Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Looks like the end is very near for the TJ. I have been reading quite a bit about it and there is a new article in "Mikes totally free jeep news". it describes the new VJ. its an all new replacement for the wrangler. It will share many components with the liberty. Has the same grill style and apparently a composite roof with removable panels. It will also sport the new 3.7v6. It will have many composite body panels as well. I dont like it. The TJ may become a classic real quick. They have been saying that the new VJ will appear as a mid-2002 replacement or an early 2003 model. Looks like the D in DC is not boding well for the TJ. I may even have to buy a TJ now!
  • pretzeldude66pretzeldude66 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry it took me so long to post. I got my jeep slightly used - 8000 miles. The dealer says that the original owner's wife wanted to have kids so he dropped it for a Grand Cherokee. Im not sure if dealers are that trustworthy, but i havent had a problem yet. I live in Georgia and cant wait for summer to hit for some dropped top fun.

A few months ago my friend had to take his wrangler to get it's exhaust system repaired (a little too much off-roading) and got stuck in some sedan for a few days. But he survived long enough to get his jeep back. So when the time comes, just hang in there, you'll get your Thelma Jane back soon enough!
    -pretzeldude66
  • ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    Benz has made a total mess of Chrysler, so nothing would surprise me. While I do believe it is possible to roll the new into the old and to update the classics without ruining them, it's a tricky process.

Right now, I think Ford is setting the best example in this regard. The 2000 Mustang has a wonderful blend of their "new edge" design, but also mixed in well with some unmistakable styling touches dating all the way back to the '65. The new Thunderbird takes this a big step further. It is significant to note that by the late '80's both of these American icons had been nearly "ruined" by horrible design.

Chrysler pre-Germans did a good job of this too, going first gently with some grille touches and by the end going full-bore with the PT Cruiser. The important lesson from these is that it is possible to remake the classics for modern markets, but you must pay the classics their proper respect, and know when to leave well enough alone. Also, you need a good reason.

The Wrangler is what it is, the original utility vehicle. It is quirky: it handles like a tractor or go-cart, bounces like a horse, leaks, squeaks, groans, and guzzles gas. The 4.0 engine is solid but long in the tooth; an update could be very positive. The handling is an asset to most of its current customers, and not necessarily bad, just something to get used to. The ride could be less bouncy, but that would hurt off-road handling. Still, I'll bet most Jeeps are road cars, and it's easier to make a road-worthy Jeep off-roadable in the aftermarket, than to go the other way around. Squeaks, leaks, and groans can be addressed by better build quality, something that simply should be done.

Many of us like the Jeep because it is almost an anachronism on wheels. Unlike, say, the Mustang, you cannot make the Jeep smoother, quieter, and more practical for the bobos without making it less like a Jeep.

My cynical suspicion is that a bunch of marketing geniuses are looking at the CR-V, Vitara, Rav4 and Sportage and seeing a much bigger market than they have right now. So they will take everything that is distinctive, everything that is Jeep, and remove it. Then when the public gets over these "cute-utes" as it no doubt will sooner or later, Jeep will be left with nothing, because it threw its uniqueness away for a quick buck.

So yes, if these rumors are true, I will certainly be glad to have my TJ. I bought a Wrangler because it wasn't like anything else. It never should be, either.

-cwk.
  • hosstjhosstj Member Posts: 28
    Way to go on the new toy! How about some info on the new Jeep? I am still waiting on Hoss. I hope he caught the train yesterday!
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Some new information has recently come to my attention and I wanted to share it with all of you who are thinking about or have already ordered your new 2001 TJ's. Based on "tonkadave's" and "ckingsbury's" posts above, if you're considering getting a new TJ, you'd better do it in the very near future!!!!!

Here is the information on production at the factory:

Wrangler is running two shifts this week (2/12-2/16).
    Wrangler is down the next two weeks (2/19-3/2).
    Wrangler is up one week (3/5-3/9).
    Wrangler is down two weeks (3/12-3/23).
    That's as far as I know for now.
    Except
    Wrangler is down all of July.
    Wrangler comes back on line in August as one shift (to start production of 2002 TJ's).

I ordered my new 2001 TJ on 2/7. Due to all the idle time DC is implementing at the Wrangler factory as a result of slow sales, my TJ isn't scheduled to be built until the week of 3/5. It will go down the line sometime that week, be inspected the next day and then shipped out soon after. With any luck, I'll have it by mid to late March. Depending on when you ordered, you could be in for a long wait.......and the way things are going, if you're order isn't in by the end of April, you may miss out on the 2001's and be waiting until fall for delivery of a 2002.....

In the meantime, I agree with "tonkadave" and "ckingsbury"....the writing's on the wall...those morons at Benz are going to kill the Jeep and in doing so, another American Icon bites the dust at the hand of another foriegn company that is all to happy to do it!!!!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Thanks for the update. I hope we make the 3/5 week, or else it's April for sure.

-twylie
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    According to the 800 #, my TJ is scheduled to be built the week of 3/5......hopefully yours is too and hopefully DC won't make any more changes until after both our Wranglers are built and shipped. They told me on the 800 # that if it's set to go down the line that week then there's a 99.9% chance it will get done, the day after it's built it gets inspected and then shipped out, so if ours get built the beginning to middle of the week we're ok....I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Last I heard, the TJ will be around for quite a bit longer, albiet with the new 6-cylinder engine. According to the Car Connection, DC has postponed plans for the the new Wrangler with the IFS indefinitely. Check out yourself at

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3117

I have been one of the defenders of DC on this board (when I was posting, which I haven't done much recently) but after reading today on auto.com that $10 billion of Chrysler cash has "vanished" I am starting to wonder myself. I don't care that they canceled plans for a giant Jeep (a stupid and boring concept), but the death of the Chrysler Hemi C is unforgivable and a sign that the company's design team is being killed off, and that is a tragedy. The reason the new Wrangler is being postponed is that they are cutting off $$ to go into new designs. You may think that the current TJ is perfect, but there is room for improvement and they should not let the model run as long as they did the YJ. Sales are slowing down, and I'd rather see a new Wrangler than see it get killed off altogether by neglect (like the Camaro/Firebird will be soon). I also doubt the new Wrangler will look all that much like the concepts you see on the web. Chrysler, at least, always had a knack for surprising you when they unveiled the vehicle.

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Last I heard, the TJ will be around for quite a bit longer, albiet with the new 6-cylinder engine. According to the Car Connection, DC has postponed plans for the the new Wrangler with the IFS indefinitely. Check out yourself at

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3117

I have been one of the defenders of DC on this board (when I was posting, which I haven't done much recently) but after reading today on auto.com that $10 billion of Chrysler cash has "vanished" I am starting to wonder myself. I don't care that they canceled plans for a giant Jeep (a stupid and boring concept), but the death of the Chrysler Hemi C is unforgivable and a sign that the company's design team is being killed off, and that is a tragedy. The reason the new Wrangler is being postponed is that they are cutting off $$ to go into new designs. You may think that the current TJ is perfect, but there is room for improvement and they should not let the model run as long as they did the YJ. Sales are slowing down, and I'd rather see a new Wrangler than see it get killed off altogether by neglect (like the Camaro/Firebird will be soon). I also doubt the new Wrangler will look all that much like the concepts you see on the web. Chrysler, at least, always had a knack for surprising you when they unveiled the vehicle.

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    tjy,
    scheduled build wk of 3/5 as well. Fingers crossed. Feel free to email me at treywylieatyahoodotcom (antispam mode) if you want to trade info off the board. Any other posters are welcome to contact me using the same email.

pretzeldude,
    I think you said you're in ATL as well. If I get some good info on beginner trails in N. GA, I'll let you know.

tsjay,
    Good luck on the HT repaint. I know it will be tough without Thelma Jane (now I get it... T.J.!), but your baby will be perfect again after some (minor) cosmetic surgery.

-twylie
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Check out this petiition. I think it is a good idea and signed.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hds2/petition.html

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b021301.htm

Here is the clip from this link.

Speaking if independent front suspension, I've received tons of letters regarding a recent item in the British car magazine Auto Express. The piece detailed how the next generation Wrangler would be introduced for model year 2002 and that it will have independent suspension and bare a strong resemblance to the Icon concept.

While Auto Express generally does a good job, they're completely off-base on this one.I blame myself. Wether first hand or not, all the information in the story is cribbed from old reports originally published in Buzz Watch. I know because the author repeatedly refers to the truck as the VJ and discusses the fact that it's based on the same platform as the KJ. Neither is true. I had originally heard Buzz that Jeep® planed to base the next Wrangler on the KJ platform I also reported that the new Wrangler platform was designated "VJ."

I did a few columns that mentioned this erroneous information (some of which are still lingering around on the site). I was also under the misguided impression that the Wrangler would debut in 2002. As I always point out (whenever I'm wrong) Buzz is an evolving thing. I'd recommend to any would be authors doing "research" on this site that they check the freshness date of a column before borrowing information.

Daily readers of this column know that the next Wrangler is in-fact called TK. While there had been discussion of putting an IFS on the TK, the brass at DC saw the light and decided that the new truck will NOT have independent front suspension. Instead, It will feature an evolution of the current quadra coil solid axle suspension.

The new Wrangler also won't be out for several years. For 2002 the current Wrangler will get a refresh featuring new bumpers and a new modular top. In 2003 we'll be seeing the new off-road edition. The next Wrangler will be showing up in 2005 as a 2006 model.

pretzeldude66

What did your friend do to the exhaust system? How did it get damaged and what part of the exhaust system was damaged?

hosstj

I am in Houston. Sounds like you have a nice bass boat. I saltwater more than fresh. I went to a company resort place that had a few lakes with bass. You throw a line in and catch one right when hits the water. Nice size fish 3-8pds.

Lots of bigger ones but takes sometime to get them. I caught a ton of fish. It got old and really took the sport out of it. If you took a boat out you wouldn't catch anything. They would hit anything at the doc where I guess they feed the fish.

• tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Texasjeep, just who on this message board are you refering to as "would be author"?
    The post by texasjeep was an article he pulled from a web site,which he posted the address for. I dont think texasjeep was refering to anyone on the board as a would be author. I have read that article earlier today, thats wording from the article.

I hope eveyone that has ordered a Jeep gets them soon. I know how tough it is to wait. Dealer called today left message hoss got on the train yesterday. He said should be about 2 weeks (long pause) "I hope" then hung up. Now after reading they are closing down line on and off, makes me wonder.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I think that they will still be shipping, even when the plant goes down. If I'm not mistaken, they don't get to invoice the dealer until the vehicle ships, so they're not likely to let the finished vehicles sit around very long.

Man, you guys that are waiting for your Jeeps certainly have my sympathy. I know how tough it was on me, and my wait was only three weeks and two days. Now, with the plant shutting down off and on so frequently, you just don't know what to expect.

Tonkadave, I read that article of texasjeep's the same way hosstj does. Those were not the words of texasjeep, but were the words in an article he was quoting. He wasn't refering to anyone in the group, and they weren't even his words.

Good luck to all of you "expectant fathers."

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Friday's Freeways chat is starting in under an hour's time (5-6pm Pacific). If you're new to it, stop by, and have a look see. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Hey, does everyone know that KarenS is trying to set up a weekly chat for us? She is posting in the "Meet the Members" section under the "Jeep Owners Club" group.

The response has been underwhelming! Isn't anyone other than spyrodragon, dragonfly, and yours truly interested in a chat session?

I hope that chat gets off the ground. I think it would be lots of fun.

tsjay

Hey tsjay hows it going? I am glad you reminded me about the chat that Karen was setting up. I think it would be fun. Glad to see so many people getting involved,and getting Jeeps. I was in Dallas in a class today,talking to a man from Denver, He bought a Sport last year. I told him to come join us. He seemed interested. Funny thing he had a picture of it right next to the kids in his wallet.
  • airborne123airborne123 Member Posts: 1
    I really enjoyed my last wrangler and I want to get another one but my parents are close-minded and they say jeeps are unsafe. Can anyone help me with some safety info or insurance info that will help me? Thanks
    josh
    If you will really heed this policy, then you could tell your parents that knowing the limitations of a Jeep, you will keep your speed down and avoid taking corners too fast.

On the other hand, driving a regular car might cause you to not be as careful and give you a false sense of security.

Don't tell them this unless you mean it! I hope you WILL drive your Jeep sensibly and won't get hurt.

I know that I am driving my new Jeep much slower than I used to drive my Grand Prix, and I actually feel that I have less chance of an accident now than I had with the car. I know a Jeep cannot be driven like it was just a regular car, so I adjust my driving accordingly.

BE CAREFUL, WHATEVER YOU DRIVE!

tsjay

• rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Hello again,

I have a new 2001 wrangler sahara with the automatic trans. So far I really like it a lot, but I have a question. I have noticed that when I take off from a stop light that I seem to feel a vibration from the engine as it passes through the 1200rpm range, and then after that it is gone. It's not a real bad vibration but it's noticeable to me. I was wondering if this is normal for the wrangler or if I have a potential problem.
    What a tragedy! What a shock!!

I wasn't an Earnhardt fan, but I liked him and respected him for all that he has accomplished.

My condolences to his family and friends, and to all of you who rooted for him. My daughter was a big Earnhardt fan.

I still can't believe that this has happened!

tsjay
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Wow, what a shock. I guess he's up there racing with Tim Richmond, Davey Allison, Neil Bonnet, Fireball Roberts and all the other drivers that were lost before their time. To think he just ran the 24 hours, IROC, and was so vibrant right before the 500. This one really hurts.
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Since you asked, TS, here it is.

The leak hasn't been solved yet. It's been in the shop 2 times, and I haven't made the 1st payment yet. The first time, they replaced the driver's door seal, which is what I suspected the problem was. That didn't do it. The next time I drove it in the rain, not only were the left side foot wells wet, but so was the cargo area. Of course when I brought it back to the shop, they couldn't duplicate the problem. This only happens when driving on wet roads - the car can sit in a downpour all day and not get wet inside.

The transmission is noisy, as we all know. There's no problem with 1st thru 3rd gear or reverse. I've gotten used to the noise when in neutral with the clutch out, even though there shouldn't be any noise. When upshifting to 4th, if going faster than 30 mph, e.g. when getting on the highway, the transmission 'clunks' when the clutch is let back out. Same thing when going from 4th to 5th above 40 mph. I know there's supposed to be a TSB out for the 2000 5 speed transmission, but haven't seen anything on it yet or heard about a TSB for the 2001 model. I'm going to ask about it when it goes in for the 3000 mile oil change.

The road noise, wind noise, rough ride, and marginal gas mileage are all to be expected with this kind of vehicle. None of that bothers me - I knew I'd be getting all of that with this car. On the good side, it's fun to drive, and it's great in the snow. And I bet I could climb a vertical wall in 1st/4lo.

But I didn't buy a 1945 Willys. For 22 grand, I don't expect my feet to get wet unless I'm driving without the top in the rain, and the transmission shouldn't sound like it's going to fall out.
    tonkadave

As Hosstj and tsjay said those are not my words. I just posted the article on here so you don't have to follow the link.

airborne123

Here is a good article. There were a couple SUVs that scored worse than the wrangler. Others that scored the same that some people consider to be safer. Just remeber all SUVs have a greater risk but that does not mean it will happen. Use common sense and drive safe.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/insure/basics/6291.asp?special=msn

rb123

It is under warranty so it would not hurt to take it in and have them check it.

• spartan9spartan9 Member Posts: 6
    Most of the time when I start going I start out in 2nd gear. I was wondering if it puts more stress on the engine or if there is stress put on clutch? I live in a pretty flat area and starting in 2nd gets me going faster.
  • ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    Driving down the Masspike on Saturday, winds around 30mph, I see what looks like a wave of heavy dust and dirt coming down the highway and curling up and over the jersey barriers like a rip curl. I grit my teeth, and it sounds like someone threw a bag of ball-bearings right at me. Sure enough, the windshield is covered with a thousand tiny little pock-marks.

I'll call my agent on Tuesday to see if my coverage will give me anything, otherwise I'm going to leave it until April when they've stopped putting sand on the roads. It's not too bad to look through, and really only notice when the sun is shining right at you. Man! Pisses me off though, I'd much rather be spending $300+ on a nice bumper instead of a windshield.

-cwk.
  • drumdogdrumdog Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I have a 97 TJ with a factory soft top. And the weather today finally got pleasant after months of snow and sloush. I want to lower my soft top now, but I'm hesitant since I havn't done it before. Is there any type of procedure or things I should know before I attempt to blindly lower it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
  • apinkertonapinkerton Member Posts: 1
    I need to change the belt for my power steering pump and my repair manual doesn't show what bolts I need loosen to take the tension off. In looking at the mounting bolts there doesn't appear to be any that slide like on the alternator. Any suggestions?
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    97 soft tops should be the same as a 2000, so here it goes.
    Unzip the windows and store, you can just roll up the rear window and attatch it up with the snap straps. Next unsnap the windshield lashes, you might not be able to get them all the way out yet. Undo the gutter rails above the doors (pull down then out). Undo the sail flaps on the rear quaterpanels and fold top back... it's that simple! Hope this Helps!
    That's a bummer about your windshield. How about the paint on the front end of your Jeep? Any damge there? Sure hope not.

I touched up Thelma's white spot on her hard top with a magic marker, and it looks a lot better. It will do the job until she goes into the shop two weeks from today.

Sorry about your windshield.

tsjay

Man, I'm sorry to hear that you are still having those problems! A new Jeep should be the source of nothing but pure joy.

Hopefully it will all be taken care of and you can start really enjoying that baby. Keep us up to date, OK?

Thelma got 17.9 MPG when I checked her mileage after filling her up tonight. The previous tank was 19.0 MPG, so I'm a prety happy camper.

Later, gcl98

tsjay
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Yea! The gas tank skid came in today. Painting will come tomorrow and then installing it I guess Thursday, cause I work tomorrow. But, yea!

alee and sparx

http://sparx.muddyyellowjeep.com

• bhowell2bhowell2 Member Posts: 15
    I test drove three 2000's with 4.0 and the auto and felt a viberation in all of them and finally figured it is probley due to the short drive shaft and bad angles on the u joints
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I am looking to add some KC lights to my winshield hinges. Has anyone installed these type of lights? How do the wires get through the body with this type of mount? Any recommendation on the type of lights?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the information, I thought it was most likely normal but I wasn't sure. Did you end up getting a wrangler?
    Is that gas mileage you are getting from mostly city or highway driving?
    I sure did, get one. Mine is a 2000 Sport with 5 speed that I ordered, the wait was about to kill me but I have it now and wouldnt change a thing that I ordered on it.
    Hi RB! My normal driving is mostly highway miles, driving between 60 and 65 MPH.

I live in the country and drive 27 miles each way to work and back. Probably 22 or 23 of those 27 miles is on four lane divided highway (parkways).

Once I get to the city where I work, I have two or three miles of in-town driving, plus a few more in-town miles at lunch time to get to a restaurant.

So, my normal tank of gas is run out at almost pure highway driving conditions, but not as good as a long trip.

It really, really makes a difference when you drive slower (wind resistance is brutal on a Jeep). It has taken me a while to get used to driving in that 60 to 65 MPH range, but I'm comfortable doing so now.

tsjay

Was the vibration you noticed with the automatic wranglers the reason you went with the five speed?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The first Jeep Wrangler Owners club chat is scheduled for Thursday, March 8,
    6:00-7:00 pt/9:00-10:00 et.

As soon as it is available, I will post a link!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    The big reason for me not getting the auto is that it is only a 3 speed. Hopefully they will have a 4 speed auto, most likely it will be offered when they go to the V6 in a few years(rumor).
    I saw something this past summer that bugs the crap out of me, so I gotta ask you experienced Jeepers.

When I was going to Illinois every week to work at our plant up there, there was a Jeep in the neighborhood where my apartment was located.

It was a YJ, and I don't know which model year. The guy that owned it left the top and doors off of it ALL SUMMER, rain or shine!!!!

Doesn't that mess up the interior or screw up any of the instruments and gauges or the radio?

I mean the guy would leave it out all night, even when it was pouring down rain!

Anyone know of someone who does this?

tsjay

RB123:

As for vibrations, the manual tranny should have a shorter drive shaft I think. I don't know I've got an auto and don't notice and vibes out of the normal. I know that the manual tranny with the D44 is the worst because it has the shortest driveshaft. I think that the vibes are just a part of the jeep thing. :)

2001wrangler:
    Light mounts on windshield are one of the best ways to go. you might get a bit of glare off your hood though so be warned. My girlfriend got some KC 150watt daylighters for her jeep and I mounted them to the windshield. I recomend these lights for off-roading only because they are BRIGHT! The best way to do it is to get a Torx head bit and loosen all the windshield bolts, Even the roll bars that attach to the windshield on the inside. Mount the brackets but leave off the bottom (black) bolt that holds the windshield on. Mount the lights, fold the windshield forward and run the wire under the gap that is created then down behind the dash and out the fire wall.

TSJay:
    YJ's are different beasts than TJ's. The interior dash is pretty much very water resistant. Not too many electronics on it, not close to the TJ's. So they can take the rain alot better. the stereo might get messed up but it depends on what you've got. and what's with this 17-19 miles per gallon!!!??? I get about 14 PHhhtt.. I guess that's what you get when you put on about 200 pounds of extra mods!
    I think the difference in your mileage and mine could be in large part due to the driving conditions.

I don't have many short trips in Thelma, and when I am on the highway, I keep her speed down to 60 to 65 MPH.

ALso, the 5-speed gives me an advantage on mileage.

I'm sure you're right about the extra weight too.

tsjay

• pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Hi Guys,

Spryo, just wanted to comment on the roof rack now that I got some miles on it. The wind noise wasn't that bad this weekend on our 100 mile trip to my parents and I kept the speed down to 65 and my mileage was decent at 18. (i have the 4.0.) I'm loving it. Can't wait to buy some lights for it. I have checked out those KC 150watt jobs. They look pretty nice and for about 100 bucks a pair, you can't go wrong. I can't bring myself to buy PIAA's :)

Tsjay: As for the YJ left out in the rain, spryo's got it I think...the dashes were much better for that I think. My friend did the same thing with his and that is what turned me onto jeeps way back when... He would take the top off in the spring and put it back on in the fall when it would get too cold. He was a bit weird and rugged, but that was too cool. You'd see him in goggles and a rain poncho driving down the highway when weather was bad...funny guy.

Take it easy guys,

-pizzadude
    Daaang!! Its 82 degrees out here in West Tx. Midland/Odessa area. I have seen at least 5 jeeps yesterday running around w/no tops. I hope I only have 1 more week to go.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    It is supposed to go below zero (F) here in MA today/tonight!

I would love to take the top off a jeep and ride around soon!

I wish Jeep would come up with waterproof interior you could hose out. Seats, dash, and all.

(who needs a radio in a jeep? doesn't anybody sing or whistle any more?)
    Well, it snowed last night (only a couple of inches, but enough to screw up traffic down here in NC). They didn't cancel my classes today at school but I was only 1 of 2 students there so I got to go home early. I was a little late to class because I decided to do my good deed for the day and help pull out a few hopeless vehicles. The jeep did GREAT. I pointed her where I wanted to go in 4lo and she went there. I must have helped pull out 6 vehicles, 3 with my Jeep. I even helped pull out a SCHOOL BUS! There was a duely with a 12,000lbs winch that we straped to the front and it came right out of the ditch. I was happy to play in it for a while, but it's all melting now so... sort lived fun.
    drumdog
    Jeeps come with a video. I think the little demo in it was good. I don't know if you have that video or not. spyrodragon gave good info. Just take your time and don't force anything. Once you know how, it is easy.

dragonfly03
    What color are you painting the skid? Are you going to match your Jeep color?

tsjay
    I let it rain in my YJ all the time. I usually had a bikini top on though. I will eventually do the same with my TJ. The bikini will keep the rain off the dash. I don't know what I am gonig to do about the cloth seats I have though.