Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• lev280lev280 Member Posts: 27
    Several news stories have mentioned 9/30 as the delivery date to dealers. however, i suspect it will vary based on the market and the dealers that will get the first set of deliveries on 9/30.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Some stores already have them. It appears that the official release date is 9/30.
  • clermontflclermontfl Member Posts: 108
    Hello All,

Please read the comments on dealer rater.com. Be very weary of the positive information posted on their websites on dealerships. Not all dealerships enroll with deallerrater, and the ones who do--well dealerrater only posts positive reviews of the dealer, they barely show negative comments about peoples experiences. Use caution.
  • larryb5larryb5 Member Posts: 7
    Well, my bubble just burst. My local dealer just called to tell me they
    had two 2011 Odyssey's delivered this morning. I jumped in the car with
    my wife to go down and drive it expecting to find a line in front of me. To
    my surprise there was no-one there but us and the new vehicles were still being prepped, so we did some shopping and came back. We were the first to drive the new Odyssey in Rhinelander, Wi. I was really excited and was pleased to see that the design was actually pretty good. However, when my wife jumped in the front seat for a test drive, her feet didn't touch the floor. We adjusted the seat every way imaginable and her feet were still one inch above the floor.
    She is 5'1" tall. How can anyone design a $38,000 vehicle that can't
    accomodate a 5 ft tall human being? I have had every intention of buying this vehicle since I saw the prototype last spring. And then this happens.
    Good-bye Honda. I guess I can start looking all over again.
  • honda250rhonda250r Member Posts: 8
    It's already for sale in Ohio, florida, and the northwest. You can go to auto trader.com to see where they are available now. Honda is just taking their time getting to all of the states. Its not even on the real web site, just the future cars area still.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Very impressed! Drove a touring in Silver. Only strange thing is that when you remove the 2nd row center seat, the captain chairs do not have armrests on the center portion. Kind of a design flaw when you consider many people buy this vehicle for the captain chairs? Other thank that, car is really nice.
  • fixmixfixmix Member Posts: 11
    I would pay $500 below invoice if I end up buying this car. In this economy paying MSRP is just a rip off when all cars are selling below invoice. The price is sure going to go down. So I suggest folks to just wait a while before jumping on this car.
    ABSOLUTELY...& THAT'S what the dealers favorite word "RIP-OFF.."

Everyone...watch a move called "SUCKERS" they say it comes very close to what really happens at car dealers, plot is no no good, but you get a inside into the back office. You can order it thru blockbuster and netflix
  • danw88danw88 Member Posts: 3
    You're totally right no one should make any profit, especially not an industry that represents over 50% of the retail market. Fictitious movies are a great way to learn about reality.
  • craftlisacraftlisa Member Posts: 2
    I just did a test drive on the new 2011 Odyssey. I was extremely disappointed. Not only is the new minivan UGLY!!! It also has reduced headroom. I am only 5'6" tall and I noticed how much lower the ceiling was. My family is all tall (6'4", 6'1", and 5'10") and I don't think they will be comfortable in this van. The front seat door opening is much lower than on my old 2000 model. I plan to have my husband (6'4") go by and check it out, but I think this vehicle is now out of the running.

We have had a 2000 Odyssey for 11 years (bought fall of 1999) and have loved it. Now our Odyssey has 150,000 miles on it and we need to get a new vehicle (minor issues adding up and sliding doors slowing dying). So we have been waiting for the "new & improved" design. I have to agree with the other man who commented that his bubble was burst. I was ready to walk in and buy another beloved Honda, and this 2011 Odyssey is not it.

I don't know what Honda was thinking with this new model. In their effort to "win over" non-minivan drivers, I think they have lost those of us who were looking for a world class minivan (not a crossover or modified SVU vehicle.)

Oh well, back to the drawing board for me (and apparently for Honda.)

:cry:
    edited September 2010
    Pricing is just atrocious to say the least - I would rather buy a luxury SUV than purchase the 2011 Odyssey. Honda is no where close to calling itself a luxury yet seems like they want to price themselves like a luxury car. I think Sienna sales might rise if dealers dont sell below invoice.
    Every business should make a profit, that's what drives the world, however--the car business has one of the worst reputations for pulling dirty tricks and misleading customers with their BS dealer sticker add-on, $400 for paint protection, give me a break--that's a rip-off, $100 for scotch guard, come on a can of this stuff is $3.00 at Walmart...and the list goes on and on.....if you read the post you didn't read where the movie comes close to the real thing, and by the way --those people in the movie were not cartoons, so real people make movies Fake, or fictiious ones? Guess the salesman at the dealerships really are cartoons...CLOWNS to say the least.
    Dan,

You statistics are way off, in 2008 new car sales only accounted for a fraction of US Retail sales, no where near what you are saying, read the facts at -->> www.census.gov/retail/.
  • mikescmikesc Member Posts: 21
    I just dropped by the dealership and checked out an EX-L and liked what I saw. Van looks better in real life. I wasn't too sure about some of the pics online.Also the headroom is fine. I'm 6'2 195 lbs and without any adjustments to the drivers seat had at least 3 inches to spare. Also I sat in that skinny middle 2nd row seat without any discomfort. We have a 2001 and looking to upgrade. I plan on a test drive tomorrow.
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2010
    about the armrests for second seat, they should have design two removable/detachable inner armrests in case some one wants to remove the center seat for easy access to 3rd row seat, this should only add $100-200 more.
  • ramssaranramssaran Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2010
    I test drove a 2011 model today and I liked it. I should say better than 2010 models. Very good interier.
    I was quoted $42100 out the door. Is it a good price for a Touring model?
  • spookydoospookydoo Member Posts: 2
    I looked at and test drove both the 2011 Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna in the last two days. There is not an easy choice. I've owned a Toyota Sienna 2006 for the past four years and it has been great. We were in a hail storm this Summer that all but destroyed the car, so we need to get a new one. This past Winter we considered getting the Sienna when it came out but the ugly plastic dash really turned us off. So we decided to wait for the 2011 Odyssey. It came out yesterday, and both of these companies have shot themselves in the foot. The interior of the Odyssey is wonderful. However the exterior is awful. The black exterior makes it look like a Hearse. The white exterior makes the black side view mirror and black spoiler stand out (in a bad way). I'm hoping that the right color will make this car look good. But I'm not holding my breath. Toyota blinked with the cheap plastic dash, and all Honda had to do was come up with a nice looking exterior. They didn't have to change the world; just come up with something we wouldn't be embarrassed for our neighbors to see us in. Then they did this. What were they thinking??? What focus group could have possibly created this thing? It's like they got close to the look of the Mercedes R and then said, "Oh no, we're too close. Let's change it up and call it a 'lightning bolt'. We'll tell everyone we actually like it!" The Mercedes R is a good looking vehicle. It ends at that. But it looks good. The Honda is well engineered, but looks do matter. Companies that make vans seem to be embarrassed that they look like vans. I'm not embarrassed. Do you think we would be driving them if we wanted it to look like a Sedan? You can't put a family in a convertible. Note to Honda and Toyota: Consumers will come around and realize the van is a great invention. Don't change it. You can't stuff a family into a small car and travel comfortably. Update the exterior...no problem. But don't ruin it. I know that some things take getting used to. But I don't see it happening with the new Odyssey. I am now giving the 2011 Sienna a second look. Maybe I can live with the cheap dash material. At least my neighbors won't be laughing at me for buying the ugliest van on the market.
  • muse3muse3 Member Posts: 3
    I absolutely agree with the comment on exterior of new Oddyssey. It does look like a hearse....I have been waiting for it for a long but very disappointed/will now look for other options.
    edited October 2010
    Bad price -- ask for 10% discount off MSRP - else walk away - buy an ACURA instead below invoice.
  • poryanporyan Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    My wife and I dropped by the local Honda dealership (Yorba Linda,CA) to look at the new van. Overall, we are impressed and will buy one as soon as its available and they give us a price below MSRP. The salesman stated that they only have 2 in stock and it will be on sale only around Oct 15th

Yes, head room is less but it feels more like a car. The back(referred to as ugly) has a striking resemblance to the rear of the MDX. I think this just takes getting used to just like when the minivans were first launched. The interior of the Touring feels luxurious and spacious, The 2nd row seats 3 adults comfortably unlike the 2010 model.

My wife was dead against minivans but was impressed (not easy). I am too.
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    Had my oil changed at Honda dealer yesterday. They had a 2010 Odyssey on the showroom floor. When I asked about a 2011 they took me to the back, locked lot where they had a couple dozen 2011s and maybe 50-60 2010s. They told me they were selling 2011s only at MSRP.
    IMHO I would wait to buy until I could buy a 2011 that was actually made after the first of the year to allow them to get any glitches out of the system. I could get used to the styling. I noticed none had roof rack rails and was told that would be extra. The Tourings looked "tall" with larger wheels. I'm anxious to hear gas mileage figures from the 6 speed Tourings (I'll be really pleased if many would actually get the 28 MPG).
  • mnajeramnajera Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I were considering a 2010 EX-L w/RES, and were about to pull the trigger at around $30,500, but we decided that we might as well wait an extra few weeks for the 2011. Yesterday evening, we were finally able to look around inside the 2011, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I understand that many might have been turned off by the "lightning bolt", but I actually kind of like it.

The interior is improved. No more "bunched up" leather, which we thought only looked tolerable in black (which required buying a Touring). We've got to make room for two car seats, so being able to spread apart second row seats is a big deal for us.

But, I really, really don't feel like paying MSRP on this, which would be $36,050!

(Just now, as I'm typing this, I got an email quote for $36,050 for the 2011 EX-L w/RES, and $30,837 for the 2010.)

I understand that buying the latest and greatest comes at a cost, but $6k extra for a 2011?
  • ramssaranramssaran Member Posts: 36
    I was quoted Invoice pice plus $1200. I think considering the fact, it is a brand new redesigned model $1200 above the invoice sounds interesting.

What do you all think?

I am sure we could save about 6K on 2010 models.
  • spookydoospookydoo Member Posts: 2
    I am considering getting a custom paint job done on the 2011 Odyssey. Here's my thought: Color key the ugly Black plastic thing on the back of the car (is that a spoiler, overhang or what?). For instance, my wife and I like the white the best so far. The black sideview mirrors and the black plastic spoiler thing in the back really throws the design off. It's like the car wants to be streamlined but the black interruptions keep that from happening. I took a picture of the white yesterday at the dealer and I'm going to photoshop some of the black sections white and see what I like. Maybe Honda should have us--the consumers design this next time. The custom paint job wouldn't be that expensive, but it could be the difference between ugly and sleek.
  • singal3singal3 Member Posts: 6
    I checked out the new Odyssey. Very nice, smooth ride, a lot quieter than the new Sienna.

I was a bit upset that they removed the EX-L with RES/NAV option, seems kind of dumb for anyone to pay $4k for there non wide-screen RES (aka Touring).

I was excited that the the second row can accomodate 3 car seats. That excitement quickly faded when I was told that the only way to access the 3rd row in this configuration, or with 2 carseats in the left and right seats was through the trunk. The Sienna slides farther forward so that you may access the 3rd row. The Odyssey will not allow you to go into the third row if a carseat is installed.

Finally, we were offered $700 over invoice.
  • krollinskrollins Member Posts: 2
    Very interesting. I was just offered MSRP with no discount (which I promptly refused) in San Diego. Can I ask where you were offered $1200 over invoice?
  • krollinskrollins Member Posts: 2
    Where are you located? I'd pay $700 over invoice in a heartbeat. I'm not finding much love from dealers in San Diego yet.
    Chicago, IL
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Its encouraging to hear the new Ody is quiet because noise and rattles are my big problem with the older version I own.

I'm not sure about the looks though, seems to me each gen gets uglier.
  • copper_headcopper_head Member Posts: 5
    I just did a test drive of 2011 EXL this afternoon. On highway around 70mph, engine noise + wind noise are still quite noticable than 2011 sienna.
    break is kind of soft when you push hard but very responsive when pressed lightly.
    cornering is confident and excellent
    internal layout and feel is order of magnitude better than sienna
    handling is even better than the 2010 ody which I test drove last weekend.
    I feel there is a blind spot on the rear right end, can see through 3rd row window.

I guess I will still go with sienna due to the ody trans issue.
  • mnajeramnajera Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the Chicago area as well, but three dealers I've contacted have all quoted me the MSRP. Do you mind if I ask which dealer quoted you $700 over invoice?
    Try Valley Honda ask for there internet price.
  • lalexopouloslalexopoulos Member Posts: 9
    I could not agree with you more! I previewed the 2011 3 weeks ago in Hagerstown Maryland. I leased there before and was thinking we were going to get into the 2011 until I saw it up close and personal and was appalled at what they had done.

For the run of the mill consumer, it may look different, trendy and sleek... I likened it to looking quadriplegic! No offense to the disables, but what were they thinking with all those body lines?! Lighting bolt?! Stick that up your behinds!

They took a lot of the leather trim in the Touring and replaced it with plastic, did you notice that? How about the jacks and receptacle now being out in the open in the 3rd row. If we wanted domestic, we would look to GM!

Rather then do a better job at concealing the door track, they make it bigger! Bolder? How about ignorant! You now have 3 different lines going 3 different directions..... TRAIN WRECK!

How about the nasty line on the hood of the car that runs parallel to the grille 3/4's of the way down?! Someone drop something on the prototype and forget to correct it before agreeing on final design?!

The ONLY thing they did right was to overhaul the center row. But like one other person said, why not offer or just provide 2 arm rests for the people that don't want or are able to remove that middle seat and still seat the captains passengers comfortably with an arm rest on each side? How about at least returning the roof rails?! I thought it was ignorant on the previous design to only provided the rails and not the cross bars, but now they won't put it on at all! Dealer added accessory now. As if the increase in overall price isn't enough!

I said to the Honda rep...."can you imagine going on a road trip with 6 children and wondering where you are going to put all the bags", he said he doesn't want to think about it. I told him this is the problem. They could care less what the end user thinks, feels or experiences, in determining how to appeal to the most demanding of circumstances.

We have 6 children and the only thing wrong with the 2008 we sold and the 2010 we just leased on Friday was the center seat being in a fixed position. I was fortunate to find a custom shop who will now modify that seat and make it recline more and slide forward, allowing greater leg room for the 3 row.

As far as I am concerned, Toyota should duplicate the new Odyssey interior for the 2010 and they will steal the show! Look for an interior refresh in the Sienna for 2012, they are getting rid of the ugly tracks in the floor and will overhaul that nasty center seat.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Would love to know the dealer.
  • heathernjheathernj Member Posts: 24
    And LOVED it....I was trying to decide between the Sienna, Routan and Ody. I am switching from a Lexus SUV because I have two small children now. I thought that I would be buying a Sienna but it felt cheap and I found it loud, and I was not impressed with the acceleration. I really liked the Routan, had good acceleration and nice interior, loved the stow and go, but the 2nd row is too tight in my opinion. Test drove the Ody on Friday, and fell in love. I thought that the acceleration was good, the car was very quiet, interior is beautiful and functional, and overall I like the look of the care. My husband's only comment (he's not loving me getting a minivan!) was that the back end was "fat" and looked a bit odd. Overall the room was great, he is 6'6" and am 6' tall and I had plenty of room in the 3rd row, and great headroom throughout. I have a month and a half left on my current lease so I am hoping that the prices come down a bit but can't wait to get my new Ody soon.
  • mllefkowmllefkow Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2011 Touring. We are located in the DC area. I am curious to know what others in this area have been quoted for a price. I have discussions with a few dealers and it does not appear that any of them are willing to below MSRP - then again I have not sat down with any of them to negotiate a price. Thanks.
    edited October 2010
    I am in the Dallas area and so far only offer is $500 off MSRP for Touring. I think we will start to have to make our own offers to the dealerships and see who bites.
    I want to work up from Invoice price. Touring is $36,904 for invoice, but not sure if I need to factor in Destination charge of $780 too.
  • rich148rich148 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I got an opportunity to look at the new Ody this weekend. Previous Ody owners will notice the side window area is significantly smaller in the new 2011. The front side window is 3 inches shorter than the previous model. The rear roof pillars are similar to the Acura MDX. The view is more restricted when trying to back up vs the 2010. The result is the new 2011 lacks the panoramic view of the outgoing 2010 model.

The new tray between the front seats takes up more space and does not let you store and hide items under the tray. It also does not flip down which eliminates a pass through unless removed.

Sitting in the second row the lower headroom (1.5 inches) gives the impression your in a sedan vs van. The space is more restricted. The view out the front is reduced as the windshield rakes back at more of an angle vs the 2010. Honda is trying to make the van hip. By lowering the roof and raising the belt line Honda introduced more style but sacrificed other attributes.

While sitting in the second row I noticed the smaller roof air vents. The lower roof resulted in designing the vents to be similar to jet airline overhead vents. The new vents are positioned near your head. My concern is to move a similar volume of air as the older model there may be an uncomfortable increase in air flow. I did not drive the new 2011 so I can not confirm if comfort was traded off for the new roof design. In the second row the new full-size middle seat fills up space and contributes to the perception of less space. Others have mentioned the lack of an one armrest with the middle seat up.

Style

The front dash design and use of textured/colored plastics are much better executed in the 2011. The window sill trim is more refined.

The design of the second row seat improves entry to the 3rd row seats. The seat folds down and slides forward easier than the previous model.

The side mirrors are not color keyed to the body color and look better with a darker exterior color. From a style consideration the 2011 sliding door track is unrefined but is less noticeable in a black/dark exterior color.

The new 2011 model has refinements which move the van forward. However, there is no current van in production with the refinement and airy space of the boxy previous generation.

It's still hip to be square.....
  • kat60kat60 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Bought 2011 this weekend for $1000 over invoice on EX. They put in all-weather package with mudflaps, rubber mats as per my deal request.

The car buying service price will be this and should be online to print and prove in next couple of weeks. Participating dealers have likely set these already, so ask if you do not wish to wait. Invoice on the EX is 28,042, MSRP is 30,950. Not including delivery.

Pohanka Honda in Stafford, VA

Last night, a touring left the lot for $100 under MSRP. Now that seems riciculous, and in couple of weeks - when car buying service prices are online for it - should be gone. I guess they really wanted the theatre room on wheels for the house price right now.

Probably could have waited and done a bit better, but drove my 2002 bought in 2001 and it needed brakes, tires, windshield cracked . . . . just wanted this one in this color and went for it. LOVE IT!

BTW the middle console can come out all together for pass through, second row seating is MUCH improved. Headroom is still great for 6'3'' person, and much roomier. . . more leg room. . . much wider. . . better milage without roof rack and lower stance. Luxurious feel, tons of compartments and hoders. Great sliding door button placement so no turning back any more, extra handle to get in. Very sharp IMO.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    edited October 2010
    One of the cool features in the new odyssey will be the built-in music system, where you can upload your own music and store them in vehicle (2GB in lower-end models; 15GB from EX-L and up). I was waiting for something like this since Chrysler introduced this system in their minivans, which I loved so much. It's more convenient than an iPod interface (for me at least) so you don't need to schlep along with you anything on-board.

To my big disappointment, this is what Honda states several times in their press release: "The system will not copy music from burned CDs or from USB flash drives.." I could not believe it! So it will only copy from original CD's! Why did they do this limitation? The Chrysler minivans copies just anything! I think that this (among other design flaws) is killing the whole purpose and idea! OMG! Why do designers always loose their mind when in design process???????
  • wiu_bimmerwiu_bimmer Member Posts: 5
    From the looks of it, the 2011 Odyssey with Nav is now controlled with a dial/buttons instead of a touch screen, is that correct? That would be a big mistake, I've always hated the dial for Navigation in European cars, entering an address is quite an ordeal
    Whomever pays MSRP for a car in crazy in the 1st place.....whomever pays dollars over MSRP is missing their brain....negotiate people......make the salesmen bleed..!!!
    Yes it was touchscreen.
    Quoted $100 over invoice today for any 2011 Odyssey at Honda City Chicago.

Interesting fact:

2010 EXL with Res/Nav: 32.3
    2011 EXL with Nav: 33.9

$1600 premium for new model and less features, I believe the prices will crash harder in time.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    To my big disappointment, this is what Honda states several times in their press release: "The system will not copy music from burned CDs or from USB flash drives.." I could not believe it! So it will only copy from original CD's! Why did they do this limitation?

Probably to protect themselves against possible copyright infringement lawsuits from the recording industry.
  • babsmillerbabsmiller Member Posts: 20
    I get what you're saying but music that is paid for and downloaded to a USB or burnt to a CD is a perfectly legal way to listen to music. Why would they let you listen to music you've burned to a CD in the CD player of the car but not let you store the same music on the hard drive? It doesn't make sense?

On another note, has anyone seen a Touring Elite? There seems to be a delay in dealerships receiving those on the lot. I'm curious how the blind spot sensor works? Is it linked to your turn signal?
  • yiatayiata Member Posts: 1
    I've got to agree with Babs. I don't buy CDs too often any more. Most of my music comes from downloading from Amazon or iTunes. I guess I'm out of luck if I want to transfer any of those tracks.

Pretty ignorant of Honda to have this restriction.
  • rgrobrgrob Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree, this limitation on loading music is actually close to making the HD based sound system a useless feature. I hope this is simply a mistake and not actual fact. The trend in music is quite clear and has been growing every year.... legal sales of digital music (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) has been increasing while sales of physical disks has been decreasing. In a few years, CDs will be as common as vinyl is today. I buy music every month (typically non-DRM from Amazon), but haven't bought a CD in a couple years.

Even companies like Sony, who are notorious for their music rights (after all they are a publisher - Sony Music), sells devices where you can load non-DRM music (http://goo.gl/ftjk).
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited October 2010
    Why would they let you listen to music you've burned to a CD in the CD player of the car but not let you store the same music on the hard drive?

Playing and storing are 2 different things. Also, Honda calls it a CD-Libray, not an MP-3 library.

I'm just tossing thoughts out there - I don't know the real answer.
  • heathernjheathernj Member Posts: 24
    No, it's not a touchscreen. I drove one last Friday, it didn't have Nav but when I asked I was told that it was not. The screen is pretty far from the driver, easily seen, but it would be hard for most people to reach it. I'm a little disappointed that it's not touchscreen, my current SUV has that function and I like it very much.