to be seen driving it. It was loaded and still was priced at $25,710 MSRP (a little over $1,100.00 cheaper then the MSRP of my Wrangler). It had a rugged look with the lights that go across the top. The downside to the one I was looking at is that it was only 2-wheel drive…but for a second vehicle it would work for most people. Me…I thing a 2-wheel Jeep is not a Jeep.

I bet if you look at a Liberty without the leathers seats and the some of the other extras that may not be needed, you could get a 4-wheel driver Liberty for a reasonable price.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Howdy folks!

Well, I am all signed up for the local Jeep Jamboree this coming August. Looking forward to it. In preparation I have bought a warn engine skid (used, and yet to be mounted... apparently some rubi's don't take well to it), have yet to get the steering box skid and am now looking at CBs.

The model that I am interested in is one that seems pretty popular, the Cobra 75 WX ST... but the question is about antennas. I am not sure if I want to advertise the fact that there is something potentially worth stealing and wanted to know about the mobile antennas. There are two models from Cobra - the "Thru-the-Glass" and the "Magnetic" mobile antennas... will they even work? Are they any good? How much better is it to go with a permanently mounted one? In regards to the mobile ones, don't you need to run a coax cable anyway??

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Another option is to buy a magnetic mount with a 2 or 3' stalk. I did this for a cheapo handheld I have and mount the antenna on the cowl between the hood and the dash. Works fine for offroading and can be easily removed to avoid theft. I plan to eventually do a hard mount CB, but the handheld works great and most of the trail rides I go on use FRS now.

-twylie
    twylie, I'd love to go with the FRS, unfortunately it seems that the jamboree folks require a CB. Would one of those magnetic mounts work with the Cobra 75? Doesn't it need to run a coax?

Andrew
    Andrew,

I have the Cobra 75WXST and luv it. I went with a mount that is attached to the spare tire carrier mounting screws and also provides about 1 foot more height to the 4' antenna I use.

As far as a magnetic mount, I did use one for a while until I found a good way to mount something more permanent.The magnetic antenna that I had was a whip style(from the mid 1970's) that has coax attached to it. I would just hook up the CB via the cable and plop it on my hood.. with no regard to tuning the SWR.

Results varied.

I'm not sure but you might want to check Radio Shack as I belive I saw one there.

Good luck,

David
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Unfortunately they were after one group when they designed the Liberty: soccer moms. I agree with you gman, 2-wheel drive shouldn't even be an option on a Jeep!

I'd rather had seen something like the Rescue concept(only smaller). The Rescue looks like a combo of Cherokee and Wrangler. How cool would that have been? Like all the other Jeep concepts, I doubt they'll put the Rescue into production.

Dan
    I agree the Rescue looks like an outstanding idea for a Jeep. I used to own an 85 Cherokee. It was a solid SUV (other then the carburetor). I am not sure if the Rescue will have an option for a diesel engine, but if it does that would be outstanding.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I saw my first Wrangler Unlimited on the road yesterday, all black. It was nice looking. I bet a lift with 32-33" tires on it would make a dramatic difference in the look...
    I noticed a lot of jeeps have this problem, including mine! Just wondering if anybody found a good solution to this other than buying a new set of mirrors.

Thanks, Dan.
    The problem isn't so much with the paint, as the metal alloy that the mirror housing is cast from. It's the oxidation of the housing that lifts the paint off. The only way to repair it with any expectation of longevity is to take it back to bare bright metal, then immediately use a self etch primer. Follow this with a regular primer, lightly sand, then topcoat.

Labor intensive, but probably less than $15 in materials.
    To add to a recent post on a possibly leaky clutch slave cylinder, while it remains true that DC will only supply a complete master/slave combo, Quadratec carry an aftermarket replacement slave cylinder for the AX15 transmission.

I've not used one myself, but wouldn't hesitate to try one if necessary. Here's the link:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T4A432A18
    I have been wondering if there was a better solution than the plastic assembly. I also noticed that Advance Adapters has a replacement master to slave hyd. line. Looks like with your help I have the last piece of the puzzle!!!!

How the heck did you find this at Quad? I have their catalog and have searched their discussion forum(and others) looking for info. to see if this existed.

I'll let you know how the install goes. I am ordering this right as soon as I'm done with this post.

MAC24 I hope I can return the favor someday.

David
    Are you a body man as well as a mechanic?

I have those black corner panels installed on Thelma Jane, and she is so ugly now that she is ashamed to go out in public.

It is AWFUL, no kidding. YUCK! Would gag a maggot! Hideous, grostesque, horrible.

What can I do, Mac? I want those panels to be white, but they are powder coated black. Can you just sand the powder coating to rough it up and then paint over it?

Tom

• zinman61zinman61 Member Posts: 14
    I'm considering a Wrangler as a third car. Probably next year when my daughter begins to drive. I saw the new Unlimited model at the NY car show. It's perfect except for the auto transmission; no manual option. It's the closest Jeep style to the old Commando, which my wife learned to drive on.
    Question is: anyone know if the 2005 Unlimited will come with a manual tranny?
    Beats me, but welcome to the forum. Stick around and make yourself at home. This is a real good place to get info.

Tom

• zinman61zinman61 Member Posts: 14
    tsjay,
    Pretty ironic that i posted right after your wrangler pic. I actually began my Wrangler research at the beginning of this thread. That was when you still had your Pontiac! Still many more to read. Hope to catch up soon. Believe it or not, I'm considering a Wrangler or a Mini Cooper. My wife drives a T&C mini van and I have a Camry. My children are split on the toy car. My daughter votes for the Wrangler and my twin sons want the Mini. We'll see who wins out.
    WRANGLER!

It will be the most fun you've ever had with your clothes on! Nothing comes close to a Jeep for pure F-U-N!

I have owned every type of vehicle out there, and I always got bored with a new vehicle after a few months. Not so with my Thelma Jane!

Take a topless/doorless ride in a Jeep, and you will see what I mean. I get my most enjoyment out of my Jeep now by going off-roading, but Thelma Jane was the most fun vehicle I had ever owned even BEFORE going off-road. Wheelin' just added a whole new dimension to owning a Jeep.

Tom

Tom, you've got a black and white Jeep, with or without the corner panels. White body, black rockers, wheels, flares, bumpers, top.......... and now corners.

Yes, you can sand and paint them, but it rather defeats the purpose. Like the rockers, they're designed to protect the body and allow you to push the envelope. If you just wanted the Jeep to look nice you could have had a conventional repair done on that corner and driven a little more conservatively afterwards (which doesn't really jive with the new front locker!).

However...................... white is the easiest color to match and has virtually no 'depth' to it, so you should be able to replicate a virtual factory finish with 'rattle cans'........... if you really want to!

Personally, I'd use a can of 'satin' or 'semi matte' black to tidy up the new scratches in the corners after a fun day of pushing the limits at Turkey Bay.

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I like the black on white - better than the diamond crome whatever they are corner plates you sometimes see. It looks like what it is - a capable off-roader driven by someone who pushes the limit.

We (well, my other half drove while I rode - didn't think I'm quite safe to drive with what meds I'm taking at the moment) tested the Outback and the Forester. The last time (like 2 years ago?) I looked at them I preferred the Outback, this time the Forester. But I didn't get excited about either one. I'm thinking that it I might as well just get new seats for the Taco and keep it for another couple of years.

If they were to offer an Unlimited in a MT I probably could be talked into changing my mind, though...
    Yeah, I know the color scheme was preserved and all, but I just don't like the looks. There's too much black in one spot, I guess.

I'm with ya on the matte or flat black, Mac. I thought that would be the way they were, not shiny like they are. Maybe I would be better satisfied if they were matte.

I guess I'll hold off for a while, but I almost know that I would be happier if they were white.

The option of body work and repainting wouldn't have made sense, cause I know there would be future damage. Those panels are just what I need, but they would look better white, I think.

Tom

Looks just fine Tom, although I agree matte might be nicer... Still, you could always go with a zebra scheme! ;-)

Andrew
  • gretagreta Member Posts: 23
    Greetings! I'm wondering if anyone can assist, or reassure me about the noise I sometime hear with my new 2004 Wrangler. It's a slight "Knocking Sound," you know like marbles rattling under the hood. It's a Manual Transmission, and I've been driving a Stick Shift for 40 years (never having any problems w/ my competence to shift proficiently.) This vehicle only has 3800 miles on it. I know that 86 Octane is the preferred gas and the Dealer tested it with a Computer gadget that showed no Spark Plugs missing, Why would it sound like that? It happens, even when slightly accelerating @ highway speeds in 5th gear? Thanks for any info. on this matter. greta
    Oh, by the way, the 2004 Wrangler Manual even says that occasional Knocking is OK. That doesn't seem right to me? greta
    I would guess it is simply because you are lugging down the engine when trying to accelerate in fifth gear.

Fifth gear is, I believe, .79:1 ratio, or at least it used to be. That is just for maintaing speed on the highway, and level highway at that.

If the only time you hear it is in fifth gear under load, try downshifting to fourth and see if the noise goes away.

Mac, really need you to jump in here! Am I on the right track or not????

Tom

From the description (though it's really hard to diagnose noises over the internet), it does sound like the engine is being lugged in fifth gear, which is really an overdrive.

Filling the tank with the highest grade gas available should confirm it, but 87 octane should be maximum required unless the combustion chambers are badly carboned up (unlikely at 3800 miles). However, a change in driving technique is probably all that's needed........... if you need to accelerate at highway speeds, drop to fourth.

Were you able to ride in your Jeep with the service manager to demonstrate the noise and confirm you were both on the same page?
    Perhaps I may have lead you guys off track, with my mention of 5th gear. Certainly, "lugging down" would create the sound, but, that "light marbles" sound does persist in other gears ranges as well. If anything, I tend to push 'slightly' to the higher end of each of the gears RPM range, (though not past ~ 2800 RPM's); as I love to listen to that sound of the engine, much more than I like to sound of the radio. I find that 'Up Arrow Idiot Light,' on the dash, which suggests when to shift, to be awkwardly annoying and doesn't correspond to the amount of torque(?) one wants to continue to apply, as one goes though the gears. I'd love to understand the ideal RPM range to be in for every situation, in each gear. It seems like the engine is 'kind of content' around 1500-1800 RPM's, but it is certainly different than my '95, 6-cylinder, Toyota T-100. Anyway, I hope that gives you more to chew on, as you ponder this question about the slight sound of spark knock, which the manual says is not damaging to the engine? Thanks, greta
    Tom,

The color scheme does not look bad at all. The coroner panels definitely need to be matted. I think flat would be too much in the other direction though.

However, now I think the rear bumper needs to upgraded to something a little meatier. The corner panels give Thelma Jane a stronger look, which the original bumpers do not exhibitwhen next to them.

Glen
    Thanks.

I don't know what I will do. For the time being, I will just live with the situation.

You're right about my needing a beefier rear bumper, so maybe that will be my next mod. I could then reassess the looks of those panels.

Oh, guess I need a little clarification between matte and flat. Is matte just the "texture?" Is it just a rough surface as opposed to a smooth surface?

Tom

When I am thinking of a matted finish I am thinking semi gloss. I could be wrong in my terminology, and it may be a textured surface but most people I know call a semi gloss finish &#147;matted.&#148; I think it&#146;s because when you look close you can see flat and glossy areas matted together (but I am making it up as I go).

Glen
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    This is a picture of a bumper I bought used and cleaned up/resprayed. I used a "satin" finish paint. It's between a semi-gloss and a flat. Has a nice look to it without being too "bling". $3 a can at the Home Depot.

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/satinblack.jpg

-twylie
    I miss the posts of our old buddy, Pete. Pete, are ya out there??? What's up? Looks like the last time you posted was Dec.26th!

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Pete? His email is private.

Steve or Tidester, could you guys email him and tell him the old Tomster misses him? Tell him to email me. My email is public.

Tom

Isn't that rolling marbles sound why they nicknamed the tranny the box o' rocks? As far as I know, that noise is fairly standard for this transmission - or am I confusing this with the AX-15??

Andrew
    Flat or matte = no gloss (like a chalk board).

Satin or semi matte = a sheen, like satin.
    Pinking, pre-ignition, pinging, knock, whatever you like to call it, will cause damage if allowed to happen to excess. However, it is a normal part of the ignition process at times. Some engines (not Jeep) have a knock sensor, which retards the timing when it detects pre-ignition. As the manual says, a little is acceptable, and the 4.0 does have a reputation for a very long life.

Next, you can't over rev the 4.0. There's a rev limiter built in........ try it and see. Certainly, 2800 rpm is nowhere near red-line. Past 1500 rpm the torque curve is practically flat until around 4000 rpm. Experiment a little, the 'upshift' light is for economy and environmental purposes only.

Finally, while the NV3500 transmission has a reputation for noise, this is predominantly noticeable at idle while unloaded.