Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    Doesn't bother me. I can especially see it if the material on the rear view mirrors is some sort of easy-clean tougher rubberized stuff (like under the door sills on some cars) since they get the brunt of rocks and bugs. Tougher to rationalize the choice for the rear overhang other than some designer deciding it looks cool. Interesting too, since the trend has been away from the black-out look to more chrome in the last few years.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Any idea when we can see one at the dealer?
  • gosaintsgosaints Member Posts: 18
    Honda says it will be in showrooms this fall. October is probably a safe bet.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Then the new Nissan Quest comes out at the LA Auto Show, and I think Chrysler is updating theirs. Looks like 2011 will be the year of new minivans. The segment is down, but not out.
  • ccone1ccone1 Member Posts: 7
    Yesterday my dealer said Odyssey 2011 in the lot .....second week in August.
  • hitchens97hitchens97 Member Posts: 62
    I need to buy a minivan soon (and the toyota makes my wife sick), so it's either a 2010 Odyseey or a 2011 when it comes out in a couple of months.

I'm leaning towards a 2010 EX-L Nav/Res because
    a) it's probably 5-6K cheaper than a 2011 (which undoubtedly will be sold at MSRP for the first few months),
    b) I always worry about first year models (does Honda have that problem?).
    c) I don't see any step change in performance/functionality.
    d) We only put about 6K a year on our cars so the MPG issue is not so big

I could however be persuaded to wait for a 2011, so am interested in perspectives, particularly people weighing up the same thing.
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    FYI, today's Birmingham News is reporting that a Honda executive said in Michigan yesterday that mass production of the 2011 Odyssey will begin in about four weeks.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Here's the full discussion from Honda's Newsroom:
    http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5568

It's a great read, with a lot of insights on manufacturing.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    That's a great article. It shows how Honda has stayed profitable despite the downturn. They can easily shift production of their small number of models on a only a few common platforms to various sites. All mfg's do this to a certain extent, but Honda's product protfolio is more streamlined than most.

I can't wait to see the new Odyssey.

I saw a new Sienna. ho, hum. Nothing special in person. Just as boring as most of their products. I can't imagine that 2.7L dragging around a 4300+lb minivan. Fine in a 3900lb Highlander or 3700lb Venza. But it's a stretch in a big van desigend for 8 passengers.

I figure we'll trade in my wife's Altima for one in 3 years.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I find it unlikely it will have an AWD option.

I could see however AWD on a hybrid version in the future with individual motors for each of the rear wheels. Although typically Hybrids have a single electric drive and motor to save costs. Although as a traction aide at low speeds, you'd only need a a small motor with 5HP at most.
  • george1942george1942 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    It seems that the captains chairs on 2011 odyssey can no longer be placed together. At least it looks that way from viewing the moving-photos on honda website, and they are not showing it placed next to each other. Can someone verify this?
    Thanks
  • george1942george1942 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Does the 2011 Odyssey have timing belt or chain?
  • alan_calan_c Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 1999 Honda Odyssey new (the first year of the "big Odyssey"). I thought the first-year issue was a non-issue for Honda.

Wrong - I had six months of pain with the power sliding doors and various other glitches. Tranny went at 60k. On the good side, Honda and the dealer stood by the product and worked tirelessly to fix the problems; the tranny was replaced free under an extended warranty on that part.

Bottom line - on a complex vehicle like this, I would wait a year, whether it's a Honda or any other brand.

Also, on a completely subjective point, the 2011 Odyssey is the ugliest car I have seen in a long time (I generally like Hondas and have owned several, BTW). IMHO, it looks like the design team took acid, and it kicked in when they were about two-thirds back from the front bumper. Stated differently, it looks like the front two-thirds of one minivan, was bolted to the rear third of another.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    A weird thing about new auto designs is that - at first just about everyone including professional auto writers either have a positive or negative view. After about 6 months the negatives are pretty well replaced with positives. I have not seen the design upclose; just in the pictures. I like it as the front seems more to the design of my 2002. It do not particularly like the 2005-2010 fronts. A 6 speed auotmatic should fix the tranny problems. Honda's Odyssey transmiision is really a computer controlled manual transmission.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Your tranny comment is valid only for touring and touring plus. Lesser models have 5 speed tranny and not 6 speed. Yet another bait and switch.
    edited August 2010
    Since they haven't advertised the 2011 Odyssey yet (except on the future vehicles website where transmissions are not mentioned), how could the admittedly poor decision of putting the 6 speed in the touring only be considered bait & switch?
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I mentioned that because details are slowly trickling in through individual dealer sites. Here is one.

http://sanddollarhonda.blogspot.com/2010/08/2011-honda-odyssey-model-colors-and.- html
    And the transmission choices are clearly indicated. How is that bait & switch?
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    Mass production starts tomorrow (Monday), according to The Birmingham News. Here is a link to the story.
    http://blog.al.com/businessnews/201...n_rolls_ou.html
  • joejonesjoejones Member Posts: 1
    How long does it take to go from production to show room? These things roll off the line pretty quickly, right? Dealer is telling me end of October. Can't be right. Torturing myself deciding whether to do 2010 or 2011.
  • adkyadky Member Posts: 5
    I'm curious whether the 2011 will have less headroom than the 2010 in the driver's position, since the vehicle is shorter. This is important as I'm tall (6'5'') and don't fit in all vehicles well. Any thoughts?
  • wasabeewasabee Member Posts: 31
    Did anyone see the latest 2011 Honda Odyssey commercial?

It had a avg joe standing in the grocery parking lot and amazed at the 2011 Honda Odyssey parked in the parking lot. The Odyssey's color was black and I noticed the commercial was trying to hide the "lighting bolt" effect on the Odyssey, also the black color also hides the door frame cut away in the 3rd section of the minivan.

Anyone seen it? And what are your thoughts?
  • gosaintsgosaints Member Posts: 18
    Joe, if I were you, I would go for the 2011 unless you could get at least $6k or more discount off msrp of a 2010. The 2010 will become dated FAST especially now with the new redesign out.
  • npatel99npatel99 Member Posts: 1
    Has pricing been released yet for the differnet 2011 Odyssey models? I'm thinking about getting the 2011 Toyota Sienna LTD, but am waiting to see how the price compares to the Odyssey Touring and Touring Elite.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I always used to wonder why a person concerned about the price would have to have a Touring? I mand, most of the Tourings extras are just fluff and unnecessary stuff a person could easilly live without.

No horse in the race so don't jump down my throat. I retired in May.

I always used to wonder about that, that's all especially when the EXL's and NAVi's are so well equipped.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    isell,
    My guess is the biggest reason is to get the memory seats - resetting is something I hate on driver swaps (frequent with long trips).

P.s. glad you're hanging around here. I have found your posts over the years to be quite reasonable. Enjoy your retirement!
  • noob_to_toyotanoob_to_toyota Member Posts: 7
    I don't know where you live but i just bought a 2010 EX-L with RES for 30,400 OTD in Oklahoma City. This is the lowest i can get as for other dealers the price is 32,500 and don't even want to counter-offered when i offered 30,500. Anyway good luck in your decision. If money is imporatant then go for 2010 and save a few thousands however, if need grabbing right then wait for 2011 in a month or two and wait in line to get one..... :)
  • odydadodydad Member Posts: 8
    30,400 OTD??? That seems to be far to the low side. Are you sure your figure includes all taxes and fees, which is what OTD stands for?

30,400 purchase price seems like a good deal to me. OTD would be a mind boggling deal!
  • noob_to_toyotanoob_to_toyota Member Posts: 7
    30,400 Out of The Door,OTD, is what i paid past Tuesday due to end of the month, atleast taht what the saleman told me anyway. Regardless, i did pay 30,400 OTD for a Honda Odyssey 2010 EX-L with RES with only 17 miles on the odometer... :)
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    "Mind boggling[?]" - no, there's no way to tell without all relevant information as to pricing, trades, financing, taxes, and dealer fees.

Example: in 2005 I once bought a new Odyssey Touring for $34,500 OTD. Amazing, uh? Not at all as there was no sales tax paid due to the fact that 2 vehicles were traded in.
    In Ontario , Canada the 2 vehicles would have to equal to 34,500 paid out otherwise you would need to pay the provincal sales tax on the excess. As of July 1st, 2010 the charge is 13% HST (harmonized sales tax = federal & provincal together). :(
    Someone commented that only the Touring gets the 6-speed. If I was in the market; which I currently not; would want a lower model with a 6-speed. :(
  • cheapreadingcheapreading Member Posts: 32
    As I understand it Honda's media embargo is lifted tomorrow and reviews (plus perhaps formal pricing details from Honda?) will be released. Hoping to decide Odyssey vs. Sienna very soon...
    "Someone commented that only the Touring gets the 6-speed. If I was in the market; which I currently not; would want a lower model with a 6-speed"

It does seem a bit odd that Honda is sticking with a 5 sp in its heavier vehicles like minivans. But then given all the tranny issues you see posted here, do you really want a first year out tranny from Honda?
  • pup975pup975 Member Posts: 13
    I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Anyone know what the exact differences are between the Touring and the Touring Elite? In particular, does the Touring have both the Nav and RES?
  • dodowolfdodowolf Member Posts: 4
    If I got the quote for 2010 EX-L for $28600 + TTL, to buy the equivalent model/trim of 2011, how much more we are looking at here for first couple of months when it is available on market?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    This guy has a good summary of the differences in models.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

MSRP for the 2011 EX-L w/o RES or Nav is $34,450. You should be able to get at least $500 off MSRP in the second month after release, so something around $33,500-$33,900 would be my guess.
    ...but if you wait a year or so you'll get much more off, possibly discounted financing and the initial bugs will be better worked out. Early buyers usually have remorse at trade in or the service department IMO.
  • ccone1ccone1 Member Posts: 7
    THat depends where you live, in San Antonio it consider a low income city and miliary bases, you can get $2K off with 1st year model. In Austin, dealer will sell near MRSP.
    I don't have the prices for the 2011 yet, but in southwestern, Ontario, Canada the 2010 starting prices for the DX are $31,690 and the Touring $49,690. The Odyssey for NA are all buillt in Lincoln, AL. The exchange rate is currently at 97 cents . We are geting hosed. While you can buy in the USA and import you lose warranties and you need upgrades for the Canadian market. :(
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure Honda will price their cars for the high earners in the San Antonio area in the first several months of the new odyssey's release :mad:
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    Hi,

i got email from dealer....
    I have some pricing on the 2011 Odyssey, and the Ex is $31730... MSRP..

almost up by $2500 on 2010 model?

THANKS
    HP
  • lev280lev280 Member Posts: 27
    Is it correct that both LX and EX trims will be devoid of Bluetooth connectivity and USB hookups? If so, I think that's very unfair of Honda to treat these as high end features and take them out of the LX/EX trims for 2011 especially given the fact that Sienna is offering both in the LE trim. I am considering the 2011 Sienna LE vs 2011 Odyssey LX/EX. What other issues factors should I be considering in comparing the two at these trim levels?
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    Just read that there were some new safety additions - what are the new features as far as safety are concerned? I just can't seem to find a major difference between 2010 and 2011?
    edited September 2010
    Your dealer gave you the price including the $780 destination charge. The 2010 EX MSRP + the $780 destination charge is $30,685, so the price difference between the 2010 and the 2011 EX's is $1045.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5636

2011 Honda Odyssey Pricing (n/i $780 destination charge)

Odyssey LX 5-Speed Automatic $27,800 18/27/21
    Odyssey EX 5-Speed Automatic $30,950 18/27/21
    Odyssey EX-L 5-Speed Automatic $34,450 18/27/21
    Odyssey EX-L with RES 5 Speed Automatic $36,050 18/27/21
    Odyssey EX-L with Navi 5-Speed Automatic $36,450 18/27/21
    Odyssey Touring 6-Speed Automatic $40,755 19/28/22
    Odyssey Touring Elite 6-Speed Automatic $43,250 19/28/22
  • me0000me0000 Member Posts: 11
    I have seen different release dates, some citing October and some September 30. Anyone have definitive info?
    Best info I heard was from an 8/31 press release that mentioned them being on showroom floors "in about four weeks", which would imply any day now.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5613
  • muse3muse3 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a call from a Honda Dealer in Northern Virginia that the demo model is now available. I am going to test drive this afternoon.