Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Would you buy your vehicle again?

2»

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    My old 80 Accord sedan was in remarkably good shape inside in 1987 when we parted ways with the exception of the driver's seat which, while it was still comfortable, looked like hell. No cracks in the vinyl or anything. The frame was getting rust at that point. It had been on a barrier island full time its last four years.

It was a great car for its time. It's the car that turned me into a Honda fanatic. It's predecessor was an 80 Rabbit which explains a lot.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "Most of the time I could steer around it by applying opposite lock..."

How the heck did you do that?
  • 32333233 Member Posts: 21
    My 2000 E320 has run flawlessly for the past five years. It's the last of the "boxy" MBs and has an enormous backseat for a mid size car. It also gives you a feel for the road, with light but informative steering if you know what I mean, that has been lost by a lot of new luxury cars. And best of all it is ~500 pounds lighter than comparable new luxury cars. Thus the 220 hp V6 can get it hustling, and it can go around a corner reasonably fast. Best of all it would only cost me ~8500 for a similar car. Maybe 1500 more for the V8 :shades:
  • 26cars26cars Member Posts: 19
    As my user name says, this is my 26th car: 2010 Subaru Forester X Premium. Does everything it's asked to do, and them some. Decent light-duty tow vehicle, great utility if you lug a lot of stuff. Decent, not great, gas mileage (24/28). 12K miles with no problems other than rattles in both front doors which I had dealer fix (loose baffles).
    Have owned Chevy, Olds, Mercury, Ford, Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, Honda, Mazda, all had strong & weak points.
    Have owned 1 VW (2000 Passat) and that is the one I would never have bought if I knew what a unreliable piece of c**p it would turn out to be!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I also own a W210, and for what they go for today, I'd take the risk and buy another. They aren't without their issues - inconsistent rust prevention especially in early models, passing electrical issues, etc...but they have aged very well, and are bargains on the used market if the car has been treated properly. I do prefer the looks to the W211, which in my eyes is more feminine...the W210 is more oldfashioned and straightforward. I have the AMG model...average ones can be had for 12K or so, and really nice ones should be able to be bought for around 15K. Lots of performance car bang for the buck..comfortable, highly equipped, reasonably efficient for the size and power, rare, fast (steering is a little numb, but it's an old MB, deal with it)...it's hard to beat.
  • kdg2kdg2 Member Posts: 1
    My new (5 month) 2011 BMW X5 is parked on my driveway in -20 C below zero and I discovered that the glass was fragmented on the front passenger side window. Has anyone else had this problem? There was no sign of a break in and the alarm did not go off. BMW will take no responsibility for the repair.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    -20 C is not that cold, 4 degrees Farenheit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited January 2011
    -4 F, MINUS 4 Fahrenheit.

Seems fairly cold to me, but I know that' just another winter's day for you folks in New England and the frigid north. ;-)

I would pretty much buy my car again, BTW. '09 Subaru Outback Sport, great cruising and canyon car, I just passed the 20K mile mark. The only significant downside is the totally crappy fuel economy. We will see if gas goes past $4/gal this summer......might be parking it for a while (!!)........if they made a hybrid or diesel version, I would pay the extra bucks for it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    What kind of mileage? I'm getting about 27mpg with my 07' 5-spd hatch which is expected. But I do about 90% highway as well...

Usually I'm getting 30-31 in the warmer months.

Getting ready to hit 65k and ready for my first set of brakes on all corners. Other than that and a rattling gearbox, the thing runs like a champ. Goes thru the snow really well too. Even with th 10-15" we are expecting tomorrow, I have no fear that my Scooby will get stuck.
    The mileage is always 27-28, and the only time I pull 30-31 is on all-highway trips. Not unexpected based on the EPA estimates, but more onerous every time the price of gas rises, which is ALL the time since last spring.
    I can live with it, but since the topic is "would you buy another" I thought I would mention that I would only buy another if they offered a powertrain that could deliver high 30s, maybe 40 mpg.
    300 hp Audi Quattros make the same fuel economy as my little 2.5L Scooby....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yeah, but I imagine the cost of ownership of a 300 hp Audi Quattro would exceed that of your Subie by a considerable margin.
    it's in the 4 degree range, plus or minus 4 degrees. :)
    Wind and humidity can make a bigger difference in how it feels.
    Ye, that was just a reflection on what could be done if Subaru put some work into the powertrain.

The AWD RAV4, with 20 more horses and 500 more pounds plus a much higher profile, makes better mileage than my Subaru. So it can be done, and it can be done at this price point. Time for Subaru to do it. ;-)

edited January 2011
    It looks as though Subaru will do it. As you know, their boxer engine has been around for ever. It's gotten periodic upgrades, but not a redesign. I've read that Subaru will introduce an all-new boxer engine in the next few months. Among other attributes, it'll feature better fuel economy than the current one.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    We looked at a Forrester before we bought my wife's X3. It was a great car; the weak Subaru dealer service departments in Louisville helped sway us toward the X3. I'd still like a WRX STi Limited. :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I can't imagine owning a $40,000 STi and having to deal with pathetic and truly crappy Subaru dealers to get it serviced. ;-)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    That's the sticking point, all right. On top of that, our BMW dealer provides really excellent service at quite reasonable prices- so I'm reluctant to look elsewhere(especially after being burned by my Mazdaspeed 3).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

You should take a look at the latest 'Lightning Lap' results.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    In 2006 I bought a Ford Fusion SEL v6 with all the bells and whistles. I shopped the market for your everyday Camry/Accord. I even drove a Sonata/Optima. I shopped even VW. The Fusion at this time was different, and that is what I wanted. 65,000 miles later the Fusion has held up well, not one problem. I have changed the battery and tires. Brakes are coming up I am told. I have performed preventative maintenance on this car to a "T". Runs great. I would put this car against any 06 Camry/Accord any day.
This discussion has been closed.