Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I believe, though I'm not certain, that the evap leak detection/purge pump is located in the rear passenger corner on late models. It will run a cycle at start up, then periodically thereafter. However, there's no connection between the pump cycling and the radio or speakers.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Thanks Mac, I just searched and found your post (7047) about the air bag light intermittently coming on and tach and speedo going dead. Helpful info!

One question; are TSBs recalls? I figure if I can get this fixed for free, I might as well take advantage of it.

Thanks, Dan
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    TSBs are NOT recalls, unfortunately. I'll be wishing they were when my exhaust manifold eventually cracks. It drives you crazy when you go the dealership and they know instantly what the problem is. I had the "gauges go on-and-off" problem myself but I was "lucky" that it happened while I still had 6 months left on the warranty.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I had the dash gauge problem (well out of warranty) and it turned out to be very simple to fix - mine didn't require any parts, just some time. It also didn't cost me anything, except for the lunch I bought a friend of mine who held my hand and helped with the project. I figured that was an excellent investment (I won 2 ways - I got the dash gauges fixed and enjoyed my friends companionship for a day). The instructions you all referred me to worked and I haven't had any problems since.

goducks1 - Good luck with the exhaust manifold - that was my most expensive repair so far.
    I just know it's coming and it doesn't make me happy--a future repair that I can do nothing to prevent. Unless I can convince the dealership to do it for free (not likely) I'll put a Borla header on there to replace it. BTW, there's a class action lawsuit going on about this. Look around on the web.
  • freditfredit Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 "X" model with the same exact sound. I don't believe it's a tail pipe proplem. It definately sounds like a "pump" noise. It's only on start up then goes away. I think mac24 is on to something with the evac pump. I don't have the radio problems you've mentioned.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    On your gauges on/off issue, did it impact ALL gauges or just a particular few?

My fuel gauge does it occasionally and was wondering if it was something easy (vs the sending unit in the tank itself).

If it is the tank, I'll probably drop the tank, replace the sending unit and do the little mod to convert my tank to handle the 19 gallons it is actually designed for. If I gotta drop it, I'll do it all at the same time. :) Skid plate too.

-Paul
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I plan on putting a 2"spacer lift on with 31x10.5" BFG A/T tires on stock Canyon rims in the near future. If I decided to go with 32x11.5" tires w/same lift and wheels would there be rubbing? Would I need to go with 3" lift then?

Thanks,
    Stephen
    The intermittent gauges thing affected ALL gauges--speedometer, tach, oil pressure, fuel gauge, etc. They're all on. Then suddenly they're all off. And then back on. I think it was limited to the '98 year though I'm not sure of that.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    goducks is right - I either had all of the gauges or none of them with the air bag light would come on. Very annoying not to have an idea of how much fuel you had and no way to really judge it, because the odo didn't work either. Sometimes they would go out or come back on when I drove over a bump, but not always. Sometimes they would go out for a short period of time, and sometimes they would be out for several days.

I, too, thought the problem was just with some of the '98s, but I could be wrong about that. I know the exhaust manifold problem was multiple years. Guess I'll have to look for the class action suit - I thought it was strange that there was a recall on the '97s but only a TSB for the manifold bolts on the '98.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Stephen,

It might rub. Probably will under full compression, especially in the front when the wheels are turned all the way.

I don't have the exact wheels as you on my 02 X, mine are the plain steel ones. I put 33"x10.50 BFG MT's on with a 2" spacer lift. I didn't like the rubbing when I turned the front wheels all the way, so I use aluminum wheel spacers between my front wheels and their mounting surface. The back rubbed only under full compression and it was only minor. 32's might not rub at all back there.

Then I got longer shocks and sway bar quick disconnects. The increased articulation in the front caused rubbing on the top of the fender that I hadn't seen before. That made me do a 2" body lift. Everything is fine now.

I know you're not talking about 33's, but 32's and an inch wider will be close to what I experienced.

-Pete
    Would be a bit less possibility of rubbing if I went with 32x10.5 instead of 11.5 & only did the 2"spacer lift?

Thanks,
    Stephen
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Mine is a '99 and just my tach and speedo go out.
    I plan on following MACs instructions.

Is it safe to Assume that the manifold issue affects 99's also?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Stephen:

Last I heard you do no serious offroading. Is that still true?

As long as you don't disconnect your front sway bar, which is commonly done for moderate to extreme offroading, the tires should not rub the flares with a two inch spacer lift and 32" diameter tires. A bone stock TJ will accommodate 31 x 10.50 tires.

It's possible that you could even disco, if you are willing to have just a small rub.

Your bigger worry is going to be rubbing on the spring perches in the rear and on your lower control arms up front when the steering wheel is at full turn. Those Canyon wheels have a LOT of backspacing, 5.5" to be exact.

You should mount tires no wider than 10.50" on those Canyon wheels. I'm not sure that anyone makes a 32" tire in the 10.50" width. Maybe someone does, but it would not be a common size that could be easily found.

Pete got away with the wider tires because he installed wheel spacers. Those things mount to you existing hubs and effectively reduce the backspacing of the wheels.

There is a big debate over how safe and reliable wheel spacers are, and there are some that are definitely risky. Obviously, Pete found some that he has confidence in, so you oughta let him tell you what he has and where he got 'em.

As you can see from the diagram above, more backspacing pulls the tire in closer to the frame, and less backspacing pushes the tire outward from the frame. The large amount of backspacing of the Canyon rims limits the width of tire you can use to 10.50," unless a wheel spacer is used.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S.

Some people even have a little trouble with rubbing on the lower control arms at full wheel turn with 10.50" tires on Canyons. It's an easy fix by adding some washers behind the steering stops. It limits your turning, but not enough to worry about. I did not have to do that on Thelma Jane when she had 10.50" tires on her Canyon wheels, but some people do.
  • fairviewfairview Member Posts: 20
    I had the fuel guage problem too, and ran across the solution on another board. The problem is with a plug at the left front corner of the tank. As I understand the membership agreement, I can't post the name of that board, but if you send me an email, I can tell you how to find it. If I am off base here, someone please correct me. This is my first posting and I don't want to get off to a bad start.
    Welcome!

I think you handled that just right. Steve and Tidester (our hosts) will be proud of you! :)

Glad to have you with us, and I hope you will be a frequent poster.

Tom

P.S. It shows in your profile that your email addy is private. (You invited erickpl to email you.)
  • gretagreta Member Posts: 23
    Question # 1: I'm just wondering why there is so very little air coming in naturally thru the 7 little intake slots on top of the hood, just below the center of the windshield, and then finally into the interior of the passenger area?

Actually, I did just look under the hood to find a narrow black pipe going up along the firewall, into that screened vent at the rear of the hood. Looking down into the screened vent, I can see an extremely small opening, which I assume is that black pipe coming from below. How could Jeep have thought that that was enough of a fresh air intake? The spongy end of that upwardly mounted pipe seems like it will dry rot and flake away quickly, then there will be even less of a connection to the outer air.

I guess I'm just wondering, Question # 2: if anyone else has gone to the extent of adding the aftermarket Air Scoop to cover the 7 little intake slots. (Three or four versions are sold on www.quadratec.com for the Wrangler.) They look like they would scoop in a whole lot of air.

Then one might wonder, Question # 3: is there is anyway to access that black pipe on the firewall, to clean it out?

Thanks for any advice. greta
    #1: Are you saying that you have an inadequate volume of fresh air entering the Jeep? Or, that it looks to you as if an adequate volume couldn't possibly enter? For what it's worth, I've never heard anything but praise for the Wrangler's HVAC system (except when it's broken). It certainly supplies sufficient volume and pressure to inflate the soft top and prevent flapping at speed. I've no knowledge of the pipe connector succumbing to dry rot and flaking away.

#2: The base of the windshield is a turbulent high pressure area. The scoop should be fitted with its opening toward the windshield or it will reduce the efficiency of the intake. Correct instructions are supplied with scoop. They're usually bought for looks rather than efficiency.

#3: Any debris that might accumulate in plenum can be removed with a garden hose. Direct it in through the cowl slots and the pressure will open the rubber drain valve.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My 1999 Sahara had the same problem. It's a simple fix however-30 minutes tops.
  • jstjst Member Posts: 8
    You comment that you will do a mod so that your gas tank will hold an actual 19 gallons of gas...can you elaborate....what is preventing servicing the tank with a full 19 gallons? I have not heard of this before. Does this situation impact all Wrangler TJs...(mine is a '99 Sport)...thanks...JST
    Welcome!

I don't know enough details to do you much good, but I can confirm that up until some certain model year, they had a fifteen gallon gas tank as standard, but you could get an optional 19 gallon tank.

Well, the tank was actually the same in either case, but they designed something into the fill tube, I believe, that makes the tank effectively have only a 15 gallon capacity. If someone got the "19 gallon tank" option, they left something out at the factory, so that the tank would really hold 19 gallons.

Apparently, a person whose Jeep has a tank with the 15 gallon capacity can drop the tank and remove something so that their tank will hold 19 gallons.

I don't know which model year they stopped this nonsense at DC.

Can someone enlighten us on this subject?

Tom

I had thought that was only on YJs, I think they killed it off when they started the TJ models (97+). But I could be wrong. Can you even get a 15-gallon tank on a TJ?
    I think the 19 gallon tank became standard around 2000. The 15 gallon tank was identical to the 19 gallon tank except for the filler tube, which extended further into the tank. After dropping the tank and removing the fuel pump assembly, you can reach in and trim it back.

Incidentally, I once managed to get 20 gallons into mine! However, for long fuel pump life, it's a good idea not to do this too often. The pump is cooled by the fuel, and always running the tank to practically empty will shorten its life. I usually refill when it drops to 1/4 left.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I picked up an Umlimited brochure and although I like the concept, think the standard Wrangler best fits my maneuverability goals. However, the literature poses an interesting (to me) question.

All verbiage says the Unlim. is 15" longer, 10" in the wheelbase and 5" behind the rear axle. The schematics in the literature show the wheelbase going from 93.4" to 103.4" (10.0") and the OAL from 155.4" to 167.0" which is 11.6". If 5" has been added behind the rear axle, has 3.4" been removed ahead of the front axle? Or alternately, has the axle merely been moved 3.4" forward to help claim the 10" figure? Or is the OAL length in the brochure wrong?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I think the "small" tank may have only been on the SE, not the Sport or Sahara. My understanding is that DC stopped this practice after a few years.

-twylie
    and yes it only lets me put in 15 gallons, unless I click the pump for about 5 minutes to squeeze the additional gas in there. All mods I've seen for this are for SE's.

-Paul
    Just doesn't seem right for there to not be any new posts prior to twylie's. :-)

Well...had my Jeep broken into last night. It was my own laziness that contributed to the event. I left my gym bag in the passenger footwell instead of cramming it in the Add-a-trunk like I normally do. The softtop was on and the windows were all on. I have the full front doors and they were locked. Whoever committed the crime had the good sense to unzip the passenger side rear window and then reach in and unlock the passenger door. About 3 pairs of sunglasses were stolen as well. Fortunately, I didn't have anything of value in the bag. Had a couple of CDs stolen but stereo was untouched... no damage. I'm aware that I was very lucky.

As a side note: I've been going through some rough last couple of days working on old behavior/belief tapes regarding other events in my life. The common theme has been "old tapes" and how does one get them to stop playing, etc. Anyhoo...guess what was left in my Jeep after I discovered it had been broken into? A bag of old prerecorded cassette tapes! How funny is that! I took that as a sign! :-) Hope this wasn't too much sharing but I think it was just about a perfect experience in light of everything else.

Eyes opened in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview people who recently bought a vehicle and considered its fuel economy as a major factor - or chose to ignore its fuel economy and bought it anyway. Please respond to pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and a line about your purchase decision no later than 5pm Pacific on Friday, May 21, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Geez, it sure gets boring in here sometimes. Glad you posted, Stephen, even though it was to share bad news with us.

Stephen, I have not a clue what you are talking about regarding "old tapes" and how you "get them to stop playing." Guess I'm just dense.

Whatever is buggin' you, I hope things turn around for ya. Good luck overcoming whatever it is that bothers you, Stephen.

Glad you came out as well as you did on your Jeep break-in. Still sucks that people steal, but at least that guy didn't do any damage to the Jeep.

Tom

Well, I get to tinker with Kermit (my Jeep) this weekend.

Installing Toys By Troy rocker sliders
    Installing Mirror Relocation Brackets
    Taking off doors (even though we're having a snap)
    Cleaning flares to try and get them black again

I'll put some pics up in Webshots when I get it done. Hopefully it will look decent. Tom, you'll be proud, I removed the plastic pontoons from my bumpers! :)

Still left to do:
    Stereo upgrades (mod pods, XM, new front speakers)
    Bumpers
    Bored out throttle body upgrade
    CB

-Paul
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    Been workin to get the Jeep modded up for Turkey Bay next weekend.

At least thats my excuse!!!

David
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Whew.. Im gonna for awhile u guys post like crazy 170 post.. My eyes are watering..
    SUMMER is here 89 here today in BAMA. I gotta have a topless/doorless day soon. And you guys are not gonna beleive me but I havent washed TAZZ in 2 weeks. He is very dirty too. And reg unleadeed gas hit $2.00 a gal here in bama today.
    I will need a loan just to get a full tank.
     I only have 13 payments left on TAZZ then he will be all mine then the MODS start going on.
      Keep Posting guys & welcome to all the new folks in here!!

KEEP JEEPIN
      BamaTazz ROLLL TIDE
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In case you haven't hear yet, we had a server problem starting late Thursday and didn't recover until Friday afternoon.

tidester, host
    Didn't know when the problem started or even what was going on. I know something was weird when I tried to post from work yesterday. My post wouldn't go through.

Glad we are back in bidness now.

Tom

David:

We're getting down to the wire, Boy! I'm really lookin' forward to introducing you to the wonderful world of "wheelin'." You will have the time of your life, and you will have a whole new respect for your Jeep, after seeing the crazy places that it will go.

Ok, Ok, don't get nervous, I know you don't want to get TOO crazy, but even so, you will be amazed at the capabilities of a Jeep. We'll do Bronco Gully, Nose Dive, Blackhole Gully, and I will have to get you on Rocky Top and Buttpucker Hill for sure. Those places are fun, and they are pretty low risk for damage.

Can't remember if you have the Dana 44 in back, but if so, we'll do the Silo Hill climb.

Tom

P.S. I just want to remind all of you Jeep Buds here in Edmunds Jeep Wrangler that you are welcome to come to Turkey Bay anytime, and I will be glad to show you around.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    When I have the soft top on my Jeep I do not lock the doors. I work (an park my vehicle where) criminals are requires to be. In the complex where I work there is a Juvenile Hall, Probation Department, Maximum Security Jail, Courthouse, and a County Hospital. Crooks are everywhere.

The parking structure I park in is for employees only but is accessible to anyone, and is next to the structure where the public parks. All I do when I park in the structure is lock the center console and put a Club on the steering wheel, and I have not had a problem YET.

Take it from me the common criminal is not very smart. You are very lucky the person who stole your gym bag did not cut your window or top to get in. I know I may sound condescending, but I have seen many people enter a courthouse, with tight security, take drugs out of their pocket place them in the plastic tray and place it on top of the X-Ray machine (similar to the airport) in plane sight and walk through the medal detector. I can give many examples of people committing crimes without thinking them through.

The best thing you can do to protect your Wrangle (with a soft top or no top) is a Club and Lojack. And don’t leave anything in it you cannot live without.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I would be celebrating if gas prices in California where only $2.00 per gal. I have seen prices range form $2.21 to $3.00 per gal.
  • coylzcoylz Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a second vehicle since moving to Fl. Is a '92 Wrangler with 86,000 at the end of its life? It is well taken care of, but wonder what the future may hold for this type of vehicle. Also new tranny, brakes & exhaust...is that a red flag? Thanks!
    Kind of depends on its history really. If properly maintained, the engine should be good for 150-200 thousand miles. New transmission, brakes and exhaust sound like a bonus to me. However, any vehicle over ten years old will have issues of one sort or another.

Not sure what you mean about the future for this type of vehicle? I guess it might be made obsolete by personal hovercraft or flying cars one day, but they've been saying that for over fifty years!

:--)
    If you have driven that Jeep, then I shouldn't have to point out the lack of power with that four cylinder engine. If you can live with that, then that might just be the Jeep for you. If you would be driving it around town and off road only, then the power shouldn't matter that much. If you would be driving it much on the highway, then I don't think you would want the four banger.

You didn't mention the asking price. If it is reasonable, and if the four banger is not a problem, then it might be a good deal for you.

Like Mac said, if it has been taken care of, the 86K miles should not be a problem.

If you have never owned a short wheel base Jeep like a Wrangler before, you have not a clue how fun they are! They are a blast!

Tom

• bfoxvtbfoxvt Member Posts: 5
    oh the horror! my wife had a little mishap in a parking lot and ran into a post that was about 12 inches high. the damage is just under the passenger side door. there is a noticeable dent right at the bottom, nothing too serious though.

this has led me to consider getting some sill guards (as i am planing on slowly migrating to a decent off road rig as i have the funds). can the sill guards be installed when there is some minor damage? i am not exactly sure how they are installed, i am hoping i can just slap them on over the dent and be happy :)

thanks
    Rocker guards are a great investment, if you are going to go off road with a Jeep. They are very vulnerable to getting damage from logs or rocks.

I have the Sun Performance rocker guards and have been well pleased with them.

You would need to get your rockers beat back to somewhere close to the orginal shape before mounting these.

Tom

• drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    I'll second the leaving of everything unlocked when the soft top is on. I don't doubt that some mental midget might still cut before even trying the doors but that's life. I've taken to leaving everything open (console/glove box) and making sure that there is absolutely NOTHING inside (garage door opener, documentation, etc). On to happier topics though...

Had the top off for a couple of days - woohoo!! That was soooo much fun. It's almost been six months and I absolutely LOVE my Buffy! I have put on some tail light guards as that area seems rather vulnerable, and the rear lights even more so. My next project is a CB. I have purchased the Cobra 75 WXST but still need the antenna and cable - any suggestions for what kind of antenna (or brand, or model) to go with?

Andrew
    I am so used to seeing Thelma Jane with her winch that an old picture of her before she had it looks funny. I posted that pic a couple posts up the page to show her rocker guards, but that was taken before she got her winch.

A Jeep just looks so much better with a winch on that front bumper.

Tom

• dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    Tom,

No 44 as of yet... still has the original dana 35 with cutesy 3.07 gears so runnin with the big dogs is out at least for now. Plus this is the first time I'm bringing the whole family wheelin so I don't want to scare them off.

We are planning on being at the hotel on Friday and hitting up TB early Saturday. I'm thinking about trying to give ya a holler on Friday so we can link up for Saturday. I spent yesterday installing the Olympic Daves rack and the swing away tire carrier/bumper that my brother made on the jeep. I have an OME 2" suspension kit and a gas tank skid that I won't have time to install before the trip(guess I'll have to set up another trip to try them out)

I'm really looking forward to wheelin with you. You have been very instrumental in helping me pursue a life long goal of owning a Jeep.

David

BTW I love the pictures of Thelma. Can't wait to see her.
    Let's exchange emails again before you leave home in case there are some last minute things we need to talk about.

You should have my cell phone number, and I think you sent me yours.

The usual thing for me is to be at the entrance shack at 9:30 AM on Saturday mornings, so unless that's a problem for you, we can plan on meeting then.

Tom

I remember your guards. I liked em, but wanted a step on them so I could have my wife get in easier. I have a pic of them up at Webshots at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

-Paul
    When you installed the new speakers, did you put 5 1/4" in your dash or did you stick with 4x6? I am replacing mine hopefully this weekend and was curious as to what you used. I thought about the mod pods, but if I can go in dash, I'd prefer to go that route. I have a 97 SE.

I would have referred to previous messages you sent, but my computer crashed Thursday and I lost my HD.

-Paul
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Went to the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree last weekend and had a blast. I had the only grand cherokee in the group with 2 other cherokees and 1 liberty and the rest wranglers, CJ's, Scramblers etc. 120 jeeps 180 people, it looked like a military manuever. The jamboree folks are great and the food terrific. If ya ever get a chance to go to this jamboree I highly recommend this one.

Tom we are in our house FINALLY, with just needing to finish up on some painting and getting my condo ready to lease out. Then its time to look long and hard for a wrangler, YES.....Now to decide used, or new. If new im torn between the rubicon and Unlimited. Ive driven both now and the unlimited definetly has better on road manners and will hold more of the family's stuff. Plus after looking on the American Expedition Vehicle web site and seeing the unlimited with a lift and tires its sweet....