Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    If you plan to keep the car over 100k miles then I would look at a Toyota Sienna.

The Odyssey still has transmission issues specifically the torque converter judder and premature failures. Do a Google search or check other Odyssey club forums.

Also, the VCM system is too complicated and results in vibrations that worsen as the vehicle gets older.

If you trade-in or lease, then the Odyssey is the best van on the market right now.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I don't have a remote starter, and I supposedly had it fixed in late December (reset Battery Management System they said) but it has come back again.

I can say I have been reading this forum and another and I haven't seen anyone actually get stuck here the car wouldn't start....just lots of warning lights. Small piece of mind, I know.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I am perplexed why there are very few buyers for LX trim. If I do a search on this forum, there are hardly any buyers there for LX. Compared to higher trims, one can argue it has decent content overall. And I do have couple of questions about this LX model.

(1) Those few folks who have checked out the LX, does this trim have one armrest on each second row seat or can one expect to get captain chair type setup with armrest on both sides. There are zero LX pictures on honda's website so can't check there.

(2) Could USB interface be bought as an accessory on LX so one can hookup iPod type device?

(3) Could one connect iPod through the aux input jack? If so, would the controls be on the iPod device or the stereo unit?
    A van with hubcaps and no power sliding doors is not that appealing to the masses.

Bargain hunters probably end up with the Toyota Sienna base model. You can grab one of these for $23k! Includes one power sliding door and alloy wheels.
  • queenv1queenv1 Member Posts: 53
    Hi,

I can't remember all the technicalities between the 2 trims but one selling feature for me was the back up camera on the EX. I backed up into a low post with my 1995 Ody and dropped the bumper a few inches and didn't want to do that again in my older age. There were other features too that I liked but can't remember. I'll have to go back and look.

QV
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    You might get real pictures at cars.com where you can see all of the LXs in the US, if the dealers posted pictures. I'd also find a comparison of the two models to see what all you will not have if you buy an LX. I have read that about 70% of Odys sold are EX-L or higher, but we bought an 04 EX then a 2011 EX. We never considered the LX due to the hubcabs and other appearance items that tell the world it is a base model. With the EX, you cannot tell from the outside (other than the sunroof) that it is not an EX-L. So, I'd recommend you go ahead and get the EX, especially if the LX does not have power sliding doors. Just my two cents.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Note that the EX does not have a back up camera, the EX-L is the one with it
    I agree EX has enough upgrades to warrant paying the extra $3k but then once a buyer makes that decision, it is only another $3k to go with EX-L. And then on we go. Honda has done their homework on putting features in these models to move buyers to higher trims. :)

Any pointers on the three questions?
  • aokiaoki Member Posts: 11
    I was having the same wandering issue with my van, the 2011 Touring model with approximately 2000 miles. I checked the tire pressures today and found them to be about 2 psi (cold) below the 35 psi recommended for both front and rears. I pumped all 4 tires up to 35 psi. Amazingly to me, I immediately felt a change. While running errans, I drove on the freeway and on city streets and found the directional stability to feel much better. After putting on around 70 miles, I can say that for my vehicle, the change was dramatic and the wandering was mostly gone. The steering "feel" was still light compared to my previous 05 Odyssey Touring with PAX tires, a good thing, but the handling of the 2011 feels more neutral and agile. Check your pressures and see if you get some improvement.

I too have the distortion in the driver's outside mirror and actually see some in the right side of the front windsheild. Mileage has been great with 27-28 mpg seen on straight freeway driving and 19-21 around town. Yes, I agree with most of the complaints about what Honda has done with the van, including the styling, but after one month with it, I know I bought the right van for me. Even the styling--which almost had me crossing over to the Sienna, is growing on me.

My rants for the record: Making the roof rack and side mouldings extra cost accessories, not including side hazard warning at least as an option, not hiding the too large sliding door hing "groove", no operating rear (not center) windows, very limited transmission gear selection controls, less efficient rear overhead heating/AC vents, and maybe, not including middle row center seat arm rests, HID headlights only on Touring Elite, no remote starting available, and possibly, using cloth rather than vinyl on third row seat backs, and not making 6 speed trannies std (or at least optional) for all models.

Still, the number of improvements since the last "new" 2005 Odyssey came out are impressive. Gone: Adjustable brake and accelerator pedals, covered third row storage bins, lazy susan storage, PAX tires--thankfully, dual glove box, and feeble sounds from audio system equipment.

Just my thoughts FYI
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    As to your questions, I looked at cars.com for you and saw a pitcure of an LX with armrests on the middle row seats. You might want to look for yourself. We have plugged an ipod into the aux and it worked, but it was controlled from the ipod, as I recall. I do not know about usb accessories.
    thanks much for answering those questions. Much appreciated.
  • jdc6jdc6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 EXL model, and a few thoughts for those interested, after 2K miles. First, read the New York Times review, as it seems fair and accurate. Notable pluses: seats all around are quite comfortable, as are the logical placements of all controls. Road cruising is a pleasure, and the engine is reasonably powerful. For us, having the capacity to fit three car seats in the second row was critical (compare the Sienna, which does not allow this), but the lowered height of the roof does make it a bit tricky to lift in the snap in middle seat carrying our infant.

Other minuses, in my mind: cheap plastics for a vehicle costing this much (they are largely the same as the Fit, which we traded in for this, but the Fit cost less than half). The economy is terrible: we have yet to average over 20mpg for a tankful, which frankly should be an embarrassment to Honda; our Prius, after 100k miles, still averages 45mpg. Secondly, and most disappointing, is the steering: road feel is gone. It is akin to driving a '85 LTD. So much for the Odyssey being the driver's minivan -- I suppose their feedback suggested that this is what americans want, but not this one, at any rate. Ah well, it is a minivan, after all. Just don't expect this iteration to be particularly fun to drive; it isn't. Comfortable, useful, and well designed, yes.

I for one thinks it looks better in person than on the page, and we have had many compliments from strangers on the appearance. Go figure.
  • nahhondanahhonda Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced "squeekling" coming from the sliding doors? We have annoying/loud noise coming from both sides - seems associated with weather "rain or snow.
  • meimei2meimei2 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I did notice that in my 2010 Honda Odessey. Gave that report a few days after picking it up (Sept. 2010). But Open Road Honda, Edison NJ said, there is no problem. It is normal. I have to get used to it. But it is really disturbing not to have a quiet cabin. I understand you totally.
    But my biggest concern right now is the problem with filling up the gas. Everytime the gas station fill up the gas tank, the "click" thing from nose nozzle and it will stop filling up, I realized I am not yet totally filled up. Brought this problem to Open Road honda again and again and now service department said, they can't do anything about it. They don't see any problem.
    Based on the manual, total gas capacity is 21 gals. Given a +/- 3 % allowance, it should be +/- 20.4 to 21.6 gals. Last time, I was able to run my car for another 26 miles after the gas light turns on and reach the gas station to totally filled it up. Again, the hose nozzle and it stop at 15.72 gals. According to the Open Road Technician who went with me to fill up the gas during my 2nd visit to Open road, the gas station that I go to doesn't have problem with their hose nozzle (new, actually this gas station just opened 2010) and the facility is normal. Not in anyway, elevated to cause any tilting on the pavement thereby causing the gas tank to be tilted as well. So everything is normal then.

The point is even though the car is not TOTALLY EMPTY WHEN I FILLED IT UP, given 2 gals (light turns on minus 26 more miles driving *16 mpg*)) plus 1/2 gal. allowance after the hose nozzle click (which the technician said should be), the total capacity is still 17.22 - 18.22 gals only as compared to what the Honda claim to be 21 gals.

The worst thing also is that, the meter wouldn't reach the letter "F" on the meter even if I add another half a gallon after the hose nozzle click and stop filling it up.
    18 MPG City actual - over 2 months . Touring model. No real highway mpg yet.
    Bought the same car and color you did - November 2011. Have you had issues with loud rubbing and squeaking noises coming from the sliding doors when moisture is around - rain - snow. Assuming it is the rubber gasket/seals. Live in northeast and when the snow hits the noises are incredible. Not sure if moisture is the problem that seems to be the culprit at this point.

Thanks
  • drivininstyledrivininstyle Member Posts: 14
    I have just experienced the same problem. It now beeps & warns me after I shut the car off, and also, as soon as I open the door handle. The car starts fine, but it continues to "warn" me, and therefore, it worries me!

Anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I do not have a remote starter, and I also unplugged my phone charger, portable navigation, etc. It has been very cold here- down to the teens, so maybe that affected it? I drove it for at least an hour today...and it still warns me.

Help please!
    Bring it back to your dealer. They will test your battery. If it's low they are supposed to change it. If it's not low then off you go until the next warning and until they find the solution to this unexpected problem. One fellow talked about a battery sensor being reset. So perhaps they will do that too.
    I would worry if your battery is low. But you won't know that until you bring it in. And I don't believe that it has anything to do with driving your vehicle. I drive mine over 50 miles a day and my warning still came on so don't believe that bull.
    Well I found this on another forum... so now I feel much better!
    here..http://www.fixya.com/cars/t6897663-just_purchased_2011

It says this...

Comment:
    "After having the Van check and the dealing gave the van a full charge everything was fine for a few days. It is now doing it again. We contacted the dealer and they have contacted Honda. According to my dealer this is a new feature for the 2011 and they are getting a lot of complaints. They said the low battery signal is just an indication the the battery is charging and been monitored. If problem occur with the battery a different warning will come up. They said " If Honda gets enough complaints on this feature Honda will notify the dealers to disable it"
    2011 Touring Elite. After moving down to a Honda because of the great quality hoop la I have heard through the years - I am seeing that the quality is suspect and the vehicles really are not built that well - should have read forum before I bought a $45,000 minivan - I even ordered it and had to wait for it (it is a Honda for crying out load). Bad steering, warning lights for no reason, terribly loud squeaks coming from sliding doors when raining or snowing (moisture on door gaskets rubbing), poor dead foot position, terrible front windshield tint positioning - too low in line of sight and the list just goes on and on. What is next - 1st and last Honda! Lets see if the dealers resale value pitch is true - will be gone in the spring.
    Sounds like a test drive would have saved you this heart ache.
    Better luck next time.
    edited January 2011
    Is this post just for trolling? I cannot believe that you spent $45k without proper research nor a couple of test drives... or may be you have tons of money to waste, if it's that then you are fine, just sell it for $35k in Spring, nothing to lose, $10k is nothing nowadays :D

And yes, you are right, even for the Elite, it is still a Honda, not an Aston Martin
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    Maybe next time sit you should sit in the car before you buy it.
    Amen to that ! No - it is to expand upon the battery light coming on- the doors making such load noises it is impossible to believe they did not discover it during design and test and some real poor design issues. Drive it - try to stretch your left leg out - dead foot pedal placement is atrocious. I did research, as much as you can a new model, and "test" drive a 2011 EX and ordered the Elite - finding out the hard way - Honda is not all that it is cracked up to be quality and design wise. Like you said buy a highline car and not worry.
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2011
    Did anyone notice the first set of crash results for the 2011 Ody. I expected it to do well with the new tests even though they are harder. The ody passed with flying colors, it got a 5 star rating from the NHTSA.

SAFERCAR.GOV

I expect a similar finding from IIHS soon.
    edited January 2011
    The IIHS ones are out as well:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2011-honda-odyssey-receives-iihs-top-safety-ra- - ting-30235.html

The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) has just announced that model year 2011 Honda Odyssey managed to score the maximum rating in the latest crash tests conducted by the institute. The vehicle received a Good rating for protection in front, side and rear-impact crashes, wile roof strength in rollover crashes will be tested later this year.

The Odyssey reacted well to the crashes, with dummy movement well controlled in the frontal impact. "After the dummy moved forward into the frontal airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury," IIHS said in the official results.

Although the driver and the passenger were pretty well protected, there were some forces that could have led to injuries to the lower leg, IIHS said. The vehicle thus earned Good for protection at the level of the head and the chest and acceptable when it comes to feet.
  • pn334pn334 Member Posts: 2
    1 week later - the "Batt Low" has not come on since the first day after the new battery. It did for the first 24h but this may have been because the "new" battery was not fully charged either. I am not convinced it is permanently resolved, but until I see another warning I have to guess that changing the battery fixed the problem. If I see the "Batt Low" warning again I will back to complain.

In other news, our mileage so far is only 13.9 mpg, but we do mostly in-town driving and it's winter.
    I think you were fooled by all the "Honda perfection" hype. Honda's are great cars but as someone said earlier they are not perfect. Not many car companies are "perfect" other than probably Lexus.

If you paid $28k for an EX I think you would be pretty happy with the car. For $45k, a Lexus RX350 would give you quality and luxury that reflects the price point.

A good analogy is the Honda Accord. At the end of the day, a $30k+ Accord EXL V6 is the same car as the $18k LX model. No extra sound deadening, dash material same, etc. You can't expect top-line luxury when the car is based off an entry price point under $20k.
  • patnicpatnic Member Posts: 27
    Currently have a 2003 Ody-EXL (transmission issues - of course) and test drove the 2011. I have never been a fan of buying the first model year of any car, but thought Honda might be different. After all your posts, this just confirms my feeling. They need to work out the bugs before I buy a new Ody.

At this point, thinking of riding my 2003 into the ground. Still ticked off at Honda because of the tranny (although, they did pay 90%) and only GM and Ford in my local area. I honestly have no idea what car I would buy if my van got totalled.
    If you've been happy since 2003, why stop now.

Although I wouldn't worry about getting a 2011....I feel very confident in the build quality of my car. You should remember that most people are out & about DRIVING their trouble-free Hondas. The ones that have problems, are home researching & posting to forums!

Either way, I'm sure you'll make a great decision.
  • ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    Don't forget about the class action lawsuit for their transmissions and the current issues they have with the torque converter judder for which software updates are there to address what appears to be a design flaw.
    Also, besides the transmissions issues, don't forget about the annoying VCM system and it's inherent flaws - motor mounts collapsing, vibrations, etc.
  • joe311joe311 Member Posts: 3
    Hi There!

I considered buying an Odyssey LX but ended up buying an EX.

Following are the few thing made me to go for an EX:
    1) On LX, the sliding door opening from inside is not a happy event.
    2) The LX model doesn't have the Center & Floor Consoles, without which it looks very awkward.
  • joe311joe311 Member Posts: 3
    Bought 2011 Odyssey EX in 2010 late Dec.
    Occasionally, when opening the door and switching off the vehicle after (short or long) drive,
    the waring message: "bATT LOW" "SEE MANUAL" is appearing on the instrument panel.
    The "b" in the message is lower case and the rest upper case.

I took it to the service and they run a diagnostic test, the battery was OK.

Is Honda is serving it's customers uncooked food?.
  • calfamily5calfamily5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if this feature is only factory installed or if a dealer can do it?
    edited February 2011
    Per the Honda website, when you build your own, it says $400 under accessories/ electronic. It also says you need a separate Backup Sensor Attachment. Looks like a dealer add-on, as it says that, prices may vary, and installation cost not included. p.s. I checked my dealer's website, and they charge $415 + $200 for the Backup Sensor Attachment, installed.
    Brought back my 2011 EX for the second time yesterday because the warning kept coming up even after the test showed the battery was A-o.k. and this time they said Honda sent out a bulletin about a software update. So that's what they did but perhaps they just disabled the sensor like a precious post suggested. How would I know the difference? They were going to change the battery when I had emailed them about the problem not being fixed but they dropped that idea and did the software update instead.
    Did you ask them what the "software update" entailed? Maybe it just changes the sensitivity of the sensor, or disables it. I'd be curious to know the details. I have the warning a lot, but now I just ignore it.
  • modoxmodox Member Posts: 2
    For the future - can't seem to find (either in the van, or in the documentation) exactly where the navigation dvd is located in the 2011 Odyssey. Anyone know?
  • odysseybuyer1odysseybuyer1 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Odyssey comes with Brake override technology?
  • nomorehondas4nomorehondas4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Odyssey and have had it to the dealer 3 times for the "low batt" signal. The dealership said that Honda has come up with a new charging mechanism that requires the car be run for longer trips to charge the battery fully. So if you only go for 5 or 10 minute drives, this warning will display. I have contacted Honda corporate headquarters to complain and been told that there is nothing they can do until they hear from more owners. The dealership has recharged and replaced my battery, yet the message still exist. I STRONGLY suggest that anyone experiencing this problem call Honda and complain so a fix is created.
  • aokiaoki Member Posts: 11
    My 2011 Touring with 2500 miles has a couple unusal noises and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed similar sounds. One occurs when the car is parked and comes from inside the center section of the dash and occurs generally when the door is opened from either the inside or outside of the car. It's a vibration/buzzy type of sound and cycles once or sometimes twice and lasts for about 1/2 second. Almost sounds a little rachetty too.

The other sound seems to come from the engine compartment and has a light "pinging" metallic sound that's similar to the noise made when an engine pings from using low octane gas when premium is required. It does occur most noticeably under acceleration or when under load. Tried premium gas but dfidn't notice a change.

I plan to have both noises checked at Honda when I take the car in for my first oil change. Take note DIYers, only Honda seems to have the 0W20 oil that the new 2011 engine requires and here in N. CA., it costs over $7 per quart.
    I have a '10 Pilot with the same engine as your Odyssey. The engine definitely pings and my local Honda store told me it was normal operation.

High octane gas does nothing for the pinging. It's related to the VCM system which Honda should abandon.
    Yes, it is called Brake Priority Logic by Honda.

"A full suite of safety items is standard on every 2011 Honda Odyssey. These include antilock four-wheel disc brakes for more controlled stops, plus traction and antiskid systems for surer grip off the line and in turns. The 2011 Odyssey also includes Honda’s Brake Priority Logic, a brake-override system designed to prevent unintended acceleration by prioritizing stopping power if the brake and accelerator are pressed simultaneously."

http://www.airportmarinahonda.com/2011-honda-odyssey/
  • odysseybuyer1odysseybuyer1 Member Posts: 14
    Great. Thanks so much for the reply
    Mine went in for a 3rd time yesterday as well. The first time they tested the battery and it was fully charged. The second time they applied some kind of software update which didn't fix the problem. Yesterday they put in a brand new battery and as the technician was driving it around the corner to park it the warning signal came on again. So now they are ordering a new sensor that he tells me sits on the negative terminal of the battery. When that gets replaced I'll let you know if it has fixed the problem once and for all. If not then I will deifnitely be calling headquarters. My dealership told me that Honda is well aware of the problem so it isn't new news for headquarters even though they would like to make you believe that it is.
    Did they ever get the problem fixed for you or are you still getting the low battery warning?
  • memaw2memaw2 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem, getting no help from dealer, except to drive it more, how foolish, will never purchase another Honda. I will contact someone about this problem what number did you call. Ca.?
  • enamurphyenamurphy Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem!! Thank goodness I am not the only one. I also took my Odyssey to the dealer and they tested it ans said everthing was fine and I am still getting the warning. I will contact Honda headquarters and let them know.
  • srjainsrjain Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2011 Touring and my question is,
    Does anybody know if u can turn off the generic message /prompt when you press the talk button to give commands? In the first few weeks the prompt was helpfull,now I feel the beep would be enough.I feel like it will save time and can get the commands executed sooner.

Thanks