Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Jeep Cherokee Electrical Problem

spinonespinone Member Posts: 4
Headlights, instrument lights and fan motor all fluctuate together...lights go bright and dim, fan fast and slower. No pattern, no rythm. Replaced the alternator twice, computer module 3 times. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to have a look at Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • spinonespinone Member Posts: 4
    Spent some time looking through those posts...didn't see anything that aligned, and, since that is for Grand Cherokees, wasn't sure how applicable it would be to my Cherokee Classic anyway. Did they make the electrical systems the same on these two models?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am guessing that much of the electronics would be shared by the two models. With a little luck we'll have someone with hands on experience jump in here to help out. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    how old is the battery?
    Couple of years. Load test indicates its still good. No other indications, i.e.,slow starter spin, etc, of battery problem.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    All I know is that a battery that is going out on a jeep is headaches
    cheaper to put in new battery than hair transplants so if it were me would change battery first probley the least expensive thing to do always start with cheapest item then work up to the expensive stuf
    Will swap out the battery and see what happens. Thanks.
  • johntruesdelljohntruesdell Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    my 97 jeep cherokee laredo 4x4 was cutting off sometimes starts right up sometimes takes hours to start up have replaced all sensors and brain box and also the guages all go crazy the headlights go off and on the doors lock and unlock the windows go back and forth work not work etc also airbag is lit up dont know if it might pop out on me while driving. can this happen? anyone know what the problem is. also behind the brain box was a bolt that is now broke off what is it for? also when it is off on the left side under the hood it makes a clicking noise and the key isnt even on. something use to kill the battery but now just drains it low.
  • johntruesdelljohntruesdell Member Posts: 3
    jeeps electrical problems are a pain in the rear but i think you have a relay, or a shorted circuit . I have replaced computer, coil, distributor, rotor, plugs, plugwires, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, fuel pump, ignition switch, cleaned the throttle body because it was shutting down when it wanted to and would not start back till it got ready to. i would try checking relays, control switchesor loose orshorted wires. but the computer you get from advance auto parts esp. reconditioned ones may not have the quality ive heard but how do you return the computer after installing it and it dont work? they will probally argue it may be something else wrong. wiring harness maybe, power distribution box ( fuse box in the engine compartment) I heard that these are problems too, so its a long haul so my guess is sell the piece of junk