Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Honda Pilot

2»

Comments

• Options
    fritz98fritz98 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased the Honda pilot 2011 ex. I wish I could say I had no buyers remorse, but I do. For the most part my issues with the vehicle are cosmetic.

Top list of issues out of the box:
    1) Within a couple of days a moderate creaking/rattle noise developed from under the front passenger area when accelerating or breaking. Fortunately the dealer was able to repair this issue, but the repair job left some traces.
    2) There is a quarter size darker black discoloration on the steering wheel that is very noticeable in certain lighting conditions.
    3) The front dash board panelings do not line up up properly and leaving distracting gaps.
    4) The shift level has started to make rattle/squeak noises under certain conditions and seams to be growing in frequency.
    5) There are a couple of minor scratches on the dashboard.

These issues just gives me a feeling of poor quality from the inside when driving around. I wish I could return or exchange it like other merchandise. I will probably take the car in for 2. I expect that not much can be done about rest however.

On the positive side, I find everything else as expected (i.e. the import stuff).
    1) MPG (18) is better than my 98 pathfinder (16) for my driving.
    2) Engine noise and highway noise is except-able (impressive for the noise freak I am)
    3) Function selection selections are great: Heated outside mirrors, rear AC, flip up window, no moon roof option, strong roof rack etc.

Hope some you find this information useful.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I have news which will increase your buyers remorse:

The 2011 Honda Pilot failed to get a 5 star safety rating. The 2011 Pilot was not able to pass the rigorous NHTSA safety tests.

Hard to believe but true.
  • Options
    arob1arob1 Member Posts: 67
    A/C in my 2011 EX went dead at 300 miles. Dealer had to replace HVAC control module which stopped communicating to car's main computer.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    After losing the 5 star safety rating, the 2011 Pilot has hit more turbulence.

Honda has announced a recall of all 2011 Pilots to "prevent potential front suspension failure."
  • Options
    kennerdriverkennerdriver Member Posts: 12
    you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the Pilot. Not getting 5 stars is not failing. You said that a couple of posts ago. I also see that you are very fast to criticize the Pilot. Do you have one, or are you just a disgruntled ex-Pilot user?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes - this Pilot deserves criticism. Honda overpromised and underdelivered.

For a vehicle, which touts is safety, getting 4 stars is like getting a F grade in class. Is that clear?
    Caveat Emptor.
  • Options
    fio1022fio1022 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2011 pilot.
    It now has approximately 1200 miles and gas mileage is pitiful at 11.4 mpg.
    This vehicles sees very little highway but this can't normal.
    Any suggestions on how to improve.
    Thanks
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Honda engines are known for taking some time to achieve maximum mpg. Give it about 10K miles and then see how it's doing.
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Yes - this Pilot deserves criticism. Honda overpromised and underdelivered.

For a vehicle, which touts is safety, getting 4 stars is like getting a F grade in class

As an owner of a 2007 Pilot EX-L and now a 2011 Pilot EX-L I agree in some ways that the new Pilot isn't as good as the old one. I preferred my 2007 as far as, looks and size, but the seats were horrible, one of the reasons I sold it. The 2011 seats are much better.

As for safety, well, after being involved in an accident just over a month after buying my 2011 Pilot I can honestly say the car could not have done better. It kept me and my husband safe, for that I have no regrets that I bought it.

I'm looking forward to getting it back from the body shop and hope I never have to go through that again.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Have you held off on a car purchase because you're waiting for a better deal? Or did you go ahead and buy because you assume car prices could just rise even further this summer? An Associated Press reporter would like to talk with you. Please send your contact information to Aaron Lewis at pr@edmunds.com."
  • Options
    mkb74mkb74 Member Posts: 3
    just left a deal of 3k down 15k miles per year and 450 per month including tax, for 36 months, on an ex-l w/nav in nnj brother in law said that was too much to put as a down payment what do you guys think ???
  • Options
    solosolo Member Posts: 48
    It is also clear to me that Honda cannot improve their new models. I own a 2004 Pilot since new (among others). I have driven the new model (well 3 year old new) and don't like it as much as the 04. The wind and road noise has not been addressed and they all have a transaxle noise that only I seem to hear.. But someone tell me what 4 wheel drive is out there that has the width to load 4 foot wide plywood!?
    And to not get a 5 star rating is an F.
    I think the [non-permissible content removed] are going the route of our domestics.
  • Options
    barleybrewer55barleybrewer55 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have put 6 tanks of gas tru my 2011 pilot. I am really pleased with the gas mileage. On a long trip in Wisconsin , relatively flat, I got 23.9 mpg on the highway. The worst I got was 15.9 and that was towing a 3000 pound boat. You must have something wrong, dragging, etc.
  • Options
    avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    Just purchased a fully loaded 2011 White Diamond Pearl Pilot with gray interior. We have about 300 miles on the car. First impressions are positive. Smooth, quiet ride. Dealership in Lynnwood Washington was first class throughout the entire buying experience.

We plan on taking many road trips with this vehicle. Before selecting the Pilot, we checked out around a dozen other SUV's. The Honda fit our needs, just right.
  • Options
    wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    I am purchasing a Thule crossbar/ski rack system and the crossbars come is different lengths, 43", 47", 53" and 60".

I do not want the bars to extend past the width of the car and wanted to know if anyone knows which size will go the width of the Pilot without extending over?

I am not at home so I can't do this now but I am looking to buy a car rack for my 2011 Pilot.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ripjripj Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2011 pilot touring 10 months ago now and can say I am a little disappointed.
    I have owned other Honda products and have never had any normal (expected) problems for at least the first 5 years of ownership. Unfortunately I can't say the same for this new vehicle.
    Within the first 5 months of ownership the paint on the back hatch was bubbling with rust. This was fixed. Most recently (month 10) I am having problems with the electrical system all the interior lights will not work. I took it to the dealership with hopes of finding a quick fix they tried to replace the fuse but as soon as they put the fuse in it blew. So to say the least I am pretty disappointed thus far with it's track record.
    However I was recently on a long drive Toronto - Philadelphia and was got almost 1000 Km per tank. I didn't expect that.
    However, I am concerned with the other problems and wondering if others are having any similar problems.
  • Options
    walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2012
    I hate to say this, but I bought a 2011 Honda Pilot new on Jan 6, 2011. Have had a lot of problems with it, relatively speaking, which makes me real glad that I bought the 100K mile extended warranty. Problems so far include:

1. Before I had 12000 miles on it, the front axle seals starting making a funny noise that I noticed when I backed up. I had no idea what the problem was, but the dealer sure did and replaced them. I suspect this should've been a front axle seal recall, but customers never were told unless yours failed, as mine did.

2. The interior holds onto dirt like a political reporter. It sticks to the cheap-[non-permissible content removed] plastic trim that they used for the door panels and the console, and no cleanser made, in fact, nothing short of nuclear force, will remove it.

3. This vehicle has more blind spots than President Obama. I have actually smacked into objects with the rear bumper twice. They say it's because the sight line on the doors is so much higher, so maybe it's because I drove a smaller SUV than this one before I bought the Pilot. Anyways, don't stand behind me when I am backing out of a parking space, or you'll meet your Maker prematurely.

4. I suspect that the transmission is not as rugged as I had hoped. While the rated tow capacity for a 2011 4WD model is about 4500 lbs., I'll bet the real value is closer to half that. Anyway, don't volunteer to drive a float for the local parade!

5. Someone posted that the hinge on the back hatch was coming loose on their 2011 Honda Pilot and mine was the same! I think it is due to sun exposure. That little plastic flap that covers the hatch hinge is held on by hope and some crappy adhesive, and is under spring tension. I was able to show the tech BRAND NEW VEHICLES in the dealer lot that exhibited this same problem. Oddly, others do not exhibit it. Bad day at the double-stick tape factory??

6. Mine is Bali blue. Or is it Bali purple? Or Bali black? I can't tell, but it sure as hell ain't no shade of blue. And it's the poorest quality paint job I ever saw. So, let's call it Bali Crap. Just look at the paint job and it scratches. You practically need a complete repaint job every 6 months if you drive your SUV in the woods.

7. Apparently, there is a recall on the front suspension? I don't have details, but it's enough to trigger the lemon law for me.

SUMMARY: The safety rating is so-so. The overall quality is so-so. The interior and exterior paint and parts are simply crap. The front axle seals are total crap. The jury is out on the engine and transmission, but the later may also be crap. And, the front suspension is pure crap. It does have fairly good gas mileage for a heavy SUV, and is very roomy and comfortable, but so is a Ford Explorer. So does the good outweigh the bad?
  • Options
    azlib62azlib62 Member Posts: 3
    I'm on this site because my wife is getting bad directions from the Nav. I see I posted 2 years ago. Now we've had it 27 months, 47,000 miles. In general, Very happy with car. No mechanical problems, low maintenance. Guess I hadn't rotated tires enough as I had to replace front but back were still good. My wife got used to the seats and is now comfortable in the car. Starting this year the nav system is giving bad directions, including after paying Honda $99 for updated Nav disc. Otherwise very happy.