Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• unsatisfied16unsatisfied16 Member Posts: 21
    Just went to the dealership for an oil consumption test. Down 3/4 qt at 900 miles. Now I am having an occasional ticking noise while idling. Looking through the blogs, it maybe the lifters. Anyone have this problem. Driving out of town next week for son's soccer tournament. Afraid I am going to get stuck again. Not going to he happy to leave at dealership for days AGAIN until maybe they find something wrong! Any ideas? Anyone with a 5.3l AFM engine with this problem?
  • thepoulmanthepoulman Member Posts: 3
    Sarah,

I'm having the exact same problems with my 2007 Yukon XL. I've been working with the dealership in my town, and they have installed a deflection plate as per the GM bulletin. 3 weeks after that "correction" and 1800 miles into the oil change, I brought it back in due to low oil message. It was looked at and determined that it was down 1.5 quarts. Now they are saying they have to clean carbon from the pistons and rings. While the dealership seems to be working with me and doing a good job, I am displeased with the situation. How can I open a case with GM to get you folks involved to help me here. I'm concerned of the long term problems that could be caused by this issue. Is the only true fix to this problem replacing this design flawed engine? Thank you in advance for your consideration. Jeff-
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon Jeff,
    To get a Service Request going with us, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information, including: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership. Also, if you would please include a description of your vehicle concern/situation or include a link to this page that would be helpful as my coworker Christina answers incoming emails from the forum.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • unsettledownerunsettledowner Member Posts: 6
    I just want to tell all of you having this problem that it IS a REAL problem. I fought this fight for FIVE YEARS with GMC. My dealership is a WONDERFUL place and they did all they could do, but it is essentially like a doctor/insurance company relationship with GMC for them. I brought my vehicle in SO many times for the oil consumption problem that I lost count and my dealership actually seemed to get irritated as well. On top of that, under warranty I also had my alternator replaced, my transmission fixed and with the engine, the "tiers" followed were done more than once. Needless to say, GMC offered me a carrot to purchase a NEW GM product and trade in this truck. As most items were new on the truck now, in lieu of the engine, that was still burning oil and I was confident, still having a year left on warranty would have to be replaced as there were NO other options left, we kept it. (I DO LOVE my truck aside from having to run it in constantly :-( ). About a month or so ago, it burned oil YET AGAIN and I had the no oil light (and barely any oil in the vehicle). GM finally relented and did put a new engine in. I do NOT know WHY this is such a hassle for their customers and why they put us through all the headaches and tears. When you buy a BRAND NEW VEHICLE (as we did) and you are plagued with problems from the beginning, it shouldn't have taken us 5 years of fighting to get the engine we knew, three years ago now, we needed. Also, my vehicle was from Janesville, WI and it closed it's doors at the end of 2008. My husband has always wondered if the vehicles having the problem were perhaps from the same plant(s).
    I know GM customer service will probably email me from this post. It is not necessary as we DID receive our engine finally. My reason for posting is to tell the others on here, who are suffering as we did from the same angst, confusion and frustration, to NOT give up. If they do NOT have the same relationship I did with my dealership, to go elsewhere until you do. What you are experiencing with your vehicle is not normal. It caused mine to blow pistons/rods, to have lifters replaced TWICE and much more before they then put in the new engine block. Good luck to you all!
  • kdl2471kdl2471 Member Posts: 10
    Has a recall ever be done on these vehicles? If not why hasn't there been. I quit carrying my vehicle back over this mess. I am over the 100,000 miles now and the dealer acted like I was dreaming up this stuff. I printed stuff off from this site and showed them others had the same problem, but that didn't seem to matter. I really like my vehicle but I am really over GM at this point.
    I'm glad to hear that you finally were able to arrive at a resolution on the oil consumption issue, and am sorry for the anxiety and frustration that you must have experienced along the way.

I hope that with your new engine that this vehicle performs well for you for many miles!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    If we can look into your vehicle's information to see if there are any open recalls on it, we'd be happy to do so! Please send us an email at the address located in my profile here on the site and we'll get any information we find right to you.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bignate2bignate2 Member Posts: 5
    I've had Suburbans since 1972 ('72, '77, '79, '81, '85, '89, '92, '95, '99 , 2001 and now a 2007 GMC Yukon XL. I will NEVER own another GM product for as long as I live, and I will do my da-nest to be sure none of my family ever does either! Bought the 2007 with 59,000 miles on it and got a helluva deal on it (or so I thought! We all know why NOW!).
  • coupdevillcoupdevill Member Posts: 4
    Good news: You got a new engine!

Bad news:
    GM still doesn't care about this issue or their loyal customers, consider yourself lucky. This issue has been going on for at least 4 years and as far as they are concerned, there is no problem, its normal. I've owned 4 Suburban's in the last 12 years and won't be buying another. I have 143K miles on my current 2007 LT and pretty much need a new one.
  • notnormalnotnormal Member Posts: 7
    deflector put on 4000 miles ago on 07 Yukon, oil change, 1700 miles ago, light back on!!!!!!Now down 2 quarts in 1700 miles. Been burning oil since 30k miles, has 53k currently. That's a lot of oil changes. Now they are doing an updated Valve Cover. Craziness... How about just a new Engine???????
    So I am unfortunately an oil consumtion expert. I have had my 2007 since it was new. At about 30k miles the oil light started coming on every 2k miles. The dealership said it was normal. After a few times I complained. They did a consumption test, and I was down 1 quart, and said that 1 quart low in 1k miles was NORMAL. I lived with that answer for quite a while. Theyn I finally called GM. Guess what, it wasnt normal!!! I was excited to finally get a case number from GM and get an "Oil Deflector" put in (at 47K miles). Had a regular oil change at 51k miles, didn't even make it to 53k miles, and the light came back on. Now I am down 2 quarts. There is a new new bulletin from GM #PIP4492Z to update my valve cover now. Then they are going to replace all my pistons and rings. How about you replace my engine, being as that I have a WARRANTY and have been complaining for 25,000 miles!!!! Total CRAZINESS!
    Good morning,

I saw that you posted a previously opened case earlier, and I looked into that to see what had become of it. It looks as though your agent was unable to contact you and so closed the case. Would you like for us to set up a new case for you?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • beasstbeasst Member Posts: 9
    same here, I had the deflector installed and after 1800 miles the light is back on again! THIS IS BANANAS!

GM needs to fix these issues asap! I am really thinking about going forgein next time I buy (I cant believe I just typed that but its true!)
    :lemon:
  • mmoran1234mmoran1234 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading this thread for a while and thought it might be helpful to share my chain of events with my 2008 Yukon XL SLT. We bought this car new. It now has 77K miles.
    It starts out with being told your oil is low when you take it in for an oil change. If you change your oil regularly and drive under normal conditions, this should not happen. Don't let anyone tell you it's normal to be low. The next clue was white smoke on a cold start. This doesn't happen right after the oil change but maybe 500 to 1000 miles in. Again, I'm told that every car burns oil. Because of the smoke, I persisted and the dealer (who, by the way has a great service department) added oil and began a consumption test. After not quite 1000 miles, the car smoked again on a cold start and once again, I took it back to the dealer. At first the dealer said that GM requires 3 consumption tests before they proceed with any work on this but when they checked the oil and found it was 2-3 quarts down after 1000 miles, they said they could override that requirement. Following a GM service bulletin, they installed a redesigned valve rocker arm cover and asked me to come back after 100 miles for a recheck.
    Well...after just 600 miles, the car began to smoke upon starting and my service engine light came on(this light had never come on before). I took the car in again and it was down 1 quart. This time they added the oil deflector and cleaned carbon from the cylinder. I went to pick up the car and when I started it, the service engine light came on, AGAIN! Needless to say, I left the car there again. Not sure what today's problem is! I have seen that some people have the deflector installed first and then the valve rocker arm cover. I'm not sure why mine was done on the reverse order.
    Based on everything I have seen on this forum, I'm pretty sure the deflector will not fix my problem - isn't a deflector just a band-aid for an inherent problem anyway? I guess the next step is a re-built engine. So very inconvenient and frustrating!!

If this had been my only problem with this car, it would still be frustrating but I could probably deal with it. However, I've had several other issues as well.

Bad shocks when the car was new. This took a very long time and several dealers before it was actually diagnosed and repaired.

At 32k miles, service engine light came on. The throttle body assembly was replaced.

Next, around 75k miles, I had the reduced engine power issue that many others have reported. And yes, my car shut off a few times while driving - VERY dangerous!! After getting the runaround from my old dealer, I got this problem fixed with my current dealer. They replaced the throttle position cover.

I also had to have a door lock actuator/latch repaired because the drivers door wouldn't lock. This was a non-warranty repair so it cost almost $300.

These are the major things but I also have a squeaky steering wheel and the battery has died a couple of times, once after having the radio on for 5 minutes and once after having the hatch open for 5 minutes. The battery tests fine though.

I have to say that I really wish I didn't have these problems because I like my car. It's my second Yukon XL. My first one (2001) is being driven by one of my kids and has over 200k miles on it with no problems - ever! I took for granted that this would be the case with the 2008. One of the reasons you buy a new car is so you don't have to deal with problems.
    Have you contacted Customer Assistance already on this, mmoran1234? If you would like for us to see if there's anything we can do to assist, please send us an email at the address located in my profile (include your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, your current phone number and address, and the name of your involved dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming email from the forum, will assist you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • beasstbeasst Member Posts: 9
    On the phone with GM now, truck is at the dealers and once again they are telling me that the truck can burn up 1 quart per 2k miles is acceptable! WTF! This is crazy!

My Question: If it is acceptable then why is the LOW OIL LIGHT ON?

My Answer: ***CRICKETS***
    Everybody that reads thru this posting needs to remember just how all the "victims" were treated (and how one of their likely largest vehicle investments EVER was supported by the Company that built it...let alone with ObamaBucks). I've had Suburbans since 1972...MANY of them (gas, deisel, 2wd, 4 wd, etc. -- still have 2 <1999 and an 2007) and I will NEVER have another one!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    edited March 2012
    Engines use oil, I have written about that several times in this thread. Every penny wasted on trying to change the consumption rate of your engine would have been better spent by just handing you oil to add to it when required.The worst thing anyone could ever do is try and fix your engine as that only serves to enhance the perception that something is actually wrong with it.

If the oil consumption rate causes fouling of a spark plug (or plugs) and results in a misfire then a repair is indicated. If not then you simply need to check and add oil as required, change it on schedule and enjoy your car.

For those who have engines that apear to not use oil, I have explained that as well and it has to do with the oils ability to hold certain contaminents in suspension and the amount of time that you routinely spend taking the car on long duration trips.
  • bpritchard68bpritchard68 Member Posts: 7
    I've been going back and for w/the dealers on all the oil consumption test for well over 1-2 years now. Noticed Yukon burning oil around the 45/50k mile, 1 Q per Oil change, had the valve covers, splash guard misc things done. Problemed continued. Dealer states just need to continue doing the consumption test, we have your back, don't worry! now that we have done this many times, going by the dealer every 1k miles, etc. Provided within a shadow of doudt that it's burning oil, we are handed a GM response stating this is normal and go pound sand. It started burning so much that the light began to come on, then after testing its burning atleast 1Q per 1k miles! finally took it to the original dealer, they seemed intrested in helping, now have replaced the pistons (state anyways, not sure given they only had it in the shop for 1 day, awfully quick but hope they did the work)... my big concern now is, if it truly has an engine problem, pistons slack, burning lot's of oil, probably a good chance that it has caused other wear and damage that will show itself fairly soon? thoughts anyone?
    How has everything been running since the work was completed? If you should run into any further issues, please don't hesitate to contact us by email at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi, i picked it up yesterday. Like i noted, after dealing w/this for over a year now and approx. 50k+ miles, my original dealer acknowledged it was a real problem and replaced the Pistons/Rings. Very happy they finally did something of more substance, which is great. Picked it up, was told all the right things and it appears to run ok now. Will need to keep checking the Oil Consumption but i'm still concerned about the engine overall and given my experience, it will be very difficult to continue buying GM products. I have spent more money for years sticking w/American made and mainly GM, i've gone through several Suburbans, also have a 2500HD Duramax, typically pay cash for all of them. If i could look back, just short of 60k for this Danali and probably should have went w/the Toyota or Lexus equivilant but trying to be a good loyal american consumer. Dealer was great w/this last service, just being honest that i'm not sure i can continue doing business w/GM, nor recommending them based off this experience.
    I'm glad to hear that things have been running better. I appreciate your patience with us as you sought to get this taken care of, and respect your opinion as you stated in your recent post.

Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • flustered1flustered1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issues with my Yukon xl my last 8 vin numbers are7r279057. Can u let me know if there are warranty or recalls available. I am using 2quarts per 1000 miles
    OK, so after a deflection plate has been installed (as per GM Bulletin) and 2 sessions of piston and ring baths to clean carbon out, still the same old issue. My 2007 Yukon XL (after 800 miles since the last several hour visit to the dealer) The low oil light is coming on. Now I'm going BACK in today for oil change and the 4th oil consumption test. This is getting really old. If this was happening to my Mercedes, they would have fixed it, rather than playing runaround games and band aid solutions. Sarah, I would like to officially open a case directly with you/GM. Please let me know what you need to do that.
    flustered1,

I checked your VIN and did not see any open recalls at this time. The following warranties are still in effect on your Yukon until the date/mileage indicated (whichever comes first):
    Corrosion Limited Warranty until 01/12/2013 or 100,019 MI
    Emission Select Component Ltd Wty until 01/12/2015 or 80,019 MI

Your powertrain warranty went out in January of this year.

What is your plan of action from here? We're definitely available to assist in whatever way we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    thepoulman,

If you would please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com, we'll get a Service Request going for you:

Your name/Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    Last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage
    The name of your involved dealership and any appointment details you can recall (dates, etc)

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Completed. Thank you Sarah.
  • kbelangerkbelanger Member Posts: 2
    So, long story short. I received a low oil pressure, stop engine now message. Low and behold I have no oil on my dipstick. I put about 3.5 to 4.0 qts of oil in. I made an appt with a local GMC service department in Grapevine, TX. He proceeds to tell me that this is normal, these vehicles are designed to burn oil. Furthermore, one qt of oil per 3000 miles is normal; thereafter 1 Qt of oil every 1,000 miles. So I would burn through 5 qts in 7000 miles, with the manuf recommendation being 7,500. It is up to me to check my oil and add oil as needed between oil changes. What the heck do I need an oil change for then. Regardless. So, I begin the dreaded oil consumption test. I leave the vehicle and pick it up later in the day after a fresh oil change, and surprising enough it took all day and the service dept is now closed and coordinate with new car sales to have my paperwork and key. The very first thing I did before I start my truck, is check the oil where they parked it (on level ground). It is overserviced by at least 1/2 to 3/4" over the top hash mark. Talk about trying to skew the results of an oil consumption test. Do you think I am taking my Yukon back there? Of course not. I will be making some phone calls next week. But I had to share to see if anyone else had checked their oil when picking it up from the dealer at the beginning of the "oil consumption test." Oh I had my daughter take pics of the dipstick with my Iphone showing the over servicing.
    kbelanger,

If we can look into this further with you, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealership, and appointment details pertaining to the oil consumption matter (dates, money paid, etc).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I spend months (50k+ miles) going through this same exact scenario. Pick it up after oil change, prior to starting another round of oil consumption test, it has an extra Q, which i guess helps ensure you don't run out but doesn't enable the results to be accurate (when nobody told they were adding even more than normal). After all the time, energy, effort and frustration of doing these test, i'm told it's normal, just go on about your business. Not to cool.
    I finally took it back to the originally dealer i purchased it from. They agreed there was an issue and quickly replaced the Pistons/Rings. It's fairly recent but i could tell it helped w/performance and it doesn't seem to be burning at the rate it was (2-3 Q's in between changes). I'm hoping it's fixed but given so many issues, i still worry the engine should have been replaced. I didn't buy a $55k vehicle to piece mill key engine components which will end up limiting the overall life i could expect from this vehicle.
    Many calls to GM, didn't seem to help. Guess i just got lucky that the dealer finally decided to just fix it. It seems like GM has very stringent constraints on their ability to do these things, replacing engines given it's such a wide spread issue w/the different size pistons that have been going in their engines. Apparently they changed how they handle this to help enable more volume builds but exposed to some variations which could turn into an engine burning lot's of oil, piston slap, etc.
  • kbelangerkbelanger Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Sarah

Thanks but after the shenanigans at the dealer and all the problems everyone is having with their engines in about every GM forum I decided to trade in the "normal" Yukon. When I asked the service manager about the overservicing of my vehicle he told me that I checked the oil wrong. He states, "You cannot check the oil when it has sat for an hour....due to the oil passages being so small....at this point I shut down. He suggested I run the truck to operatinb temp and then wait 15 minutes. Wouldn't you know it was the same level! Go figure. I then asked him what overservicing a vehicle could do to the engine. He states "No problem. These engines can operate with one qt of oil extra just fine without any problems." He even stated, "They are built to tight tolerances?" Really?? I almost thought I was talking to a janitor.

I guess that is why there is a big bold statement to the effect of "operating an engine with too much or too little oil can cause damage......" in the Operators Manual. The more I think about it they probably put thicker oil in there as well to skew the test even more.

It is because of the dealership and the numerous problems across the web concerning oil consumption problems that I traded my Yukon XL in for a 2012 Ford Expedition EL.

I guess I gave my "normal" oil consumption vehicle to someone else. I feel GM knows there is a problem and they are trying to band aid fix these vehicles; coupled with my local service department trying to "play me" it was time to say bye to the GM brand for good. To make matters worse I now have learned that there are a few others that have had the overservice trick done to them at the beginning of this "oil consumption" test. If anyone gets one thing out of this...CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND MARK IT (a small scratch works well) AND LET THE SERVICE MANAGER KNOW AND WITNESS IT. MIGHT EVEN WANT TO START NEW AT ANOTHER SERVICE DEPARTMENT.

From a once loyal 30 year hardcore GM owner....now a new Ford owner.

Kevin

BTW. As far as the door actuators as posted previously by another member: I replaced three separate door lock actuators and the last one was out when I traded the vehicle in. Also, the side body molding warps rather easily and starts to curl up and eventually starts debonding and cannot be fixed. It is a buy new, paint and replace item.

LASTLY. If anyone lives in the Fort Worth area avoid the GMC Service Department in Grapevine, TX.
  • plsfixmyyukonplsfixmyyukon Member Posts: 1
    Wow... glad I did a search on this problem. I am going through the same issue on my Yukon XL 07. I have been to the dealer once per month for the last 5-6 months over the oil light. What a nightmare. Got the 'ol run the consumption test, then put the deflector plate on it.. had to pay the $200 deductable for my extended insurance, then pow... 3 weeks later there is that light again. Called the dealer tonight and said bring it in tomorrow. Service mgr was obviously exasperated. Reality is that there is a known problem, the methods to remedy arent fixing the problem and GM knows it.

Sarah, how can I get this really fixed?
  • headgame01headgame01 Member Posts: 15
    plsfixmyyukon, I would try to get your $200 back. If your vehicle has under 100K of miles there should not be a charge for the drive train. If it is over 100K miles then GM wont cover anyways. It is a shame that we have all had to go through this. It took me 30-40 trips to the dealer with all the fixes they tried, they could have just put a new engine in and it would have been less expensive. I has the PVC replaced, clean the valve covers with a new deflector plate, then it was clean the valley, then replace the both heads, then after that replaced the Pistons, Rings, Rods and bearings. Hey finally it does not use but about 1qt every oil change which is about normal. Now I do not understand why this is a known issue and they require a good longer term GM buyer to waste so many trips in and use their gas and there time to fix something that would be so easy to just bring it in for one oil consumption test then if it fails, replace the engine.

I find it funny that GM actually told me that they could not be certain that if the engine was replaced that it would stop the oil usage issue. So funny. I guess they have no confidence in their engine department to make a good engine that does not use oil. Seems a little strange. GM is just waiting this out to get all these vehicle over 100 miles or 5 years which is this year (2012) then they will not have to worry about it.

I figure with all the extra oil I had to use and my time that I wasted coming in to the dealership, I spent about $5-7 K of my own money and lost time because of this issue. I wonder if a class action suit would get the engines replaced and quit wasting the GM customers time. But then the government owns them so what does it matter.
    I just hope everybody that reads this realizes you can make a difference in the future. I know I will...I will NEVER buy another GM product as long as I'm alive. My MANY years of driving Suburbans (Yukon XL, Yukon, Tahoes, etc.) since 1972 (often had 2 at a time...sort of the his/hers thing...is OVER! The USA should have NEVER bailed out ANY of the car companies!
    I hope your visit goes well today; if we can look into this further with you, please email socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    headgame01,

I'm sorry to hear about the drawn-out repair process you have been through; I'm sure that that wasn't convenient and got frustrating for you. It looks as though after all of the work that has gone in to your Yukon that the oil consumption concern you had had was resolved? How is everything running?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    Wow, why did I think maybe just maybe my 2007 Tahoe with 46,000 miles would not start to use oil like all these other people are going through. Well it has now I guess I will have to fight with Gm to get this problem fixed. This is just going to be a big hassle and a big waste of time.
    rjt427,

Have you had an oil consumption test done on your Tahoe at this point? If you decided to work with us, this would be the first step in our process of determining what's going on with your Tahoe.

We're happy to work with you through this process, as well. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • thirstyyukonthirstyyukon Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my 2008 Yukon 5.3L (with 79,000 miles) began misfiring, and "service traction control" and "service stabilitrak" popped up on dash. I immediately limped over to my dealer. The car was definitely misfiring and shifting very hard. After 3 days (4 hours of diagnosis)???, the dealer explained that I was down 4 quarts of oil (within 3,000 miles), and claimes that they need to replace the deflector plate and de-carbonize the engine at a cost of $1,200. First of all, how is this not covered under the 100,000 mile warranty??? and how does oil consumption have anything to do with stabilitrak and traction control? I feel like I'm getting ripped off, and I'm in for a lot more headaches and wasted trips to the dealer. Can anyone shed some light on this?. Thanks.
    Good morning thirstyyukon,

Below my signature, I have included a list of covered components for the 2008 GMC warranty. We'd be happy to look into this situation further with you if you wanted to send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service

Engine: Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case: Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems: Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.
  • able29luisable29luis Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Yukon is doing the same thing. I took it and they did some work on the engine while I had just passed my manufacture warranty by one month. Good thing is that they still goodwill the job and was not charged. Great huhn? Not really because months later it still did the same thing, burned about 2 qts. in 2000 miles. Then I found out that it is a three step process in which the first two never fixes the issue until the third comes along. The change of the pistons and a little tweak here and there. Now they want me to pay half on step two. The average of this job comes to be around $6000. It will cost me $3000 to have the same issue in months this should be a recall on the engine. I have called GMC customer service but they have yet to return my call. I have two GMC vehicles and this issue is making me look into other manufactures for future purchase in cars. The sad thing is that I a only 28 years old. I have a lot of cars to purchase in my life to come. Hopefully:,)
    able29luis,
    I'm sorry that you had not received a call back from us at the time of your post; were you assigned a case number? We can check into this if you were to send the Service Request Number (71-**********) or the last 8 of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • GM_BlaineGM_Blaine Member Posts: 3
    If it has the 5.3L V-8 you are certianly not alone. My 2008 did it after just 52,000 miles. GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem and kept sening me back for oil changes. After i threatened legal action they replaced all pistons, connecting rods and rings. They know about the problem, they just know that the cost to correct would break them.

I've since advised all of my colleagues and extended family to avoide GM products. We've always been only a GM family. We've purchased 3 brand new our selves and our relative have purchased many more. Venture, Aveo, Uplander, Cobalt, Saturn just in the past few years! That's over and GM can do as McCain once suggested, "Blame yourself!"
  • able29luisable29luis Member Posts: 2
    Since around November, I have been having this oil consumption issue and had worked done to my GMC Yukon. It has been worked on once and my next job will cost me a lot. I've talked with GMC personnel but they have been extending this issue too long. I wonder if it is to find a way to neglect paying or assisting me with this big problem and headache this oil burning issue has given me.

They are calling me every other day to keep me up to date, but it should not be dragged this long. What should I do next? Anyone have any good advise?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    Not sure what the scope of GMC's participation is, but you could try the BBB Auto Line. Or try your local consumer protection agency or lemon lawyer. It's nice that GM went to bat for you when you took this problem to the dealer a month after the warranty expired but it doesn't sound like they fixed it.

$3,000 would go a long way toward getting a crate engine installed.
  • smar1smar1 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the long list of others with 2007 Yukon XL oil consumption problems. It started at the 30,000 mile mark and since then I have been through 3 oil consumption tests and three rounds of extension mechanical fixes per the GM specs and its still not resolved. I contacted GM customer service and was assigned a case number but all that did was put a rep on the case who called me and the dealer to monitor progress of the attempts to fix it. They declined my only request - which was to extend my warranty in light of the fact that I now have 68,000 miles on the engine and the 5 yr warranty period expires in July 2012. Its going to be tough for me to buy another GM vehicle.
  • pbhoopbhoo Member Posts: 2
    Question for the group...bought a new 2012 Yukon XL and took it to the dealer for it's first oil change. Afterwards (noticed this about a month later - my wife drives this truck) that the oil pressure jumps from 20s to 60+ when I give the truck gas. Harder throttles result in larger jumps...needle moves very quickly then goes back to the 40 range. Is this normal or has anyone else had this issue? Every car/truck I've had in the past the oil pressure never moves, regardless of RPM.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    The oil pump is directly driven by the crankshaft, so the faster the engine is runnng, the more oil is being pumped. (higher pressure) Industry guidlines typically call for approximately 10PSI per 1000 rpm. So essentially at idle, anything over 10PSI is additional capacity for the lubrication system. Keep in mind, gages like the one on your dash can have some variance in what they appear to read but your description of the gages operation sounds perfectly normal. Do be sure to always use an oil that meets the dexos1 specification oil with your truck. Your invoice shoud reflect that this is the oil that was used.
    So here I am again, 1800 miles since my oil change. Oil light is on again. We have done two of the update bulletins through GM through the service department. This has been going on for two years and 20,000 miles. I am beyond frustrated. You would think at some point in time GM would just authorize the engine to be done. I have the extended warranty through GM-that is what is the classic part! And I still can't get the engine replaced!!!
  • bigmakbigmak Member Posts: 3
    Looks like I am not alone in having oil consumption issues with my truck! Wish I would have visited this forum before my purchase. 3rd time in for my truck. Guess they installed oil deflector and cleaned the carbon out. Hopefully this will work.