Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M37

Comments

• ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone noticed that the Infiniti floor mats wilth the wheat interior on the M37 really don't even come close to matching the carpeting???
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    edited July 2010
    OK I have my M37 Sport Touting for a week and 400 miles so I figured I would write my first overall impressions with the car. First it is one sexy machine, the Infiniti
    styling is very appealing to me the fluid lines and curves are just very sexy. True the M37 looks like a G37 on steroids, but one thing I have always liked about Infiniti is how most of their vehicles have a strong family resemblance. Coming from Acura TLs last few years Acura is only now realizing they need a brand identity that shows in their cars, of course they elected to use that ugly beak as the identity thus turning off some owners and potential buyers. I just came out of a 09 TL SH-AWD, which aside from its looks was an awesome car, great ride and handling, stuck in the turns and you never felt like you were not in full control. The M37S is clearly targeting the luxury buyer
    that wants a sporty ride.

Let me start with the exterior. I already mentioned how I love the styling. The bulging shoulder line may be a little over stated for me (a la Maxima) where I prefer the more rounded G37 lines, but I am just being nit picky. The car looks awesome from every angle. The nose fo the car is more aggressive and in your face that the G because the grille is larger, more rectangular and my upright. The Sport grill is midnight chrome with blacked out headlights and a Sport fascia really giving a "I'm here and I mean business" look to it. The side profile is very Infiniti with a fluid flow across the roof line and sweeping down the back window to a signature tail. Again since this car is larger in all dimensions than a G some of the lines are not as fluid (we don't want an oval gen Taurus now do we). The tail forgoes the traditional Infiniti round tail lamp styling for a more rectangular double semi-oval design that I feel fits the flow of the cars larger size better. The Sport 20 inch wheels make this car. The larger split thick forked wheels with short profile tires fit the wheel wells perfectly and add to the look that the sport fascia creates and sets the Sport miles apart form the very basic plain (yet still very attractive) looking base M.

On the to the Interior. There have been a few reviews that some of the buttons and switches and door handles feel a little plasticy and cheap. I would have to partially agree. Some of the buttons feel a little light weight and slightly cheap, but have you been in a Genesis where those cheapo buttons really distract form the car. The M door handles should have been metal or at least feel like real metal with some substance, but again this is not as big a distraction as it is a Genesis. The M buttons at least look like they belong in a $50K + car, unlike the Genesis where they look like a cheap after thought. While I did not own a previous gen M I have ridden in them and while the previous M interior was nice, this one is a very sculptured and flowing design. The dash materials are soft well assembled. The M is first a luxury car and the Sport model adds a hint of Sport and in my opinion. I would not call it a true Sports Sedan. The Sport seats are very comfortable but lack any substantial bolstering that would keep you in place for any serious cornering, which is sad because a true Sport seat would allow you to "Drive" the car and feel the handling of the car, not fight gravities effects on your body in
    turns. I also find the steering wheel in the Sport a little large in diameter and thin. Take an inch or more off the diameter and thicken the wheel by 50% and you have a real sporty steering wheel. Again it is very clear that Infiniti's design goal was primarily a luxury more upscale goal with sport themes. The cabin is large and inviting and has plenty of room for both front and aft passengers. The quality of the leather is excellent, but for a car touching upward of $60K I felt myself yearning for something a little more sumptuous. Also Infiniti leather is notorious for showing wear and tear more quickly than the competitors and I expect the same from the new M. Sure it feels better than the MB Tex and the vinyl feeling leather in the German cars, but in a $60K car I want leather that will still look reasonably well in 2-3 years. Also the padding on the arm rests could be a tad more softer and more giving as well as the upper doors where many people wind up leaning their elbows. The Deluxe Touring leather is supposed to be a step up, but the Sport Touring is the same as the basic leather. Speaking of the Sport Touring package the $2K premium (on top of the $3650 Sport uplift) basically only buys you the upgraded 5.1 sound system and the "Forest Air" climate control system. I feel that is a far stretch to justify a $2K uplift, but if you are like me and yearn for the best
    sound you can get in a car then you may opt for the uplift. Speaking of the sound system, well the Bose system in the Touring package gains you some speakers, 5.1, DVD playback and a larger sub woofer. I have never been a fan of Bose and to me it is one of Infiniti's biggest weaknesses. While it is an acceptable sound system it lacking in many areas. Lows are muddy and undefined and the sound stage in the car feels too flat. and while this is up for debate the forward biased sound stage is more natural it tends to be distracting and takes away form the rear biased lows. Where it does tend to deliver is in the mid to high ranges where the sound is crisp and clean, but again not very rich or full. The car does have a USB port for a IPOD, MP3 player or thumb drive, but the port is in the center console mid way up the front side meaning if you plug in a cable or thumb drive and put stuff in the center console it severely impacts your space and you run the risk of damaging the USB port, very port placement by Infiniti. They should have used a cable instead of a port so you can lay down whatever device you plug in.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    edited July 2010
    Some notes about the technology. I wish I could have gotten the technology package as it offers some fantastic options to make your drive a safer one. The technology that does exists in the M37 Sport Touring is rather basic. You get your Infiniti navigation system which finally is not totally locked out while moving, but still fairly lame. The nag disclaimer is gone so when you start the car you can use everything without acknowledging that your are a grown adult and responsible for your own actions. Coming form 6 years of Acura navigation and voice activated controls, I can say this, OMG do I miss my Acura Navigation! The Infiniti display is more friendly and can display combinations of things (nav and climate, nav an MPG, radio and MPG, radio and climate, etc) on a split view and the nav can do 2D or bird's eye view. In the end I find the new input controller a nice evolution form the previous arrows only, but it is way too sensitive, barely touch the controller while on the map and it goes flying across the screen regardless of how zoomed in you are. Infiniti's voice activated controls are primitive at best and are in the stone ages for anyone coming form a Honda/Acura system. Another annoyance is that if I adjust my seat or mirrors while driving I can not save them in the memory presets unless the car in in park. Come on Infiniti, if I am on a long drive and finally get my settings perfect I ant to save them then and there, not have to remember an hour later when I pull into a rest stop or loose them if I lock and reopen the car with the remote! And one last minor pet peeve is what is it with the generic day/night home link mirror. Look at any aged Infiniti and you'll seem those home link buttons
    worn off. Put the Home link button in the head liner near the map lights, where it belongs instead of making me reach and misalign my mirror all the time.

And how about the ride... Well onto what you buy a car for, to drive. Well the Infinit VQ engine is still a magnificent work or engineering. Smooth and silky yet spools up on demand to bring the car to life. The large foot print of the M is not going to have you mistaking it for a BMW 3, but that is not their target audience. They want BMW 5 owners. Having never driven a 5 Series Bimmer I can't tell you if they have hit the mark, but I can tell you the M37 Sport delivers a great balance of smooth driving on decent to good roads yet can maneuver well. The 20 inch wheels and low profile tires make for very responsive steering. What is lacking is a real on center feel and as with many eclectic power steering systems today a real lack of decent road feed back or weight to the steering. The steering feels too over boosted and all speeds, being far to light at low speeds and marginally acceptable at highway speeds. The car has a 4 position control for the selecting the throttle and shift points they should add steering feedback to those settings with standard being less boosted than it is currently, and sport should be very minimal boosting. The Sport package adds Infiniti's 4 wheels active steering which changes the rear wheel angle slightly to provide better stability in hard or sharp corning. I did not push a base car so I can't tell you how different the steering alone improves the dynamic, because the sport suspension and larger wheels alone transform the base car. I will say I can throw the M into turns fairly confidently and if not for the lacking sport seats I would feel even more confident in the cars abilities. The 7 speed auto gets mixed reviews and I know Infiniti has struggled with throttle response and shift points since going fly by wire and introducing the 7 speed auto, but I believe they really have it figured out now. Sure it can use a little tweaking, but if you ever drove the early 2007 G or the first 7 speed auto G's you will appreciate the work their engineers have done for the M. The shifting in the M is smooth and unnoticeably. If
    I am not watching the tach I really can't tell when it is shifting. The VQ loves to rev and Infiniti's biggest obstacle prior tot he 7 speed auto was the engines high revs on the highway, well the 7 speed has resolved that issue. At 75MPH the car is only spinning at around 2500 RPM and is quiet. The 20 inch wheels do introduce a bit or road noise at highway speeds and the M could use some more sound deadening materials. Coming form a SH-AWD TL will take a bit of getting used to as that car felt extremely planted on the road and could be whipped into turns effortlessly to the point that the tires would scream for mercy. The M feels a tad more lean into the turns, but much of that I attribute to the lacking Sport seats, put some real seats on this ride and I suspect with the 4 wheel steering and 20 inch tires this baby will stick like glue around sharp turns.

Overall impression? Well I would not have gotten the M37 Sport if I didn't think I would love it. Sure my review is a bit harsh in areas, but when you step into a car that can go for well over $60K (and darn close to it well equipped) you expect a lot. After all you are firmly in the company of some very impressive cars (BMw5, MB E, Audi A6, etc). Infiniti's overall fit and finish seems excellent on this car, but I have always thought their cars lacks the thud and tight feel when you close the doors of some of their competitors. The new M does improve greatly the car feels solid and the doors close with a better sense of the car feeling substantial. The M is fairly early in the production cycle so natural fit and finish issues will pop up. I find that under even low moderate bass both front doors in my M seems ot have occasional buzzes. I find that if you are going to put a high end sound system in a vehicle you should have your engineers really test interior tightness under some extreme tests. I found this to be a hug issue with the previous gen TL that Acura finally mostly resolved in the 09+ TL, I never heard a peep out of the interior under any types of music, base or volume, over 17 months and 19K miles. Kudos to Acura engineers, now Infiniti, go steel them and fix your interior. In the end the M37 S is a joy to drive, it is clearly geared toward being a cruiser first and sport sedan second, but will deliver when asked to.
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    Yes! I did get an M37...Malbec w/ Wheat Interior...got the dealer to give me a set of black mats...they appear cleaner longer!
  • biensterbienster Member Posts: 23
    In April I took delivery of a new M-37 sedan. It was our fifth Infiniti and probably our last. We currently have a 2006 M-35 sedan and I am shocked and saddened by how many items contained in that car have been removed from the 2011 even though the price is nearly $10,000 more. There is no doubt that the car is far more sexy, but that is not why I buy a car at this price level. At this price level Infiniti should not be thinking like a Hyundai Elantra.
    Let's start with the obvious! They took the compass out of the mirror if you have the navigation system and replaced it with a compass half the size of a dime. Totally worthless. They took out the split, adjustable armrest between the front seats and replaced it with a short, non adjustable one which is very uncomfortable. They took out the extendable double sun visors and replaced those with a cheap sliding visor. While every manufacturer is adding some sort of a side turning signal indicator, Infiniti took theirs out. They moved the tracking headlights into a much higher price group containing many things a lot of people don't want, but added a standard heated steering wheel; just what I need in Florida. They also removed the key fob slot in the dash which doubled as a safety if the key fob battery failed. I don't know what they were thinking there. Lastly, while the navigation system is easier to use, it is several years out of date with roads in my area. While I know where I am going going locally, it leaves me a sense of distrust if I travel out of my area,
    1. Where's the compass that says N,S,E,W?
    2. Where's voice activated "Destination Phone Number"?
    3. Still a noisy (wheel noise) car past 40mph...quieter than my '07 M35 at lower speeds.
    4. Does not "corner " as well.
    5. Should jave at least included BLIS lights as in the Volvo at this price
    I've driven a 2006, a 2008 and now a 2011 M35/37. Overall the car has improved. The 2008 navigation system was the worst and the new one is less intrusive....not sure it's necessary to hack it like you absolutely had to do on the 2006 and 2008. I don't miss the ability to change the passenger temperature by voice command that was on the 2006....silly stuff. The 2011 is quieter than both of the previous M's but the tire noise is more intrusive so I guess it's a trade off....at least they aren't the terrible tires that they put on the earlier M's. The car seems faster, the upshifts smoother but the downshifts (especially if you floor it to pass someone on the interstate) is almost unsafe...you think the car is going to stall because of the lag in response. Once you know about it, you adjust, but the first time it's scary. I do miss the moving headlights...I didn't know any of the cars had a compass....well of course I did, but I never used it because I've always had nav. The 2011 has foldable mirrors...for what it's worth. Also standard is adjustable transmission curves (economy, normal, sports) and there is a very noticeable difference in them which is fun, if nothing else. I miss the little phone holder built into the earlier M's which I used for business cards....and the center console is smaller and further back which makes it more difficult to get to if you're driving. New seats are really cooler than the old....they now have their own A/C of some sort and it does work. Doors lock automatically when you drive off on the 2011...that's new. They also unlock when you turn off the car...nice. I don't know why Nissan doesn't have a chime or some other annoyance if you don't fasten your seat belet....no M had it and it still isn't there. Finally, I believe that all cars use the same navigation database, and the maps are not the lastest....what can I say...don't visit anyone who lives on a new road :).
    The "sunglass holder" is a joke!!! It is not as deep as the '07 and my glasses keep getting jammed in there!
    yes, but in the 2007, the sunglasses got so hot they would melt if you were in Florida.....so larger wasn't necessarily more useful
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

2021 Genesis G90

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    I've read, with extreme interest, the many, many comments about the new M37, both here in the Forum, and also in the "ratings" section. I had seriously thought about trading my Mercedes in for a new M37 w/Deluxe Touring, Premium Pkg, and splash guards, MSRP around 55K. But after all the comments about the new vehicle, and after two test drives, I won't be trading my Benz in for an M37. Some comments that stuck with me had to do with fit and finish of the vehicle, harsh ride and handling, and problems with Blue Tooth, navigation that won't operate while you are driving (Benz works if you use voice command option), and paint.

After driving the M37 at two different dealerships, I found those comments to be correct. Both test vehicles had orange peel paint (especially the new black color with the java interior), you cannot enter navigation destinations while driving, even if voice command is selected, blue tooth is very hard to understand coming out of the speakers (and I tried two different cell phones, and both had problems), center console is very uncomfortable, ride is extremely harsh and stiff (my back ached after both test drives due to the harshness of the ride and handling and the seat design), etc.

The acceleration was outstanding and trunk capacity most acceptable. However, when I compare the M37 to my Mercedes E350 (2010), the Mercedes is far superior in almost every imaginable way. The only major plus for the M37 is the acceleration.

I found the M37 7 speed transmission to be sluggish and it had difficulty settling in on an appropriate gear as I slowed and/or accelerated.

I am not writing this to tear down the Infiniti and tout the E350 over the M. The Infiniti is, in general, quite a vehicle, however when you compare pricing, the Mercedes out the door cost is almost identical to the M37, both MSRP for about 55K. And, taking that into consideration, my choice is to keep my current vehicle.

2021 Genesis G90

My wife and I have been Infiniti owners since my 2003 G-35 (6MT) sedan. In 2004 my wife added an FX-35 to our garage. In 2006 she traded to an M-35 for her FX. In 2007 I traded my G-35 for another G-35s, also with the 6-MT. So far all the cars have been just spectacular. In April 2007 I found myself unable to handle a standard shift in traffic any more due to physical limitations and traded for an M-37. There is very little this car does that pleases me.

For a little over $10,000 more than our 2006 M-35, Infiniti seems to have engaged in a contest to see how much they could take out of the new car rather than how much they could put in. The first thing I noticed was that the compass was missing from the rearview mirror. The only compass the car has is a very small one (about 45% the size of a dime) on the map page of the navigation system. If any other page is displayed, there is no compass. Even when the compass is displayed it is a major distraction to see and interpret it.

The split front armrest between the driver's and front passenger's seat has also been removed and replaced by a solid one which is not adjustable like the prior model's.

The fully redundant sun visors of the previous model have also been removed and replaced by a Hyundai type sliding visor with no extension.

While everybody is adding some sort of side turning indicator, Infiniti chose to remove it from the new M. They also took out the magnetic induction port for the key fob that allowed the car to be started with a totally dead key fob battery. Now, if the battery fails without warning the only option is to call their toll free number for service.

While they did not totally remove the auto tracking headlights, they did remove them from the Journey package and place them in a way more expensive package.

While Infiniti claims their navigation system is one of the best, it is more than 5 years out of date on several roads in my home area. While that is not critical in local driving, it certainly undermines my confidence in trusting it in areas that are unfamiliar to me. Is it really unreasonable to expect an almost $2000.00 navigation system to be as current as a $200.00 portable system that provides both free updates and free traffic for life? Updates cost as much as a totally new portable system! Updating the Gracenote music box system is an exercise in frustration!

The paint quality is not great and the color choices are even worse. Compared to all my previous Infiniti experiences, this is a total letdown. Had I not relied so heavily on past positive experiences I would never have gotten this vehicle. After 5 Infinit's, thjis may very well be my last.
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Tell me about the paint issue mentioned. I feel one does not need a navigation system as most smart phones have good GPS systems. I loved the M37 drive except for the eco-mode. Believe one can negotiate a great price compared to BMW 5 series and E350.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Some of the comments I find understandable but some are not. In regards to the navigation, yes, it is true that Infiniti locks you out of about 50-60% of what you could do if your were parked, but you can at least delete a destination and do certain things, like look up local stores, restaurants, etc while still in motion. Its a heck of a lot better than Lexus which locks you out of 100% while in motion. One thing the Infiniti nav system has over others is it is very simple and easy to learn and use compared to other manufacturers.

In regards to the ride quality, it is only harsh if you get the sport package. I found that with the regular suspension it was quite comfortable, maybe not Lexus soft, but on par with the BMW and Audi suspension considering its finally got Michelin OEM tires on there where as the latter two don't.

Not sure what people are complaining about on fit and finish. This interior is the nicest and best Infiniti has ever had and every professional car review I have read thus far on the new M has always praised its fit/finish and interior.

He is another key fact about the intelligent key people should be made aware of. If the battery is dead, there is a push button on the side to release a manual key from the back of it so that you can unlock the doors manually with the key and gain access to the car. As far as I know, there is a slot on the dash you then put the entire intelligent key into that allows the car to sense that the key is there and let you start the engine. This is to prevent you from being stranded if the battery in the key fob goes. I recommend every 2-3 years, going down to you local radio shack, supermarket, etc and just spend the $4 freakin bucks for a new battery for the thing.

I know it sounds like I am defending the M to a T, but it is not as bad as people are making it out to be. It's definitely an improvement over the last gen. It is completely on the level of a 5 Series or E-class, no, but some of these nit picking things could be avoided if people actually read reviews and research the car a little bit better before testing driving it.
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Despite alot of negative posts on the M37 I still am interested in this car. I test drove one a few weeks ago and liked the handling in the regular and sports mode. Did not feel comfortable in the eco-mode. I agree the handling and road noise is all dependent on the tires of the car.
    Not just the tires used but if you have the sport suspension or not. When it comes to Infiniti and ALL its models, having the sport suspension really firms up the ride to uncomfortable levels and makes for more road noise since they typically give bigger/noisier tires on the sport packages. When you test drive any of their vehicles, you need to make sure your not driving one that has a sports package on it if you value a smoother and more comfortable/less noisy ride.
  • houstondriverhoustondriver Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    I love the new Ms and am considering an M56. Also considering 550. Reliability is a big issue for me and I'm thinking the Infiniti would be better but can anyone comment. I have a GS430 and have not had a single problem in 95k miles. I'm thinking Infiniti would be similar. Any comments on the comparison or Infinity reliability in general would be appreciated.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    love the new Ms and am considering an M56. Also considering 550. Reliability is a big issue for me and I'm thinking the Infiniti would be better but can anyone comment

For 550, I think you need to go to Bimmerfest to find out what the owner's impression so far.. What I get out of it is not very positive for the new 5 series. Looks like most everyone get grinding noise from the steering wheel.. Previous BMW owner complain mightly about the steering feel (for us new owner, probably not too bad a trade off). And then there are a few scary random check engine light stuff... I think it is one of those car that will do better in the second year..
    I have a nearly 7 year old FX that has had no issues what so ever. It is built like a tank and feels like one as well. Overall, Infiniti is more reliable then the German 3, but it depends on the model when it comes to the Germans.

Other factor is, Infiniti one the ALG highest residual value award for 2011 so depreciation is at a minimum if you go with Infiniti. I say try them out, and if things don't work out, just go back to another make the next time around.
  • barnie100barnie100 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2011 M37x in June and agree with many of the first impressions noted, but was surprised to see no one complaining of unpredictable transmission performance. When I bring the car to a stop sometimes (maybe 50%) the car will jolt after full stop is achieved almost like being hit from the rear. When leaving from a stop, the transmission will sometimes (50%) hesitate. After leaving the car with the dealer for a day to investigate, they claimed this was normal. They claimed that California emission standards required the car to return to neutral after a full stop (the jolt). At take-off from the line, the hesitation is transmission finding the gear for acceleration. Now this so called "as designed" performance seemed wacky to me, especially since these apparent anomalies are inconsistent in behavior. I was wondering if you other M37 owners have experienced anything similar. If not, I think I need to be much firmer with dealer for corrective action.
  • jck4ujck4u Member Posts: 12
    I got a new M37 three months ago and love the car except for the transmission operation. The transmission often acts confused with shifts that can be hard especially going into third & fourth gears. Shifts are not consistent and this distracts from the driving experience. I am going back to dealer for first oil change and will have the tranny as my major issue. Maybe the ect can be programed with an update or fix if available.
    That is a legitimate complaint of the 7spd auto from what I have read online and from user. Infiniti has had some quirks with it since its introduction with hunting and pecking for gears. They are supposedly working on this with Mercedes right now and are to re-introduced a new and improve 7spd, first in the next gen G Sedan that is suppose to get rid of these hiccups!
    I just picked up my M37 with technology package tonight (I posted my deal in the leasing forum if someone is interested). After reading all the review I was hesitated to include technology package since most reviewer seems to think that it is a waste of money and make life miserable. But since the cost of going from Deluxe touring to technology is only about $25 or so a month for 36 month/12 k mi per year lease, I figure I can give it a try.. I drove home from the dealership in pretty heavy rain and most of the driving is in a 2 lane highway. I sure glad that I have the technology package. It is very hard to see the marker on the road and the warning light help me stay in the center of my lane.. And one of my problem in driving at night is the depth perception. When I change lane, I can never be sure if a nearby car is in the next lane or not. The blind spot warning system help a great deal. To me the technology package is worth every penny.
    I have about 17+G of music in MP3 format.. Instead of getting an IPOD and hook it up in the M37's USB port, I decide to use a USB flash drive. I bought a 32G Patriot XT Rage and download all my music folder into the USB drive, get a 6 inch USB extension cable.. And viola, the music play through the USB port without any issue. It take a while for the sound system to read the USB memory when I first start the car (about 1+ minutes) and it play the last music that I stop the car.. I am setting it up to play random mode. the sound quality is very good. So far, I like the features in the M37 a lot (Prem/Nav/Deluxe touring/Technology) and don't really miss my 08 LS460..
    There is a new software fix for the quirky transmission. I had the new
    'fix" done by the dealer on my new M37 last week and was pleased to find that the transmission shifting, searching for gear, etc. was much improved. It still does not shift as well as I would expect for a top line car like this but is now acceptable. The service guy said my car was the first to have the upgrade performed at the dealership and he expected a service bulletin to follow shortly.

Is this transmission manufactured by Mercedes? If true, still no excuse since MB should know how to design and mfg a quality auto tranny.

Other than the above issue, no problems and I love the car. So much cool electronic stuff that I am still learning new things. Engine is very strong and gas mileage is good for a car this size. Sharp looking car!!
    I have been fighting the transmission battle since April 21, 2010 when I took delivery of my 2011 M-37. After seeing this post I immediately called my Infiniti dealer who professes to not know anything about this issue. All I can say is Infiniti is starting to develope an extremely lousy attitude towards service issues as well as substantially de-contenting their cars. Even if they fix the lousy transmission I will never be really happy with my 2011 M-37 compared with my wife's 2006 M-35. The list of items removed from the 2011 M as compared with the 2006 is long!

Everyone is adding side marker/mirror turning signal indicators. Infiniti had them in 2006 and took them out for 2011. The adjustable, split center arm rest between the front seats has been removed and replaced with a single non-adjustable one. The double sun visors with an expansion piece have been removed and replaced with a Hyundai style single sliding adjustment type visor. The key fob holder built into the dash has been removed leaving the only remedy to a dead key fob battery as calling for emergency service. The auto tracking headlights have been moved into the technology package from the Journey package leaving most buyers without them. Lastly, the navigation system is years out of date, missing roads that show on 2003 AAA maps. I've received three seperate offers of updates only to discover that none exist. Each offer has specifically been directed to "Dear 2011 M-37 owner." They've also taken the compass out of the rear view mirror, forcing you to rely on the half the size of a dime compass which only appears when the map function of the navigation system is active.

The car looks beautiful and has a great ride (other than the transmission). This is no way to build a premium car and certainly no way to treat a loyal premium car buyer. This is my fifth and last Infiniti.
  • bobbyzjrbobbyzjr Member Posts: 15
    I bought my m37 sport last july and have EXACTLY the same problem as you. The hesitation is downright dangerous!! I slow down to take a corner and hit the throttle only to have the car lag and hesitate so bad that people almost bump into the back of me. The DEALER also says the same thing to me. They tell me over and over that it is the way its supposed to be.

I think we should all get together and seriously consider a "class action lawsuit" against infiniti for "false advertising". When I first test drove the car, I noticed some hesitation and they said the computer just needs to get used to my driving style and then after 2000 miles It will all be great!! It was a lie and I recently contacted a lawyer that is having me send him all the service reports I have along with a copy of my lease agreement.

If you're interested in getting involved please let me know...
    What is the name of this new software fix for the M37??? My dealer seems to know nothing about it as of today, January 21st 2011...

DOES IT HELP WITH the HESITATION????

Can you please let me know.

thank you.
  • littlejoe613littlejoe613 Member Posts: 53
    Good Luck with that one...My wife drives a 2011 M37 with the 7 speed transmission. It's smooth as silk in shifting even when driving aggressively. I can't understand what was falsely advertised. I beleive there are alot of people who dont understand adaptive transmissions. All the professionals who have tested it, like the cars driving charecteristics, handling and performance. I could tell that the shift points were different during our first test drive but that should be expected since it now has 7 gears. But being described as quirky is far from the right term to describe it.
  • bhreesbhrees Member Posts: 4
    road noise over 55 is a bit too loud for me, but im not replacing the tires anytime soon.
    I also have a noise when i go over bumps i hear a tap / knock sound from the from of the dash like something hitting the window. Has anyone else heard this noise?

I'll be taking it in for a look soon
    Help!!!!

The transmission in my 2011 M-37 has experienced, at one time or another, every complaint listed in the long string of postings concering transmission issues. As of 6:15 PM on 01/24/2011 my service "advisor" says that the service "manager" cannot locate any service bulletin or advisory concerning this issue.

Can anyone who has had their transmission problems corrected please ask their dealer for the service bulletin number so I can give it to my dealer. I hardly drive this car because I find it so unpleasant to deal with the transmission issues. We tend to defer in favor of our 2006 M-35 which in four years, nine months has not had a single issue.

Thanks for your help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    edited January 2011
    Since I'm not an owner, I can't provide that for you... but in the mean time, you might check here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html
    to see if anything comes up.

Also try safecar.gov

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

There no longer is a slot in the dash to insert your key fob in case it's battery has suddenly failed. Your only remedy is to either call Infiniti service or your spouse and get the second fob. Removal of that slot was part of a massive de-contenting of the M series by Infiniti.
  • littlejoe613littlejoe613 Member Posts: 53
    Thats 100 percent false....the slot is no longer needed since now all you have to do is hold the fob next to the start/stop button in order for the system to read it. Much easier process. The 2011 has more upgraded useful features than the 2010. Its not "de-contented" if thats even a word. Gotta get it right before you post.....
    bobbyzjr, I do not know the name of the new software to "fix" the transmission problem. My dealer, Roswsell Infiniti in Alpharetta, GA, did not have a fix at first. In fact, they drove the car and said it was shifting normally. Wrong!! But, the next day my service manager, Jamie, talked with one of the Infiniti technical service managers and was told that there was a new software fix that should improve the tranny performance. The next week, I went in to the dealer, had the "fix" downloaded and was pleased to see that the transmission operation was improved. But, I am still not pleased with the performance as compared to my old 2006 M35 and other luxury cars I have driven but not sure what else I can do right now. It did help with the hestitation but did not eliminate it.

I love almost everything about the car except the transmission. As a loaner, the dealer gave me a G37 which shifted much better than my car. Don't know why since the service manager said both cars have the same transmission. Go figure.

But, I am not through with this issue. I plan to continue pressure on the dealer regarding the transmission and maybe they will finally come up with a good answer. If they have to replace the transmission to finally fix the problem, then just do it. It beats tarnishing the image of the brand.

Good luck with the follow up with your dealer. If my dealer could get a new software update yours can also.
    But, I am not through with this issue. I plan to continue pressure on the dealer regarding the transmission and maybe they will finally come up with a good answer. If they have to replace the transmission to finally fix the problem, then just do it. It beats tarnishing the image of the brand.

Huh? what can the dealer do with this problem after the new transmission fix? It is a design problem and not a defect on a particular transmission.. So if by miracle infiniti willing to pay for a new transmission, you get the same problem again... How does it help?
    I think what he means is, that if the battery was to go in the intelligent key, there is no longer a slot under the dash to put the whole device into so that you can still start the car, but I'm sure Infiniti has thought of that. Just because the battery in the intelligent key might go does not mean the sensor that detects the key in the car is dead and it should still be able to detect the intelligent key. ???

I'm not sure, I know my 10 Maxima still has the slot in the dash to put the intelligent key if you need too
    According to my dealer, just hold the key next to the ignition "button" and it will do what the slot used to do...I have an M37 and that's what I'm told...

On another point, they just did a NAV update and we no longer have FM traffic...that button disappeared on the screen and you have to get XM (satellite) to get traffic
    Well, topgun, maybe it is completely a design problem and a new transmission would do nothing except present the same old issue. But, how do you explain the posting by littlejoe 613 which says that the transmission on his M37 shifts "as smooth as silk"? Plus, I had the opportunity to drive a 2008 G37 coupe last week that, according to the dealer, has the same transmission as the M37. The coupe transmission shifted very smoothly and consistantly. If my car shifted like that, I would have no complaint.

My opinion at this point is that there is some sort of design or quality problem which presents itself in many, but not all, of the transmissions. Or, perhaps Infiniti changed the 7 speed on the new M37 for some reason and it has not worked out well. I think that Infiniti probably just hopes it will go away or that we will finally accept that this is "normal" operation. It's not, and something should be done.

Even though my car's transmission has improved with the software update, it is still not where it should be and detracts from the driving experience since I am always evaluating the shifting. I am thinking that we might have been among the unlucky buyers that got one of the "bad" transmission. If you get a fix, please post the information.

Good luck.
    While the G-37 and the M-37 have the same transmissions, they do not have the same transmission mapping programs. The original program on the G-37 experienced much the same problems. Infiniti has totally revised that program and installed the revision in all newer models and for those people who complained.

Due to the weight difference and performance variences between the G-37 and the M-37 a different program was used in the M-37. Obviously Infiniti thought they had the problem solved with the M and they didn't. There now is a total remapping program available for the M-37 which does satisfy all transmission quirks. I know since I had it done this past Friday and it makes a world of difference. At first my dealer claimed there was no such program though other posts on Edmund's claimed to have received it. I finally called Infiniti Customer Service who also claimed to know of no transmission fixes for the M-37. After much prodding they checked with their engineers who confirmed there was a fix but that they had not issued a "Service Bulletin" yet so dealers could not locate it. Emily, at ext 1547, had to call my dealer and tell them how to download the fix. It took about an hour to install and instantly every quirk vanished like magic.
    Wow!!! Really?
    I am very excited to hear that news! Did it really fix the issue with tranny? I am hoping the issue is resolved with the accelleration issues as well?? I slow down to take a corner, hit the pedal and it hesitates for 2 to 3 seconds. Does the tranny fix address this issue?? Infiniti has given me such a run around. As recent as last week they said they knew of "nothing and no update for the tranny" so I'm hoping I have the same experience as you. I actually have a work order in for this Wednesday and I spoke to Emma at ext 7107 and she knew nothing about it either so she is having the regional quality control person call me wednesday before my appointment. I think I'm gonna call the girl you recommended though, you said "emily at ext 1547" right?? I am hoping she can have the service guy do the same thing as your service guy but mine is a "pompous [non-permissible content removed]" and thinks he already knows everything so I've got a battle ahead I'm sure.
    Please let me know if you know the exact name of the software update...thank you sir...
    jck4u;
    You mention that the tranny is better after the update but still NOT what you would expect. Please tell me the hesitation is better? Also, please tell me that while in "sport mode" it doesn't cruise in 6th gear at 25mph?? I spent 55k on a car that pisses me off every time I drive it....UGH!!

I contacted a consumer affairs attorney and he said that if we can get enough complaints on the tranny together we will have a case. Please let me know how your tranny is acting now January 31st 2011...thank you...
    Bobbyzjr, the hesitation is better but not completely eliminated. Overall shifting is acceptable now but not what I had hoped for. Guess I can learn to live with it even though it still gets confused sometime and can shift hard right after shifting smoothly. Don't know why.

I have played around with the sport mode but don't like how it performs. Rather than "cruse around in 6th gear at 25mph", I find that it likes to keep itself in a lower gear and to require more rpm's to upshift. It's more like stay in 3rd gear at 25mph and refuse to upshift. It would probably be fun on a curvy mountain road but is mostly useless in any kind of normal driving unless you plan to use a lot of throttle and prepare for a speeding ticket. I just keep it in normal mode.
  • bgardinerbgardiner Member Posts: 19
    I met a quirky tranny in Hong Kong once but thats a different story. Seriously had mine for a few weeks now and have really been trying to notice if the trans felt strange. It doesnt at all. I hate that damn ECO mode, never use that crap, otherwise (IMHO) this car is as good if not better than the BMW 5 I just turned in. May feel different in 3 yrs but for now I am excited to be driving this car, and at 200/month less than my old BMW lease it a good deal on the wallet as well. IF I begin to notice problems with the trans is this simething Infiniti has addressed?
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2011
    I took the M37x for a long test drive this week. A few (subjective) observations:

GOOD:

-- The car is beautiful- looks great in both black colors and blue slate
    -- The interior on the deluxe touring is really nice- looks great in stone or java, and the silver powder went well with both colors- seats were pretty comfortable
    -- The interior on the non-deluxe touring was appropriate for the class- but the deluxe package really seemed to enhance the look a lot
    -- The upgraded Bose stereo with the deluxe vs premium (16 speaker vs 10 speaker) was a bit better- but the difference wasn't drastic
    -- The car handles the road very well for its size- took it on some sharp twisty roads
    -- Acceleration is also quick as expected

BAD:

-- I found the transmission very annoying in normal and sport modes. It would hunt and peck, upshift sharply at times, then downshift very harshly. Honestly, for me it added an unwanted jerkiness to an otherwise comflortable/sporty ride
    -- The engine is made to rev high (to 7000 RPMs) as it shifts gears. This created an experience where the engine was loudly revving while the transmission was shifting very abruptly- not luxurious or appropriately sporty in my view
    -- I drove two cars and had the same reaction to both.

End of the day, I can see a lot of reasons to get this car- particularly with current lease/buy incentives- but make sure you can tolerate the driving characteristics. Some may enjoy it, but I thought it really detracted from a product that otherwise had a lot going for it, and am not sure I would want it as my daily driver. The salesman said that the transmisison would adapt to the driver eventually, and maybe it would, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk that it doesn't!

Some have posted about a software fix for the transmission- any more experiences with that fix?
    I've had my M-37 since April, 2010. The transmission behavior could only be described as totally unbefitting a luxury car or even a mid-price car. Although some dealers still do not know of it's existance, there is a remapping program available for the transmission. While the remapping does not bring the transmission to 100% perfection, it does make it about 95% of the way. The adaptive learning works about another 3% for a 98% fix. That's all you are going to get. Now if they would only bring the navigation up to date for roads in my area built after 2003!!!! The map shows me driving through empty fields when the roads appear on a 2003 AAA map.
  • andy_wandy_w Member Posts: 2
    The news release from Infiniti says 2012 M models will be available starting March 16 -- not sure if all M37, M56, and M35h are available at once or they will be released on different dates. It mentioned that M37 and M56 will have "minor changes" from 2011 models -- does anyone know exactly what those changes are? For example, will the transmission shift be made more smooth per complains of some owners? I guess the answers may decide if it's worth waiting for a new M, or get a 2011 model with a possible discount.
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    2011 M - Infiniti released a reflash for the Transmission Control Module (TCM) ITB11008
    The 7 speed automatic transmission has one or more of the following conditions: - DTC P0729, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, and/or P1734 stored in the ECM and/or TCM - Excessive engine braking felt after lifting off the accelerator pedal - Hesitation when accelerating from a stop - Harsh downshift from 7th gear during hard acceleration - Excessive vibration during light acceleration.

The software patch made a world of difference in the shifting of my M. Much better shifting in all gears as well as Gas mileage improved!!! I'm happy now and have gained acceptance once again in Infiniti.
    HTH
  • ppang78ppang78 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Did you guys finally figure it out the Quirky transmission problems with Infiniti??
    I leased 2011 M37 two weeks ago and realized my transmission has the problem past weekend.
    I just stopped by this site to see if there are any case like me, and surprised there are many people have the same problem as me.
    I randomly experience hesitation 2-3 sec when I press gas pedal from the slow driving or stop position and upshift aggressively, not proportionally.
    It smooth and consistant mostly and I expect this mode should be all the time, but it is not.
    It over accelerated and not consistant very randomly.
    I will call and talk to my Infiniti service center in Chicago where I used to go, and see what they say.
    I just worry what if they say this is the normal operation.
    I had experienced this problem for the better(actually worst) part of a year with my early (April 2010) model M-37. The dealer insisted I was the only one complaining. That lasted for months on end only to be replaced with "a fix is in the works." When I started reading about the fix at this wonderful sight my dealer claimed to know nothing about it. I contacted Infiniti customer service who in turn contacted the dealer while I was on the phone.

There is a re-mapping of the computer available which was done to my car. This resulted in about a 97% fix. While I can live with this until the end of my lease, after five various Infiniti's I doubt I will stay with the brand. This is just no way to treat the (repeated) purchaser of a $50,000 vehicle. They should be ashamed of themselves releasing a car like this and the subsequent treatment of an obviously loyal customer. By the way, the Navigation system is years out of date. There is a road I drive on twice a week that shows on a 2003 edition AAA map that still shows me driving through an open field. Entrances and exits on Florida's Turnpike as well as speed limits are also years out of date and so far there is no fix for this.