Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

high revs during start up 2010 legacy

storkingtonstorkington Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Subaru
Just got the new legacy 2.5 premium. noticing that starting in the morning the engine will rev to about 2000 rpm for 10-15 sec. then settle down to about 1000. called dealer he said this was normal for the prev engine and to tap the throttle to bring it down to normal range. any thought on this question would be helpful

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Should be OK during warm up. 2000rpm is the max.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    My 2010 PZEV Forester goes to just a hair over 1500 when started then drops to 1500 almost immediately.
  • storkingtonstorkington Member Posts: 3
    Ok, First off sorry its a PZEV egine. Its the wifes car so I only get to it on the weekends. But it will rev to 1800rpm and stay for up to 30sec. but with a tap of the throttle ( and i do mean even a very slight tap) it will drop to 1000rpm. The dealer said it had to do with the super low emmissions and the engine runnin lean during start up.
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Our 2009 Legacy Limited (PZEV) does the same. We generally don't tap the throttle to lower the RPM, though. It tends to get into lower RPM in about 30 seconds. Slightly longer if it is colder. I actually like it, since it's kind of like a "hey, I'm warmed up, drive me now" signal.
  • storkingtonstorkington Member Posts: 3
    My concern is that a high reving engine during start-up is a potential problem since the oil is cold also. Granted i dont know these boxer engines well yet, but it has me thinkin that i may want to run a synthetic oil to possibly help with wear. We are not jump in and drive people either and a 1min warm up is the norm for us, longer in the winter. But we do tap the throttle as soon as it starts to bring the rpms down.
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Don't be worry, it is normal.
This discussion has been closed.