Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sales Office Ambiance and Decor-Does it help make the sale?

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
I've been in a few sales office/cubicles that resemble a prison cell (sans the latrine); plain gray walls, metal desk, hard straight-back chairs. Does a more plush environment make an easier sale? Or is the customer only interested in "the bottom line", no frills necessary?

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Whenever I'm in a bare-bones cubicle I know that it is going to be a long process because that person doesn't make any decisions. There won't be a bottom line without several trips back and forth or the sales manager finally coming to join us.

When I'm in an office with family pictures, sales awards, and other personal stuff I feel that at least I have a chance to make a deal with that person. It's so much easier IMHO.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Cubicle?

That's generous based on what I've seen lately ... just tables and chairs in the showroom, with no privacy at all.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    the salesman with the most repeat customers from the sticks would include several different bottles of booze in his desk. Loggers, chocker setters, whistle punks, truck drivers, & trainmen would buy from Bill, and often. :):)
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Our three main offices for the managers have pictures from the history of the dealership. Pictures going back to the 1920s up through the 70s. There are also pictures of the Owners and their family.
  • 67896789 Member Posts: 5
    What does a customer want to see or have available in a brand new, wet behind the ears sales person's office? What kinds of books or magazines would you enjoy browsing in office of sales guy while you wait for him to do his part? What kind of posters would you prefer seeing in office? Do you prefer posters of just the carmaker's lineup? Do you prefer art posters having nothing to do with cars? Or posters showing something in between like cars within art posters? Would wireless access to internet via a new Dell laptop be pleasing to the customer? If the dealership soda machine had only Coke, Diet Coke, Dr. Pepper, bottled water and Mountain Dew, would you as salesperson expand the beverage lineup merely by keeping a dozen cans of beverages in desk drawer in office? Would you want single serving snacks like dried fruit, Goldfish, wheat thins, cookies?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    For the kind of cars I buy there is no need for anything fancy. I'm there to buy a car not rent an apartment. The last car dealership I bought from had picnic tables in the customer waiting area.

I supose it would depend on the car I was buying. If I was shopping for a BMW or a Caddie and there were cockroaches running around I would think something was wrong. On the other hand if there solid gold picture frames and silk curtains at the Kia dealer I would wonder what kind of deal I would get.

As the car sales folks like to say--Nothing is free.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Cubicle?

That's generous based on what I've seen lately ... just tables and chairs in the showroom, with no privacy at all.

I've had one negotiatiion session in a communal office, one in a cubicle and one with just tables and chairs in the showroom. The table and chairs(cheap plastic ones at that), in an open showroom, left a lot to be desired. I don't like other people eaves dropping on my business, which is what I usually did....very interesting to hear amatuers in action. :surprise:

I would think a salesman is more likely to make a "borderline"sale in a neat cozy office, out of sight of the showroom door exit.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Back when I was a salesperson in the early 90's my office was a little dated (picture the 70's look) but I always kept the overhead lights off and used a table lamp on my desk. The kind you would find in your living room. The other salespeople ribbed me about it but it made the office a little warmer and customers seemed to prefer it to the typical "closing booth Minimalist look"....I have no idea if it ever influenced any sales but customers did remember the guy in the office with the lamp.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    I have never been one to have plaques, certificates, and awards on my walls. The reason being is I always thought that a person looked silly when they had all there awards and training hanging behind them and then a customer would say, whats my payment? And they reply I don't know. lol
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Long time ago (1987) I had t o get a car in a hurry. I go to the then local Chevy dealer and they had an 85 Sentra that did exactly what I needed at the time. My salesman had this "gee, I have to check" thing going and while very nice gave one every reason to believe he was new at this.

By the time we actually got into his office the deal was mostly done. I look around - he's got sales awards, mementos from going to the Super Bowl more than once for winning sales contests.....

I still get cards from him. If he had what i wanted when I was looking I'd go to him again. Nice guy with a funny act.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I still get cards from him. If he had what i wanted when I was looking I'd go to him again. Nice guy with a funny act.
    And that is why he has all those sales awards.

Following up after 20 plus years is amazing discipline and why he sells a ton of cars.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yes indeed. Last year he sold his 10,00th car. I got a nice little newsletter he put out at the time which included family news and such.

In all the time he's been doing this he's only ever had two employers. That Chevy dealership started slipping (they eventually folded) and when they cut his health insurance he walked next door to the Ford dealer where he's been ever since.

He sold me the Windstall but I don't hold that against him.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I requested, and got, a framed poster (ok, basic frame) right off my salesman's wall.

It showed a big ol' American flag, a few pickups, and right up front a yellow Corvette.

Only had to buy a yellow Corvette to get this.
    So! An update on the decor issue:
    Put three pieces of paper/drawing art from the kids up on the wall, and that is it. No one else at the dealership (including sales managers) is comfortable putting _anything_ up on walls of their offices. The owner "just had it painted." I mean, nothing, nada, not a clock, not a poster, not a framed picture, _nothing_. And the walls are painted a pale green like you'd have seen in metro city hospitals 80 years ago. :lemon:
    I'm going to put on my desk (!) a small, flowering plant. Maybe 12 inches tall. What do you think?
    Regarding "I still get cards from him,"
    are those postcards, and if so, what does he have printed on the postcard? Does he have a photo of a tree or a car or his family? would an email system like Constant Contact be of any comparable to a customer who made a purchase?
This discussion has been closed.