Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 Subaru Outback Fuel Milage.. ???

dan_kochdan_koch Member Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in Subaru
Ive had my outback for a week now and i just ran my first tank of fuel out... and i have to say im not to happy with the results i figured it up to get 15mpg :S it has a 2.5 auto, what is everyone else getting does this sound right?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That sounds very low.

Are you in an extremely cold climate? Very short drives where the engine doesn't get a chance to heat up? City traffic?

All those factors would lower your mileage, but I'd expect more like 18-25mpg for yours.

Is it running well otherwise? Any drivetrain noises? Did you check tire pressure? Something must be off.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Probaby the real issue is that it's a brand new vehicle. You have to allow for break in.

In 2-3 months, the fuel economy will improve.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subject says 96, I think he/she meant "new to me used vehicle".
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    That's what I saw as well. I suspect that if the factors suggested by AJ above are not applicable, then it likely has some needs (basic maintenance) such as dirty fuel injectors, weak spark, fouled oxygen sensors, etc. The mileage on my '96 Outback was pretty steady in the mid-to-upper 20s for several years (bought it at 83,000), but the mileage began tapering off after about 150,000 miles to lower 20s in the summer and mid-teens in the winter. I kept up on the fuel and spark systems, but the oxygen sensors were original.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.